Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Why wasn't Dumbledore afraid of death?

Old April 7th, 2010, 2:33 am
First Year

Re: Why wasn't Dumbledore afraid of death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishSkinJer View Post
Yes, Dumbledore did make mistakes like any other mortal man, but ultimately I do believe that he came to peace with death and had many months to think of his belief that he was simply on another adventure.
You put it beautifully! Dumbledore was too wise to be afraid of death.

Quote:
These, to me, do not indicate fear. They show that he is very curious and we know what curiosity did to the cat. Also, remember in OotP Sir Nick said that since he is a ghost, he does not know all the secrets of death. I cannot imagine a man like Dumbledore would forego learning the Secrets of the Afterlife
I think Dumbledore wanted the Hallows, not because he was afraid or death or curious, but because he was selfish and wanted to live longer.

the Consitpation Sensation That's Gripping the Nation!

PROUD GRYFFINDOR
Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2010, 3:53 am
I want to believe

I have a feeling that as Dumbledore got older and wiser, he realized there were things worse than death. As he got older, I think he accepted death more and more, and came to see it as not only inevitable but is preferable in some cases (for instance I believe he'd have considered the Dementor's Kiss to be such a case). I'd have to agree that Dumbledore's desire for the Hallows probably didn't stem from a fear of death, but rather a desire for more life and to restore the lives of those he'd lost.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old April 7th, 2010, 4:24 am
First Year

Quote:
Why wasn't Dumbledore afraid of death? He showed signs of being afraid of death when he took the sorcerers stone that was a sign of tricking death, and when he tried to collect all 3 deathly hallows item, thats another sign that he feared death he wanted to master it, Dumbledore should have become a ghost like all others who fear death.
I don't fear death. I'm not a super extraordinary wizard who has lived a long, long time. I don't consider myself to be extraordinarily wise, either. Dumbledore didn't fear death because of his experiences in life and his beliefs. He knew that all things must end, some things are worth dying for, and that there are worse things than death. He's not immune to fear, though; and part of his fears, I believe, come from an altruistic perspective. His longevity doesn't prevent him from wanting to continue his unbroken streak of living.

I think his quest for the Hallows in part came from an insatiable curiosity. That's my main thought on that topic for the moment, because admittedly, I'm working off the cuff here, and with a fuzzy memory.

“It is a fair, even-handed, noble adjustment of things, that while there is infection in disease and sorrow, there is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good humour.”
Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol

{multifarious verbiage} {muppetitis} {ozian}
Old April 7th, 2010, 7:35 am
Sixth Year

Dumbledore wanted the Hallows and more precisely the Resurrection Stone because he wanted his parents to come back and take care of his sister.

Old April 7th, 2010, 10:54 pm
Second Year

I do not believe he was afraid of death. As he says himself: "There are far worse things in this world than death." Dumbledore wanted the Hallows, as he also claims himself, because of his own greed and selfishness. A man in a million could unite the Hallows, and Dumbledore wanted to be that man. Not so he could conquer Death, but so he could bask in the glory of actually doing it.

At the end of DH, Dumbledore has learned from the mistakes of his youth and has come to terms with his reality. He has learned to view death as simply, the next great adventure.

I've been Sorted.
Old April 8th, 2010, 12:04 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonks_Animagus View Post
Because he was wise. No wise person is afraid of death. Everyone learns to accept while they grow up.
Howdy Tonks_Animagus,

Sometimes it doesn't take many words to speak the truth. You have chosen your words wisely.

"No wise person is afraid of death."

I believe Dumbledore's wisdom came from years of experience...he made mistakes in life...but he looked for and found lessons from those mistakes...in short, he gained wisdom.

But, you know, I am not sure that "Everyone learns to accept while the grow up." Some fear death right up till the end. And, perhaps, some, because of what they did in life, have good reason to fear death.

Dumbledore had wisdom...and, I believe, he had no reason to fear death. In the end he saw a way to maybe save Draco's soul...I believe both Dumbledore and Professor Snape had conversations related to the situation Draco found himself in...and it was during those conversations that Dumbledore convinced Snape to do what he did in the Astronomy Tower...for Draco's sake.

Dumbledore was a good...and, yes, a wise man. Harry learned many lessons in the time he spent with Professor Dumbledore. Many lessons.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan

"I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn.
I can see the campfire smokin' at the breakin' of the dawn.
I can hear the broncos neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing
I'd like to be in Texas for the roundup in the spring."

I've been proudly sorted into Gryffindor!!!

Last edited by WildOldDan; April 8th, 2010 at 12:12 am.
Old April 8th, 2010, 1:33 am
Third Year

Reading through the comments i realized you guys are right including one of the comments that said how the Hallows was mere curiosity. Albus Dumbledore did not fear death. Perhaps i look to deep into this subject, yes?

Harry, you wonderful boy, you brave, brave man.
R.I.P.

Their daring, nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.
Proud Gryffindor

Old April 19th, 2010, 8:08 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyjets4004 View Post
Why wasn't Dumbledore afraid of death? He showed signs of being afraid of death when he took the sorcerers stone that was a sign of tricking death, and when he tried to collect all 3 deathly hallows item, thats another sign that he feared death he wanted to master it, Dumbledore should have become a ghost like all others who fear death.
Being a ghost will be the last thing for Dumbledore. As Harry puts it himself, he would have "gone on". Death is not something that Dumbledore tried to avoid. For him, and I think for the whole theme of all the seven books of Harry Potter, it's just another stage to move on to. Nearly headless Nick seems to have regretted his decision to remain as ghost.

But that's for the story, as for how we ourselves, mortal beings, face death, that's entirely another question.

Winky45

Old April 20th, 2010, 12:52 am
First Year

"To the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure!"

some may challenge dumbledore having an organized mind, yet i think dumbledore looked at death as the beginning of an end. furthermore, at the end of DH, when harry dies and meets dumbledore at Kings Cross, dumbledore is calm and collected, with no fear. (i attribute that to the "baby", whom i believe is fear, but that's a different topic).

"Without music, life would be a mistake." -Friedrich Nietzsche
Old April 20th, 2010, 1:37 am
Third Year

I don't think that Dumbledore was afraid of death, because he knew that death would bring him to his sister and his parents- and through touching the Resurrection Stone, with the Curse, the Mirror of Erised, and collecting the rest of the Deathly Hallows, he just wanted to be with his family.

Deathly Hallows Part 2 almost made me a Snape-fan. . .almost. But then I re-read Deathly Hallows and I came back to my senses and the world was the way it's supposed to be.
Old April 20th, 2010, 11:09 pm
First Year

Dumledore was imperfect of course. He wanted the power. He wanted to see his family
I know this has already been stated, but I wholly agree.
Dumbledore wasn't afraid of dying, nor could he see any reason to be. He said so himself in Sorcerer's Stone.
"After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure." ~Albus Dumbledore

I'd say Dumbledore's mind was about as well organized as one could get.

Proud Gryffindor!
Old May 3rd, 2010, 2:03 am
Second Year

I think he was a bit afraid but didn't show it. Dumbledore is a brave man, and he lived a long, full life. I think he was scared, especially, because he wouldn't see what happened to his school, his students (especially Harry), and his professors, and the rest of the world - Wizards and muggles. But, since he lived such a long full life, I think he was fine with dying - similar to Nicholas Flamel.

"It's lucky it's dark. I haven't blushed so much since Madame Pomfrey told me she liked my new earmuffs."
Old May 3rd, 2010, 2:05 am
Fourth Year

I think he was afraid but I think he was also brave. The bravery over-powered the fear. he knew what he had to do and his fear of death needed to be on the back burner. Kind of like Harry.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 2:11 am
Third Year

thats my point but no doubt bravery over came the fear

Harry, you wonderful boy, you brave, brave man.
R.I.P.

Their daring, nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.
Proud Gryffindor

Old May 16th, 2010, 1:16 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotcha_Harry View Post
I think Dumbledore wanted the Hallows, not because he was afraid or death or curious, but because he was selfish and wanted to live longer.
Exactly what I was going to say.

Old May 16th, 2010, 9:46 pm
First Year

And let's not forget
Quote:
"In fact, being - forgive me - rather cleverer than most men, my mistakes tend to be correspondingly huger."
The things that he did in the past might have been mistakes. Everything he did with Grindelwald was in the end a big mistake, but to be able to face death so surely he had to have made those mistakes

Proud to be a Hufflepuff
Old May 19th, 2010, 9:22 am
Sixth Year

I think he did not fear death because of his experience with the Hallows. And then, he realised there was something more painful than death-losing one's loved ones, Arianna.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old June 5th, 2010, 3:55 am
First Year

It seems to me that he was afraid of death in his youth. He didn't want to die before experiencing things, but as he aged and wised up a bit, he realized that there were more terrible things than death and that he had experienced enough to be qualified as a life well spent.

Above all
Those who live without love.

- Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
Old June 7th, 2010, 3:52 pm
Second Year

To the well organised mind, death is but the next great adventure.

Old June 7th, 2010, 4:14 pm
First Year

Something that Dumbledore has said has always stuck out to me. It was while he and Harry were crossing the lake in order to get to the Horcrux. Harry noticed that there are bodies in the water and says something about it.

Dumbledore says something like.

Quote:
There is nothing to be feared from a body, Harry, any more than there is anything to be feared from darkness. Lord Voldemort, who of course, secretly fears both, disagrees. . .

But once again he reveals his own lack of wisdom. It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more.
I think for that sole reason Dumbledore did not fear death. The thing is that everything that's born on this earth, that's created, will in time come to an end.

This is pretty much inevitable. And I believe Dumbledore really understood this. Some will fear death, not only because it's the end of their lives, but because there is seemingly no concrete answer as to what happens when we die? Where do we go?

That presumably unanswerable answer makes death and what follows an unknown entity. Voldemort seemed to fear this most of all; the end of his existence and possibly moving to a place he did not understand or want to attempt to.

With the stone, I don't believe Dumbledore wanted it because he was afraid of death. Initially, he wanted the stone to bring back his mother I believe, so that he would no longer be his brother and sister's caretaker. And he'd be able to go through with the plan set by himself and Grindewald.

But after the death of his sister, which he may have felt or knew he caused, his sole purpose for wanting the ring was to see all of his family, presumably, whole again.

I don't think wanting the ring necesarily means one's afraid of death. Harry prefered it over the other Horcruxes as well - mainly to bring back his parents.
It seems Dumbledore wanted the same.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone