Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Is evil born or made?

Old June 8th, 2009, 5:30 pm
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

Re: Is evil born or made?

Lets not forget that this is about evil in the HP world.

Real life nature vs nurture discussions belong in the Office of Science & Nature.

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
Lets not forget that this is about evil in the HP world.

Real life nature vs nurture discussions belong in the Office of Science & Nature.
Yes I know Alastor, I was just using that article as an example of my view point on the issue.

I'll keep on topic from now on though .

As for evil in the HP world... Tom Riddle was most definitely evil from the start. Mistreating and treating other children while he was at the orphanage, controlling them and that kind of thing. He was most certainly your traditional sociopath/psychopath -- not a nice bone in his body.

As for Dumbledore -- he was most certainly an interesting case. He had the propensity to go either way (in terms of wanting power and whatnot when he was younger). But in the end, he chose the side of good.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old June 8th, 2009, 7:37 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

What about people like Lucius Malfoy and Draco? Were they born evil, or did they grow up to become evil? Or were they just misguided? I personally don't think Draco was evil, but I'm not sure about Lucius. We don't have concrete evidence that Lucius killed anyone. We just assumed he did because he was a DE. So, does that make him evil? Likewise Draco, he was supposed to kill Dumbledore, but in the end he didn't. So, can we say that he wasn't evil? He also refused to turn in Harry when the trio ends up at Malfoy manor. But, later during the big fight, he wanted to claim to be a DE. Personally, Draco was a snooty rich kid, all talk and not much else.

Old June 8th, 2009, 7:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
What about people like Lucius Malfoy and Draco? Were they born evil, or did they grow up to become evil? Or were they just misguided? I personally don't think Draco was evil, but I'm not sure about Lucius. We don't have concrete evidence that Lucius killed anyone. We just assumed he did because he was a DE. So, does that make him evil? Likewise Draco, he was supposed to kill Dumbledore, but in the end he didn't. So, can we say that he wasn't evil? He also refused to turn in Harry when the trio ends up at Malfoy manor. But, later during the big fight, he wanted to claim to be a DE. Personally, Draco was a snooty rich kid, all talk and not much else.
Hmm... interesting question.

I tend to think that it was definitely a combination of nature and nuture for those two. The fact that they're from an upper class and biased family -- not to mention that Dark Magic was really ingrained in their upbringing.

But you could be right about Draco -- it was in part circumstances for him. I don't think that he's evil either -- as shown at the end of the last book -- he still has his prejudices and what not... but for the most part he was being civil (for lack of a better way of putting it).

His dad on the other hand -- was just evil -- a manipulator, amoungst other things.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old June 8th, 2009, 8:48 pm
First Year

I don't think that Voldemore was born EVIL. I think he was born a right git, with a few traits a bit too strong--But he wasn't evil from the get-go. No, he was made evil, what with that childhood of his, and his pure blood mania, after he discovered that he was a wizard. Well, after he discovered that, he immediatly thought of the power that it would give him--And that selfishness developed. Nurture, definatly.

Blackmailing Professor Snape for an 'O' in Potions since 1998.
Old June 8th, 2009, 9:28 pm
First Year

Good or evil depends on what you want to be. That is basically what Dumbledore is trying to say. You choose good or you choose evil. No one can make the choice for you. Neither choice is right or wrong, if it's what you want.

Old June 10th, 2009, 7:51 am
Seventh Year

I believe it can be born, and it can be made. I only believe this because I have seen both happen. So I will use these experiences as my answers.

1) Born evil - My second cousin was evil from the moment he was born. He was cruel, hurt other children, badmouthed his parents and grandparents, and was always breaking things, punching holes in walls etc. Nothing we tried could calm him down. He is now in his 30's and is still the same. I haven't seen him for about 4 years, but we hear about what he has done from other family members.

2) Made evil - This is another one of my second cousins. He was born an angel. Couldn't have wished for a more well behaved child. Then, as he grew older, his own father started to teach him the wrong things. By the time he was 10, he was as bad as you could imagine. We didn't know him anymore. He had changed completely.

I could say the same thing for animals as well. In this case, I will use dogs in my example. My old neighbours bought a puppy and raised it well. It was the most adorable pup. Then the husband turned on the dog, started beating the dog, and being aggressive with it. Then other people would come over, go to pat the dog, and it would snap at them and growl and be really aggressive. Therefore, made evil. And in another situation, a friend of a friend went to by a puppy from a BYB (back yard breeder) and the Breeder said the dog was aggressive from day one. The pup wouldn't let any of the other pups feed from their mum, it would bite and tug on the other dogs ears, and it would try and snap at the Breeder when he tried to pull him away to let the other puppies feed (even though he could have only gummed the breeders hand) Therefore, born evil!

So yeah, I have basically got my point across .... I think

Last edited by ally_xx; June 10th, 2009 at 7:55 am.
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:37 am
First Year

I think it may have to do partly with the way the person was raised. Like Draco, for example. Look who raised him, Lucius is a Death Eater and Narcissa comes from a family that thinks even "half-bloods" are filthy, no goods. Which explains why Draco is the way he is. Then look at Ron, who like Draco comes from a pure-blood family, but the difference is that the Weasely's don't judge others and are kind people. And that explains why Ron is the way he is.

happy gryffindor
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:56 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Thread title caught my eye. Quite the philosophical question, hm?

In the case of Voldemort, I believe it's heavily hinted that his upbringing helped form the man he grew up to become. While it's never explicitly stated when Voldemort started down the path he did, there is plenty of emphasis put on Merope's absence and the gloominess of the orphanage that its role in his formation was likely quite profound.

As for the Malfoys, I don't believe any of them are 100% evil. They can't be, if they are at least able to care about their family members, though they don't give a hoot about anybody else. Draco, obviously, became a DE and a bully because he had been raised to believe that Muggles were scum and that Purebloods like the Malfoys were the best thing since sliced bread. He was pampered and carefully taught to hate. I wouldn't be surprised if the same could be said of Lucius.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old June 11th, 2009, 9:54 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
As for evil in the HP world... Tom Riddle was most definitely evil from the start. Mistreating and treating other children while he was at the orphanage, controlling them and that kind of thing. He was most certainly your traditional sociopath/psychopath -- not a nice bone in his body.
To me 'from the start' means the moment one is born - all the examples cited here are not from 'from the start' but from his childhood. Other than a reference to his not crying much as a baby we actually have no information about his formative years other that they were spent in a muggle orphanage - hardly enough to make definitive statements about what he was like in the first few days, months or even years of his life imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
As for the Malfoys, I don't believe any of them are 100% evil. They can't be, if they are at least able to care about their family members, though they don't give a hoot about anybody else. Draco, obviously, became a DE and a bully because he had been raised to believe that Muggles were scum and that Purebloods like the Malfoys were the best thing since sliced bread. He was pampered and carefully taught to hate. I wouldn't be surprised if the same could be said of Lucius.
It sometimes seems to me that there is not always a clear distinction made between, unpleasant, bad and evil. The three are all quite distinct from each other. I also think that JKR tried to make the point that niceness does not = goodness; look at Tom Riddle when he visits Hepzibah Smith - he is attractive, charming etc. All in all rather nice, well at least he is until he kills her! To me that illustrates the point rather well on its own but it is far from being the only time the point that external appearances are not a good indicator of reality in the series

My Fanfic - The Silver Thread - (WIP) updated 03/07/09

Sig by the most professional, clever & witty Boushh
(Original photo-manipulation of AR by helin)
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittling View Post
To me 'from the start' means the moment one is born - all the examples cited here are not from 'from the start' but from his childhood. Other than a reference to his not crying much as a baby we actually have no information about his formative years other that they were spent in a muggle orphanage - hardly enough to make definitive statements about what he was like in the first few days, months or even years of his life imo.
Ah good point kittling. Yea you're right about that. Guess we don't have that much information to really make a judgement about Tom there. But from the looks of things -- it just seems that way -- him being evil from the start.

Old June 12th, 2009, 5:06 am
Third Year

Evil is made, not born.

Just like Voldemort. He was born a normal boy, but when he found out that his dad had ditched his mother, it changed everything. I don't think a person can legally be born evil. In my opinion, there is no such thing. Evil is made. Voldemort was not born evil.

Old June 12th, 2009, 2:18 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittling View Post
The problem with that assessment is that an infant can't really do much to demonstrate anything like that. Even in the magical world, children typically don't display their magical abilities as infants. An infant is predominantly going to eat, sleep, pee, and poop - and normal infants are going to cry to let you know when they are hungry, tired, or need a diaper change. With an infant, that is going to be the primary indicator. An infant that doesn't cry is not normal - that is a sign that there is something wrong psychologically and/or emotionally. So we do have evidence that there was something wrong with Tom Riddle from the start - he didn't cry as a baby.

His formative years are spent in what is essentially a neutral environment. He is reasonably well cared for and shows no signs of abuse. He does not witness abuse or violence on a regular basis from what we are shown. The standard causes for "evil" being "made" are not present in this environment - it's not a dysfunctional family, there's no abuse, and he is not witnessing cruelty or violence on a regular basis, he's not being taught prejudice or anything like that, etc... The other children raised in the orphanage do not appear to have any psychological issues - and Mrs. Cole certainly doesn't mention anything that would indicate that any of the other children had any problems along those lines. All of those children are on equal footing in terms of the fact that they are orphans and were raised in the same environment in essentially the same way, but Tom Riddle stands out among the other children as an oddity.

As a child he displays a high level of control over his magical ability and uses it with cruelty and violence towards the other children. He is a loner and forms no attachments to the other children - no friends. He displays no empathy and a complete lack of remorse for his actions. Given the neutral environment, this is not learned behavior as there is no one around him for him to learn that level of negative behavior from. He was most likely born with psychological problems due to genetic defects - violent instincts and a cruel nature without the ability to feel empathy and, therefore, he cannot feel remorse.

Quote:
It sometimes seems to me that there is not always a clear distinction made between, unpleasant, bad and evil. The three are all quite distinct from each other. I also think that JKR tried to make the point that niceness does not = goodness; look at Tom Riddle when he visits Hepzibah Smith - he is attractive, charming etc. All in all rather nice, well at least he is until he kills her! To me that illustrates the point rather well on its own but it is far from being the only time the point that external appearances are not a good indicator of reality in the series
I would have to disagree that those three things are always quite distinct from each other. One can be unpleasant and not be bad or evil, but someone who is bad or evil is quite often going to be an unpleasant person as well. Umbridge is a good example of that as she displays all three in her behavior. As much as she tries to sugarcoat her nastiness with her girlish voice and giggles, her behavior cannot be deemed as nice because there is always and underlying nastiness to what she says and does. Voldemort could be quite charming when he wanted to be, but it was an act on his part - psychopaths are known for being very adept at fooling others. His true nature was very unpleasant. It is possible for a bad or evil person to hide that aspect of themselves with false charm, but I think it is made clear that this was just an act to cover their true nature. So I would say that those three things quite often go hand in hand.

For the Malfoys - their behavior shows them to be evil, IMO. They are cruel by nature and violent towards others. The fact that they love each other and their son - however warped that might be - does not change that, IMO. Their love for Draco is not demonstrated to be healthy - they inflict the same type of damage on Draco as the Dursleys did with Dudley. They spoil him lavishly, give him whatever he wants whether he's earned it or not, exercise no discipline - he was not prepared to deal with the real world because of his parents unhealthy love for him. In addition to that, they teach him to be prejudiced, selfish, and cruel and to see himself as superior to others.

Narcissa's display in Spinner's End is very disturbing, IMO. Not because she's upset about her son being placed in danger, but because she is not in the least bit upset about the reason why. She doesn't care in the slightest that "the plan" is to murder Dumbledore and her actions are not designed to prevent that from occurring, but instead to simply find someone else to murder Dumbledore instead of Draco because she is afraid Draco would be killed. She's not even concerned about the moral consequences of that for Draco - if she thought he had a chance of success, she would have been supportive of him murdering someone. Her fear was due to the possibility of him failing and being captured or killed rather than being upset about what he was being asked to do. Because of that, I still see her as an evil person. Fear for her son's safety doesn't change the fact that she condoned the murder of a man simply because he shared different beliefs and stood in Voldemort's way, IMO.

The Malfoy's primary concern throughout DH was to regain Voldemort's favor and get back into his good graces. They were willing to hand over the trio - knowing they would be condemning three people to death - to accomplish that. And, while Draco was afraid of the retribution if they were wrong, Lucius and Narcissa were overjoyed at the prospect. They sit back and do nothing while Hermione is tortured and they don't blink an eye when Greyback is given permission to kill her. She's just a "mudblood" and they don't care what happens to her. Draco copies Lucius and Narcissa in the Room of Requirement and attempts to capture Harry to hand him over to Voldemort personally for the same reason - to regain Voldemort's favor - and he doesn't care in the slightest what that would mean for Harry or his friends. Narcissa helps Harry in the end, but it's not because she came to realize that she was wrong - she is only concerned about finding Draco and doesn't care about anything else. She needed Harry to be dead so she could get into the castle and she didn't care if that was a lie or the truth because Harry's life meant nothing to her - her only concern was Draco. For me, the cruelty and violence displayed override everything else and shows them to be evil people in spite of having a limited capacity for love exclusive to their immediate family.

Whether they were born evil or simply made that way by their families is debatable - we don't have enough information to determine that as we do with Voldemort. Draco would appear to be the product of the damage his parents' inflicted upon him with their selfish love and teaching him negative ideals from birth, but that really would depend on whether there were genetic defects present as well, IMO. And considering the amount of inbreeding that typically occurs in families wanting their bloodline to remain "pure", it seems likely that there would be genetic defects present. But, either way, they demonstrate no desire to change and no compassion for anyone other than themselves so, in the end, they are still evil, IMO.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old June 12th, 2009, 3:19 pm
First Year

In my opinion ....
CHOICE is what mattered, not just on the child's part. As Dumbledore said:
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
If Harry had chosen to be a Slytherin, would he have been evil?
I believe he would.
If Merope hadn't CHOSEN to abandone Voldemort, he may have turned out okay.
If Marvolo had CHOSEN to treat her well, maybe she would have raised the baby Voldemort.

Old June 12th, 2009, 5:14 pm
First Year

I think its a combination of both

Where your born into has strong influence on you, but then again you do have a choice...

Old June 15th, 2009, 5:48 pm
Third Year

I don't think evil is born. I think it's more made. I mean, mayabe some people are more likely to become evil, but may choose not to be. And then there's everything in your formative years. Prejudices and such.

Old June 17th, 2009, 1:41 pm
Always Indy's Girl

Is evil born or made?

I think it's a combination between the two. There are people who are evil, nasty or even people who have been abused and taught wrong sometimes even by their parents from when they are very young and if they are left alone, without counselling and correcting their innate tendencies, they could very easily become evil.

Voldemort was an example where his early tendency to hurt others and control them was not addressed. He went on to curb his fears and insecurities in the way he thought was right, but which was evil. He had crossed over and to bring him back became impossible.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Old June 17th, 2009, 2:43 pm
First Year

First of all - I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread! I think we managed to develop a very interesting conversation here and I appreciate everyone who shares their views.

The Malfoy family question has been raised and I'd like to address it.
I've always had a problem with them, I never quite knew what to think of them. They never really managed to compare to Ballatrix Lestrange for example, in terms of evil doing and thinking. Bellatrix had no compassion for anyone besides Lord Voldermort. She didn't care a scrap for her nephews life when he was given the job to kill Dumbledore. You could actually feel how she relished her evil and twisted actions.
On the other hand, the Malfoys did care for each other at least, if not for other people. I kind of got the impression that they followed the Dark Lord because it gave them distinction and prestige. They were haughty and selfish and it was easier for them to channel that into supporting Voldemort who was all about creating "Wizarding Nobility". All they had to be proud of was their Pure Blood lineage and their money. Once Voldemort started treating them like **** after Lucius screwed up two of his operations - they were less enthusiastic about the cause. They resented giving up their house as headquarters and Narcissa wasn't prepared to give up her only son on Voldemorts command. On the other hand - they still remained selfish and nasty people and Draco didn't think twice of joining the Death Eaters at Hogwarts and going after Harry yet again.
I don't really understand why JKR let them off so easily. Everyone got what they deserved in the end, and even some of the "good ones" suffered losses and casualties (Lupin, Tonks, Weasley Twins) - but the Malfoy family walked scot free. Why the reprieve? Lucius opened the chamber of secrets, Narcissa brought about the death of Sirius, Malfoy committed endless harmful acts (remember the inquisitorial squad?) and in the end went both after Dumbledore's life and Harry's. The only redeeming act was Narcissa lying to Voldemort about Harry being dead, but she only did this to save her son. If it wasn't for that she'd give Harry up in a second.

So does anyone have an idea why the Malfoys enjoyed a happy ending (in a way)?

Old June 17th, 2009, 4:46 pm
Always Indy's Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrhino View Post
So does anyone have an idea why the Malfoys enjoyed a happy ending (in a way)?
I think the Malfoys lost something that was very, very important to them. Power. That would not have made Lucius very happy.

Redemption as we saw with Snape I think was not for the Malfoys. They were safe, that is they escaped Azkaban, but happy? I don't think that would come for some time to them. They lost social standing, power and respect in a big way.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Old June 17th, 2009, 10:07 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Evil is made, not born.

Just like Voldemort. He was born a normal boy, but when he found out that his dad had ditched his mother, it changed everything
Fair point he was a bit of a kleptomaniac who liked killing bunnies and scaring other children this doesn't necessarilly mean he was evil, later circumstances brought the evil out of him. JK implies that this possibility is in every one of her characters.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak