Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Wand

Dumbledore 19 years later

Old September 7th, 2008, 1:06 am
First Year

Dumbledore 19 years later

just wondering...do you think dumbledore and harry kept touch after the hogwarts battle? dyou he ver spoke or even saw his children as they entered the headmasters study for some reason? or did it all end there..any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2008, 2:31 am
Qvack...

Re: Dumbledore 19 years later

I think it ended right there. I don't think there was any further communication, because it would have been Dumbledore's job to aid the Headmaster of Hogwarts School, and not Harry. I like to think that they finished their business and that each moved in their own separate directions, further into life, or into death.

THE DUCK.

Old September 7th, 2008, 1:25 pm
Malum Veneficus

Between Harry and Dumbledore I'm sure there was nothing more, each one minding his own -as you said- life or death. As for Harry's children going to the head master's office, there might've been those little comments portraites usually do.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old September 7th, 2008, 3:24 pm
Second Year

I think it ended right there on the last page of the book before 19 Years later.
There would be no real point to visiting the Headmaster/Headmistresses office just to talk to Dumbledore's portrait because Harry doesn't need advice anymore.

"Oh, very good," interrupted Snape, his lip curling. "Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent.'"
Old September 7th, 2008, 4:05 pm
Qvack...

Ooh, I like the idea that the portrait would have made some remark, even though the children wouldn't have known him as such. And imagine the Severus Snape portrait when Albus Severus walked in... Hmm.

I like to think though, that with business concluded, everybody moved on to live out their lives and that Dumbledore's contribution was never forgotten, but also not really brought up in the general sense, unless by Harry and Ginny and the others, sitting around some night chatting.

THE DUCK.

Old September 7th, 2008, 8:13 pm
Assistant to Mrs. Weasley

I agree with other people in that it ended pretty much on the last page of DH. Of course, I'm sure that who ever became headmaster would tell Dumbldore about Harry nad Ginny having kids, and if there were ever anything majorly important, that Harry needed to tell Dumbleodre he'd talk to him but I think that most communication ended.

Last edited by RIPFRED; September 17th, 2008 at 3:31 am. Reason: Mispelled much.
Old September 12th, 2008, 2:07 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
Ooh, I like the idea that the portrait would have made some remark, even though the children wouldn't have known him as such. And imagine the Severus Snape portrait when Albus Severus walked in... Hmm.
Did Snape have a portrait? Well if so I think he'll just ignore Harry's children just as he used to ignore Harry. What I understand from the "Prince's Tale" chapter is that Snape did everything for Lily, not Harry nor James, all these sacrifices were for Lily, so whatever Harry calls his children will never matter with Snape IMHO.
Quote:
I like to think though, that with business concluded, everybody moved on to live out their lives and that Dumbledore's contribution was never forgotten, but also not really brought up in the general sense, unless by Harry and Ginny and the others, sitting around some night chatting.
Yes, I completely agree.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old September 12th, 2008, 3:37 pm
I want to believe

I have a feeling that Dumbledore's portrait probably won't talk directly to Harry, but I do imagine that he would be very interested in knowing the details of Harry's life, and hearing about his kids and such. I'm sure he'd listen carefully to whatever the new Headmaster said about Harry or his children.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 12th, 2008, 3:58 pm
Always Indy's Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
I have a feeling that Dumbledore's portrait probably won't talk directly to Harry.
May I ask why you feel so?

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Old September 12th, 2008, 4:05 pm
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
May I ask why you feel so?
Well, I figured that Harry would be busy with his job as an Auror, and wouldn't really get the opportunity to visit Dumbledore's portrait. And since it's very unlikely that he'd be teaching at Hogwarts in the future, I figured he just wouldn't be around Hogwarts to speak directly with Dumbledore's portrait. Of course, if Harry did visit Hogwarts, I do feel that he would stop by and see Dumbledore - I just didn't think this would be all that often.

Though I wonder if Dumbledore would have more than one portrait. If so, then perhaps Harry would get a chance to talk to Dumbledore face to face more often.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 12th, 2008, 4:13 pm
Always Indy's Girl

Oh! When you said
Quote:
Dumbledore's portrait probably won't talk directly to Harry
I smelt a theory like Harry would be angry or bitter or something like that. I agree with you Harry would be busy, but I would like to think that he'd create some time to meet with Dumbeldore once in a while.

Though if Dumbledore had more than one portrait and one which hung in Harry's home or in his office then they would meet more often; with Dumbledore giving Harry good advice, twinkling all the time.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Old September 12th, 2008, 4:18 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93
Did Snape have a portrait?
Not immediately after his death, but:
JKR, Bloomsbury Chat, July 30, 2007Laura Trego: Was the absence of snapes portrait in the headmasters office in the last scene innocent or deliberate
J.K. Rowling: It was deliberate. Snape had effectively abandoned his post before dying, so he had not merited inclusion in these august circles.
J.K. Rowling: However, I like to think that Harry would be instrumental in ensuring that Snape's portrait would appear there in due course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan
I'm sure he'd listen carefully to whatever the new Headmaster said about Harry or his children.
Unless the new headmaster is just as biased as Snape was towards Harry. However, I agree. I believe Dumbledore would be extremely interested in Harry's life, probably catching snippets about him in the Daily Prophet, as well as his children. I am certain that James, at least, would be taken to the Headmaster's Office during his career at Hogwarts, and Dumbledore would be awake and questioning on those occasions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan
Though I wonder if Dumbledore would have more than one portrait. If so, then perhaps Harry would get a chance to talk to Dumbledore face to face more often.
This is what I believe. It seems highly unlikely that the most intelligent, contributing wizard of the twentieth century would not have two portraits. He was Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards, Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, and received an Order of Merlin, First Class for his discovery of the uses of dragon's blood. This, I believe, warrants Dumbledore's presence in the Ministry, at least, which implies that Harry could speak to him every so often.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old September 12th, 2008, 4:35 pm
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
This is what I believe. It seems highly unlikely that the most intelligent, contributing wizard of the twentieth century would not have two portraits. He was Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards, Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, and received an Order of Merlin, First Class for his discovery of the uses of dragon's blood. This, I believe, warrants Dumbledore's presence in the Ministry, at least, which implies that Harry could speak to him every so often.
Though I agree with some of this, I have to say that I can't see Harry having a pointed talk with Dumbledore at the Ministry, or indeed, any inclination to go to Dumbledore for advice in a disconcerting situation. Isn't it said that Harry returns to Hogwarts every now and again to talk to the students? So in this event, I find it likely that the portrait at Hogwarts might have spoken to him, on a purely surface note, but I can't see them conversing about old times or anything.

THE DUCK.

Old September 13th, 2008, 4:44 pm
Third Year

You know at first - before I read any comments in this thread - I was inclined to think Harry would visit Dumbledore's portrait frequently and ask him lots of questions about his life etc.

Though, now, after hearing what y'all have said, I'm inclinded to agree with you.

I imagine if Harry popped into Hogwarts, he'd go say 'hello' to Dumbledore - tell him how the family are etc. just like he would with anyone else at Hogwarts (Hagrid, Professor McGonagall, Neville etc.). But I don't see Harry going out of his way to talk to the headmaster or ask for advice.

Please check out my new fanfic - Regrets and feedback.

Come Join Obliviate Forums

~* Proud Slytherin *~

Old October 6th, 2008, 4:58 am
First Year

As much as I would love to imagine Harry popping in to have cheery little chats with the Dumbledore portrait, I have to agree with the majority here and say that there wouldn't really be more communication after that point. Although I would love to sit in on a conversation between Dumbledore and James when he's sent to the headmaster's office.

Cheers,
Jen

Old October 6th, 2008, 10:28 pm
Sixth Year

Hmmmm, maybe just once or twice. If I knew I could talk to someone I cared about very much, I think I probably would. So I bet Harry would too.

“These are dark times, there is no denying. Our world has perhaps faced no greater threat than it does today. But I say this, to our citizenry: WE, ever your servants, will continue to defend your liberty and repel the forces that seek to take it from you! Your Ministry, remains, strong!”
Old October 6th, 2008, 10:38 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
Did Snape have a portrait? Well if so I think he'll just ignore Harry's children just as he used to ignore Harry. What I understand from the "Prince's Tale" chapter is that Snape did everything for Lily, not Harry nor James, all these sacrifices were for Lily, so whatever Harry calls his children will never matter with Snape IMHO.
I think Snape would immediately dislike James, but perhaps be fond of Albus Severus (who inherited his name), especially if Albus ends up in Slytherin. I also think he might be fond of Lily if she reminds him of Harry's mother while at Hogwarts.

I think Harry, had he wanted to talk to Dumbledore, wouldn't be told off by the present Hogwarts Headmaster. You never know what sort of magical artifact he may have come by to request Dumbledore's assistance.

Last edited by Greeney; October 6th, 2008 at 10:41 pm.
Old October 7th, 2008, 12:06 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilFrog View Post
As much as I would love to imagine Harry popping in to have cheery little chats with the Dumbledore portrait, I have to agree with the majority here and say that there wouldn't really be more communication after that point. Although I would love to sit in on a conversation between Dumbledore and James when he's sent to the headmaster's office.

Cheers,
Jen
Yeah, well, just the way it works.

I can totally see James II sneaking in the the office and trying to steal something and getting caught by DD's portrait though

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies." ~ Mother Teresa

ř ѕ t - ι и - t ι м є...

Old October 7th, 2008, 1:00 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglestreasure View Post
Yeah, well, just the way it works.

I can totally see James II sneaking in the the office and trying to steal something and getting caught by DD's portrait though
Wow, that would indeed be an interesting scenario...

Somebody who is more literarily (is that the right word?) talented than I should write the scene! That would rock my world, to the power of ten.

Cheers,
Jen

Old October 7th, 2008, 1:04 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilFrog View Post
Wow, that would indeed be an interesting scenario...

Somebody who is more literarily (is that the right word?) talented than I should write the scene! That would rock my world, to the power of ten.

Cheers,
Jen
I WOULD, but I'm not "literarily" (?) talented, so...

The most I've managed to do: open a signature switch thread.

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies." ~ Mother Teresa

ř ѕ t - ι и - t ι м є...

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Wand