Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Ender's Game and related series

Old November 29th, 2010, 1:45 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Re: Ender's Game and related series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
i think you get the most out of it if you read it after having read all the others.
Hmm. Interesting. I will definitely have to read that one. Although, I don't really care to reread any of the others (aside from Ender's Game). I would like to reread the Bean series again, but I have mixed feelings about the Ender books.

Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2010, 2:54 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
Hmm. Interesting. I will definitely have to read that one. Although, I don't really care to reread any of the others (aside from Ender's Game). I would like to reread the Bean series again, but I have mixed feelings about the Ender books.
I agree the only one i ever really reread is ender's game, I enjoyed the other books, but they werent nearly as good. I did however enjoy ender in exile because it bridged the gap between ender and speaker really well. Its interesting to see the theory behind what happened after the fact, it brings new light to the story. its definitely worth a look. You will have to let me know what you think.

I liked the bean series as well, esp early on but i felt like a lot of the later books became more about the politics and less about the story of the characters which kind of grated on me a bit. But i really enjoy the core story of bean and petra.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old December 28th, 2010, 9:06 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
For anyone looking for more into ender's realm I have read the full series. ender's shadow is a great read if you like parallel novels from another perspective, i thought writing from beans perspective was really interesting. That whole "shadow" series i enjoyed immensely but it did get very political at times with peter and some of the other battle school grads, but it is good to see he outgrows his fierce mean streak.
Ok, I'm going to try Ender's Shadow. I'd like to see the parallel to Ender's Game. I'll chime back in when I'm done.

Quote:
I read it for the first time at 15 or 16 and thought it was appropriate for me at the time, however i always had a slightly below average reading level growing up. I would definitely classify it as YA even though it didnt really exist when this book was written. The standard rule is the age range for the book is usually geared at the age of the main character in the story, but this is not a hard fast rule and probably isnt the case because this was written before ya really existed like it does today, and also taking into account that the main character is a child genius. So that in mind depending on the reader id say 12-13 is probably the youngest if they are an advanced reader. But im certainly not an expert there.
I always ask because I have a 9 year old who is an advanced reader. She can take complicated plots and subplots and a wide range of vocabulary, but the content has to be right. For example, she can read Twilight and understand it, but I think as a 9 year old the content is not something she should be delving into (the romance aspect, in particular).

I know Ender starts off as a 6 year old, but he always seems about 11 to me. I guess that's the genius part coming into play. For a 9 year old, she would get the battle school part, but I don't think she'd understand the political commentary that Valentine and Peter engage in.

Old December 28th, 2010, 11:53 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
Ok, I'm going to try Ender's Shadow. I'd like to see the parallel to Ender's Game. I'll chime back in when I'm done.

I always ask because I have a 9 year old who is an advanced reader. She can take complicated plots and subplots and a wide range of vocabulary, but the content has to be right. For example, she can read Twilight and understand it, but I think as a 9 year old the content is not something she should be delving into (the romance aspect, in particular).

I know Ender starts off as a 6 year old, but he always seems about 11 to me. I guess that's the genius part coming into play. For a 9 year old, she would get the battle school part, but I don't think she'd understand the political commentary that Valentine and Peter engage in.
agreed i still to this day dont think i 100% understand the political commentary or the interchanges with Graff at the beginning of each chapter. I guess that's why these kids are super smart.... The only scene id be concerned about is the violence in the shower where ender kills the bully. but even then that isnt overly graphic. I think really an advanced reader at 9 could understand a majority of the story esp everything surrounding ender and battle school.

Old January 22nd, 2011, 6:21 am
First Year

I reread this book recently for my English class!

I absolutly loved the military and psycological strategies. And Ender's characterization was very believable, which helped me sympathize with and understand him better.

But one point my English teacher brought up is that it's unrealistic how smart all the kids at Battle School are. I disagree with him. It's the future. It's completly plausible that they were slightly genetically enhanced (definatly not to the extent Bean was!). Or that a generation or so before them was, and they passed on these mutated genes to their children and grandchildren.
My teacher also said that Card's Mormon values influenced the book a lot. I don't really think so. I didn't even notice them the first time I read it ( but, then again, I was in seventh grade).
Any other opinions on this??

Also, is there any recent news on the movie??

Old January 22nd, 2011, 7:48 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyWeasley View Post
I reread this book recently for my English class!

I absolutly loved the military and psycological strategies. And Ender's characterization was very believable, which helped me sympathize with and understand him better.

But one point my English teacher brought up is that it's unrealistic how smart all the kids at Battle School are. I disagree with him. It's the future. It's completly plausible that they were slightly genetically enhanced (definatly not to the extent Bean was!). Or that a generation or so before them was, and they passed on these mutated genes to their children and grandchildren.
My teacher also said that Card's Mormon values influenced the book a lot. I don't really think so. I didn't even notice them the first time I read it ( but, then again, I was in seventh grade).
Any other opinions on this??

Also, is there any recent news on the movie??
Unfortunately the movie will never happen until card approves a script and he wont do that unless they stay true to his story, which i dont blame him for. So until that happens no movie but id love to see it one day as a movie.

As for how smart the kids are, ive read a lot of the side short stories and the parallel bean series. There is a reason Bean is as smart as he is, it has to do with DNA manipulation and among other things. That offshoot goes into grave detail to explain his history.

As for ender if you read some of the more obscure side stories like a war of gifts and first meetings it goes into the back story of ender's parents, and you will find that they too were candidates and were very very smart.

I dont think the level of genius these kids exhibit is unrealistic in the least. There are the above explanations for one, but also if you look at today's society they are always doing stories about child geniuses and 8 year olds going to college, it is not unheard of. And if you rounded up all the kids like this in the world you would essentially have what they have at battle school. They are out there you just dont hear about them every day. And if if the level of their genius was realistic, its called science fiction for a reason

Old January 24th, 2011, 4:52 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyWeasley View Post
I disagree as well. They have the whole earth to mine super intelligent children from, and you can see in Battle School that they manage to represent many countries in the story. We learn in Ender's shadow that there are a series of tests that many agents (of presumably all sorts) go out an perform on children. I'd also say that Ender is much, much younger than the average launchie and he is the exception to the rule.

Quote:
Interesting - I'm not Mormon, so if someone on the board who has read the book and is can chime in, I'd love to hear your opinions on that. I can see the idea of restricting the number of children one can have and the practicing religion in secret for fear of being ostracized being Mormon-ish, but I think that would work for many religions as well. There was a big emphasis in Ender's Game that there was no longer religion, except at the very end when in pure jubilation people 'knelt or lay prostrate as if recalling some former religion' (don't have the exact quote nearby).

Old May 28th, 2011, 5:03 am
Third Year

I just finished the 4th book in the main series. I have to say, I absolutely loved the first one, but wasn't so much a fan of any of the ones after that.

Old May 28th, 2011, 5:12 am
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaafeMJ View Post
I just finished the 4th book in the main series. I have to say, I absolutely loved the first one, but wasn't so much a fan of any of the ones after that.
The back trilogy is very very different, it takes things a bit on a tangent and isnt in my opinion the same type of story I liked the story but not nearly as much as ender's game. I dont think he can top that ever. If you loved ender's game i really recommend the bean series starting with ender's shadow, also if you want to learn more about how ender thinks read ender in exile it takes place between ender's game and speaker.

Old May 28th, 2011, 7:33 am

Quote:
If you loved ender's game i really recommend the bean series starting with ender's shadow,
Seconded. I loved Ender's Shadow, too. Also did not love the Ender series nearly as much as Ender's Game. Thanks for the tip about Ender in Exile; that's one I haven't read.

Old May 29th, 2011, 12:44 am
Third Year

Thanks for the tips! I'll check them out. Bean was my favorite character, other than Ender, in the first book, so I'm interested to see things from his POV.

Old August 1st, 2011, 10:00 pm
First Year

Quote:
Has anyone ever tried reading Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow chapter for chapter? The chapters don't always match up, but once they get to battle school they correlate pretty well; it is very interesting to see the same events play out from two points of view, and a more intense experience than reading first one book entirely and then the other.
I haven't done this, but what I did the last time I read all the books was read ALL of the stories (including the short stories) in chronological order, so I read Ender's Shadow right after Ender's game.

I split it up into 5 sections - before the war, ender's war, after the war, rise of the hegemon, and ender's future. this is how it ended up looking

01 Before the War
01 - Mazer in Prison (Short Story)
02 - The Polish Boy (Short Story)
03 - Teacher's Pest (Short Story)
04 - Pretty Boy (Short Story)
05 - Cheater (Short Story)

02 Ender's War
01 - Ender's Game (Novel)
02 - Ender's Game (Short Story)
03 - Ender's Stocking (Short Story)
04 - A War of Gifts (Short Story)
05 - Ender's Shadow (Novel)

03 After the War
01 - Ender's Homecoming (Short Story)
02 - Ender in Exile (Novel)
03 - A Young Man with Prospects (Short Story)
04 - Ender in Flight (Short Story)
05 - The Gold Bug (Short Story)

04 Rise of the Hegemon
01 - Shadow of the Hegemon (Novel)
02 - Shadow Puppets (Novel)
03 - Shadow of the Giant (Novel)

05 Ender's Future
01 - Investment Counselor (Short Story)
02 - Speaker for the Dead (Novel))
03 - Xenocide (Novel)
04 - Children of the Mind (Novel)

I have the comics I haven't read them yet tho

Always

proud member of the Pottermore Battalion!
StrikeQueen203 on Pottermore
Old August 1st, 2011, 10:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphoenixrising View Post
what I did the last time I read all the books was read ALL of the stories (including the short stories) in chronological order
That's really cool! Thanks for posting that list. I've never read any of the short stories. Are they collected in an anthology?

Old August 1st, 2011, 11:04 pm
First Year

Quote:
That's really cool! Thanks for posting that list. I've never read any of the short stories. Are they collected in an anthology?
I know there is one book 'first meetings in the enderverse' that has the first 4, including the short story ender's game. I am not sure about the others

Always

proud member of the Pottermore Battalion!
StrikeQueen203 on Pottermore
Old August 23rd, 2011, 6:44 am
First Year

I love this series so much. I'm so excited for Shadows in Flight this November. I was also excited to learn that there will be an additional book after this one. Most of the characters are interesting to me and all of the books are different. Ender's Game and Shadow are sci-fi military type novels. The rest of Bean's novels are political intrigue with a war going on and The rest of the Ender books are philosophical in nature

Old August 23rd, 2011, 2:47 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VortexWizard View Post
I love this series so much. I'm so excited for Shadows in Flight this November. I was also excited to learn that there will be an additional book after this one. Most of the characters are interesting to me and all of the books are different. Ender's Game and Shadow are sci-fi military type novels. The rest of Bean's novels are political intrigue with a war going on and The rest of the Ender books are philosophical in nature
wait shadows in flight comes out in november? I didnt think it had a release date yet.... a quick check on amazon says january 17, 2012. guess we have some more waiting to do

Old August 24th, 2011, 2:36 am

Quote:
wait shadows in flight comes out in november? I didnt think it had a release date yet.... a quick check on amazon says january 17, 2012. guess we have some more waiting to do
I hadn't even heard of this book, so that's really exciting to me! I read all of them just before Shadow of the Giant came out, but I never actually read Giant. It's been so long that I'd need to reread all of the shadow series.

Old August 27th, 2011, 1:37 pm
First Year

Interesting, everyone else here seems to think Ender's Game is the best of his Ender books. But I thought the books were better as the series continued. Talked to a friend and they said they liked how clever, action-packed and surprising Ender's Game was. It seems to me the later books like Xenocide and Children of the Mind are slower, more philosophical and based on science ethics and the nature of humanity rather than characters.

I saw the change similar to the difference between HP 3 and 4. The author and readers had changed so the book developed by becoming darker, complex characters added and larger themes at play. I do agree the series really does change after Ender's Game.

Also, it depends on your age. I read Xenocide for the first time when I was 16, and didn't love it. But I revisited it at the age of 20 and really enjoyed it. I felt I understood it much more. If you tried to read the rest of Ender's series when you were young, I recommend you give it another try later. You might change your mind.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy