Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Is Dumbledore Evil? The "Look of Triumph" whats that about?

Old July 20th, 2002, 7:08 am
Professor Emeritus

Is Dumbledore Evil?

If you're discussing Harry Potter, it's the inevitable question. Is Dumbledore secretly on Voldemort's side? What about that look of triumph? Does he secretly want Harry to die?

My answer is a big fat NO. Not only no, but nuh-uh. Dumbledore is standing tall with his feet firmly placed on the side of good. He is the picture of wisdom and nobility. He has been nothing less than a father to Harry, and the idea of him supporting Voldemort is simply ludicrous.

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2002, 7:10 am
Admin Emeritus

I don't think he's evil, and I'm pretty sure he's not on Voldemort's side, though he wouldn't have to be to be evil. I lean more towards the theory that he will die in OoP. But, you know, it's possible.

Old July 20th, 2002, 7:17 am
Valerie

Hmm..I think I don't want him to be evil more than I think he is, I'm not sure, this one puzzles me. However even after saying that, my answer is NO I don't think he is evil but I am not going to completely rule it out either.

Old July 20th, 2002, 3:36 pm
Professor Emeritus

If Dumbledore is evil, then Voldemort is the kindest person in the world! It is impossible!

Old July 20th, 2002, 5:31 pm
Seventh Year

No. Definitely not. He's the epitome of powerful goodness and wisdom. Sure, it's possible, but I can't see JK doing such a twist. It would be the ultimate betrayal. Everyone trusts and admires him. Snape, Harry, Sirius, Hagrid-- the good population of the Wizarding World. I know that's not a very good reason, but it'd be too much.

Old July 20th, 2002, 5:57 pm
Sixth Year

Is Dumbledore Evil?

There are many theories regarding this; however my feel is that he's not evil. The 'triumph' thing was probably just his reaction at finding that now Voldy could be killed. I do believe he is hiding something though. What that is, who knows? But he is definetely hiding something.

However, it is possible, however remotely, that Dumbledore is playing his own game. Consider this. He knows he can't defeat Voldy (he has never tried, what more proof do you need?), so he finds a person who can (Harry), trains that person and sets them loose against Voldemort. Harry and Voldemort fight each other and die, and Dumbledore proclaims himself as an 'Emperor.' He then takes control of the wizarding world and rules it without opposition. This theory may sound crazy but check out what Albus means.

*Albus - In Latin means white (maybe for white beard). Wisdom. Or.. Governor of Britain at the death of the emperor Pertinax, Decimus Clodius Albinus (Albinus=Albus?) attempted to seize the throne but ended up as Caesar in alliance with another imperial contender, Septimius Severus. After Severus defeated two other rivals (Voldemort and... Sirius?), the now expendable Albinus was forced into another attempt at usurpation, an attempt that came to an end at the bloody battle of Lyon.*

It could be nothing, then again it could be. Dumbledore may not be evil, but he's not totally innocent either.

Old July 23rd, 2002, 3:55 pm
Third Year

I don't think Dumbledore is evil, but I do think there is something going on with him that is a little unusual. More than meets the eye, and all that. I have really been thinking lately that he's got some kind of connection with Harry's family. Don't know what it is, and when the rest of the books come out, I'll know whether I was right or wrong.

Old July 25th, 2002, 8:48 pm
Second Year

I guess I'm just the gullible little girl. I think I'd crack if Dumbledore was evil. I also think that he's hiding something, but I just can't register in my mind that he is like Voldemort. About him wanting total power and wanting to be a dictator, I don't think so. That just doesn't seems right to me. Don't ask me why, but honestly, it's Dumbledore. I do think that Dumbledore can't defeat Voldemort. That's why I think that he is preparing Harry for his bout with Voldemort (i.e. Sorcerer's Stone), but I don't think that Dumbeldore want's Harry to do it so that he can be a dictator.

Old July 25th, 2002, 8:56 pm
Steve

Dumbledore is definatly special. Not evil, but special. And he sees Harry is too. Maybe even more than he is...

Old July 25th, 2002, 9:05 pm
Fourth Year

i sometimes think that he might even be his grandfather, but we are probably going to find out about this is book 7

Old July 26th, 2002, 1:24 am
Second Year

Lews, that is really scary! :eek: JKR follows stories like that all the time, as she did with the basilisk and several other times in the past... but still, Dumbledore evil? It seems impossible to me... i'd really blow the whole thing off if the name Severus hadn't been in there. Knowing JKR, with two names from HP together in some old story, it is rarely coincidence. Still, I find it so hard to see Dumbledore as evil

Old July 26th, 2002, 1:31 am
Second Year

Hmm...I like that, Lews, except for the assumption of truncating Albinus to Albus. They are separate words in Latin, Albus meaning 'white' and Albinus meaning 'without color.' So if there is someone without color whom Snape shares power with...

That's just my take on it, I really don't think Dumbledore is evil - though I would love it if he was.

TheSortingHat

Old July 26th, 2002, 1:55 am
Third Year

If he is evil, he is definetly one sneaky rotten apple.

So...Dumby are ya? poke: are ya? poke:

He's not. He just can't be. It will be a good twist if he was though...or what would be even BETTER is if it turns out everyone is out to get Harry. Now there is something we would never see coming.

~~sat~~

Old July 27th, 2002, 1:48 pm
First Year

The possibility of an evil Dumbledor is there.
I personlay dont think that it will ever happend.
Now I have to speek on instinct about J.K. Rowling, not only facts from fiction, So it might get a bit wierd.

In book four we learnt that our loved Madd eye Moody after all was'nt what he gave him out to be. This was a person we loved.
I Think that J.K. Rowling created the kindest person for us, so we would be ven more anoyed when we found out, whats realy behind his mask.
We can easily compare Dumbledore and Moody, they are booth nice people, the care about the other people around them too, they could be like bothers.

Now when one off thees brothers betrays us, it might be hard for us to realy belive in the last one. IKs he good, or is he evil, just as the other one?
We humans have it easy to focus on bad things, and let the good things about a person glide to the side.
Dumbledore is a person containing only good things. So we hope.
But the look of triumph in his face, when he knew Voldemort had gotten Harry's Blood?
I cant think off any other reason for J.K. Rowling to put it this way, that she want our picture off Dumbledore to crackel.

This could be for many reasons.
1. She are planing to make Dumbledore an evil person, and are "preparing" us for the chok that might come around.
2. She want us to dis belive in him, make us loose faith in him, maybe he doing wierd stuff. And maybe get some how in trouble, and we belive in the evilness.
3. Or maybe. Its a good thing for Dumbledore that Voldemort has the blood off Hary, but not a good thing for Harry.

There is probably some other possible solutions for all this. But, this is view I got on the mather, and I highly doubt that Dumbledore is an evil person.

Old July 27th, 2002, 5:52 pm
Queen of Air and Darkness

No.

Old July 28th, 2002, 3:45 pm
Prefect Emeritus

Is Dumbledore evil? No, I don't think so. I think the look of triumph was about something that will end up helping 'the good guys' situation. I think it's possible Dumbledore was using the Philosopher's stone potion to stay alive long enough to fight Voldemort and see his downfall. Kind of like a last 'to do list' before he dies. Now he's aging quickly, and I don't think he'll live throughout the rest of the books. But I do think he's on the 'good' side.

Old July 28th, 2002, 6:52 pm
Professor Emeritus

Hold on just a second. Are you saying, Divi, that you believe Dumbledore used the Philosopher's Stone to make the Elixer of Life to prolong his life thus far? If so, could you please elaborate on that? On what do you base this theory?

Old July 28th, 2002, 7:13 pm
First Year

I can easy cath the theory off Divi.
Dumbledor might have gotten the stone for his own use, but why would he then destroy it if he needed it "that" urgent?
I think that the Philosopher's stone is some think off the past, and that it wont be picked up again with the first. I think, and know (yikees) that Dumbledore is as stright as a roller, got every thing at his dry.

Old July 29th, 2002, 12:58 am
Prefect Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Anne
Hold on just a second. Are you saying, Divi, that you believe Dumbledore used the Philosopher's Stone to make the Elixer of Life to prolong his life thus far? If so, could you please elaborate on that? On what do you base this theory?
I think it's possible. Maybe he was using it in order to stay alive long enough to fight Voldemort. I mean, he was one of the ones who was invloved in finding it, and no one really knows a lot about Flamel. The stone was destroyed so that it couldn't be used for bad intentions, and after that Dumbledore was described as having aged more quickly. There are many references to how much older he seems to be getting over a time span of three years. That's really not that long of a time. I think he just wanted to settle the whole Voldemort situation before he died, and that was his excuse for trying to prolong his life. I don't think he planned on living forever, just trying to add a couple of years. Also, I would find it a bit irrelevant to have the stone in the series unless it had some sort of meaning. I know that the first book was an introduction to everything, but I just think that there is a purpose for why such an emphasis was placed on all things regarding the stone.

Old July 29th, 2002, 1:29 am
Admin Emeritus

Great theory Divi. That sounds like it could definitely happen. I've always though Dumbledore would die in the next book or at least by the end of the series... I never connected the destruction of the stone with the signs of Dumbledore aging.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives