Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Alfred Hitchcock Movies

Old July 18th, 2010, 10:50 pm
First Year

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Movies

One of my all time favorite movies is psycho. Hitchcock's directing was brilliant and changed horror films forever

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2010, 9:13 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
I watched North by Northwest again and I don't think the abrupt ending panned out well, but that's just my opinion. Notorious ended quite abruptly too, but that worked incredibly well.

Back to North by Northwest: While it isn't among my personal favourites, I realize it may be the ultimate Hitchcock movie. It's extremely well-made and entertaining, it has humour, romance, a memorable score and there are lots of action scenes and set pieces, e.g. Mount Rushmore. Oh, and I'd like to share this unique high-angle shot. Basically, it shows us how small and helpless he is against those chasing him and how slim the odds are for surviving. Thoughts?
From the top of the UN building in NYC:    

I agree. It's not a personal fav either (at least not after re-watching) but it's a bang up of a film the first time through. It's got a bit of everything. In addition to the mix of genre elements you noted there's plot devices/twists like the wrong man, double agent, femme fatale, etc. Such things are pretty cliche and overplayed in movies by now, but back when this film was made they were novel and ingenious.

So nobody else wants to discuss Hitchcock's endings? Damn, I put quite a bit of time into this post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
I wanted to discuss a certain topic here that I've come across on the IMDB boards...

The promp- "Hitchcock can't do endings"

While I originally would've agreed with this statement the more Hitchcock films I watched it became apparent that it's not that he couldn't (I mean really? he was a brilliant filmaker...you really think he couldn't? ) but that he just chose to end his films differently, his own style.

Instead of tying everything up for us nice and tidy his endings are often abrupt and leaves things to the imagination. I suppose you could say he credits the audience more then most. In addition he doesn't bog down the end showing and/or explaining relatively unnecessary stuff...like little details where we can deduce what happened on our own or stuff that really doesn't matter (ie the various MacGuffins)

Here's just a few examples of famous or imfamous (depending on your perspective) Hitchcock endings...

Vertigo
Spoiler: show
Kim Novac falls off the bell tower (did she jump or was she startled?) and film ends with a shot of James Stewart leaning over the edge (will he jump?) The End, yes seriously that's it...although there is an alternate ending out there that was made for foreign censors

North By Northwest
Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint are clinging onto the side of a cliff for dear life when suddenly help arrives. Eva Marie desperately reaches for Cary's outstretched hand and the next shot we see is Cary Grant pulling Eva Marie up into bed on a train (as he calls her Mrs. Thornhill) as the train speeds into a tunnel (symbolizing the consummation of marriage)

Rear Window
James Stewart is in danger, there's a struggle, and he's nearly thrown out the window. He calls out for help and the film is sped up (this is somewhat comical ) as we see people rushing over. The villain is apprehended and Stewart loses his grip on the windowsill falling to the ground as two men half catch him. People gather around, there's some exchange of words, a few big questions answered (though not completely) and then we cut to a last scene furthering some of the neighbor's stories as the camera pans in the window showing James Stewart asleep (with 2 broken legs now) and Grace Kelly reading a book back in Stewart's apartment (do they get married? we don't know)

Oh, and a more comical ending was in the 1956 version of The Man Who Knew Too Much, which I just watched earlier tonight

James Stewart and his boy escape from their would be killer and re-unite with the mother (Doris Day) Now cut to the final scene of the family returning to the hotel where their friends have been waiting for them..."I'm sorry we took so long, but we had to go pick up Hank"

The End

If anyone cares to see the discussion that prompted this, you can find it here- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049470/.../149286303?p=1

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; August 15th, 2010 at 10:14 am.
Old August 15th, 2010, 10:02 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Instead of tying everything up for us nice and tidy his endings are often abrupt and leaves things to the imagination. I suppose you could say he credits the audience more then most. In addition he doesn't bog down the end showing and/or explaining relatively unnecessary stuff...like little details where we can deduce what happened on our own or stuff that really doesn't matter (ie the various MacGuffins)
Well, that's it. There are some Hitchcock endings that were so abrupt they were jarring on first viewing (in particular, North by Northwest), but I've never thought he was bad with endings. He simply doesn't condescend or give the audience too much information.

I also have to say that, I'm probably the only one, but I actually like the ending of Psycho. It is blatantly expository, and it's not at all graceful about it, but I wanted those answers, and if it's the worst sequence in that film, that's fine, because I think it's pretty good.

Old August 15th, 2010, 11:04 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post

I also have to say that, I'm probably the only one, but I actually like the ending of Psycho. It is blatantly expository, and it's not at all graceful about it, but I wanted those answers, and if it's the worst sequence in that film, that's fine, because I think it's pretty good.
Nah, you're not the only one. After all the buildup I think some answers were definitely in order for that film And all the films that have copied from it have also used expository endings (ie Fight Club, The Machinist, Identity, etc) Certainly an atypical ending for Hitch though.

So I see last time you posted here you'd only seen a few of Hitchcock's films, but you told me you've seen something like 20 of 'em now. Which ones have you seen and how do you rank 'em? I think my list would go something like this...

A (90-100)

1. Rear Window
2. Psycho
3. Vertigo
4. Strangers on a Train
5. Shadow of a Doubt
6. Foreign Correspondent
7. Spellbound

B (80-89)

8. Suspicion
9. To Catch a Thief
10. Dial "M" For Murder
11. The Lady Vanishes
12. North By Northwest (this one is an odd situation...it's actually an A grade film but it's not one of my favorites so it falls under B for me)
13. Frenzy
14. The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)
15. Notorious

C (70-79)

16. I Confess
17. Rebecca
18. Saboteur
19. The 39 Steps
20. Rope
21. Stage Fright

D (60-69)

22. Lifeboat
23. The Lodger

Last edited by lcbaseball22; December 22nd, 2011 at 12:40 am.
Old August 15th, 2010, 11:31 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
So I see last time you posted here you'd only seen a few of Hitchcock's films, but you told me you've seen something like 20 of 'em now. Which ones have you seen and how do you rank 'em?
I just counted, at this point it's apparently 22. I think when I first posted I'd only seen 3, and they've been spread out since then. I'd have to get back to you about a ranking.

1. The Lodger
2. The Ring
3. Blackmail
4. The Man Who Knew Too Much ('34)
5. The 39 Steps
6. Secret Agent
7. Sabotage
8. Rebecca
9. Saboteur
10. Spellbound
11. Notorious
12. Rear Window
13. To Catch a Thief
14. The Trouble with Harry
15. The Man Who Knew Too Much ('56)
16. Vertigo
17. North by Northwest
18. Psycho
19. The Birds
20. Torn Curtain
21. Topaz
22. Family Plot

The next priorities are Rope, Dial M for Murder, and The Lady Vanishes.

ETA
Okay, my ranking, and I tried not to overthink it, otherwise I'd be here for days:
1. Psycho
2. Rear Window
3. North by Northwest
4. Vertigo
5. Notorious
6. The Trouble with Harry
7. The Man Who Knew Too Much ('56)
8. Saboteur
9. The 39 Steps
10. To Catch a Thief
11. The Birds
12. Spellbound
13. Rebecca
14. Secret Agent
15. The Man Who Knew Too Much ('34)
16. The Lodger (I messed around with the placement of this one, because while I don't love the film, its place in history, and the Hitchcock tropes it introduced, makes it more interesting than the titles below it on this list.)
17. Blackmail
18. Family Plot
19. Sabotage
20. Torn Curtain
21. Topaz
22. The Ring

1-9 I would call "great," 10-15 "very good," 16-18 "fairly good," and 19-22 "weak."

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; August 16th, 2010 at 12:04 am.
Old August 16th, 2010, 3:46 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post

This is what Roger Ebert would have done:

Quote:
If I were bold enough to reedit Hitchcock's film, I would include only the doctor's first explanation of Norman's dual personality: "Norman Bates no longer exists. He only half existed to begin with. And now, the other half has taken over, probably for all time." Then I would cut out everything else the psychiatrist says, and cut to the shots of Norman wrapped in the blanket while his mother's voice speaks ("It's sad when a mother has to speak the words that condemn her own son..."). Those edits, I submit, would have made "Psycho" very nearly perfect. I have never encountered a single convincing defense of the psychiatric blather; Truffaut tactfully avoids it in his famous interview.
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...401010353/1023

Old August 18th, 2010, 7:27 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbreedlover View Post
3.) In his later movies, Hitchcock always made a point of appearing very briefly in a movie, often as an extra.
I love his cameo in To Catch a Thief - Cary Grant is on a bus next to a lady with a birdcage full of birds, then he looks to his other side and the camera pans over to Hitchcock sitting on his other side (in reference to his film, The Birds).

1) Rear Window, Vertigo, To Catch a Thief, North by Northwest, Dial M for Murder

2) All of them but Rear Window is my favourite - closely followed by North by Northwest.

3) Charade (starring Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn is known as "the greatest Hitchcock film that Hitchcock didn't direct.

Old August 18th, 2010, 7:44 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_shannon_x View Post
3) Charade (starring Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn is known as "the greatest Hitchcock film that Hitchcock didn't direct.
Yeah, and it's great. Real nice mix of mystery, comedy, and romance

Old August 29th, 2010, 9:43 pm
Fifth Year

1) Dial "M" For Murder, Lifeboat, Marnie, North By Northwest, Notorious, Psycho, Rear Window, Rebecca, Rope, Shadow of a Doubt, Spellbound, Stage Fright, Strangers on a Train, The Birds, The Lady Vanishes, The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934), The 39 Steps, The Trouble with Harry, The Wrong Man, Vertigo.

2) You will find something worth watching in all of them, but those I'd recommend are Vertigo, Psycho, Spellbound, Strangers on a Train, Rebecca, Dial "M" For Murder, North By Northwest, The Birds, The Trouble with Harry and Rear Window (merely because it's among his 4 most reputable, personally I don't think it's that great). The Man Who Knew Too Much, The 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes from his British period are all pretty enjoyable too and worth watching if you are a fan.

3) http://www.tv.com/alfred-hitchcock/p...51/trivia.html
  • Alfred Hitchcock had a serious fear of the police, which reportedly was the reason he never learned to drive. His reasoning was that if one never drove, then one would never have an opportunity to be pulled over by the police and issued a ticket.
  • Alfred Hitchcock had an extreme fear of eggs, known as ovophobia.
  • Alfred Hitchcock inspired the adjective "Hitchcockian" for suspense thrillers
  • Alfred Hitchcock hated to shoot on location. He preferred to shoot at the studio where he could have full control of lighting and other factors. This is why even his later films contain special effects composite and rear screen shots

Quote:
“Some films are slices of life. Mine are slices of cake.”
So true, that's how it feels like after watching a Hitchcock movie...you don't feel glutted like after a banquet, but wants more because it leaves a good aftertaste.

Old March 3rd, 2012, 8:57 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

1) I've only seen Notorious so far. Might see some more of Hitchcock's films when I can.

Reposted from the Rate/Review movies thread:

Quote:
Interesting, this was one of the lesser enjoyable Hitchcock films for me and I felt Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman had horrible chemistry (extremely disappointing since they're 2 of my favs)...but perhaps I should give it another try.
What didn't you like about their chemistry?

Thought that they had better chemistry than Bogie and Bacall did in The Big Sleep. That one I was a little bit disappointed in. It was ok, but I was expecting a little more from them in a way.

The banter between Cary and Ingrid, just seemed more alive in some way. Yes Bogie and Bacall had that to a degree... but it didn't seem quite as lively as Cary and Ingrid's did at times.

Just the way that they looked at one another in scenes, the way that they said a line, the way they interacted together... that's what truly stood out to me.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; March 3rd, 2012 at 9:03 pm.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 9:57 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
1) I've only seen Notorious so far. Might see some more of Hitchcock's films when I can.

Reposted from the Rate/Review movies thread:

What didn't you like about their chemistry?

Thought that they had better chemistry than Bogie and Bacall did in The Big Sleep. That one I was a little bit disappointed in. It was ok, but I was expecting a little more from them in a way.

The banter between Cary and Ingrid, just seemed more alive in some way. Yes Bogie and Bacall had that to a degree... but it didn't seem quite as lively as Cary and Ingrid's did at times.

Just the way that they looked at one another in scenes, the way that they said a line, the way they interacted together... that's what truly stood out to me.
IDK, the only memorable scene for me is that like 2 minute on and off kiss which was designed as such to loophole the Hayes Code that limited screen kisses to 3 seconds. Notorious wasn't a bad film but if that's the only Hitchcock film you've seen there are much better treats to discover if you ask me. Then again we often seem to disagree

Here's my old review btw- http://www.cosforums.com/showpost.ph...50&postcount=6

And I guess I bumped it up a point for the ranking in my prior postings in this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCbaseball22
A (90-100)

1. Rear Window
2. Psycho
3. Vertigo
4. Strangers on a Train
5. Shadow of a Doubt
6. Foreign Correspondent
7. Spellbound

B (80-89)

8. Suspicion
9. To Catch a Thief
10. Dial "M" For Murder
11. The Lady Vanishes
12. North By Northwest (this one is an odd situation...it's actually an A grade film but it's not one of my favorites so it falls under B for me)
13. Frenzy
14. The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)
15. Notorious

Last edited by lcbaseball22; March 3rd, 2012 at 10:06 pm.
Old March 5th, 2012, 5:49 pm

Quote:
IDK, the only memorable scene for me is that like 2 minute on and off kiss which was designed as such to loophole the Hayes Code that limited screen kisses to 3 seconds. Notorious wasn't a bad film but if that's the only Hitchcock film you've seen there are much better treats to discover if you ask me. Then again we often seem to disagree

Here's my old review btw- http://www.cosforums.com/showpost.ph...50&postcount=6

And I guess I bumped it up a point for the ranking in my prior postings in this thread...
I see. What films would you recommend me seeing?

Yep. But I do agree with you on one thing, review wise. The whole romance did come out of the blue... Also, the scene at the beginning of the movie at the party seemed a little abrupt as well.

Both scenes needed a bridge to them to explain a little more clearly what lead up to them.

Still think that the chemistry between Ingrid and Cary was good though... didn't think it was just a little bit of it either. They seemed to get along behind the scenes (thanks to an extra I watched on the dvd, that talked about that) and that showed on film .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old March 5th, 2012, 6:06 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
I see. What films would you recommend me seeing?
Quite a few, lol...he's got like 10 films in the IMDB 250, but Rear Window, Psycho, North By Northwest, and Vertigo are typically considered his most reputable. The first one I ever saw was North By Northwest and at the time I thought it was like one of the best films I'd ever seen; upon re-watching I'm not as thrilled by it anymore, but Rear Window (which I watched immediately after North by Northwest) remains one of my all time favorites, if not my absolute favorite. Rear Window stars Grace Kelly (my favorite actress of all time and Hitchcock's favorite leading lady...she was in 3 of his films) and James Stewart, who starred in an equal number of Hitchcock features as Cary Grant did (4 a piece) but I enjoy Stewart's work with the Master of Suspense more then I do Cary Grant's. I love Cary more for his work in comedies (Arsenic and Old Lace, Bringing Up Baby, Operation Petticoat, Monkey Business, etc) but To Catch A Thief, Suspicion, and the aforementioned North By Northwest are worth checking out too.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; March 5th, 2012 at 6:16 pm.
Old March 5th, 2012, 6:10 pm

Quote:
Quite a few, lol...he's got like 10 films in the IMDB 250, but Rear Window, Psycho, North By Northwest, and Vertigo are typically considered his most reputable. The first one I ever saw was North By Northwest and at the time I thought it was like one of the best films I'd ever seen; upon re-watching I'm not as thrilled by it anymore, but Rear Window (which I watched immediately after North by Northwest) remains one of my all time favorites, if not my absolute favorite.
Thanks . A friend of mine saw quite a few of his movies and mentioned Marnie (sp?) as being a good one. Did you see that one yet?

Old March 5th, 2012, 6:36 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Thanks . A friend of mine saw quite a few of his movies and mentioned Marnie (sp?) as being a good one. Did you see that one yet?
I have actually...though it looks like I need to update my list because I don't see it on there. Anyways, it was alright...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCbaseball22
Marnie-

Acting- 7.5
Script- 7.5
Visuals- 9
Sound- 7.5
Editing- 7

Total Score = 77%

Aftertaste- Some have called it "Hitchcock's last masterpiece" but Hitch's earlier film Spellbound (similar in a lot of ways) is far better, IMO

I'd say skip, but you can always find something worth watching in his films. Marnie is often ridiculous/OTT, but has touches of brilliance.
Here's a little run-down of who stars in what (if you like to watch based on the actors/actresses like I often do)

Rear Window- James Stewart/Grace Kelly
Vertigo- James Stewart/Kim Novac
Psycho- Anthony Perkins/Janet Leigh
North By Northwest- Cary Grant/Eva Marie Saint
Spellbound- Gregory Peck/Ingrid Bergman
To Catch A Thief- Cary Grant/Grace Kelly
Suspicion- Cary Grant/Joan Fontaine
Dial "M" For Murder- Grace Kelly/Ray Milland
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)- James Stewart/Doris Day
Notorious- Cary Grant/Ingrid Bergman
Rope- James Stewart

P.S. I edited my last post during/after you were posting I think, so you might want to give it another look.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; March 5th, 2012 at 6:54 pm.
Old March 5th, 2012, 8:52 pm

Quote:
I have actually...though it looks like I need to update my list because I don't see it on there. Anyways, it was alright...

Here's a little run-down of who stars in what (if you like to watch based on the actors/actresses like I often do)

Rear Window- James Stewart/Grace Kelly
Vertigo- James Stewart/Kim Novac
Psycho- Anthony Perkins/Janet Leigh
North By Northwest- Cary Grant/Eva Marie Saint
Spellbound- Gregory Peck/Ingrid Bergman
To Catch A Thief- Cary Grant/Grace Kelly
Suspicion- Cary Grant/Joan Fontaine
Dial "M" For Murder- Grace Kelly/Ray Milland
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)- James Stewart/Doris Day
Notorious- Cary Grant/Ingrid Bergman
Rope- James Stewart

P.S. I edited my last post during/after you were posting I think, so you might want to give it another look.
I see. And I'll go and do that.

Thanks again , I'll have to see what my local library carries in terms of these films, along with the local movie store.

Old March 6th, 2012, 8:23 am
Sixth Year

I would add Rebecca and Strangers on a Train to the list.

Old March 6th, 2012, 3:49 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
Strangers on a Train for sure...Rebecca, not for me, though it was the lone Hitchcock film to win Best Picture.

I'll also add what has been referenced as Hitchcock's personal fav, Shadow of a Doubt (the fact it's #5 on my list should already have indicated I think quite highly of it myself) ...but I suggest you watch Rear Window, Vertigo, Psycho, North By Northwest, etc before you decide whether or not to delve into these others. Though Spellbound and Suspicion (incidentally both among the select few Hitchcock's receiving nominations for Best Picture) are probably pretty safe choices as well if you enjoyed Grant and Bergman in Notorious. They aren't paired in either however.

BTW, given the fiasco with the Oscars in recent years, I gotta say this, just can't let this go...so here's a rundown showing just how ridiculously non-sensical the Academy was back then even. Enjoy the laughter to come...

Rebecca (1940)

Won:
Best Cinematography, Black-and-White
Best Picture

Nominated:
Best Actor in a Leading Role-Laurence Olivier
Best Actress in a Leading Role-Joan Fontaine
Best Actress in a Supporting Role-Judith Anderson
Best Art Direction, Black-and-White
Best Director
Best Effects, Special Effects
Best Film Editing
Best Music, Original Score
Best Writing, Screenplay

Foreign Correspondent (1940)

Nominated:
Best Actor in a Supporting Role- Albert Bassermann
Best Art Direction, Black-and-White
Best Picture
Best Writing, Original Screenplay

Suspicion (1941)

Won:
Best Actress in a Leading Role- Joan Fontaine

Nominated:
Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic Picture
Best Picture

Shadow of a Doubt (1943)

Nominated:
Best Writing, Original Story

Lifeboat (1944)

Nominated:
Best Director
Best Writing, Original Story

Spellbound (1945)

Won:
Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture

Nominated:
Best Actor in a Supporting Role-Michael Chekhov
Best Director
Best Picture

Notorious (1946)

Nominated:
Best Actor in a Supporting Role-Claude Rains
Best Writing, Original Screenplay

The Paradine Case (1947)

Nominated:
Best Actress in a Supporting Role- Ethel Barrymore

Strangers on a Train (1951)

Nominated:

Rear Window (1954)

Nominated:
Best Cinematography, Color
Best Director
Best Sound, Recording
Best Writing, Screenplay

To Catch A Thief (1955)

Won:
Best Cinematography, Color

Nominated:
Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Color
Best Costume Design, Color

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

Won:
Best Music, Original Song- "Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera, Sera)".

Vertigo (1958)

Nominated:
Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Black-and-White or Color
Best Sound

North By Northwest (1959)

Nominated:
Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Color
Best Film Editing
Best Writing, Story and Screenplay - Written Directly for the Screen

Psycho (1960)

Nominated:
Best Actress in a Supporting Role-Janet Leigh
Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Black-and-White
Best Director

The Birds (1963)

Nominated:
Best Effects, Special Visual Effects

Granted there's a lot of award nominations there (and a few wins) but Hitchcock himself never won an award and there are so many glaring omission it's actually not funny. Like it's hard to overlook the fact that virtually all his early Hollywood films from the 40's received more recognition then his masterpieces from the peak of his career (50's into early 60's) What happened to Best Picture recognition for Rear Window and Psycho? I mean how can you nominate the director but not the film? And no major awards for Vertigo? You mean the film generally considered his best one of all only received some recognition in tech categories? Also, how 'bout Best Supporting Actor for Anthony Perkins in Psycho or Robert Mitchum in Strangers on a Train? Those would have been no brainers to most people... etc, etc.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; March 6th, 2012 at 3:52 pm.
Old March 6th, 2012, 10:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
Just rented Strangers on a Train yesterday... tried watching it once and it didn't draw me in... but I'm willing to give it another chance. It seemed to start off rather slowly.

Old March 6th, 2012, 11:03 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Just rented Strangers on a Train yesterday... tried watching it once and it didn't draw me in...it seemed to start off rather slowly.
Yeah, it does...which is why I don't suggest it to a Hitchcock newbie.

EDIT: Wait...I got confused with Shadow of a Doubt...hmm, not sure what you're talking about cause Strangers is very tightly paced actually with the exception of about 10 minutes. (which isn't until later in the film) Shadow does start off slow though...I don't advise trying that one until you've seen the ones I've suggested.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; March 6th, 2012 at 11:15 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion