Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

James and Lily

Old October 22nd, 2012, 1:36 am
Sixth Year

Re: James and Lily

That's not exactly a hint that suggests she was attracted to him then and there. She could have been referring to whatever happened in their 7th year that got them together.

Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2012, 2:23 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic View Post
That's not exactly a hint that suggests she was attracted to him then and there. She could have been referring to whatever happened in their 7th year that got them together.
Well, we already knew that they became a couple in their 7th year. But my interpretation of J.K. Rowling's quote is that she was referring to their difficult relationship in the 5th year. Because otherwise she could have just said that "Lily hated James in the beginning, but then changed her mind later".

Last edited by speedy3702; October 22nd, 2012 at 3:14 am.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 3:56 am
Banned

[staff edit]

Concerning Lily's feelings for James, I think that she did find him attractive, though too much of a show-off and an "arrogant toe-rag", which put her off. When he changed, then she gave in to the attraction and fell in love with him.

I think, though, that deep down she must have been a bit flattered that this popular guy went to so much trouble to catch her attention. I know I would have. JMO.

Last edited by Alastor; October 22nd, 2012 at 4:04 am. Reason: off topic.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 4:06 am
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

What makes some of you people believe that an Unspeakable's inthread doesn't mean anything? I've deleted one post and edited a few.

Hes asked you to stay on topic. Please do. Or leave.

Old October 22nd, 2012, 4:21 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyannaS View Post
Concerning Lily's feelings for James, I think that she did find him attractive, though too much of a show-off and an "arrogant toe-rag", which put her off. When he changed, then she gave in to the attraction and fell in love with him.

I think, though, that deep down she must have been a bit flattered that this popular guy went to so much trouble to catch her attention. I know I would have. JMO.
Yeah, I think that Lily's feelings towards James must have been very complicated. Then seeing him fighting all the time with her friend, must have made the situation much difficulter for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
What makes some of you people believe that an Unspeakable's inthread doesn't mean anything? I've deleted one post and edited a few.

Hes asked you to stay on topic. Please do. Or leave.
Sorry. I am new here and not used to this strict rules. I will try to be more careful next time.

Old October 22nd, 2012, 4:53 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy3702 View Post
Yeah, I think that Lily's feelings towards James must have been very complicated. Then seeing him fighting all the time with her friend, must have made the situation much difficulter for her.
Yes, absolutely. And then said friend kind of solved the problem for her, and she sided completely with James. It possibly was the last "push" she needed to give in to the attraction she felt for him. My opinion, strictly.

Quote:
Sorry. I am new here and not used to this strict rules. I will try to be more careful next time.
Same here. I responded to a post without thinking or checking the posts before that, including Hes's (which I have seen now). I, too, will try to be more careful in the future, but it's kind of hard, when you see a post you want to respond to, to remember to check that it's not off-topic.

Old October 22nd, 2012, 3:58 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
IMO, I think that's the point JKR was making. I think there's convincing enough evidence shown that Lily had a crush on James as early as her fifth year but that she was torn between persuing a crush and loyalty to a friend.

Quote:
That depends, to me, on how popular Lily was herself. If she was popular she could conceivably have "had any guy she wanted" and James fawning all over her wouldn't have been as flattering. If she was, say, a loner or an outcast I could see her being much more flattered by James's attentions.

Quote:
Yes, absolutely. And then said friend kind of solved the problem for her, and she sided completely with James. It possibly was the last "push" she needed to give in to the attraction she felt for him. My opinion, strictly.
I think there would have still been a period of time where she was torn about whether she actually liked James or not, even if she technically was no longer... encumbered by? Held back by? Snape's friendship. She would have spent about five or six years by this point steadfastly refusing to give him the benefit of the doubt and unless she had a vindictive streak in her I can't see her friendship with Snape ending and her running into James's arms happening in the same week. I feel as though the transitional period for Lily's feelings about James was their sixth year - after she and Snape had fallen out but before their 7th year when they began dating; it would have been a perfect span of time for her to see what James was like while not being influenced by Snape's opinion of him.

Quote:
Same here. I responded to a post without thinking or checking the posts before that, including Hes's (which I have seen now). I, too, will try to be more careful in the future, but it's kind of hard, when you see a post you want to respond to, to remember to check that it's not off-topic.
You can always include the quote that you want to respond to in the off-topic thread (for example, mentioning the marauder conversations in this thread) and tell people that you're moving this part of the conversation to another thread (to the marauder group analysis thread) and if people are interested in discussing it they'll follow you there - with the added bonus of not incurring the wrath of the moderators and getting or breaking in-thread warnings (or worse, getting owled bans for ingnoring mods)

Old October 22nd, 2012, 10:31 pm
First Year

Maybe James dated other girls before his 7th year and this is why Lily could not date him in 6th year.

Old October 22nd, 2012, 10:59 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
I feel as though the transitional period for Lily's feelings about James was their sixth year - after she and Snape had fallen out but before their 7th year when they began dating; it would have been a perfect span of time for her to see what James was like while not being influenced by Snape's opinion of him.
I totally agree. I think that they became more friendly to each other in the 6th year. Then in the 7th they became a couple.

Old October 23rd, 2012, 1:41 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic View Post
But the thing is, they were really only together for a pretty short time. It's possible they were still in the "Honeymoon" phase where things are hunky-dory and before any flaws manifest in the relationship.

With Sirius, Remus, etc...I always figured that their youthful deaths as martyrs kind of skewed their images in their friends' minds so they may be remembering things as better than they actually were. It happens in real life.
I felt that Lily and James were a perfect match because of how they have been portrayed when they were a couple. They were in their "Honeymoon" phase which is why I would have liked to see what would happen if they'd lived longer and started to have problems.

Old October 23rd, 2012, 1:59 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf17 View Post
I felt that Lily and James were a perfect match because of how they have been portrayed when they were a couple. They were in their "Honeymoon" phase which is why I would have liked to see what would happen if they'd lived longer and started to have problems.
The Honeymoon phase doesn't normally last 3 years... And they would have been under a lot of stress during their relationship since they were fighting in a war together, had a child, and were eventually stuck in a house with just themselves where they could do nothing, so I'm guessing that would have shut down their honeymoon phase pretty quickly too. They made it through a lot as a couple, but I agree I wish we'd seen more of their struggles together.

Old October 23rd, 2012, 3:26 am
Ordo Lebes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousMoon View Post
The Honeymoon phase doesn't normally last 3 years... And they would have been under a lot of stress during their relationship since they were fighting in a war together, had a child, and were eventually stuck in a house with just themselves where they could do nothing, so I'm guessing that would have shut down their honeymoon phase pretty quickly too. They made it through a lot as a couple, but I agree I wish we'd seen more of their struggles together.
Yeah, this... honeymoon phase depends on the couple, but I've never known a longterm relationship to be in a honeymoon phase longer than two years, and that's a stretch as it is. Lily and James were together for possibly four years, if they got together around Halloween of seventh year (1977-1981), and those four years were filled with far more than regular couples ever have to deal with.

I always thought it was pretty significant that they could endure over a year's worth of being in hiding and still being happy. Lily's letter to Sirius showed that while stressed and antsy, they were still a happy family, shut up with hardly no company but each other. So I doubt they were a perfect couple, because that doesn't really happen in real life in any case, but I think they worked really well and would have made it had they not been murdered.

Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Old October 25th, 2012, 8:32 pm
Second Year

Every marriage goes through some kind of turmoil but they loved each other. The letter to Sirius shows that. The little things mattered then like Harry riding his toy broom making James and Lily laugh. But I do think they would have preffered if they were not confined to their house, especially James who seemed to want to come out but he had no Cloak and he did not risk his family. That says a lot about him and how he loved his family. Lily clearly noticed his position and asked Sirius to come and cheer him up. That shows she loved him and I doubt he would complain to her so she must have noticed it herself.

I think they were happy with each other but not with their situation. Who would?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone