Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Pottermore v.10

Old September 16th, 2011, 9:21 pm
Second Year

Re: Pottermore v.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTung View Post
Spoiler: show

Interestingly, it depends on your machine. On my son's low-power netbook, the cauldron temperature can actually drop when using low heat. So while I use off and low heat to modulate the temperature, he has to use high and low heat to do the same.
This. When I use the orange heat, it makes the temperature drop, so generally I use red heat and off to control it. Only very occasionally will the orange heat increase my temperature.

Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2011, 10:28 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Arrow77 View Post
I'm sorry about that. I just want to know how many people are on Pottermore to be able to estimate when I will finally get my Welcome e-mail. I think it's really unfair that Pottermore is letting in so many people, not just me, so late. After all, I registered early on Day 4, so I think I should have gotten my e-mail by now if the system were fairer. Sending out e-mails completely on a first come first serve basis would have been so much better.
That's odd. I wonder if they're sending the emails out at a more random order, because I registered on day 4 as well and I got my email on Sunday. My boyfriend registered on day 5 and he has yet to get his. Ohh well, you'll get in soon enough! Honestly, I'm barely on it anymore because there's not much else you can do after you get through the first book besides potions, and I just don't have a lot of time to do those. Plus the site's always down for maintenance, so maybe you'll get lucky and everything will be working just fine when you finally get in. Hang in there!

ThestralQuill
11 1/2" Sycamore and Unicorn hair, surprisingly swishy

"The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more,
that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds."
Old September 16th, 2011, 10:35 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlycherries View Post
This. When I use the orange heat, it makes the temperature drop, so generally I use red heat and off to control it. Only very occasionally will the orange heat increase my temperature.
I noticed that the faster the machine the easier time I have. On the slower machines it is very easy to make mistakes.

I also noticed it is very difficult to handle the bottles on the slower machines. They swing around and are generally out of control. On the faster machine they are not nearly as troublesome to work with.

Old September 16th, 2011, 11:26 pm
First Year

Quote:

Interestingly, it depends on your machine. On my son's low-power netbook, the cauldron temperature can actually drop when using low heat. So while I use off and low heat to modulate the temperature, he has to use high and low heat to do the same.
Quote:
Wow! This is really interesting... I use off and low heat as well because high heat is just too much. I only use that when I have to get the temp to the top range of the gauge and then I back off using off and low. Low heat always increases in temp for me, so I am always turning it off and on to keep the temp within range.

U/N: MarauderIce39
House: Gryffindor
Wand: Cypress, Unicorn Hair Core, 12 1/4 in, Hard

Found the Magical Quill on Day 3, got Beta access on 9/6/11
Old September 16th, 2011, 11:30 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarauderIce39 View Post
Wow! This is really interesting... I use off and low heat as well because high heat is just too much. I only use that when I have to get the temp to the top range of the gauge and then I back off using off and low. Low heat always increases in temp for me, so I am always turning it off and on to keep the temp within range.
It is exactly the same way on my laptop. That is so interesting about the machine making a difference. I think it also makes a difference if you have other processes running in the background.

Wand is 10 inches, Laurel with Unicorn Hair, hard
Magic Quill first day; welcome letter Aug. 25
Old September 16th, 2011, 11:33 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicornDust View Post
It is exactly the same way on my laptop. That is so interesting about the machine making a difference. I think it also makes a difference if you have other processes running in the background.
If you look at the Pottermetrics subthread (search for "Pottermetrics" in "Search this thread"), my most recent post there described a short series of trials in which creating extra Flash animation load caused the cauldron to slow down its rate of heating.

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat
Old September 16th, 2011, 11:36 pm
First Year

Quote:
If you look at the Pottermetrics subthread (search for "Pottermetrics" in "Search this thread"), my most recent post there described a short series of trials in which creating extra Flash animation load caused the cauldron to slow down its rate of heating.
Yes, I read that
and tried it. I started sometimes purposely spilling a bottle so that I could control the heat easier. Then I read somewhere that someone blew a cauldron from spilling a bottle and not picking it up, so I stopped doing that. However, I don't know if that person was correct about what made their cauldron explode.

Old September 17th, 2011, 2:39 am
I want to believe

Quote:
I started sometimes purposely spilling a bottle so that I could control the heat easier. Then I read somewhere that someone blew a cauldron from spilling a bottle and not picking it up, so I stopped doing that. However, I don't know if that person was correct about what made their cauldron explode.
I accidentally dropped one of the Valerian sprigs on the counter one time when doing the Sleeping Draught, and it failed me. It told me I put the Valerian sprigs in the wrong container. So it does look like being messy can fail you. And that happened after I'd waited the 100 minutes.

Regarding the heating, I've been able to get by fine with using the red button to heat up quickly, and then using the orange and off buttons to modulate the temperature.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 17th, 2011, 3:53 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
I accidentally dropped one of the Valerian sprigs on the counter one time when doing the Sleeping Draught, and it failed me. It told me I put the Valerian sprigs in the wrong container. So it does look like being messy can fail you. And that happened after I'd waited the 100 minutes.
Interesting. I dropped an entire bottle of mistletoe berries on the counter once after I'd gotten the proper measurement inside the cauldron, but I completed the potion and got the points. And when I say dropped, I mean, that the bottle was lying on its side while I finished the potion.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old September 17th, 2011, 4:10 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post

Regarding the heating, I've been able to get by fine with using the red button to heat up quickly, and then using the orange and off buttons to modulate the temperature.
This same thing happened to me, so I've been careful and it hasn't happened since

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old September 17th, 2011, 4:52 am
Fifth Year

Potions...

I was finishing up Herbicide and dropped the Flobberworm mucus. I was running out of time, so instead of picking it up and setting it upright, I waved my wand, and exploded the cauldron. So apparently Neatness Counts.

Staunch Defender of Severus Snape
Proud Member of House Slytherin

LightMahogany27 -- Slytherin
Redwood wand with unicorn hair core
10 3/4 inches, unyielding

Check out my fanfiction, in collaboration with Sinistra_Furze: A Trip To Remember

Snape lives IMHO
Old September 17th, 2011, 6:27 am
Fifth Year

That's so odd: I've actually let bottles remain on their side and completed the potion with no problem. I've "failed" potions because I went through the steps too quickly and although even the counter registered the correct number of ingredients, I guess I didn't wait long enough for them to "take."

This seems to happen the most with the Sleeping Draught and lavender. I find that I have to wait a few seconds between dropping the lavender into the mortar and then wait again before I add the standard ingredient. I then have to grind the mixture well past the minimum line on the mortar or else it tells me I've added lavender to the wrong place

Ravenclaw on COS
Slytherin on Pottermore:
Yeah, that's about right!
HawthornAsphodel133
Old September 17th, 2011, 12:25 pm
Splendide Mendax

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroses View Post
I think they tried to make is SO child-friendly that it is..boring.
Personally, I think they've miscalculated a bit when it comes to the average age of Pottermore users. There definitely has to be a way to conduct a proper conversation if adults are to be kept entertained - |your comment will appear soon" simply doesn't cut it.

Moderating input content is fine, but if it's taking too long there's no point in commenting (unless all they want is random "Wow! Pmore is SO cool!" quotes for the press releases ) - and it WOULD save them the effort of making more interactive content to keep the clicks going.

Unlocking additional shops in Diagon Alley would help, too. If I enter the Apothecary once more, they'll roll out the red carpet for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfan101 View Post
I've actually let bottles remain on their side and completed the potion with no problem.
Same here, though it hasn't happened recently.... perhaps it's a recent addition?

Old September 17th, 2011, 1:47 pm
Second Year

This is driving me mad. I have been trying to make the Sleeping Draught for the last few days and it NEVER works now!

I have just attempted one with the utmost care and precision. I made sure I ddin't spill ANYTHING, I waited a few seconds after adding each ingredient to make sure it registered even after the little number came up saying it had, I put every ingredient in the right place, I did everything PERFECTLY!
But still I get green fumes and "sorry, this potion was not brewed correctly because you put the standard_ingredient in the wrong container."
Give me strength! I did not! I made sure I did everything perfectly.

I feel like giving up with potions. Even when I do it right it's apparently wrong. And the brewing times are ridiculous, I don't have time to wait around for an hour and a half.

Old September 17th, 2011, 4:21 pm
First Year

Quote:
This is driving me mad. I have been trying to make the Sleeping Draught for the last few days and it NEVER works now!

I have just attempted one with the utmost care and precision. I made sure I ddin't spill ANYTHING, I waited a few seconds after adding each ingredient to make sure it registered even after the little number came up saying it had, I put every ingredient in the right place, I did everything PERFECTLY!
But still I get green fumes and "sorry, this potion was not brewed correctly because you put the standard_ingredient in the wrong container."
Give me strength! I did not! I made sure I did everything perfectly.

I feel like giving up with potions. Even when I do it right it's apparently wrong. And the brewing times are ridiculous, I don't have time to wait around for an hour and a half.
I have had the same problem as you with regard to Sleeping Draught and it saying I put something in the wrong container. I also had the problem of waiting 100 minutes only to be brought back to start over and never complete it. However, since the site came back up yesterday after being down a long time, I have made Sleeping Draught 2 times with no problems. I would recommend trying again now.

Old September 17th, 2011, 4:47 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I have had the same problem as you with regard to Sleeping Draught and it saying I put something in the wrong container. I also had the problem of waiting 100 minutes only to be brought back to start over and never complete it. However, since the site came back up yesterday after being down a long time, I have made Sleeping Draught 2 times with no problems. I would recommend trying again now.
I'll have one more go in a minute, and i'll report back. However, something else has made me fume as well now. I had just finished waiting the 95 minutes for my herbicide, and when I did the second part I accidently added 3 of the mucus instead of two. I know, my fault this time, but it makes me mad that I get nothing for it. I just wasted 95 minutes for not even one point.
They should change it so that even though you get no points if you mess up on the first part of the potion, if you mess up the SECOND part you still get a point. If you get me.

Just tried Sleeping Draught again, and no luck. Did it perfectly, but apparently I put the lavender in the wrong container this time.

Guess I can't get those 11 points then. =[

Last edited by owlycherries; September 17th, 2011 at 4:52 pm.
Old September 17th, 2011, 6:05 pm
First Year

Quote:
I'll have one more go in a minute, and i'll report back. However, something else has made me fume as well now. I had just finished waiting the 95 minutes for my herbicide, and when I did the second part I accidently added 3 of the mucus instead of two. I know, my fault this time, but it makes me mad that I get nothing for it. I just wasted 95 minutes for not even one point.
They should change it so that even though you get no points if you mess up on the first part of the potion, if you mess up the SECOND part you still get a point. If you get me.

Just tried Sleeping Draught again, and no luck. Did it perfectly, but apparently I put the lavender in the wrong container this time.

If you make a mistake like adding too much mucus, just refresh the screen, and you can start it over without a penalty.

Old September 17th, 2011, 6:18 pm
Fifth Year

Potions sure is frustrating...I'm now having problems where every potion I try takes me back to page 1 after I wait... then I have to wave the wand to "fail" the potion so I can start over. Yesterday, it was the Sleeping Draught, today it happened with the Wide-eye. I'm currently brewing Cure for Boils (grrr...ONLY 3 points)...hopefully it will work

Ravenclaw on COS
Slytherin on Pottermore:
Yeah, that's about right!
HawthornAsphodel133
Old September 17th, 2011, 6:31 pm
First Year

[/quote]

I'm so sorry, I really thought it was fixed. Also,
I totally agree that you should get at least a point for getting past the first stage properly. It is incredibly frustrating to waste so much time waiting only to fail in the end and not get anything at all. Especially when the time has run out because the site was down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfan101 View Post
Potions sure is frustrating...I'm now having problems where every potion I try takes me back to page 1 after I wait... then I have to wave the wand to "fail" the potion so I can start over. Yesterday, it was the Sleeping Draught, today it happened with the Wide-eye. I'm currently brewing Cure for Boils (grrr...ONLY 3 points)...hopefully it will work
You should
owl IronBellyDragon for a recommendation for this problem.

Last edited by UnicornDust; September 17th, 2011 at 6:38 pm.
Old September 17th, 2011, 6:36 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats View Post
If you make a mistake like adding too much mucus, just refresh the screen, and you can start it over without a penalty.
Thanks i'll try that.

I just did a Sleeping Draught again and it actually worked ... curious...

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References