Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall

College and Universities

Old March 28th, 2007, 10:11 pm
Second Year

Re: What's Your Major?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amav14 View Post
Even though I'm still a freshman in high school, I'm pretty sure that I will double-major in math and in music composition.
Very useful combination, that.

Old March 29th, 2007, 1:18 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxicon View Post
Very useful combination, that.
And?! Since when did utility come into it?

Just to add what I'm doing, a degree in Natural Science that will end up as an M Sci in Chemistry.

Old March 29th, 2007, 2:16 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

I want to major in musical performances....

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old March 31st, 2007, 1:49 am
First Year

I got my BA in History with a minor in Art History and a certificate in Museum Studies. I'm working on my MA in Art History now.

Old May 4th, 2007, 12:30 am
Third Year

College and Universities

Going to a college or a univerisity is one of the most important things teens look forward to after graduating from high school. What college is on your mind? Are you already in college? What's your intended major? Are you scared? Do tragedies like Virginia Tech change your perception of college?

and most importantly
What do you expect to gain from going to college other than the education?

I got accepted to 7 colleges. All in New Jersey. I don't know what my major is, but it will probably be something to do with languages. I don't really know yet. Virginia Tech doesn't really change my mind about going to college but it makes me more aware that anything can happen. I am scared. I never been away from home for too long, but I'll get used to it. I expect to gain a lot of knowledge and to meet a LOT of new people.

Last edited by DrLazy_89; May 4th, 2007 at 12:45 am.
Old May 4th, 2007, 12:39 am
Third Year

Re: College and Universities

Well, I'd say that I'm a bit young to be thinking of college right now, but I would like to go to Oxford. I know, I know, a bit high hopes, but...

It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo...The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end... Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why... Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something...there's some good in this world... and it's worth fighting for.
--Samwise the Brave

If you think nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door.

Better to keep your mouth shut and look like an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Old May 4th, 2007, 12:42 am
Second Year

I'm going to Virginia Tech in the fall as a freshman. It's always been my first choice school, and an event like the one that occured isn't going to change my mind! I'm going to be majoring in Animal and Poultry Science.

As well as an education, I look forward to the college experience. I made it into honors and I'm going to be in the marching band, so I'm looking for more than enlightenment.

Yeah, they were all yellow
Old May 4th, 2007, 12:55 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Umm.....I've got three colleges that I'm looking into. I really like one of them, so maybe I'll get lucky. Also, I am getting a bit scared, this year has gone by fast and everyone keeps talking about us being Seniors next year. It's pretty scary. I've never been away from home without family and the colleges I want to go to are far away!!

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old May 4th, 2007, 1:03 am
First Year

oh man....you guys talking about just going to college makes me so sad.....i'm graduating from college next saturday. ugh, you guys are gonna have so much fun, i'm so jealous.

Old May 4th, 2007, 1:38 am
First Year

I'm thinking about Brown, Cornell, Emerson, Colgate and a couple more that I can't think of right now. I'm currently undecided on a major. I'm going to college in the fall of next year.
What happened at Virginia Tech makes me more aware about the campus that I'm on and the people around me, but it also makes colleges much safer because people are more aware of students that could be like Cho. I think people going to college should be excited about it, not scared, as it's supposed to be a great experience. So it hasn't really changed my perception of college too much.

Old May 4th, 2007, 3:54 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdtimes10 View Post
oh man....you guys talking about just going to college makes me so sad.....i'm graduating from college next saturday. ugh, you guys are gonna have so much fun, i'm so jealous.

Did you find college as difficult as people and teachers say it is?

Old May 4th, 2007, 7:36 am
First Year

College is more difficult than high school, and the classes do involve more work generally, although it's not too bad you're freshman year. There are some advantages: you have more time to complete assignments, oftentimes you complete them over the internet, you only have class 2-3 days a week usually, and you can bring your laptop to class. I like the freedom living away from home (although I do miss my friends and my cat).

At EIU, we signed u a banner to sent to VTech. The tragedy made me realize how vulnerable we are. It is hard to prevent this kind of the thing. Even Cho's teachers tried to help him, it still happened.

Old May 4th, 2007, 8:26 am
Second Year

I study in my second university already. Right after school I entered into one university at the faculty of economics and studied there for 2,5 years and finally left it (I did hated it). And then I entered another university where I study journalism. Actually it's pretty nice, but as i'm more into music now, I hardly attend my studies in university. But when I do it, it's not that bad. We study many things there, some are boring, some are quite interesting. But after almost 3 years of studying, me and my friends concluded that practice is the most important thing. And we have very little practice there, many students just try to find some work of journalist or reporter to have an opportunity to practice their skills.

Sirius is alive. In my heart.
Old May 4th, 2007, 8:31 am
Second Year

I graduated from Notre Dame in May of 2006. Loved every second I was there.

As for college being difficult, well, yes and no. It is definitely different than high school, but it is just another step, like going from jr high to high school. The biggest adjustment isn't really the classes themselves, its learning how to take care of yourself away from home. It is much easier to get distracted in college, so that's really the biggest thing you have to watch out for.

I'm not a Harry Potter addict. I choose to go to conventions, theme parks, book release parties and movie premiers and to spend hundreds of dollars per year on licensed merchandise. Continuously reading, discussing and analyzing the books is simply a hobby. I can stop any time I want to. No, I really mean it. Seriously. Addicts can't stop. That's the difference between me and an addict.

GalleonSickle4 on Pottermore
Wand- 13" Beech and Dragon Heartstring, unbending
Proud student of House
Old May 4th, 2007, 9:06 am
Third Year

Uhh... yeah, I might get into college a year earlier as the college I want accepts year 10s. I'm a nervous wreck though because I can't get in without an interview and that interview is on the 16th (the day after my braces get altered AGAIN! so I hope I don't cry out in pain half way through...)
It's also scary because if I do get in (cross fingers, touch wood!) I won't know ANYONE there.
The VT tragedy doesn't scare me, no but everything else does! lol, I mean I can only apply to this one college because it's the only one near by that does both geography and photography so... *bites lip*

What do I expect to gain? Experience, really, with future (with all the work experience) and experience with working with people in class and all that, because... >.< it's a huge jump going from homeschooled for a year and a half then jumping to college where you don't know anyone. So I'm hoping to get in this year so I can get the best for my GCSEs and all...
also, I expect to gain confidence, or so I should being thrown into a pit of lions and the only thing that'll help me live is if I die!!! *is really nervous, duh!*
Wish me luck for the interview!

Old May 6th, 2007, 5:29 am
Hogwarts Graduate

What college is on your mind?

NYU. I'd really like to be able to transfer into NYU, assuming I choose a major it offers.

Are you already in college?

I'm starting in the Fall.

What's your intended major?

I'm going in undecided. Where I'll end up, though, is anybody's guess.

Computer Science
Business
Library Science
Communication and Journalism
Media and Communications
Etc.

Are you scared?

Very much so.

Do tragedies like Virginia Tech change your perception of college?

No, not really. I'm starting out on a really small, quiet campus so that kind of thing isn't on my mind. Now, that's not to say something like this couldn't happen on my campus. I just feel safe going there.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old May 6th, 2007, 5:41 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLazy_89 View Post
Did you find college as difficult as people and teachers say it is?
It depends on where you go, I think. I went to a typical (US) public high school, then went to college at a highly selective elite university where everyone had been top of their classes and had high standardized test scores and all that. I found it a huge leap in difficulty. I also loved it.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old May 6th, 2007, 8:57 pm
Fourth Year

For me its Interventional Radiology in the long run.

im applying to basically every med school in ontario, and more than likely a few in the states. Big competitors for me right now are Queens, McMaster, Mcgill, and Western.

Im not too phased by college incidents, because its something i NEED to do... and if i don't do it i wouldnt feel like ive lived my life to the fullest... so yah its a chance im willin to take

Old May 6th, 2007, 9:16 pm
The Fairy Godmother

I love that the V Tech problem is not scaring anyone off from getting their college education. The V Tech shooting was the exception, not the norm. I have read a few posts where people are worried about being so far from home and not knowing anyone there. Just remember almost everyone there in their freshman year feels the same.
I am in college right now. It has been many years since I was in school so I started at the Community College and will be transferring to a University next summer. I love it. The thing I have noticed is with the freedom of college comes a great responsiblility for those fresh out of high school. It is easy to not go to class everyday. And though your professors won't say anything about missed days or missed assignments your grades will show it. You are now paying for your education and it is up to you to get the most out of it.

Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue,
and the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true

Last edited by CelestLBeing; May 6th, 2007 at 9:18 pm.
Old May 6th, 2007, 11:44 pm
Second Year

Ive just finished first year college-exams start on tuesday

Im doing biochemistry with physiology in the hopes of becoming a dietcian

First year for me was hard,being away from home and all for the first time-i was horribly homesick for the first 2 months.However i really settled in by the end of the year and love it here now.also ive learned a few mistakes not to repeat in second year ie.not going to class!it really does make a huge difference.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Fun & Games > The Great Hall