Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Favorite character in each book / in the whole series

Old January 19th, 2010, 1:14 am
Second Year

Favorite character in each book / in the whole series

So, who's your favorite overall character in the series? And which characters do you like the best in each book?
Curious about people's thoughts/views on the characters.

My fave overall character has gotta be Fred. I'd say Fred and George, but I'm leaning more towards Fred, sort of outta respect. x) The twins always lighten the mood, especially during the war.

SS: I'd say the trio in general, because they're really innocent and stuff in this one. And definitely Hagrid. Can't say why, though.

CoS: DOBBY! For being the lovable li'l house-elf he is. And I like Ron in this one; 'specially his hilarious arachnophobia xD And the twins, for making a joke out of the whole 'Harry is Slytherin's heir because he can talk to snakes' thing. "Seriously evil wizard coming through..." and "He's off to have tea with his fanged friend"

PoA: Ooh, tough one, but I'm leaning towards Sirius. Lupin's really close to a favourite though, he's so cool and collected, and his lessons are... yeah, wicked. Sirius is a fave because, well, it's Sirius; he can't NOT be a favorite.

GoF: Rita Skeeter! xD Lol, jkjk. The Crouch-Moody is really wicked. If it wasn't for the sick stuff Crouch Jr did he would've been a straight fave, even though he's evil. xD Oh yeah, and Bill and Charlie are seriously cool Weasleys. And I gotta mention Sirius, for his efforts to help Harry so much, even though he's on the run from Dementors. Ooh, I almost forgot Dobby, again, for his LOVE of SOCKS. =D

OotP: Well this one needs a whole list: Firstly, Sirius, partly out of respect because he got killed () but mostly because of the really awesome guy (and dog ) he is; then there's Shacklebolt - he is awesome! And Tonks is seriously hilarious. Who else... oh yeah, there's also Luna; Neville; McGonagall; Snape (kinda); Firenze; and Trelawney. =) Oh, and the twins of course, for their absolutely crazy exit, and for actually managing to get Peeves to do something for them (though thats not all that surprising ).

HBP: I cant really decide.. I'd probably say Dumbles and Malfoy the most. I'd list reasons, and other characters, but I'm getting tired of thinking. xD

DH: The list will never end so I'm not even gunna bother posting it.

"You're joking, Perce! You actually are joking.... I don’t think I’ve heard you joke since you were –" The air exploded.

"And Percy was shaking his brother, and Ron was kneeling beside them, and Fred's eyes stared without seeing, the ghost of his last laugh still etched upon his face."

Proud Gryffindor

Last edited by Sirius_Weasley; March 21st, 2010 at 5:14 am.
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2010, 3:35 am
Fourth Year

Re: Favorite character in each book/ in the whole series?

Hmm... okay...
  • SS: Harry. He's so sweet in this book, with none of the signs of arrogance he displays later.
  • CoS: This is my least favorite book, and I don't love any of the characters introduced in it... but what the heck. Dobby
  • PoA: Lupin! He's my favorite overall character too; he's incredibly sweet and caring, and he's endured so much and come through it not at all embittered. I sort of see him as the anti-Snape.
  • GoF: I'm going to go with Cedric, if only out of respect for his memory. I loved Moody on a first reading, but then it turned out to not be him at all! Big let-down.
  • OotP: It's a draw between Tonks and Luna. I think they're both brilliant!
  • HBP: I can't say I like Draco exactly, but I love how he develops from a one-dimensional bully into a three-dimensional character with insecurities and pain in this installment.
  • DH: Neville's great in Deathly Hallows, but unfortunately it's mostly off-screen. I liked Bill, even though he didn't have many scenes; I really respected him. Not many guys would be willing to take in a rag-tag group of people like Harry, Ron, Hermione, Luna, Dean, Ollivander and Griphook at a moments notice without asking any questions, especially after they had just recently gotten married. McGonagall was pretty amazing too, as was Hermione for sticking with Harry though a nerve-racking and pointless camping trip for months even after Ron abandoned them. But ultimately, this one has to go to Harry too; The Forest Again just blows me away. I think it's incredible how he overcame the temptation of the Hallows to lay down his wand and go to his own death. *sniff*
But my overall favorite is still Lupin. I love him!

I cordially dislike Severus Snape.

Last edited by LoonyForMoony; January 19th, 2010 at 4:07 pm.
Old January 19th, 2010, 3:38 am
Second Year

Overall- Dobby

SS: Hagrid
CoS: Dobby
PoA: Lupin
GoF: Moody(Crouch)
OotP: Neville/Luna
HBP: Harry
DH: Dobby/Hermione

Proud Gryffindor
Old January 19th, 2010, 3:51 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Favorite character in each book: SS/PS Harry he is so awesome despite of how he was raised.
COS: Dobby
POA: toss-up between Lupin and Sirius
GOF: do the dragons count?
OotP: Molly & Arthur
HBP: HBP, the book Harry uses; full of interesting stuff. And why did Snape think he had to change the book?
DH: Dobby again. I miss him.

Old January 19th, 2010, 4:04 am
Second Year

I love Hermione all around!!!!

Old January 19th, 2010, 4:20 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

My favorite character overall, in the series, is Severus Snape.

By book, I'd pick the favorite as follows:

-PS/SS: Hermione. I liked her bossy, overly studious self from Day One, and I liked her rescue of Harry from "Snape" and her role in overcoming the obstacles.
-CoS: Gilderoy Lockhart, because he was just so amazingly funny to snicker about.
-PoA: Hermione - she had the Time Turner. I loved that part of the book. On rereads Snape is a close second in this one, now that I have the right backstoru to understand what must be going on in his head in this book.
-GoF: A tie between Hermione and Snape. I lover her dealing with Rita at the end, and the Krum/Hermione subplot of the book. But this is also the book in which we learn Snape was once a Death Eater, and he returns to his work as a spy at the end.
-OotP: Hermione, for inventing the DA, arranging Harry's interview with Rita, and leading Umbridge to the centaurs.
-HBP: Severus Snape, for the amazing chapter that is "Spinner's End" and the shocking conclusion.
DH: Snape again.

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old January 19th, 2010, 4:44 am
First Year

Sirius and Lupin are my overall favorite characters. They compliment each other very well in my opinion.

For each book:
SS: Harry
CoS: Ginny
PoA: Lupin or Sirius
GoF: Hermione
Ootp: Luna or Tonks
HBP: Draco, for how he develops
DH: Too hard to choose.

Old January 19th, 2010, 5:27 am
Sixth Year

PS/SS: Hedwig
PoA: Remus
GoF: Undecided
OoTP: Luna
HBP: Merope
DH: Hermione

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old January 19th, 2010, 5:49 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

NOTE: I exclude Harry from this list because, as the protagonist of the series, he is naturally the most important character, the one who undergoes the most growth and the one about whom we know the most, so he's always number one, really, but that would make for a fairly boring post. So, after Harry, my answers are:

My overall favorites are the Weasley Twins (and I still haven't forgiven Jo, and I don't think I ever will! )

SS/PS: Hagrid--he's so cute with his creature fixation and way of letting important information slip out to Harry, plus I'll always like him for putting a pig tail on Dudley and intimidating Uncle Vernon into shutting up for once.

COS: Fred and George, for making jokes about Harry being the Heir of Slytherin when the whole school was all stressed and terrified. It forshadowed their future attitude when Voldemort returns. I just love the bit where they march in front of Harry shouting "Make way for the Heir of Slytherin! Seriously evil wizard coming through!:

POA: Oliver Wood--his desperation about finally winning the Quidditch Cup is just so fun! I love that he told McGonnagal that he didn't care if the Firebolt killed Harry just so long as Harry caught the snitch first!

GOF: this one's a tough call for me, but I guess I'd say Moody right up until the moment that he reveals himself to be Barty Crouch Jr. I guess I'm sold by Draco Malfoy: the Amazing Bouncing Ferret that MoodyCrouch made...

OOTP: Hermione, for one reason only--she is the main instigator of the rebellion against Umbridge, from reading the whole DADA book overnight just so she can criticize it to Umbridge to coming up with the idea for Dumbledore's Army to getting Rita Skeeter to write the Quibbler interview. Luna comes in a close second here--she just has such a great fresh new perspective on everything.

HBP: Slughorn, for being the first "good" Slytherin, for giving us the first picture we ever had of Lily as an individual instead of just James' wife or Harry's mother, and for being so delightful in his efforts to make rich and powerful connections and serve his own interests (it amuses me, admittedly in a bit of a dark way, how he was so happy to participate in Aragog's funeral because of the opportunity to score some acromantula venom, for example)

DH: Hermione again, for lugging around everything in that little beaded bag, for showing how much she's improved at handling a sudden emergency (she came a long way from cowering in the corner while Harry and Ron dispatched the troll in the bathroom), for sticking by Harry even at the cost of her own happiness (because her love for Ron could have very easily meant that she would have gone with him when he abandoned Harry), and for smart-mouthing off to Scrimgeour when he came to deliver the trio's inheritances from Dumbledore.

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old January 19th, 2010, 7:31 am
Banned

Oh I wouldn't exclude Harry, though he is the hero of the series. He can be quite annoying, especially in OotP, when he gets angry all the time. I could have strangled him on several occasions.

Anyway, my favourites:

PS/SS: Harry (well, he wasn't annoying yet ) and Hermione

CoS: Believe it or not, Tom Riddle because he's so fascinating, with those good looks ("la beauté du diable" - the beauty of the devil) and those terrible, dark, evil schemes.

PoA: Oliver Wood and Cedric Diggory, both because of Quidditch. I endorse what Anhelda said above about Wood, and Cedric because he shows how fair he is, when he asks for a rematch though he caught the Snitch fair and square before he realized the Dementors had caused Harry to fall off his broom. I also like the scene where Wood won't come out of the shower and the twins say that they suspect he's trying to drown himself in it.

GoF: Cedric Diggory (no surprise there to anyone, I'm sure) He's the Champion chosen by the Goblet but he lets Harry upstage him without rancor, and again at the end shows his sense of fair play ("walking away from the kind of glory Hufflepuff hadn't known for centuries") and his courage - and dies for it.

OotP: Sirius. I feel sorry for him, being cooped up in Grimmauld Place - and then going to his death, trying to save Harry. Hermione (for thinking of the DA and outwitting Rita Skeeter), Cho (for supporting Harry and for her loyalty, however misplaced, to Marietta) and the Twins again, especially because of the way they fight Umbridge and leave in a blaze of glory. Plus the whole of the DA.

HBP: Believe it or not, Draco, who here shows courage and ingenuity, and is trying to "redeem" his father in Voldemort's eyes. I don't like Draco per se, but here he shows his mettle - and also the fact that he's not a killer, not really a Death Eater at all. And Dumbledore for his personal courage and the understanding he shows Draco (among other sterling qualities.)

DH: Hermione, for the reasons Anhelda listed, the members of the Potterwatch, Harry himself (he stopped being annoying) - and Snape. He shows so much bravery, and his death is so pathetic, one can't help but feel for him.

I can't decide on a favourite for the whole series. Even I admit that Cedric doesn't have a big enough role, and only shows up in two books. So I pass on this one.

Last edited by FleurduJardin; January 19th, 2010 at 7:36 am.
Old January 19th, 2010, 8:16 am
Splendide Mendax

This is going to be painful...

SS: Hagrid. Decidedly THE funniest Deus ex machina.
CoS: Riddle. LOVED the whole Machiavellian plot.
PoA: Lupin. For coming clean at the Shack.
GoF: Skeeter woman. Had me rolling on the floor half the time.
OotP: A toss between Black (the whole James/Harry projection was heartbreaking) and the Weasley twins (come on, how many people can get Peeves to salute! )
HBP: Snape. Can you even imagine being faced with such choices?
DH: Dumbledore, for the confession in "King's Cross".

Old January 19th, 2010, 9:18 am
Second Year

Wow, I just realised I forgot about Luna! *head-desk* Yeah, she's gotta come in one of the top faves in OotP. And Hermione and Ron (obviously) in pretty much all of them, just for sticking by Harry. And-- okay, I'll stop myself from listing every single 'important' person (lol, that'll be a heck of a lot of people =p). I'll just list them then,without the reasons, since they should be obvious c:
Snape, Draco, the Weasleys -- not really sure about Percy though... I dunno, he's kkind my least fave Weasley :/ -- umm... VOLDY for sure! =p

"You're joking, Perce! You actually are joking.... I don’t think I’ve heard you joke since you were –" The air exploded.

"And Percy was shaking his brother, and Ron was kneeling beside them, and Fred's eyes stared without seeing, the ghost of his last laugh still etched upon his face."

Proud Gryffindor
Old January 19th, 2010, 9:20 am
First Year

This is tough! Here we go. . .

Favourite Overall Character: Severus Snape, obviously.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone: Rubeus Hagrid
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: Moaning Myrtle
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: Remus Lupin
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Cedric Diggory
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: Sirius Black
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince: Severus Snape
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Aberforth Dumbledore

I have other favourites in each book, but I guess these were the first that came to mind. . .I love the Malfoys, but I really couldn't put them as a favourite in any one book. XoX

Last edited by meLzo; January 21st, 2010 at 9:07 am.
Old January 19th, 2010, 10:58 am
Fifth Year

PS Hagrid
Cos Dobby
PoA Lupin
GoF Barty Crouch J.R. or Dobby
OoP Umbridge
HBP Dumbledore
DH Dobby

I excluded the trio cause most of the time after CoS they just were lucky or annoyed the hell out of me.In GoF I wish they had killed off Ron and in OoPh I would not have minded if Harrh had broken his neck.
I wish J.K. had invented nicer heroes.Harry is very good at insulting his best friends behind their backs.Don't get me wrong the overall story is great but some characters are pretty annoying and they are not even the bad guys.

Old January 19th, 2010, 11:44 am
First Year

Hmmm.

PS/SS: Mr. Ollivander
COS: Dobby
POA: Sirius
GOF: Barty Crouch Jr. (He was way evil but awesome at it)
OOTP: Kreacher
HBP: Draco
DH: Regulus Arcturus Black

My overall favorite was Regulus. He was really brave and I think that if he had a better family he would not have been a Death Eater.

^Made by leah49, thank you so much!

The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure.

Then Teach Me To See With My Ears, So I'll Find Out What True Beauty Really Is

My Regulus Black FanFic: It Doesn't Really Matter http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=123698

I've Been Sorted.
Old January 19th, 2010, 6:23 pm
First Year

PS/SS: Hagrid...best way/person to introduce harry to the magic world
PoA: Sirius Black....i loved the portrayal of his loyalty to the Potter's
GoF: Mad eye / Barty Crouch jr
OOTP: i loved to hate Umbridge
HBP: Slughorn...
DH: Aberforth Dumbledore

Old January 19th, 2010, 7:26 pm
Sixth Year

Severus Snape, for the whole series.

PS: Dumbledore
CoS: Lockhart
PoA: Lupin
GoF: Moody (even as a fake)
OotP: Luna
HBP: Slughorn
DH: Aberforth and Griphook

There is nothing wrong in being ambitious.
Old January 19th, 2010, 8:46 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Okay, here goes:

Overall: Severus Snape.

PS/SS: Rubeus Hagrid (though Harry comes in a close second) - He's just so wonderful and funny.
CoS: Harry Potter - Poor kid has a lot to deal with, what with being a Parselmouth and all.
PoA: Remus Lupin - He's just great in this book, teaching Harry the Patronus charm and giving Harry all that background info at the Shrieking Shack.
GoF: Severus Snape - For standing his ground and not fleeing as the Dark Mark grows stronger, for having the courage to face the humiliation of revealing the Dark Mark to Fudge in front of the kids, for having the courage to report to Voldemort, not knowing if he's walking into his death.
OotP: Weasley twins - Their rebellion against Umbridge just makes the book.
HBP: Dumbledore - In addition to teaching Harry Voldemort's background, there's just that wonderful scene at the beginning with the Dursleys. I mean, who can't love him clinking glasses against the Dursleys' heads?
DH: Severus Snape - Where do I start? For placing himself between Hogwarts and the Dark Lord, for saving Lupin's life, for the Silver Doe Patronus, for protecting the sword of Gryffindor from Voldemort and then planting it for Harry to find, for only using defensive charms against the Heads of House and diving out the window rather than harm them, for never pleading for his life in front of Voldemort, and for sticking to his mission even as he's dying and giving Harry his memories.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old January 20th, 2010, 2:16 am
First Year

My fav character in the whole series was Neville Longbottom. In the early books, I identified so much with him, that I feel there is hope for me based on how he turned out in the later books.

Old January 20th, 2010, 4:15 am
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

SS - Snape and Minerva
CoS - Minerva
PoA - Snape
GoF - Snape and the twins
OotP - Snape
HBP - SNAPE
DH - Snape, Snape, Snape

Favorite Overall (Surprise!) The Potions Master, Professor Severus Snape

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see