Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Favorite character in each book / in the whole series

Old January 31st, 2010, 12:28 am
Third Year

Re: Favorite character in each book/ in the whole series?

PS- Harry and Snape: Especially Snape. I just remember hating him, yet int
CoS- Tom Riddle Jr: He only came in the ending, but he was great
PoA: Sirus and Lupin
GoF: Cedric, Neville, and Barty Crouch Jr/Moody's imposter
OoTP: Harry, Ginny, Luna, Voldemort
HBP: Ron, Snape,
DH: The Trio, Voldemort,Snape

Overall, my favourites are Ron,The Twins,Luna, and Voldemort.

Vincent Van Gogh: Hold my hand, Doctor. Try to see what I see. We're so lucky we're still alive to see this beautiful world. Look at the sky. It's not dark and black, without character. The black is in fact deep blue. And over there, lighter blue. And blue and through the blueness and the blackness, the wind swirling through the air. And then shining, burning, bursting through through the stars. And you see how they throw their light. Everywhere we look, complex magic of nature blazes before our eyes.

The Doctor: I've seen many things, my friend, but you're right. Nothing... quite as wonderful as the things you see.
Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2010, 7:02 am
First Year

My favorite over all the books would be Tonks. She reminds me of an old friend of mine. Aside from the bubble gum pink hair and the ability to change her appearance of course.

from the books.

PS/SS: Hagrid. He had imo some of the best lines.
CoS: Ginny and Moaning Myrtle.
PoA: Remus and Sirius
GoF: Mcgonagal and Hermione
OotP: Mad eye, Luna, Neville and Bellatrix and the twins.
HBP: Snape, Harry, and Draco.
DH: Dumbledore, Tonks and Mcgonagal

Overall I really liked the Twins. Dumbledore would seem like a great person to talk to though. He could probably tell you stories until you fell asleep. Then of course you have Minerva Mcgonagal, she's very smart and witty.

"Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure"
Proud to be a Ravenclaw

My wand: Holly, Unicorn hair, 10 and a half inches, springy.
Old January 31st, 2010, 7:26 pm
Third Year

Great thread! I've taken time to think of my favourite characters overall, but never specifically in each book.

Here it goes:

PS - Draco and Hagrid - Hagrid being one of the first wizards we are introduced to and I loved how mean Malfoy was.
CoS - Harry and Ron. With Hermione petrified, I thought Harry and Ron really stepped up.
PoA - Lupin and Snape. I thought the two played off each other nicely.
GoF - Cedric, Krum, and Bagman. - I really liked all three of them.
OotP - Hermione, Neville, and Hagrid. I liked Hagrid's tale and I OotP was Neville's breakout.
HBP - Dumbledore, Tom Riddle (throughout the memories), and Slughorn.
DH - Harry, Hermione, and Dumbledore.

Overall, my favourite characters are Fred and George, and Malfoy. Even though I can't find a specific book where the twins were my favourite, they were definitely my favourite over the series. I also really liked Draco. I liked how mean he was in the beginning, and how he became remorseful from then on.

Old January 31st, 2010, 8:23 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krums_Girl View Post
PS/SS- Harry, because he's still very young and childish and observant, but we can see bits and pieces of that dry humor of his that I identify with so much. :P

CoS- Hermione because this is the book, aside from DH, where we are shown just how smart Hermione is. I love Hermione because she is just so clever.

PoA- I can't decide. Maybe Lupin? He's by far Harry's best teacher and it made me sad when he had to leave.

GoF- Viktor Krum . He's an amazing Quidditch player and appreciates smart girls, not nessacarily the prettiest girls, which is really cool.

OotP- Luna. She's just so different from all of the other characters that it's just hard not to love her.

HBP- Harry, because he finally gets over his emo-ness that he had in OotP

DH- Rose Weasley (or Scorpius Malfoy) because this is the book that they are introduced and I am in love with the idea of a Rose/Scorpius relationship. I am slightly obsessed with Rose Weasley. It's strange.
Oh, Rose ~ Scorpius is SO on!

I would say that I really adored Dumbledore in the first two books. Hermione takes PoA (for her punch), Harry in GoF, and Ron in OotP, as he as matured a bit since the last book. Luna for HBP (love the quidditch commentary), and McGonagall in DH, because she's just awesome

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies." ~ Mother Teresa

ř ѕ t - ι и - t ι м є...

Old February 16th, 2010, 8:47 pm
First Year

PS/SS: Ron.
CoS: Hermione.
PoA: Professor Lupin.
GoF: I loved Cedric!
OotP: It's a tie between Tonks, Luna, Neville and Ginny.
HBP: Snape.
DH: Neville, Dobby and Mrs.Weasley.

I don't think I can choose an overall favorite. I have so many. Ron, Because he was just great friend to Harry. Fred George and Lee, because they always kept me laughing. Neville, because he was so courageous in the final book and when he stood up to the trio in PS, I just feel in love with him. Tonks, because I still can't get over how awesome it is that she can change her appearance at will. Ginny, because she went from having no self-confidence to having alot of self-confidence. And Luna, because of her whacky theories and her charcter in general just touched me. But if I had to choose an absolute favorite it would be...Dobby. There should be more people like him in this world. Because he was loyal and brave and sweet and adorable and I cried so hard when he died.

Old February 17th, 2010, 4:07 am
Fifth Year

Overall, Severus Snape. Hes just awesome.

Book One: Hagrid. He was hilarious. "I shouldn't have told you that..." Plus his little slips of info helped the trio out so much.

Book Two: Dobby probably. He was cute and funny. Trying to help Harry but nearly got him killed in process. I dunno why thats funny but it is.

Book Three: Lupin. He really knew what he was talking about and was a sort of mentor to Harry.

Book Four: Severus. He could have easily apparated to the scene of the graveyard but didnt. He could have just as easily fled to hide himself but didnt. That showed a lot of courage.

Book Five: Luna. Shes awesome. I would have been her friend.

Book Six: Toss up between Severus again and Draco. Draco was doing what he was ordered to do but clearly didnt want to. This showed that he was not really evil at all but just confused. This book showed that Draco didnt really believe in all of the philosophies the Death Eaters put forth. Severus because he stood his ground YET AGAIN. "DO NOT CALL ME COWARD!" No, sir, i will not.

Book Seven: Hmmm...Neville most likely. He showed he was not just a competent wizard, but a badass one as well! He stood up to Voldemort to his face! "I won't follow you! DUMBLEDORE'S ARMY!!!" I mean come on! Thats awesome! He appears as totally beat upon and scarred but that doesnt deter him at all! His head was set on fire and yet what did he do? Grab that sword and chop that snake's head off! Yes! Also the obvious answer of Snape again showing how courageous he really was.

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Old February 17th, 2010, 4:24 am
Fifth Year

Overall: tie between Snape and Dumbledore

PS: Snape

CS: Dobby

PA: Lupin

GF: Twins

OP: Hermione

HBP: Draco or Snape

DH: Phineas Nigellus

ETA: I think I'll have to change my answer for HBP to Dumbledore. I'm remembering all the things he said to Harry, especially when talking about prophecy. I really thought he gave Harry great words of wisdom and it showed me why Dumbledore is regarded as so wise.

Last edited by MistressofRaven; February 24th, 2010 at 5:17 am.
Old February 17th, 2010, 4:35 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
Book Seven: Hmmm...Neville most likely. He showed he was not just a competent wizard, but a badass one as well! He stood up to Voldemort to his face! "I won't follow you! DUMBLEDORE'S ARMY!!!" I mean come on! Thats awesome! He appears as totally beat upon and scarred but that doesnt deter him at all! His head was set on fire and yet what did he do? Grab that sword and chop that snake's head off! Yes! Also the obvious answer of Snape again showing how courageous he really was.
Yeah, Neville is kind of "made of awesome" in that book. (apologies to Iggy's avatar).

And don't forget that even before we see him, he leads the charge to try to steal the Sword of Gryffindor from Snape's office. That takes some guts, especially when you don't know that Snape is secretly on your side!

I just love that in the course of the series Neville goes from being the poor hapless boy who melts his cauldron to a full-fledged war hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistressofRaven
DH: Phineas Nigellus
I love this answer. Never would have occurred to me, but it rocks!

In his own snide way, Phineas Nigellus saves the day... even if Snape does have to call him out for calling Hermione a Mudblood. And can you imagine how boring it must have been to stay at his post waiting and waiting and waiting to have someone from the trio (or duo) reveal where they were located so that he could report it back to the Headmaster? I shudder to think how much of his time he must have spent blinded in Hermione's bag.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old February 17th, 2010, 7:02 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

My favorite character overall is Ron (no suprise there), but in OOTP Neville really shines for me. This is where he changes from the clumsy round headed boy to the boy who really is worth more than 12 Malfoys.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old February 17th, 2010, 9:37 pm
Fourth Year

aaaah this is hard but i'll give it a go

PS - Either Harry or Hermione. I miss Harry's innocence and awe at all things magic in the later books. And Hermione because she reminds me of me when I was 11

CoS - Lockheart, even though he is probably the least likable character, without his deluded ideas, this book would be way more serious than it is

PoA - Lupin, he's just so nice and caring towards everyone, despite hating himself deep down for being a werewolf and betraying Dumbledore's trust

GoF - Sirius because he's there for Harry in this one, in PoA we're meant to hate him and in OotP he's too bitter at not being able to do anything for the order and being stuck in his old house.

OotP - Fred & George, or Peeves, when F&G leave, they really come into their element when they're rebelling against Umbridge and causing havoc for her. Actually I love Tonks in this one as well, and Luna because she understands Harry. Aaargh there's too many - I can't decide

HBP - Not sure about this one. Possibly Dumbledore, because we get to see him more, instead of being the hero that comes at the end to save everyone. We get a chance to see the more human side of him

DH - It's a tie between Neville and McGonagall. You really see that Neville has changed so much in this one, but I think McGonagall is so awesome too! We see how much she actually cares about Harry and I always laugh at the mental picture I have of her leading the charging desks

Old February 18th, 2010, 12:41 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
I always laugh at the mental picture I have of her leading the charging desks
LOL Yeah! I almost forgot about that. Thats just winner! "CHAAAARGE!"

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Old February 24th, 2010, 1:35 am
First Year

Re: Favorite character in each book / in the whole series

SS: Harry- he's so innocent then! So young!
CoS: Dobby- I just love Dobby in general!
PoA: Lupin- The best professor in my opinion!
GoF: Tough one, probably Hagrid because we discover more about him
OotP: Luna, Tonks, or Sirius
HBP: Luna, Neville, or Ginny- only ones who wanted to continue DA
DH: Ginny or Hermione- both show that they are strong girls in this book!
Overall: Bellatrix Lestrange!!!!!!!! She's my favorite, but I absolutely despise her!

Old February 24th, 2010, 4:00 am
First Year

Ah, this is going to be so hard! But I want to say first off that Harry is my favorite character of the entire series. Not because it's his story and it's all based around him, but because he is honestly so strong. I can't imagine going through the things he went through. When he found out he was famous, he didn't eat it all up; He just wanted to be normal. To make friends. To be treated right. Yes, at times he got angry and distant, but can you really blame him? He's a natural born leader, and he's so loyal and grateful for all the people who have ever helped him. He would (and has) put his friends before himself any day.

OKAY, rant over.
My list -
SS: The trio and Hagrid. I simply can't chose one. They were all so cute and charming in their own ways.
CoS: Tom Riddle. I didn't necessarily like him, but it was so interesting to learn about who he was. I remember when I first read it way back when. I was so shocked when I found out he was Voldemort!
PoA: Sirius, definitely. After everything, he turns out to be a great guy, and Harry finally finds himself with a truly loving family member. (Lupin comes in second. I love him.)
GoF: Hermione. She shows true loyalty to her friends in this book, helping Harry with the tournament, and trying to mend his and Ron's friendship. Plus the whole Viktor Krum thing was funny.
OotP: Fred & George. I loved how much hell they put Umbridge through. Hermione, as well, for in this book she came up with the D.A., and of course getting Harry that interview with Rita Skeeter.
HBP: Dumbledore. Just.. everything about him in this book.
DH: Pretty much everyone in this book. Hermione for staying back to help Harry, even though it broke her heart to see Ron leave. Neville, for showing his bravery and his courage at last. And most definitely Snape. His story was absolutely heart breaking. Harry's a given.. When he enters the forest, knowing he has to die.. That chapter killed me.

Old February 24th, 2010, 4:23 am
First Year

Overall: Ron!!
PS: ...Hagrid.
CoS: Ginny.
PoA: Hermione. I thought the whole time turner thing was pretty cool. I wonder how she pulled it off for so long.
GoF: Umm... not sure.
OotP: Harry.
HBP: Dumbledore.
DH: Definitely Snape. The chapter "The Prince's Tale" just blew me away.

I think all of those characters had a huge role in the specific book and in the series in general.

"If you're not in Gryffindor, we'll disinherit you, but no pressure."

"You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;"

-The Sorting Hat

Proud Gryffindor

Last edited by MissPopcorn; February 25th, 2010 at 1:54 am.
Old February 24th, 2010, 9:38 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPopcorn View Post
Overall: Ron!!
Agreed! I also love Snape, he's so complex! Both are my favorite characters. But there are other characters I really loved in the series.

PS/SS: Neville
CoS: Hermione
PoA: Lupin
GoF: Harry
OotP: Harry
HBP: Dumbledore
DH: Hermione/Harry

Old February 24th, 2010, 10:08 am
First Year

PS: Dumbledore
COS: Hermione
POA: Sirius and Lupin
GOF: Fred and George
OOTP: Sirius and Fred and George
HBP: Dumbledore
DH: Definatley Snape- He's one of the most interesting characters in the entire series and i love being able to understand him

Old February 24th, 2010, 10:34 pm
First Year

Oh geeze, this is hard!
Okay, Overall, the whole shebang: Severus Snape
SS: Dumbledore or Hermione
CoS: Lockhart (love to hate him) or Lucius
PoA: Remus Lupin
GoF: Alistor "Mad-Eye" Moody
OoP: Sirius Black
HBP: Tom Riddle Jr., AKA Lord Voldemort
DH: Snape or Hemione

Epilogue: James Sirius Potter

Clicky! Help me save Them! ^ (There's another few on my scroll)
Old March 12th, 2010, 4:08 pm
First Year

Snape. he was so interesting.
i also enjoyed sirius, Kreacher [in seven], and draco [more towards six and seven].
harry was great as well- the modesty and bravery, given his circumstances.

Old March 19th, 2010, 2:49 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat View Post
SS - Snape and Minerva
CoS - Minerva
PoA - Snape
GoF - Snape and the twins
OotP - Snape
HBP - SNAPE
DH - Snape, Snape, Snape

Favorite Overall (Surprise!) The Potions Master, Professor Severus Snape
lol

Anyway, onto mine.Harry and Hermione all through the series.
Book by book

SS: Harry and Hermione
COS: Dobby
POA:Ron,Harry and Hermione
GOF: Twins, Harry and Hermione
Phoenix: Twins, Luna and Hermione. ( Harry makes me mad in this one)
HBP: Ginny, Ron, Harry
DH: Harry, Hermione and Neville, Kreacher.

Now , about Snape. I think he is J.K´s best character ever. I however , hated him all through the series, so I could not say he was my favorite. I learned to respect him as Harry did, but I could not single him as a favorite despite his greatness.

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy

Last edited by Montse; March 19th, 2010 at 2:52 am.
Old March 19th, 2010, 9:39 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Nice thread!

PS: Harry. He was so very interesting and drew me into the series immediately. But Ron was amazing too, especially while playing Wizard's chess with McGonagall's transfigured chess pieces.

CoS: Gilderoy Lockhart. He gave me an excellent laugh. I especially love Ron's reaction to him

PoA: Sirius and Remus. Lupin was fantastic throughout the book. I knew I'd like him the moment he spoke to Harry on Hogwart's Express. Sirius was amazing in the Shrieking Shack and the climax and ending, which is probably my most favourite of all 7 books, made me love him.

GoF: Rita Skeeter. She had me in splits with her Quick Quotes Quill and interviews and what-not Dumbledore, if only for the 'Remember Cedric Diggory' speech.

OOTP: Sirius...because he was stuck in the place he hated the most and had to stay put while watching all other members of the Order risk their neck for Dumbledore and Harry. McGonagall because she handled Umbridge so very well! She had some of the best lines in the book starting from 'Are you sure you don't want a cough drop, Dolores?' to 'It unscrews the other way' to Peeves Tonks and Luna were brilliant too

HBP: Dumbledore. The final chapters of the book were so very gripping. The Phoenix Lament was beautifully written too.

DH: Harry. DH isn't my favourite book, but I loved Harry and his tryst with Expelliarmus in the book

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; March 19th, 2010 at 9:50 am.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak