Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Little Questions Answered v.17

Old September 22nd, 2009, 2:48 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

Little Questions Answered v.17

This thread is meant for short questions and short discussions related to the Potterverse which are supposed to get a clear answer. In depth discussions can be done in existing threads (especially concerning analysis of characters).

Version 16 can be found here

Last few posts of old thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker15 View Post
Hey! I was wondering why Voldemort didn't try to abolish Sorting when he first gained control at Hogwarts; why did he wait till a year later, at the end of the book? Just seemed strange to me..... Maybe it was just for dramatic effect, or a plot device so Neville could pull the sword out of the Hat? Thoughts?

For that matter, if the Sorting Hat was burned, why was it still Sorting students nineteen years later?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord7 View Post
It was burned, but not destroyed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
It probably wasn't even burned, it was just on fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ally_xx View Post
It probably had enchantments upon it to stop it from being damaged.

Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2009, 9:19 am
Malum Veneficus

Re: Little Questions Answered v.17

Yay! New version

I would agree with ally_xx. The hat wouldn't have survived a thousand years if not for protective charms. I don't know about Voldemort's intentions, though. It seemed to me like a thought of the moment. Not a very-well thought out plan. Probably he wasn't expecting people to defy him after Harry's death. And Neville's action took him by suprise.
---
A question of my own. Can the contents of the Room of Requirement change while someone's inside it? In one of the DA meetings Harry thought that he needed a whistle. And he found one on a shelf in front of him. Does that mean it appeared when he needed it. Or was it there on the shelf in the first place?

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 9:26 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

Yes I think the room of requirement caters to the needs of the person who is using it. So when you think of something it appears. Harry needed a whistle to get everyone's attention so the whistle appeared. In DH more and more people came into the Room to hide from the Carrows and the room grew bigger and provided hammocks and even a bathroom when girls came to stay.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old September 22nd, 2009, 1:44 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Yes I think the room of requirement caters to the needs of the person who is using it. So when you think of something it appears. Harry needed a whistle to get everyone's attention so the whistle appeared. In DH more and more people came into the Room to hide from the Carrows and the room grew bigger and provided hammocks and even a bathroom when girls came to stay.
It seems like the basic essence of the room cannot change while occupied, though. Harry needed everyone out of the room before he could get it to change back to the room where the diadem was hidden. Plus, the room did not become what he wanted it to be while Malfoy was in there.

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old September 22nd, 2009, 3:04 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
It seems like the basic essence of the room cannot change while occupied, though. Harry needed everyone out of the room before he could get it to change back to the room where the diadem was hidden. Plus, the room did not become what he wanted it to be while Malfoy was in there.
Thats true. But this could be due to the fact that Malfoy and Harry needed different things. Also Harry needed to get people out, because he wanted something different than what they did. He wanted the hidden objects room. While they needed a place to hide and get ready for the battle. So probably in such cases, the room doesn't change and simply keeps its form.

Needing a whistle didn't contradict with the other occupiers' needs, though.

Old September 22nd, 2009, 9:27 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
Thats true. But this could be due to the fact that Malfoy and Harry needed different things. Also Harry needed to get people out, because he wanted something different than what they did. He wanted the hidden objects room. While they needed a place to hide and get ready for the battle. So probably in such cases, the room doesn't change and simply keeps its form.

Needing a whistle didn't contradict with the other occupiers' needs, though.
I agree. If the occupants needs contradict each others, than the room will not do anything.

My wand! Made by Christian Mills (captain_mills) from the Mills Family Wand Company.
Click here to see more pictures.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 9:56 pm
Malum Veneficus

A question related to Veelas. Do veelas affect men who are already in love with someone else? Fluer didn't seem to have much of an effect on Harry -who had affection to Cho-. Yet she had great effect on Ron. Who wasn't in love with anyone, then. Also she didn't have real effect on Cedric or Krum who were both in love, iirc. Could love possibly be something that works against Veelas?

Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:01 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
A question related to Veelas. Do veelas affect men who are already in love with someone else? Fluer didn't seem to have much of an effect on Harry -who had affection to Cho-. Yet she had great effect on Ron. Who wasn't in love with anyone, then. Also she didn't have real effect on Cedric or Krum who were both in love, iirc. Could love possibly be something that works against Veelas?
You make an extremely good point. I think that you may be on to something. I'm going to say yes.

My wand! Made by Christian Mills (captain_mills) from the Mills Family Wand Company.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:07 pm
Eldest Gruff

It's a good suggestion, but I don't think we can give a doubtless answer to it based on what we know from the books.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 12:08 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

With the herds of Hippogriffs and Thestrals living at Hogwarts is there anything in canon that those herds are the property of the school or are they the property of the MoM ? I know that the MoM has the power to order them killed but who do they belong to ?

twins

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted

Last edited by twinsrule26; September 23rd, 2009 at 6:34 am.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 1:30 am
Third Year

I would think that they are the property of the school. If they were property of the Ministry then there would probably be a lot of paperwork that would need to be filled out in order for Hagrid to get the animals for lessons and things like that, and Hagrid wouldn't like to do that every lesson.

Also, I think that if the animals were property of the Ministry, Lucius might've been after the Ministry instead of the school when Draco got hurt.

Another point is that the thestrals were just lying around in OotP when Harry and Co. needed to use them. I think that the Ministry would have put better protection against potentially dangerous animals such as thestrals.

Deathly Hallows Part 2 almost made me a Snape-fan. . .almost. But then I re-read Deathly Hallows and I came back to my senses and the world was the way it's supposed to be.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 2:02 am
Third Year

I think that they probably belonged to the school.

Old September 23rd, 2009, 4:30 am
Fourth Year

I think that since Hagrid cares them for and uses them for lessons, it is safe to assume that the school has some responsibility over them and can probably call them their property.

-JR

Just & Loyal
Old September 23rd, 2009, 9:58 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Thank you all for your answers

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old September 23rd, 2009, 10:12 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
With the herds of Hippogriffs and Thestrals living at Hogwarts is there anything in canon that those herds are the property of the school or are they the property of the MoM ? I know that the MoM has the power to order them killed but who do they belong to ?

twins

OotP, The Eye of the Snake'Thestrals,' said Hagrid proudly and Hermione gave a soft 'Oh!' of comprehension at Harry's shoulder. 'Hogwarts has got a whole herd of 'em in here....'

OotP, The Eye of the Snake 'Curse this lot don' get a lot o' work, it's mainly pullin' the school carriges unless Dumbledore's takin' a long journey an' don' want ter Apparate - an here's another couple, look -'

I got the impression from what Hagrid says about the Thestrals that they belong to the school who keep them in the forest.
I am not so sure about the Hippogriffs. Other than Buckbeak we don't see any other Hippogriffs at Hogwarts, except for during Hagrid's lesson. It could be possible that he may have just acquired them for that particular lesson. Although, the letter Hagrid recieves from the Committee for the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures, says:

OotP, The FireboltThe hearing will take place on April 20th, and we ask you to present yourself and your Hippogriff at the Committee's offices in London on that date.

Old September 23rd, 2009, 6:36 pm
Third Year

As for whether they belong to the MOM I suppose that depends on whether the schools land is ownded by them. In England state schools are owned by the government, up until OotP I assumed that Hogwarts would be similar however, considering the level of indignation at minor interference it seems that that is not the case. So is Hogwarts more like a public school?
My question then, is whether students pay school fee's, people like Riddle and Harry were offered a 'small fund' to help pay for books and supplies but fee's weren't mentioned. The school seems to me to be open to everyone, the exclusivity being magical abilities.

Old September 23rd, 2009, 8:58 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMemory View Post
As for whether they belong to the MOM I suppose that depends on whether the schools land is ownded by them. In England state schools are owned by the government, up until OotP I assumed that Hogwarts would be similar however, considering the level of indignation at minor interference it seems that that is not the case. So is Hogwarts more like a public school?
My question then, is whether students pay school fee's, people like Riddle and Harry were offered a 'small fund' to help pay for books and supplies but fee's weren't mentioned. The school seems to me to be open to everyone, the exclusivity being magical abilities.
I think that Hogwarts is not owned by the MoM. Also, I think it's free to anyone
with magical abilities. The money Riddle received was probably for books and clothes & stuff.

Old September 23rd, 2009, 9:11 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMemory View Post
Was Harry offered fund? I don't think so. Hagrid just showed him his vault at Gringotts, and Harry got some gold from there, with which he bought all his school things.
About fees, I don't recall anything from canon which states that students pay fees. I've always wondered about how possibly could Dumbledor pay his teachers if students don't pay fees in the first place. The only reason I think students didn't pay anything, is that the Weasleys were never worried about paying any gold to the school. They were usually worried about the amount of books they'll have to buy.

Old September 24th, 2009, 4:18 am
Caninophile

It's possible that Hogwarts owns the land and buildings, but the school itself is funded by the MoM and donations from the School Governors. Thus, the herds would belong to Hogwarts.

Introducing the father & son team of Ricky and Jasper! (They might be related to the Malfoys, possibly maybe)

Ricky: One day you shall be a pretty as I, my boy.
Jasper: Yes father!

I'm just Slytherin' around...
Old September 24th, 2009, 4:57 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel_Fubster View Post
It's possible that Hogwarts owns the land and buildings, but the school itself is funded by the MoM and donations from the School Governors. Thus, the herds would belong to Hogwarts.
Perhaps the wise founders established an endowment which has prospered over the centuries?

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References