Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Questions about the Harry Potter Movies

Old April 6th, 2006, 7:00 am
Second Year

Re: Questions about the Harry Potter Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotsiepots
I believe it's an entirely different character. Besides, the original Professor Flitwick was far too gobliny. Even JKR was surprised by his appearance!
I agree that the original Flitwick was far too gobliny, but Warwick Davis is credited for, and has appeared in all four Harry Potter movies. In the first two, and the fourth, he is credited as Professor {Filius} Flitwick. In the third film, he is simply credited as 'Wizard'. Here is a link to his fansite warwickdavis.co.uk, with pictures of him in both the original Professor Flitwick costume, and as Professor Flitwick without the costume, which we first see as the 'Wizard' in Prisoner of Azkaban;
Other pictures on that page include him in costume as the bank teller, and other well known characters he has portrayed, i.e. Wicket, Willow, the Leprechaun, and Wald [friend of Anakin's] from Episode 1.

Also, here is one of the FAQs from his site, regarding the original costume:
How long did your make-up for 'Harry Potter' take?

The prosthetic make-up for 'Professor Flitwick' took two make-up artists about four hours to apply. It is made up of five 'silicone' face pieces, and five hair pieces. The 'Goblin Bank Teller' make-up also took about four hours. For this character [goblin teller] I also wore very large contact lenses and dentures.
--------
Four hours? Wow. Maybe this was a factor in dropping the costume?

~~REMUS JOHN LUPIN~~
Scored Outstanding on my W.O.M.B.A.T.
Harry Potter IQ Test
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2006, 9:49 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfLupin
--------
Four hours? Wow. Maybe this was a factor in dropping the costume?
I dont know, it definately played a part, but maybe Jo mentioned that Flitwick had been interpreted wrong in the first 2 films. Robbie Coltrane who plays Hagrid has said on numerous occasions how horrible it is to wear make-up and costume. The actors who are in heavy makeup have to come to work so much earlier because it takes so long to do. Its hot and uncomfortable and some people get a rash from the glue.

Last edited by gualsa; April 6th, 2006 at 11:01 pm.
Old April 6th, 2006, 11:21 am
McMugwump Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfLupin
I agree that the original Flitwick was far too gobliny, but Warwick Davis is credited for, and has appeared in all four Harry Potter movies.
I'm not disputing that. Davis has appeared as Flitwick twice and as this new character twice.

Lunch was six dollars and thirty-one cents at the Lamplighter Inn, that's on Highway Two near Lewis Fork.
That was a tuna fish sandwich on whole wheat, slice of cherry pie, and a cup of coffee.
Damn good food. Diane, if you ever get up this way that cherry pie is worth a stop.

Old April 6th, 2006, 1:57 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotsiepots
I believe it's an entirely different character. Besides, the original Professor Flitwick was far too gobliny. Even JKR was surprised by his appearance!
But I think she was surprised of his goblinish looks because she had imagined him with goblin ancestors. So I interpretated it as an positive surprising.

Madame ScoopsJKR envisions Flitwick as "a very small old man;" she was surprised that he looked so goblin-ish in the movies. He does have a "a dash of goblin ancestry
http://www.madamscoop.org/themes/otherprofs.htm

Anyway, in the books, Flitwick has white hair, is short and old. I personally prefer the first Flitwick.

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old April 6th, 2006, 8:22 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by guad
But I think she was surprised of his goblinish looks because she had imagined him with goblin ancestors. So I interpretated it as an positive surprising.
Her exact words were "taken aback", which doesn't sound positive to me:

I must admit, I was taken aback when I saw the film Flitwick, who looks very much like a goblin/elf (I’ve never actually asked the filmmakers precisely what he is), because the Flitwick in my imagination simply looks like a very small old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guad
Anyway, in the books, Flitwick has white hair, is short and old. I personally prefer the first Flitwick.
And I prefer the second.

But it certainly isn't worth arguing over.

The film is better than the book #1: Brokeback Mountain

If it's a good movie, the sound could go off and the audience
would still have a perfectly clear idea of what was going on.

Alfred Hitchcock
Old April 6th, 2006, 9:44 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen_Beruth

I must admit, I was taken aback when I saw the film Flitwick, who looks very much like a goblin/elf (I’ve never actually asked the filmmakers precisely what he is), because the Flitwick in my imagination simply looks like a very small old man.
Thanks for the exact quote. I had only seen the madame scoops reference.
Quote:
And I prefer the second.

Very right. It is a taste question I believe

Old April 6th, 2006, 9:53 pm
Third Year

Quote:

And I prefer the second.

Isn't the second Flitwick played by the same guy who played the first Flitwick, just with less (I assume) cosmetic enhancement? And isn't he also the same guy who played the Goblin in SS to whom Hagrid spoke about Harry's first withdrawal from Gringott's and the package he was retrieving for Dumbledore?

EDIT...well duh! I feel rather stupid now that I've read farther back and noticed where someone had already acknowledged the fact that it was all the same actor. Please overlook my mental carelessness today. I didn't sleep well last night and it's catching up with me this afternoon.

Last edited by MrsMollywobbles; April 6th, 2006 at 10:05 pm.
Old April 7th, 2006, 4:17 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMollywobbles
Isn't the second Flitwick played by the same guy who played the first Flitwick, just with less (I assume) cosmetic enhancement? And isn't he also the same guy who played the Goblin in SS to whom Hagrid spoke about Harry's first withdrawal from Gringott's and the package he was retrieving for Dumbledore?
The actor you're thinking about, the one who plays the goblin Griphook who opened the vaults and so on, is Verne Troyer who plays mini-me in the Austin Powers films.

Old April 7th, 2006, 12:01 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMollywobbles
It's the same actor http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001116/ He has participated in quite some movies.

Old April 8th, 2006, 5:32 am
Second Year

I never understood why they decided to put a choir in Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban. It doesn't really fit in with the whole magical world, otherwise JK Rowling would have written it in, don't you think? I did find it interesting though when I put the subtitles for the song on the screen, and found that the words were mostly taken from the play Macbeth. The song appears at the start of the play, when the witches first tell the prophecy.

Old April 8th, 2006, 5:49 am
Second Year

What I don't understand is that appears in the third movie there are different followers (not Crab and Goyle but a third boy) with Malfoy in the Buckbeak scene. And I thought they stuck with the same actors for them. Im a bite confused someone explain please! ????

Old April 8th, 2006, 6:41 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by winky123
What I don't understand is that appears in the third movie there are different followers (not Crab and Goyle but a third boy) with Malfoy in the Buckbeak scene. And I thought they stuck with the same actors for them. Im a bite confused someone explain please! ????
I believe this was answered earlier, I will see if I can find the quote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwidgit
They had to replace Josh Herdman [Gregory Goyle] in some of the scenes as he was taking his A levels; they integrated the other boy---but Josh was in most of POA.

WB wouldn't halt the film for him, like they are gonna do for Daniel and Emma this summer---makes sense, he's a minor character in comparison to those two.
I checked, the other boy is named Bronson Webb, and he is credited in the film as 'Slytherin Boy'.

I believe it has been speculated that he was supposed to represent Theodore Nott, another Slytherin, who is spoken of in the books.

~~REMUS JOHN LUPIN~~
Harry Potter IQ Test
Old April 8th, 2006, 9:58 am
McMugwump Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermioneRox11
It doesn't really fit in with the whole magical world, otherwise JK Rowling would have written it in, don't you think?
JKR didn't write in the uniforms either. It's called artistic licence.

Lunch was six dollars and thirty-one cents at the Lamplighter Inn, that's on Highway Two near Lewis Fork.
That was a tuna fish sandwich on whole wheat, slice of cherry pie, and a cup of coffee.
Damn good food. Diane, if you ever get up this way that cherry pie is worth a stop.

Old April 8th, 2006, 2:55 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I like that JKR can "let it go" and actually not mind when the directors use their own artistic vision to create her books on screen. It's just the readers who are driven crazy when something differs slightly from our own personal view. And count me as one of them!

Old April 8th, 2006, 9:35 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermioneRox11
I never understood why they decided to put a choir in Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban. It doesn't really fit in with the whole magical world, otherwise JK Rowling would have written it in, don't you think?
Dumbledore says in PS (book, not film) “Ah, music, a magic beyond all we do here” so it does fit in in a way. According to Dumbledore, anyway.

70% obsessed with HP How obsessed are you?
Old April 8th, 2006, 10:33 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by winky123

I noticed this too. Crabbe is there, but your right, its another boy with him.

The only reason I can come up with is that maybe the Actor who plays Goyle (Josh Herdman) maybe was very ill for a while? As he appears in some scenes!

British by Birth, English by Grace of God.

Beefy's Harry Potter Music Videos. Please take a look! Thanks!Music Videos [
I'm Back from the Shadows!
Old April 8th, 2006, 11:12 pm
Second Year

Since I'm from Norway, I have sometimes trouble distinguishing between the various, British accents.

So I'm wondering - what dialect/accent does Mad-Eye Moody use? Is this how the actor speaks, or have they somehow chosen to let Moody speak that way?

To me, it sounds like almost everyone of the professors at Hogwarts speaks with a Scottish or Irish accent. (Perhaps except for Snape).

And while I'm at it - does the trio speak any British dialect in particular? I also find it interesting that several of the actors speak more Standard English/Received Pronunciation than what they do in "real life". (Gary Oldman is a good example of this).

And one last question - where did McGonagall 's glasses go...?

Last edited by Tabris93; April 8th, 2006 at 11:19 pm.
Old April 8th, 2006, 11:47 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris93
Since I'm from Norway, I have sometimes trouble distinguishing between the various, British accents.

So I'm wondering - what dialect/accent does Mad-Eye Moody use? Is this how the actor speaks, or have they somehow chosen to let Moody speak that way?

To me, it sounds like almost everyone of the professors at Hogwarts speaks with a Scottish or Irish accent. (Perhaps except for Snape).

And while I'm at it - does the trio speak any British dialect in particular? I also find it interesting that several of the actors speak more Standard English/Received Pronunciation than what they do in "real life". (Gary Oldman is a good example of this).

Brendan Gleeson aka Mad-Eye, is Irish, so Moody has an Irish accent in the movie. In the book? It just describes Moody's voice as a low, gravelly growl.

Michael Gambon, Dumbledore, also puts a bit of Irish into the accent he uses for the Headmaster.

~~REMUS JOHN LUPIN~~
Harry Potter IQ Test
Old April 9th, 2006, 12:24 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris93

Well, because all the actors are British (which I think is great) naturally you will get a wide range of accents.

As it has been pointed out, Gleeson is Irish, and some of this comes through in Moody. Also, I think his voice is slightly put on, as Gleeson is described as having quite a high pitched voice!

Gambon, Is Scottish, so Naturally some of this will come across in Dumbledore. Same with Maggie Smith (Minerva).

I think that the prominance of Scottish accents is quite a good thing, as Hogwarts is set in Scotland, so you would think that some of the local accent will rub off!

British by Birth, English by Grace of God.

Beefy's Harry Potter Music Videos. Please take a look! Thanks!Music Videos [
I'm Back from the Shadows!
Old April 9th, 2006, 12:36 am
Second Year

What about the young trio, though? Especially Daniel Radcliffe speaks very "Oxfordish". And like I said - Gary Oldman speaks quite differently in the HP-movies than what he does in real life, although I can't really distinguish any accent in Sirius Black's character.

Is it just me fantazising, or does Rubert Grint/Ron speak a bit more like the "common folk" (i.e. he says "meself" at least twice in the movies, something I've never heard Dan or Emma say), to let it come across that he comes from a rather poor family? Maybe Dan/Harry's rather correct way of speaking come from his upbringing? Or maybe that's just the way Dan speaks?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References