Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Old September 3rd, 2018, 12:51 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Re: Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

I wonder if it's to show the effect that making him into so many horocruxes has done? Meaning his appearance changing so much.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2018, 2:46 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
I definitely count myself among those who have lost trust in her. After her defense of Depp, I returned my Cursed Child for a full refund and never looked back. I won't be seeing the FB movies either, not that anyone (and least of all Rowling) cares. I wasn't excited about FB to being with, I didn't see the appeal other than nostalgia. But after she showed her true colors in these #metoo times and after the director's ridiculous statements about how more women would have come forward had the accusations been true, I was fed up.
Yeah. I was sorely disappointed, too.

Quote:
So yeah, that casting was the last straw and when the interview about Dumbledore came out I honestly just laughed. Like what did the fans expect really? It's weird that some fans keep coming up with lame excuses like "well DD's sexuality isn't relevant to the plot". Are. you. kidding. me? The infatuation for Grindelwald is a huge part of why Dumbledore acted the way he did during his youth and why he didn't confront the man sooner. This isn't about LGBT representation, it's about not leaving out such an essential piece of information.
I know, it's a such a bitter contrast from her answering a fan question about his love life and saying he was gay - at a time before marriage equality and in the face of a sizable backlash - if you remember, even on CoS homosexuality was a banned topic because it was considered not family friendly then. And now this. It hurts when your idols let you down (JKR used to be progressive, I remember her article on taxes and social services, among other things), that's why it's best not to have any. I think the issue with Dumbledore not being explicitly gay was about money - they'd lose conservative parents in the US and possibly other parts of the world if they had a gay theme in a kids'movie. Which makes it even worse because anyone who concedes their principles for money didn't really have any in the first place, especially if they're already rich.

Last edited by Yoana; September 25th, 2018 at 2:49 pm.
Old October 7th, 2018, 5:58 am
Sixth Year

People have probably already seen this, but it seems that things have changed in the Dumbledore/Grindelwald department.

David Yates: "In that earlier interview, I didn't say Dumbledore's not gay. He is. This part of this huge narrative that Jo is creating doesn't focus on his sexuality, but we're not airbrushing or hiding it. The story [of this romantic relationship] isn't there in this particular movie, but it's clear in what you see... that he is gay. A couple of scenes we shot are very sensual moments of him and young Grindelwald."

And they've brought back the two actors who played young Dumbledore and young Grindelwald in Deathly Hallows, too.

Go check out the 3rd trailer when you get the chance. Lots of Dumbledore seeing current-day Grindelwald and seeing his younger self with young Grindelwald in there.

We have to remember not to trust anything they say. JK Rowling also said that we "shouldn't be expecting to see any characters we already know" before the first Fantastic Beasts film came out.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007

Last edited by Spirit; October 7th, 2018 at 6:01 am.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies