Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)

Which do you prefer: Studio music or Live music?

Old September 4th, 2009, 1:41 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Which do you prefer: Studio music or Live music?

Mods, I did a search and couldn't really find anything similar to this subject .

I tend to prefer music that was performed in Studio better than Live, since there are more instruments and what not involved. Don't get me wrong though -- there are some decent live performances out there, music wise. I've heard some nice Ozzy Osborne songs on Youtube live that are pretty good. But generally I like Studio stuff.

One great example of this is 'Hotel California' by the Eagles. The two versions of the song sound way different from one another.

The first one (the live version): this one sounds like some kind of Mexican siesta

The second one (the studio version): I love this version -- it sounds like a classic rock song here

So... in the end -- which kind of music do you like better and why?

What kinds of music sound better live? Or in studio?

Which kinds of music draws you in more?

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2009, 10:00 am
First Year

Re: Which do you prefer: Studio music or Live music?

Studio. Growing up with a sound engineer and musicians in every corner of my life (/brb tearing my hair out), there are some sounds, details and there are instances you can't ever recreate/or is physically impossible to do so live (i.e. Sufjan Stevens' Predatory Wasp of the Palisades is Out to Get Us! and Grizzly Bear's Southern Point), however there are things you get from live shows you can never experience by just listening to an album.

You can't really judge an artist by how good they are live/studio-wise or how they play, if their song is atrocious, not even the best audio engineers/producers/front-acts/concerts can salvage their music.

(lol I feel so serious and tl;dr XDDD)

That's why I'm talking to you.
You are one of the rare people who can
separate your observation from your preconception.
You see what is, where most people see what they expect.

Harry Potter Fanart
Old September 4th, 2009, 9:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokioRose View Post
Studio. Growing up with a sound engineer and musicians in every corner of my life (/brb tearing my hair out), there are some sounds, details and there are instances you can't ever recreate/or is physically impossible to do so live (i.e. Sufjan Stevens' Predatory Wasp of the Palisades is Out to Get Us! and Grizzly Bear's Southern Point), however there are things you get from live shows you can never experience by just listening to an album.

You can't really judge an artist by how good they are live/studio-wise or how they play, if their song is atrocious, not even the best audio engineers/producers/front-acts/concerts can salvage their music.

(lol I feel so serious and tl;dr XDDD)
Agreed there. There are some songs out there that sound atrocious both live and in studio. It really depends on how good an artist is in general.

Seconded. If the live show is good -- I went to one live show by the group Genesis... ok in studio, but that night live, they sounded horrible. It certainly didn't help that their lead singer, Phil Collins was drunk and all that. And it didn't help that the acoustics of the theater were just atrocious .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old September 4th, 2009, 9:46 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

A live show is more than just the music and depends on variables including the venue, the crowd, who you're with and how you feel.

Last major show I saw was Billy Joel and while I doubt he could put on a bad show (he's a very entertaining guy even when just chatting with the audience) Acer Arena was the worst venue I've been in, particularly when the mix crew tried to compensate for an older voice by just cranking up the volume.

As far as live albums go I'm with Paul Mac: "occasionally one will come through that sheds new light on the songs that makes it worth it. Most of the time it just feels like a slightly out-of-tune version of the album with crowd in the background going ‘aaaaaaaaaaah’."

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old September 4th, 2009, 11:36 pm
Third Year

I've always liked live performances, the sound of that raw guitar being played, etc. Some bands really sounded great live, like Ozzy Osborne, etc. Today you don't find as many bands that sound great live. Though they do in a studio recording.

I really don't know which I prefer more, but I think it's always better to be able to play live.

Old September 5th, 2009, 12:05 am
Second Year

Mmm, I don't know really, it depends who it is! Some people can be awful live but be good from the studio. But others can be better live.

For example:
Coldplay & Paramore - So much better live
The Hoosiers - Bad, very bad!

So I would of said, I'm in the middle

I could say 'I love you' - and I do. You're the only one I want - now and forever. The only future I want lies with you...
Take my heart with you. It follows you ... Always
I love a good romance, me

"...and to you, if you have stuck with Harry until the very end."
Old September 5th, 2009, 12:14 am
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
I've heard some nice Ozzy Osborne songs on Youtube live that are pretty good.
YouTube recordings, on the whole, though, don't really convey what it was like to be there - the sound quality of the recording is often appalling and you don't get the atmosphere.

As others have said, it depends very much on the artist, the genre, the acoustics of the venue, and how they feel on the day.

I like people who do something completely different live to what they do on their records, but some people hate that. I used to have a friend who got very upset if bands she saw live didn't play the songs exactly how they are on the album, which I could never really understand - why spend all that money seeing them live when you could just play the CD at home?

Old September 5th, 2009, 4:54 am
Registered Animagus

I don't like listening to live shows on CD but do like going to them. I've seen some truly bad live bands (Underoath) who sound good on CD but just cant cut it live. Also seen the opposite, amazing live bands (Marilyn Manson, Muse) who also sound good on CD but their live shows have far more atmosphere and feeling. A poor venue, audience turn-out or technical mishaps can change all that though.
I do like studio albums, especially if you don't have the choice of seeing/hearing the band live.

Old September 5th, 2009, 10:54 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
I like people who do something completely different live to what they do on their records, but some people hate that. I used to have a friend who got very upset if bands she saw live didn't play the songs exactly how they are on the album, which I could never really understand - why spend all that money seeing them live when you could just play the CD at home?
Haha, I agree! There are gems that are born from live shows you can't find in LPs and there are songs that sound much better performed live! It's a great treat for fans (who get too obsessive, like me XD) and for newcomers.

My favorite would have to be Sufjan's Chicago (Live @ Austin City Limits). You can hear the original song here, and both are very beautiful, despite the vast differences to the sound and the instrumentation.

That's why I'm talking to you.
You are one of the rare people who can
separate your observation from your preconception.
You see what is, where most people see what they expect.

Harry Potter Fanart

Last edited by TokioRose; September 5th, 2009 at 10:57 am.
Old September 5th, 2009, 5:04 pm
Third Year

I'v never seen a band live so I guess I couldn't really say. However, I personally enjoy and always have the studio versions. Theres so much more detail in them than a live performance couldn't do.

Old September 5th, 2009, 9:12 pm
Fourth Year

For me, live shows, while at times exciting and really worth it, force bands and musicians to contract the depth of what they play. To a certain extent, that's understandable. When you're touring live, you can't bring all the synthesizers or outlandish instruments that you use on an album, nor will you necessarily have the backing personnel necessary to play them. The logistics of doing all that would be nightmarish for most bands, anyway. That's why, for me, live versions sound a bit stripped down, and therefore, I prefer studio versions, as I think of them as being what the artist wants to hear.

Proud Member of Gryffindor
The Marauders: The Beginning of the End
Feedback

"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees the others."
--Aristotle
Old September 5th, 2009, 9:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
YouTube recordings, on the whole, though, don't really convey what it was like to be there - the sound quality of the recording is often appalling and you don't get the atmosphere.

As others have said, it depends very much on the artist, the genre, the acoustics of the venue, and how they feel on the day.

Agreed. But at least they're there . And it's better than nothing -- but in the end, actually being at a live concert adds atmosphere to it and for the most part (depending on the venue and its acoustics) the sound quality is better.

Ah I can see where you're coming from on that one. Sometimes change is good with that... it probably helps to keep the people in the band from getting bored and stuff.

Old September 5th, 2009, 9:54 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Studio music

Old September 5th, 2009, 9:56 pm
Fifth Year

I think live music is only good when you are present at the gig.
Live recordings are not great quality and have more bum notes etc. which are part of the atmosphere when you are at the gig but have little value when you are listening at home in your bedroom. So studio recordings all the way!

I am gespatchio Oh!
Old September 6th, 2009, 12:05 pm
Registered Animagus

Just adding to what I saw before, anybody can make an album and make it sound good (thanks to technology), but not everybody can cut it live. Live shows are kind of a chance for bands/artists to show off what they really can do.

Old September 6th, 2009, 9:51 pm
Second Year

So... in the end -- which kind of music do you like better and why?
I feel it depends on the band. Out of the concerts i have seen (Yes x3, Asia x2, Genesis x1, Bon Jovi x1, whoever was at Farmaid in 2006- John Mellencamp and Neil Young especially, confederate railroad x1)the only ones that i truly loved were the Yes, Asia and Genesis shows. and, it brought me into their live albums, which sound great to me.
What kinds of music sound better live? Or in studio?
In general- a concert featuring live artists should be in the open. like my previous concert (Yes/Asia at Six Flags) the sound was great. what helps is being in the fourth row too...So i would say the type of music that sounds good live to me is Prog/Classic Rock. The Eagles, Boston and Van Halen sound way better in the studio.
Which kinds of music draws you in more?
I'll be honest- I'm into Prog. It's Progressive Rock. Like Rush, Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Early Genesis....Concept albums are great, and if a band can pull it off live, then they have vote as a good band.

And they can try their hardest, cos they dont frighten me-Behind the Lines- Genesis
I'm sorry, I don't believe that Toilet Paper should have words on it.- me on Twilight
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.-George Carlin
There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.- George Carlin
I'd rather be a fan of Peter Pettigrew than a fan of Edward Cullen.-me, again on Twilight
"Live Long and Prosper."- Spock
Keep behind me. There's no sense in getting killed by a plant.- The Day of the Triffids
Old September 7th, 2009, 5:23 am
Registered Animagus

I mentioned this band in another thread. They're an Australian duo called The Veronicas. They have a very bad reputation for sounding terrible live. Live. Studio. I'm not a fan by any means but by listening to the studio version you'd think they have quite decent voices. But if you compare it to the live version... uhhh

Old September 7th, 2009, 6:33 am
Banned

It depends on the band/artist. Some sound terrible live, but amazing in the studio. Some sound great live and great in the studio. And a rare thing is when some sound better live than they do in the studio. For me, I prefer live performances, especially with great singers and bands because there's more variety with how the song is played live than there is in album versions. That's how I think of it, anyways.

Old September 8th, 2009, 12:10 am
Second Year

It really depends on the band. Some are awful live. But, for the most part, I prefer studio.

Hufflepuff
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl View Post
It depends on the band/artist. Some sound terrible live, but amazing in the studio. Some sound great live and great in the studio. And a rare thing is when some sound better live than they do in the studio. For me, I prefer live performances, especially with great singers and bands because there's more variety with how the song is played live than there is in album versions. That's how I think of it, anyways.
That's generally how I view it for the most part as well PBG. Some bands sound better live and some don't. And vice versa. It really depends on stuff.

I'm more of a studio person myself... but I've heard some decent live stuff though.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)