Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Regulus Black and Albus Dumbledore

Old November 13th, 2013, 2:24 am
Sixth Year

Re: Regulus Black and Albus Dumbledore

Kind of strange that Regulus would believe so much in killing half-bloods and muggleborns, yet he had so much compassion and loyalty towards a House Elf who would be considered even lower then either of those Wizard types.

Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2013, 2:03 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic View Post
Kind of strange that Regulus would believe so much in killing half-bloods and muggleborns, yet he had so much compassion and loyalty towards a House Elf who would be considered even lower then either of those Wizard types.
Maybe he thought half-bloods and muggleborns were lower than houseelves. Also, he probably grew up with Kreacher so he might have not realized how attached he was to him until Voldemort tried to kill him.

Old December 3rd, 2013, 6:06 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
The Blacks weren't Voldemort supporters once they realized how much he wanted power. Regulus was also affected by Voldemort's treatment of Kreacher. As far as I remember, no-one knew that Voldemort had a horcrux other than perhaps Bellatrix, who was a fanatic.
Where are we told that the Blacks withdrew support from Voldemort over his megalomania? Not challenging you at all; I simply don't remember reading this bit of information. If you will point me to volume and chapter I will pull a book off the shelf and read when I get home tonight!

"You don't ever have to feel guilty about removing toxic people from your life. It doesn't matter whether someone is a relative, romantic interest, employer, childhood friend, or a new acquaintance--You don't have to make room for people who cause you pain or make you feel small. It's one thing if a person owns up to their behavior and makes an effort to change. But if a person disregards your feelings, ignores your boundaries, and *continues* to treat you in a harmful way, they need to go."
~Danielle Koepke~
~~~ ~~~
Old December 3rd, 2013, 6:34 pm
Sixth Year

OoTP - Chapter 6 (The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black)

It comes up when Sirius speaks to Harry about Regulus.

Old December 3rd, 2013, 8:24 pm
Fifth Year

I thought that only mentioned how Regulus himself wanted out. I'll have to re-read!

Thanks, wolfbrother, for giving me an excuse to do so.

"You don't ever have to feel guilty about removing toxic people from your life. It doesn't matter whether someone is a relative, romantic interest, employer, childhood friend, or a new acquaintance--You don't have to make room for people who cause you pain or make you feel small. It's one thing if a person owns up to their behavior and makes an effort to change. But if a person disregards your feelings, ignores your boundaries, and *continues* to treat you in a harmful way, they need to go."
~Danielle Koepke~
~~~ ~~~
Old February 12th, 2014, 2:19 pm
Always Indy's Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegulusBlackFan View Post
Regulus and Dumbledore are the only known people to independently discover that Voldemort created horcruxes; the trio were told. They seem to have other similarities as well:
*They both have crises in their families; Regulus Black experiences Sirius's (his brother's) betrayal and subsequent hysteria created in his family. Dumbledore sees his sister get killed (possibly by him) as well as a fallout with his brother and his father gets put in Azkaban.
*They both are people who have moral transformations after loved ones are killed; Regulus Black after Kreacher is harmed and Dumbledore after Ariana is killed.
*Their views prior to their transformations are that of muggle dominance over muggles. Despite this they both are close with beings that are not even human. They are both disgusted of Voldemort's treatment of what he sees as 'inferior' beings
*They both lead their own resistance movements against Voldemort (even though Regulus's one consists of only him and his elf)
*They are offcourse both clever enough to find out that Voldemort has created horcruxes when nobody else seems to have come to that conclusion.
*Dumbledore also comments that very intelligent wizards could not see through Tom Riddle and yet Regulus does, perhaps making his intelligence somewhat comparable to Dumbledore's
*They both decide to restrict their knowledge about Voldemor'ts horcruxes very tightly (In Regulus's case, he lets the secret die with him)
*They both plan their inevitable deaths; Regulus Black tells Kreacher to leave the cave without him and Dumbledore arranges his death with Snape
*Their deaths both come about after penetrating the cave and drinking the potion.
*The are accompanied into the cave by people/house elves close to them. Both kreacher and Harry were adamant in trying to persuade them not to drink the potion but Regulus and Dumbledore were not swayed and they sacrificed themselves.
* Coincidentally, Kreacher and Harry who accompanied Regulus and Dumbledore respectively to the cave became house elf and master, respectively.
*Neither of them learned about each other's exploits

Any comments or further discussion?
Very interesting. Though I guess they differed in one way. Regulus Black wanted his family's approval; it took Voldemort's horcrux to get him to see his mistake. Dumbledore on the other hand probably did not want the approval or responsibility of his family once his mother died. In that Regulus comes off as more innocent of the two, even though he joined the death eaters.

It took Ariana's death for Dumbledore to realize how far he had fallen, even then until the very end, the concept of Greater Good was something he followed, only in benign manner. Regulus on the other hand never thought of the wider world, he was content in following his family.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone