Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Albus S. Potter - Slytherin or Gryffindor?

Old July 24th, 2007, 8:11 pm
First Year

Re: Albus Severus Potter?

Although I doubt any additional writings about the HP world will have the ability to properly follow up on such a great finish to the series, I would still read them just to extend the wonderful world a little more. It really is sad that we won't be reading any more new material on the adventures of Harry and his friends.

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 8:12 pm
Sirius' Girl

originally posted by Kimagine:
Quote:
She must have noticed it: JKR gave Harry's son, Albus, the initials ASP -- a venomous snake. Given his concern about Slytherin house, does this suggest something?
thanks

Old July 24th, 2007, 8:19 pm
First Year

Re: Albus Severus Potter

Was I the only one who was shocked to find out that none of the kids were named Fred? I'm just going to have to assume that if George of any of the other Weasleys had children one was named Fred.

Old July 24th, 2007, 8:23 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermione Snape View Post
So, Albus Severus Potter was scared of going into Slytherin because he didn't want to displease his family. I happen to think that he will be in Slytherin.

Albus Severus Potter initials spell ASP, which is a type of snake; personally, I'd love it if he did and become best friends with Scorpius.

What do you think?
I absolutely loved Albus' names. But, I agree. Him becoming friends with Scorpius would have been perfect. What I would have loved to have seen is Rosie(Ron & Hermion's daughter) marry him.

Old July 24th, 2007, 8:26 pm
First Year

I think that maybe he will end up in Slytherin and it will show that even some Slytherins can be good. And i think the other two children will end up in Gryffindor wich may meen that Albus will be picked on a little bit

Old July 24th, 2007, 8:34 pm
Second Year

Wow, that ASP stuff is brilliant.

I personally hope she doesn't write another HP storybook. If it's some background information or just other stuff she couldn't fit in, even like having one of her notebooks published :P that would be good for me because people would still go crazy about it and we can still have HP in our lives. But I really just hope she would write something else that's awesome...

Old July 24th, 2007, 8:40 pm
Fifth Year

I feel compelled to comment on the horror I experienced as I read this poor child's name. As much as I love Dumbles, I think "Albus" is a truly terrible name that I'm simply unable to associate with anyone under the age of 95. The endearment "Al" is...well...say it out loud. Al Potter. Alas, Jo, how could you forget Sirius in the naming of Harry's brood! I can only hope that James Potter II's middle name is Sirius. Or Frederick.

Old July 24th, 2007, 9:08 pm
Second Year

I dunno, I think that Albus Potter might make a good character for the book. I mean, I don't want her to write a whole series about him or anything, but a couple of more books (maybe a trilogy) about Al and his siblings might be fun to read. You wouldn't have to have a new Dark Lord or anything like that, there could just be some big mystery for them to solve, something the Founders of Hogwarts or something. It'd be different enough to be good, I think.

Old July 24th, 2007, 9:35 pm
Secret Keeper

there were two different great dark wizards in this book, Grindelwald and voldemort, but I'm not sure I want a book about Albus Severus Potter.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old July 24th, 2007, 9:40 pm
Second Year

Asp...asp..asp. I seriously doubt she intended to do that. But who knows? If he is sorted there, Slytherin can influence people.. Just look at Snape. If he had been sorted into Gryffindor, think of how different the series would be.

Interesting.

<3
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:26 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Meh, I'm still so attached to the characters we've grown to love (and hate) that I'd have a hard time moving on to the next generation. I'd probably give it a try but it'd be pretty difficult...

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:34 pm
First Year

I might want to see a book, but I was kinda mad about the name. Where is Sirius. I mean the man gave his life for Harry at least give him a middle name if not a first.

Old July 24th, 2007, 10:35 pm
First Year

Someone posted a theory in the comments on MuggleNet that caught my attention: if Lily and James died in 1981, that would place the pre-epilogue ending of DH in mid-1998. Therefore, the epilogue takes place in September 2017. Jo once said something like "maybe in ten years I'll come back and write some more." I'm just wondering if it's a coincidence that the story ends 10 years after the book came out in real life - a little far-fetched, I know, but there's a reason for most of the little details she writes, and I can't help thinking there's a reason why she specifically picked 19 years as the time gap between the ending chapter and the epilogue.

Old July 24th, 2007, 10:35 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainpash View Post
I might want to see a book, but I was kinda mad about the name. Where is Sirius. I mean the man gave his life for Harry at least give him a middle name if not a first.
Pretty sure James is called James Sirius Potter.

And Lily is probably Lily Fred/Molly Potter.

I don't really think Sirius, even how much Harry respects him, would want to be in the same name as Severus Snape.

James/Sirius is way more compatible.

Do you see what happens when the trio spoils Book 7 to Voldemort? They get beat up, thrown into a super secret portal with a house-elf and have to wear funny clothes. Don't let this happen to you.
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:56 pm
Secret Keeper

Albus Severus Potter is a ridiculous name, and after two gryffindors and a slytherin, but I still think he will be in Gryffindor, because of his Weasley/Potter connection. But I don't really care, the Slytherins arent all bad

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old July 24th, 2007, 11:02 pm
First Year

Re: Albus Severus Potter: Character Analysis

I think it would be an interesting idea if Albus went into slytherin and instead of following the same mold of most slytherins, became a great headmaster like Dumbledore.

Old July 24th, 2007, 11:12 pm
Third Year

It's certainly possible that Albus will go into Slytherin, but I don't think so, personally. Also, I really don't think the Houses will be as emphasized (even Slytherin) because the War made them all really join together and whatnot and I think that could pass down the generation.

From the little we know about the Potter children, Albus struck me as being my favourite - but I'm not sure why, exactly

He was the bravest man Harry knew. ~Long Live Severus Snape~
Old July 24th, 2007, 11:16 pm
Sixth Year

Even though Albus' initials are ASP, I don't think JK Rowling meant to imply that he would be in Slytherin. I think Albus worrying about going into Slytherin shows how much he is like Harry, which might mean that he would "do well" in Slytherin like Harry would have, but he would choose Gryffindor in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollonius
Someone posted a theory in the comments on MuggleNet that caught my attention: if Lily and James died in 1981, that would place the pre-epilogue ending of DH in mid-1998. Therefore, the epilogue takes place in September 2017. Jo once said something like "maybe in ten years I'll come back and write some more." I'm just wondering if it's a coincidence that the story ends 10 years after the book came out in real life - a little far-fetched, I know, but there's a reason for most of the little details she writes, and I can't help thinking there's a reason why she specifically picked 19 years as the time gap between the ending chapter and the epilogue.
Hehe, we can sure dream that it isn't a coincidence, can't we.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old July 24th, 2007, 11:28 pm
Fourth Year

How about Brian Severus? lol. (Use DDs middle name)

The name Albus just makes me think of a kid with a white beard for some reason. lol

Old July 25th, 2007, 12:09 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirena View Post
I still can't believe that Harry named his son after Snape. I mean, ok, it turned out that Snape was on the good side, and in love with Lily, but still. So many years he treated Harry like scum, has been unfair to him, and let's face it, no matter all the regret he felt, he still WAS the one who told Voldemort about the prophecy, and the reason Harry's parents are dead. Did Harry really forget it all, excuse everything Snape did to him? I don't know, but I thought that was a bit bizzare.

I quite like little Al though. He seems much like Harry in character, just as James seems like James, and Lily as Ginny. I really wish JKR would write a story about them. It doesn't have to be the series, and it doesn't have to be dark, just a few little short stories about their everyday life, to see how they interact, where they live, what Harry and Ginny do etc..
That's the way I feel too. After reading the end of the book, I couldn't help but feel very sympathetic toward Snape, but when I stopped to think about it later, I realized that there was no reason to love Snape. It did turn out that he remained on the good side the whole time and sacrificed a lot for Dumbledore and the Order and Harry, but saying that he's the bravest man he knew is taking it a little far. Harry seems to have entirely forgotten the six years he spent with Snape and their mutual loathing and everything Snape's done to him.

James and Sirius would be extremely upset if they knew that Harry had named one of his sons after Snivellus. He has not yet named any of his children after Sirius, Remus, or Fred (if Ginny miraculously got a say in naming her kids) all worthy men. I think it was a waste to give up on such a worthy feud/rivalry. I think Snape was the one who decided to extend his loathing to Harry. I think it was not a wise choice to name his son after Snape and say he was the bravest man he ever knew (which I vehemently dispute) unless he is implying that Snape was a better man than James or Sirius. Now I know that James and Sirius weren't perfect, but placing Snape above them is a great dishonor to their memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart View Post
Pretty sure James is called James Sirius Potter.
As for James II's middle name being Sirius, that makes a lot of sense, especially as we've heard the names James and Sirius together for so long that it sounds good, and I wouldn't want to be named Sirius as a first name, personally.

Quote:
How about Brian Severus? lol. (Use DDs middle name)
Well, Brian isn't Dumbledore's middle name, it's his second-to-last name. Dumbledore's middle name is Wulfric, and Albus is at least ten times better than Wulfric. Now I could see Percival working, since it's Dumbledore's second name and Percy's first name. He could be named after two people with only one name.

Last edited by ForeverMonday; July 25th, 2007 at 12:24 am.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References