Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Fossil Fuel

Old December 17th, 2009, 5:00 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Fossil Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Other Arab states have managed to diversify without any special assistance, although Dubai's is looking a bit shaky (Dubai-ous?) just now.
LOL Wab, that was cute.

As you guys might know by now, I'm a moderate republican, but I think fossil fuel is medieval already. (I'm also a fan of science and sci fi).
Just compare the advances in electronics, not to mention cost to consumers, and the whole notion of industry (not just the automobile industry) still being so dependent on fossil fuels and (primitive) internal combustion engines is sad. It just doesn't make good sense to be bound to a finite energy resource, and a dirty one at that, and again one which forces such close ties with countries which are socially retarded in terms of human rights and religion. (and by retarded, I mean the classic definition - slowed progress or tempo)

It's ironic that up in the sky (so to speak), we have the greatest, most insanely powerful fusion reactor around for light years, (the sun) but we can barely seem to tap a significant fraction of it's vast potential. I'd like to see satellites up in high orbit capturing the solar radiation, and beaming that back to earth. It's been discussed before, so it's something under consideration at least.

OTOH, transitions from one paradigm to another, especially one in which industry and world economies are so sensitive, must be made gradually and carefully. Too rapid and drastic of a change could cause upheavals. Growing pains are bad enough.

Though I wonder, say, 50 years from now, the world has mostly weaned itself off oil. What will happen to Saudi and other middle east countries whose very livelihood was based on oil exports, will their economies collapse? Will this drive terrorism to new heights? Or will they be smart enough to take the fortunes they have now and invest them in other technologies?

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2010, 12:20 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Re: Fossil Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grymmditch View Post
Though I wonder, say, 50 years from now, the world has mostly weaned itself off oil. What will happen to Saudi and other middle east countries whose very livelihood was based on oil exports, will their economies collapse? Will this drive terrorism to new heights? Or will they be smart enough to take the fortunes they have now and invest them in other technologies?
Good point Gymmditch. What will happen there? I figure it'll drive them to find new ways to make money and find alternative energy sources. As for their economies, they'll certainly be affected by it and it will probably take quite some time for them to recover from the blow of losing one of their most prized resources.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives