Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4



View Poll Results: Was Snape a good friend to Lily?
Yes, he couldn't have been a better or more devoted friend. 12 12.90%
Yes. If only she had appreciated him more he wouldn't have joined the DE. 13 13.98%
Kind of. He should have listened to her concerns instead of focussing on his jealousy. 49 52.69%
No. He sympathised with a group of pure-blood supremacist terrorists while he was friends with her. 23 24.73%
Absolutely not. SWM was only the last straw and he'd failed her before. 9 9.68%
Oh dear, that's one hell of a poll. *hides* 19 20.43%
A pony? 20 21.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old January 30th, 2010, 6:56 pm
UselessCharmMaster  Undisclosed.gif UselessCharmMaster is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 6175 days
Location: Glass jar on Snape's desk
Posts: 1,148
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza101 View Post
I think the only young, selfish and immature person in this pairing was Snape. I don't think Snape showed Lily any loyalty at all, and the only thing I could see him being generous with, was a racial insult. If you are loyal to a friend you do not insult them when they are trying to help you. I love the Snape who turned to the light. But IMO he had to do a 180 degree turn when he did so.
That Snape loved Lily in his way, I don't dispute. But like everything else in his life, Snape had to grow into a better love by becoming a better man. Lily had to grow as well, but she never had to grow into a better person. She only had to grow into her potential, warrior for the Light, the other half of her marraige, and mother to her son. All this she did on her own. This is of coursae my opinion only.

The bold is mine. Yes, Lily didn't have to grow into a better person - because she didn't have enough time or possibility to do so. I'm sorry, but to get married and have a child isn't a proof of growing adult and mature to me. We know she was a member of the Order, but what did she really DO as a warrior of the light? We don't know anything about it. My feeling is that her ultimate achievement was to become pregnant. An important thing, I agree, but not such a heroical one.


__________________
Severus Snape: More Enigma Than Riddle

There is nothing wrong in being ambitious.
Sponsored Links
  #42  
Old January 30th, 2010, 7:42 pm
FurryDice's Avatar
FurryDice  Female.gif FurryDice is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4602 days
Location: Ireland
Age: 36
Posts: 2,591
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
Well for one thing, he was honest with her, which is a trait he still had years later. Maybe he was blunt and told her things she didn't like hearing (in a parallel with Luna Lovegood, imo, since Lily thought he was crazy to think Lupin was a werewolf) but Snape wasn't actually as secretive then as Lily's friends in Gryffindor, who were illegal Animagi.

Lily was blunt with Severus as well, so I am not "vilifying" her in saying this. They both let each other have a dose of truth about each other's friends, so they were pretty well-matched in that department.
For starters, the Marauders weren't Lily's friends, just her housemates. Also, Lily acknowledged Snape's criticism of the Marauders and agreed they were unpleasant. Snape responded to her criticism of his friends by changing the subject to "well, look what the Marauders did". As for Lupin, I don't see how this shows Lily didn't appreciate Severus, just that she had her own opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
He would known that Lily meant business and he had no one else in his life like Lily; he liked her, was impressed by her from when he was 9 or so. Seeing how determined Snape could be, I can't think if he was planning to be a DE and knew Lily would never ever accept him on that basis he must either leave the DEs or try and get over Lily IMO.
He didn't realise that Lily meant business about his DE plans until the break-up. While she was alive, moving on and getting over her meant continuing with his plan to join a group of genocidal terrorists.


Quote:
My opinion of Lily changed after reading the TPT. The two memories; the one after the werewolf incident and the SWM and its break up, changed Lily's character and not for the better either IMO.
In the break up, I see a Lily who wouldn't let herself be somebody's exception to their beliefs. As for the werewolf incident, it was wrong of Sirius, certainly, but did Severus really need to follow them around? If you dislike someone, you generally avoid them, not sneak around after them.

Quote:
I felt Lily, from the girl who went out of her way to keep a friendship because the friend was beloved to her, became a girl who did not want the friendship if the said friend would not change to suit her views IMO. I believe her views changed from the werewolf incident and that change reflected in her attitude towards Snape as well IMO.
Lily was advising Severus about friends who were bad news. That's what a good friend does, like advising a friend not to get involved with a group of people who do drugs or steal cars. Snape's views on blood were at odds with her very attendance at Hogwarts, I can see why she felt they didn't suit her views.

Quote:
And then in the two memories Lily is moving away from Snape so visibly that he was worried and needed reassurance from her. In the SWM his own mistake gave her an excuse to break it off IMO.

The most wonderful thing which I find very moving is that I feel Snape understood that. He tried a lot; in one memory he is even telling her that he won't let her be friends with them; he wants her to tell him they are friends and all that; but I think between that memory and the SWM, he had realised that Lily was torn and she wanted something he could not give her and when he realised that she could not even see how sorry he was, I think he went away.
I don't think Lily was looking for an excuse to end things with Severus. She had every right to end a friendship with someone who, on some level considered her inferior, but overlooked it because he loved her. And the word Mudblood does imply considering the target inferior, it's been clearly shown in the series.


Quote:
Lily was young, immature and selfish. Perhaps she could not return the generosity that Snape gave to the friendship. Or the loyalty. IMO
Snape's loyalty at that time (SWM) was to his future DE friends. He wanted to have his cake and eat it, imo. Friendship with Lily and his prejudiced beliefs. I can't, by any stretch of the imagination see how throwing the worst racial insult at a friend constitutes loyalty on Severus' part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
I understand that we are supposed to believe that it is very clear and cut and dried about the two paths. Where I differ is in what the two paths actually meant for a sixteen year old Hogwarts student who is limited by circumstances that he can't change.

And in that respect, there is no way that Severus could completely shun his housemates, nor ever be seen in the company of Mulciber and others, and spend all his spare time wooing Lily back. He would become an outcast in Slytherin, and still a target for the Gryffindors.

So when Lily dumped him, where else could he go? He had nowhere to go, as he was probably disliked by the other two houses as well, as shown in SWM.
Which always brings me to the question -what did Severus do for the first five years when his racist pals had a problem with his friendship with Lily? If he could stand up to them over that, couldn't he stand up to them over the word "mudblood" and interest in the DEs?


Quote:
Originally Posted by UselessCharmMaster View Post
I agree. It was a poor, unpopular, ugly Slytherin boy against rich, popular, handsome Qudditch star of Gryffindor House. There are options that never win.
There's also the tiny factor that James didn't care a jot about blood purity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
For starters, I reject the peer pressure argument out of hand: i.e., poor Severus was trapped and did not have any choice. Of course he had a choice. People overcome peer pressure all the time, in equally harrowing circumstances. Kids do it in gang-infested neighborhoods, endangering their own lives in order to do the right thing. I've done it personally in a drug-infested college dormitory - with serious consequences, I assure you. Given the dominance of choice as a theme in the series, arguing that Severus had no choice seems to argue against the point of the story. He had a choice, and he made the wrong one. I personally think that I'm respecting him, not disrespecting him, by acknowledging that.
I have to agree- Severus made his own choices. Neville stood up to the Trio in PS/SS, even though they were among his few friends. To say that Snape's actions in his earlier years were the responsibility of others completely negates the whole theme of choice. Snape did eventually make the right choice, after a huge wake up call when Lily was in danger. However, his choices use the word Mudblood and join the DEs were all his own responsibility. I don't think it's fair on Lily to say he joined the DEs because she ended the friendship. More accurate to say she ended the friendship because she saw that was the direction he was taking.
Which brings me to another question - even if it can be argued that Severus had "no choice" because he was in Slytherin and had nowhere else to go, what about after Hogwarts? There were other things he could have done them.

Quote:
As for James/Lily... I honestly don't think James has anything to do with anything on Lily's end. But "Mudblood" certainly had a lot to do with everything.
Especially as Lily didn't get together with James until 7th year.


__________________

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and sheís trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
  #43  
Old January 30th, 2010, 8:25 pm
RavenStar83's Avatar
RavenStar83  Female.gif RavenStar83 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4759 days
Age: 35
Posts: 718
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
Snape's loyalty at that time (SWM) was to his future DE friends. He wanted to have his cake and eat it, imo. Friendship with Lily and his prejudiced beliefs. I can't, by any stretch of the imagination see how throwing the worst racial insult at a friend constitutes loyalty on Severus' part.
I have to say, I don't see any evidence in the text that Lily broke away from Snape for any other reason than his attraction to the Dark Arts, the DE's, and calling her Mudblood. I think to not take that into consideration also undermines the kind of racism that exists in HP and how serious and dangerous it is. Even if Lily had feelings for James, I don't see how that was the bigger reason she broke away from Snape. Snape did become loyal to Lily later in his life when she was in danger and after she died. During their school days, no. And Snape having romantic feelings for her isn't enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UselessCharmMaster View Post
The bold is mine. Yes, Lily didn't have to grow into a better person - because she didn't have enough time or possibility to do so. I'm sorry, but to get married and have a child isn't a proof of growing adult and mature to me. We know she was a member of the Order, but what did she really DO as a warrior of the light? We don't know anything about it. My feeling is that her ultimate achievement was to become pregnant. An important thing, I agree, but not such a heroical one.
We don't even know what James, Sirius, Remus, or Peter did for the Order. We don't even know specifically what any fighters of the Order did. Are we seriously going to reduce Lily's character and her efforts to nothing all because she got "knocked up?"

And Harry wasn't the only child of Order members born during the war. (Neville anyone?)


__________________
In slow motion the flowers fell from my head an shattered like glass. And when I looked into the mirror, I was a beautiful milkmaid. Then I woke up crying, and I donít know why. ~Snape from Potter Puppet Pals



"In a lot of cases I think being the canon love interest for a much-beloved male character is the female character's death sentence." ~ thirty2flavors regarding the hate of female characters in fandom




~I'm Lily's best friend because she doesn't have one.~

Last edited by RavenStar83; January 30th, 2010 at 8:30 pm.
  #44  
Old January 30th, 2010, 9:09 pm
Moriath's Avatar
Moriath  Female.gif Moriath is offline
MODLY CREW
 
Joined: 5535 days
Location: Neverwhere
Posts: 7,039
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

General reminder: Posters with opinions different from your own are not the enemy. I want you all to please tone it down and keep it civil!


  #45  
Old January 30th, 2010, 9:14 pm
silver ink pot's Avatar
silver ink pot  Female.gif silver ink pot is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 6210 days
Location: Shining Snape's Halo
Age: 60
Posts: 9,778
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furry_Dice
Lily was advising Severus about friends who were bad news. That's what a good friend does
I believe Severus thought he was doing the same thing for Lily, so in that, I see them as equals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furry_Dice
As for Lupin, I don't see how this shows Lily didn't appreciate Severus, just that she had her own opinion.
The question was "what didn't Lily appreciate about Severus," and my answer was that he told her the truth. Yes, she had her own opinions, but he was telling her the truth. That is a quality I don't think Lily appreciated as she traded Severus's friendship for someone like Peter.


__________________


"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie


Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
  #46  
Old January 30th, 2010, 9:29 pm
eliza101  Female.gif eliza101 is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4755 days
Location: Bag End
Posts: 1,605
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UselessCharmMaster View Post
The bold is mine. Yes, Lily didn't have to grow into a better person - because she didn't have enough time or possibility to do so. I'm sorry, but to get married and have a child isn't a proof of growing adult and mature to me. We know she was a member of the Order, but what did she really DO as a warrior of the light? We don't know anything about it. My feeling is that her ultimate achievement was to become pregnant. An important thing, I agree, but not such a heroical one.
She and James were the people who 'defied the Dark Lord thrice' along with the Longbottoms. I don't know what they did in the war, but I doubt it was sitting back and twiddling their thumbs. LV didn't just target them because he felt like it. They fought against him and IMO gave him serious grief. I am sorry, but I find your ultimate belief that Lily's greatest achievement was becoming pregnant offensive.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Furry_Dice
Lily was advising Severus about friends who were bad news. That's what a good friend does
Quote:
Reply by SilverInkPot
I believe Severus thought he was doing the same thing for Lily, so in that, I see them as equals
The Marauders were not Lily's friends at this point, they were her housemates. She was very puzzled when Snape dragged them into their conversation. Snape IMO was using them as a distraction. I don't know what truth Snape was telling her. He didn't need help from 'a filthy little mudblood like her.'

IMO Snape was not the man who died at LV's hands at this point in his life. That man would rise from the ashes of the very troubled young boy who called his friend that terrible name.



Last edited by eliza101; January 30th, 2010 at 9:40 pm.
  #47  
Old January 30th, 2010, 9:57 pm
random_musing's Avatar
random_musing  Female.gif random_musing is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 5482 days
Location: Los Angeles/NYC
Age: 29
Posts: 3,475
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
I believe Severus thought he was doing the same thing for Lily, so in that, I see them as equals.
I don't know how you can compare the two. Lily was warning Severus about getting too involved with people who were wannabe death eaters; one was already doing something insinuated to be dark against another student. How does that compare to Severus derailing the conversation and going on about Potter and co, people Lily isn't even known to be friends with. Severus mentioning James just seemed like he wanted to move the conversation away from something he was uncomfortable with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UselessCharmMaster View Post
My feeling is that her ultimate achievement was to become pregnant.
Is James' ultimate achievement becoming a father?


__________________
Vintage LA
Sixties and smog = Match made in heaven
Supporter of the Snape loved Lily theory since 2005|And a Proud Snape/Lily AND James/Lily shipper

"I'm the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life. It's awful. If I'm on my way to the store to buy a magazine, even, and somebody asks me where I'm going, I'm liable to say I'm going to the opera. It's terrible." |Catcher in the Rye

Siggy image from LA 1960s & Avatar made by Makani|*PLEASE DO NOT TAKE*
  #48  
Old January 30th, 2010, 10:05 pm
RavenStar83's Avatar
RavenStar83  Female.gif RavenStar83 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4759 days
Age: 35
Posts: 718
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
The question was "what didn't Lily appreciate about Severus," and my answer was that he told her the truth. Yes, she had her own opinions, but he was telling her the truth. That is a quality I don't think Lily appreciated as she traded Severus's friendship for someone like Peter.
I don't see how this can be held against Lily. Snape at the time couldn't give her any proof. From what I get from the memories, all he was able to give her was supposedly his own suspicions. And Lily believed he was ill. Good friends believe and trust one another, but it doesn't mean one can't question what the other is saying especially when there's no proof (at least proof that can be given).

This may be speculation on my part, but I would suspect that maybe Lily didn't want herself or anyone else to worry about Remus' "illness" because it really was nobody's business. If someone is indeed ill, the common courtesy would be just to leave them alone and let them or anyone else helping them handle it. At least that's what I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_musing View Post
Is James' ultimate achievement becoming a father?
Probably, but it's okay because he's a man *COUGH* I mean because he's not pregnant.

ETA:
I'm reading theories of how Lily cared a lot about her "social status", which was part of why she broke off her friendship with Snape. I honestly do not know where this could be coming from. Snape was hanging around people who embraced and practiced Dark Magic and who were doing it on other people (e.g. Mary Mcdonald). Yes, Lily's friends didn't know why she's been hanging around Snape for so long, but why would it have anything to do with the fact that Snape was poor or was in Slytherin? Given the evidence in the text showing why Lily was unhappy with Snape, wouldn't her friends see it too? Especially after what Mulciber did to Mary Mcdonald? Wouldn't that be what Lily was "making excuses for" instead of worrying about hanging around someone who was poor and didn't look as handsome? Again, I'm seeing a lot more evidence of the former and none of the latter.


__________________
In slow motion the flowers fell from my head an shattered like glass. And when I looked into the mirror, I was a beautiful milkmaid. Then I woke up crying, and I donít know why. ~Snape from Potter Puppet Pals



"In a lot of cases I think being the canon love interest for a much-beloved male character is the female character's death sentence." ~ thirty2flavors regarding the hate of female characters in fandom




~I'm Lily's best friend because she doesn't have one.~

Last edited by RavenStar83; January 30th, 2010 at 10:52 pm.
  #49  
Old January 30th, 2010, 11:48 pm
silver ink pot's Avatar
silver ink pot  Female.gif silver ink pot is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 6210 days
Location: Shining Snape's Halo
Age: 60
Posts: 9,778
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza
LV didn't just target them because he felt like it.
I thought James and Lily were targeted because of the Prophecy, and not because they went after Voldemort? In that case, they were indeed the target because of Lily's pregnancy, and not their other activities. JMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM
Is James' ultimate achievement becoming a father?
In terms of the plotline and in Lord Voldemort's eyes, I would say yes. See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM
Severus mentioning James just seemed like he wanted to move the conversation away from something he was uncomfortable with.
I didn't think Snape felt comfortable talking about James either. He can't enjoy telling Lily that James "fancies" her. I don't think he hates himself that much. JMO


__________________


"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie


Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
  #50  
Old January 31st, 2010, 12:05 am
ccollinsmith's Avatar
ccollinsmith  Female.gif ccollinsmith is offline
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
 
Joined: 3875 days
Location: The Village
Posts: 2,273
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
I thought James and Lily were targeted because of the Prophecy, and not because they went after Voldemort? In that case, they were indeed the target because of Lily's pregnancy, and not their other activities. JMO
I'm guessing that what is meant here is the part in the Prophecy about them defying Voldemort three times prior to his coming after them. There were conditions concerning the child in the Prophecy. One of them was that his parents had defied Voldemort - which implies that James and Lily had done more than just have a child. Now, I'm not sure that what is meant by "defied" is ever really explained in canon. But I think some people interpret it to mean that Voldemort had come after them before.


__________________



Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference


VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
  #51  
Old January 31st, 2010, 12:13 am
eliza101  Female.gif eliza101 is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 4755 days
Location: Bag End
Posts: 1,605
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
I thought James and Lily were targeted because of the Prophecy, and not because they went after Voldemort? In that case, they were indeed the target because of Lily's pregnancy, and not their other activities. JMO


In terms of the plotline and in Lord Voldemort's eyes, I would say yes. See above.


I didn't think Snape felt comfortable talking about James either. He can't enjoy telling Lily that James "fancies" her. I don't think he hates himself that much. JMO
It is mentioned in the books and I have seen it mentioned in posts that one of the reasons that Snape is not really to blame for Lily and James being targeted was that Lily and James were already on the LV hit list. They defied him thrice and I suppose got up his nose. James and Lily were active fighters in the war. They went into hiding when Lily became pregnant to protect their child, yed. But they were already targets before she became pregnant.

Is the way a person is defined dependent on whether or not they procreate?

Snape mentions The Marauders first, he only mentions James when Lily asks why he is bringing them into the conversation and it bursts out of him. A very good indicator of where his unconscious thoughts were. Lily is totally surprised at his outburst about someone completely outside their conversation.


  #52  
Old January 31st, 2010, 12:34 am
silver ink pot's Avatar
silver ink pot  Female.gif silver ink pot is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 6210 days
Location: Shining Snape's Halo
Age: 60
Posts: 9,778
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza
It is mentioned in the books and I have seen it mentioned in posts that one of the reasons that Snape is not really to blame for Lily and James being targeted was that Lily and James were already on the LV hit list. They defied him thrice and I suppose got up his nose. James and Lily were active fighters in the war. They went into hiding when Lily became pregnant to protect their child, yed. But they were already targets before she became pregnant.
In my opinion, they were targeted for death because of the Prophecy. I believe that is stated over and over in the books. JMO The Longbottoms were also on Voldemort's radar, but he didn't personally go after them because he thought Harry was the Chosen One.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza
Is the way a person is defined dependent on whether or not they procreate?
Unless you can find some canon about James and Lily adopting Harry from someone else, then yes. IMO

ETA: By the way, Today, Jan. 30th, is Lily's Birthday according to her tombstone in DH. She would have been 50 years young today.


__________________


"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie


Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon

Last edited by silver ink pot; January 31st, 2010 at 12:55 am.
  #53  
Old January 31st, 2010, 2:09 am
MistressofRaven's Avatar
MistressofRaven  Female.gif MistressofRaven is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4010 days
Location: New Orleans
Age: 31
Posts: 931
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post


Unless you can find some canon about James and Lily adopting Harry from someone else, then yes. IMO

ETA: By the way, Today, Jan. 30th, is Lily's Birthday according to her tombstone in DH. She would have been 50 years young today.
I get what you're saying about Lily's pregnancy. She carried the only one who could save humanity. Reminds me of the Terminator/Jesus.


__________________
who cares about the children

avatar by cpatten-d32vy3p
  #54  
Old January 31st, 2010, 2:15 am
ccollinsmith's Avatar
ccollinsmith  Female.gif ccollinsmith is offline
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
 
Joined: 3875 days
Location: The Village
Posts: 2,273
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza101 View Post
It is mentioned in the books and I have seen it mentioned in posts that one of the reasons that Snape is not really to blame for Lily and James being targeted was that Lily and James were already on the LV hit list. They defied him thrice and I suppose got up his nose. James and Lily were active fighters in the war. They went into hiding when Lily became pregnant to protect their child, yed. But they were already targets before she became pregnant.
So far as I can tell, the books don't tell us in what way they defied Voldemort or what his response was. I could have missed something, but I don't recall anything in the books saying that he "targeted" them with death because of their defiance.

What we know for a certainty is that they were not the primary target on the night that Voldemort killed them. Harry was. James and Lily were collateral damage. They were in the way of Voldemort's primary aim - which was to kill the child that Voldemort believed to be the child mentioned in the Prophecy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
ETA: By the way, Today, Jan. 30th, is Lily's Birthday according to her tombstone in DH. She would have been 50 years young today.
Happy Birthday, Lily. Odd. Rowling leaves no birthday wishes for Lily. She does, however, wish Severus Snape a Happy Birthday.


__________________



Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference


VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!

Last edited by ccollinsmith; January 31st, 2010 at 2:28 am.
  #55  
Old January 31st, 2010, 3:52 am
random_musing's Avatar
random_musing  Female.gif random_musing is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 5482 days
Location: Los Angeles/NYC
Age: 29
Posts: 3,475
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
I didn't think Snape felt comfortable talking about James either.
My point was that he used James, something completely off topic, to derail the conversation; a conversation which included a very concerned Lily expressing her worries about the sort of people Snape was hanging around with. James was neither Lily's friend like Mulciber and Avery were and had nothing to do with the original topic at hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistressofRaven View Post
She carried the only one who could save humanity.
Well to get right down to it Harry wouldn't even have that title if it weren't for Snape helping prompt the prophecy in the first place...right?

And yay, happy birthday, Lily!


__________________
Vintage LA
Sixties and smog = Match made in heaven
Supporter of the Snape loved Lily theory since 2005|And a Proud Snape/Lily AND James/Lily shipper

"I'm the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life. It's awful. If I'm on my way to the store to buy a magazine, even, and somebody asks me where I'm going, I'm liable to say I'm going to the opera. It's terrible." |Catcher in the Rye

Siggy image from LA 1960s & Avatar made by Makani|*PLEASE DO NOT TAKE*

Last edited by random_musing; January 31st, 2010 at 3:55 am.
  #56  
Old January 31st, 2010, 4:15 am
MistressofRaven's Avatar
MistressofRaven  Female.gif MistressofRaven is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4010 days
Location: New Orleans
Age: 31
Posts: 931
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_musing View Post

Well to get right down to it Harry wouldn't even have that title if it weren't for Snape helping prompt the prophecy in the first place...right?
True, but Snape's hearing the prophecy was an achievement of Snape, not of Lily. So the point still stands.


__________________
who cares about the children

avatar by cpatten-d32vy3p
  #57  
Old January 31st, 2010, 4:25 am
random_musing's Avatar
random_musing  Female.gif random_musing is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 5482 days
Location: Los Angeles/NYC
Age: 29
Posts: 3,475
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistressofRaven View Post
True, but Snape's hearing the prophecy was an achievement of Snape, not of Lily. So the point still stands.
I was only arguing against the notion that it was legitimately fate, because it really wasn't until the prophecy was helped move along.


__________________
Vintage LA
Sixties and smog = Match made in heaven
Supporter of the Snape loved Lily theory since 2005|And a Proud Snape/Lily AND James/Lily shipper

"I'm the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life. It's awful. If I'm on my way to the store to buy a magazine, even, and somebody asks me where I'm going, I'm liable to say I'm going to the opera. It's terrible." |Catcher in the Rye

Siggy image from LA 1960s & Avatar made by Makani|*PLEASE DO NOT TAKE*
  #58  
Old January 31st, 2010, 5:03 am
MistressofRaven's Avatar
MistressofRaven  Female.gif MistressofRaven is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4010 days
Location: New Orleans
Age: 31
Posts: 931
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_musing View Post
I was only arguing against the notion that it was legitimately fate, because it really wasn't until the prophecy was helped move along.
gotcha


__________________
who cares about the children

avatar by cpatten-d32vy3p
  #59  
Old January 31st, 2010, 5:27 am
snapes_witch's Avatar
snapes_witch  Female.gif snapes_witch is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 5404 days
Location: afternoon tea at Granny's
Posts: 2,973
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
Happy Birthday, Lily. Odd. Rowling leaves no birthday wishes for Lily. She does, however, wish Severus Snape a Happy Birthday.
When she made up the list she didn't include the folks who were already dead, e.g., the Potters, Sirius, or Dumbledore (soon to be).

The birthday greetings appear to be automatic whether the character is now dead or still alive.


__________________

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
  #60  
Old January 31st, 2010, 7:12 am
The_Green_Woods's Avatar
The_Green_Woods  Undisclosed.gif The_Green_Woods is offline
Always Indy's Girl
 
Joined: 4861 days
Posts: 6,026
Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
He didn't realise that Lily meant business about his DE plans until the break-up.
Even if I assumed that what Lily said was true at the time of the break up, Snape had 2 years to know she was very serious and if he wanted her friendship he needed to change.

If he did not change choosing the DEs over Lily, then Lily can hardly have been important to him. But she was. That is canon. To assume Deship was more important to Snape at the time of the break up is to assume Lily was not as important to Snape as being a DE. Which means Snape did not love Lily at that time and in the next 2 years in school and when he actually joined the DEs and when he was one for some time. Then suddenly, out of the blue, he is begging Voldmeort, coming to Dumbledore because he loves Lily. He did not care enough for her when she was his best friend; when he did not care for her in the next 2 years; when she was not important when James and Lily became a couple; then to say that he cared so much that he came to Dumbledore thinking he would be killed in order to warn him or ask Voldemort to spare Lily's life, at the risk of getting killed by him does not make sense IMO.

But if I take Lily's words as a conclusion of wanting out of this friendship and using Snape's fascination with the dark arts and his friendship with Avery and Mulciber to end it then it makes sense to me personally. Lily's acceptance of Snape's fascination with the dark arts and her friendship with him, in spite of knowing that he called others of her birth by a racist name is otherwise not understandable because her outrage is not impressive since she did not take it up with Snape in a similar manner (ending the friendship) when he called another muggleborn by the same name IMO.

I think Lily was too young and impressionable and I believe she became interested in James after she "heard" of his heroic save in the tunnel and from then on Lily IMO changed towards her friend. I think Snape understood that and respected it. Which was why he never approached her again.

Snape was fascinated by the dark arts; Snape was friendly with other Slytherins; Snape called muggleborns a racist name; these were the negatives (which Lily's other friends/the Marauder's may have pointed out I mean), but these had not really bothered Lily before because at that time Snape and his friendship was important to her. When her interest in James grew (after the werewolf incident), I think the negatives which had not been very important until then, assumed greater importance and by the SWM, Lily was no longer Snape's friend, but a Gryffindor with the attitude that Slytherins are different and perhaps evil. She used the reasons which she knew about forever and broke off, assuming that she was sure Snape could end up only in one place. As a DE.

At that time Snape had no answers for her; and when he became a DE; he could not answer her IMO.

Quote:
In the break up, I see a Lily who wouldn't let herself be somebody's exception to their beliefs. As for the werewolf incident, it was wrong of Sirius, certainly, but did Severus really need to follow them around? If you dislike someone, you generally avoid them, not sneak around after them.
So if you follow someone around to irritate them/sneak around behind them, are they justified in sending you to face fully grown werewolves? I disagree.

Quote:
I don't think Lily was looking for an excuse to end things with Severus. She had every right to end a friendship with someone who, on some level considered her inferior, but overlooked it because he loved her. And the word Mudblood does imply considering the target inferior, it's been clearly shown in the series.
Then she should have done it the first time Snape called someone a mudblood. She should not have waited for all those years and then broke off when he called her one IMO.


__________________
The man who, in my opinion, won the war against Voldemort for Harry Potter and the Light! Severus Snape!

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Bookmarks

Tags
character analysis, lily evans potter, severus snape


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 8:51 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.