Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Sibyll Trelawney's First Prediction!

Old August 11th, 2002, 3:27 am
First Year

Sybil Trelawney's First Prediction!

Okay, you know when Dumbledore said that the trance Prof. Trelawney went into brought her total number of correct predictions up to two?

What was the first one???

I think that she prophecised that a child born to the Potters would be Voldie's downfall, so he tries to kill the Potter's kid so he can't grow up and defeat Voldie.. but lo and behold. Harry defeats him then and there.. spooky:devil:

Old August 11th, 2002, 3:35 am
First Year

That is an incredible theory. I think you are right about the first prediction having something to do with Harry and Voldermort. And It was pretty "spooky" how she went into the trance.

Old August 11th, 2002, 3:41 am
Fourth Year

Well there is a thread kinda like this: could Harry have been profecized (spelling?)
I don't know if that is enough to close this thread down though because that thread is a theory. This thread can be one for people to post their ideas.

Old August 11th, 2002, 9:38 am
Prefect Emeritus

Perhaps Dumbledore was referring to her accurately predicting that she was having porridge one morning? :grin:

But i'd suggest that she may have predicted Harry's importane in the downfall of Voldemort.
Or even that the Potter's were going to be killed. Perhaps thats why Hagrid was so quick to get Harry from the scene. Dumbledore knew and sent him straight away?

Old August 11th, 2002, 6:40 pm
oooooh spaaaaarkly...

Quote:
Originally posted by El Kabong
And It was pretty "spooky" how she went into the trance.
just spooky? I got really worked up. I can just imagine how they will do it in the film (i have loads of imagination)pretty scary i can say. as far as the first prediction is concerned, well, i think that it is something to do with Harry surviving...

I am the Amazing Pixie Queen! Meet the members of my family and the Royal Court: Brian is my adopted son and Abby my daughter in law.Rell, Hes, Nadia, Heike, Audrey, Mave, Kaz, Donks, Bethany, Maryssa, Lisa and Giulia are my lovely pixie sisters!KitKat and Josh are my pixie brothers.Bill is the King . Matty is my Nephew and Kim8 is my Niece. Celest is my Godmother. Elaina and Evie are the princesses, Chris is the Royal advisor, Poofy is the Court Lawyer, Drew is the Grand Duke, Rusty is the royal fashion advisor & Julie is the Royal Doctor.
Kim (Kimagine) is my Royal Sister the Amazon Queen.
Old August 11th, 2002, 7:37 pm
Fifth Year

The first prediction is probably an important prediction, and I don't think DD would mention a lucky guess as a first prediction. I think that WhiteBumblebee has a really good theroy, that a child born by the Potters would be the Dark Lord's downfall, problem is, that child did not need to grow up to be his downfall.

Old August 11th, 2002, 8:13 pm
Professor Emeritus

And that probably was what surprised everyone. It could be that everyone knew about the first prediction, including (or especially) Dumbledore and Voldemort.

Perhaps the prediction was more general than "Harry," such as "a male of the Potter line," which could be either James or Harry. Voldemort's response to the prediction could have been to kill both James and Harry, assuming that if Harry grew up he would be dangerous. It would have surprised everyone that a toddler could have "defeated" Voldemort.

I would say that that kind of prediction might be what led to Trelawney's appointment as Hogwarts' Divination Professor.

Last edited by HogwartsChaplain; August 11th, 2002 at 10:06 pm.
Old August 11th, 2002, 9:05 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally posted by HogwartsChaplain
Perhaps the prediction was more general than "Harry," such as "a male of the Potter line," which could be either James or Harry. Voldemort's response was to the prediction could have been to kill both James and Harry, assuming that if Harry grew up he would be dangerous.
Maybe that was why Voldie didn't really feel the need to kill Lily :??:

Old August 11th, 2002, 9:11 pm
Professor Emeritus

If Trelawny's first prediction is true, so it must have happened already. It also must have been very important. I think that this idea about Harry being Voldemort's downfall is quite possible. And HogwartsChaplain made a very good point about it. :yup:

Old August 11th, 2002, 10:28 pm
Second Year

This has to do with the heir of Gryffindor theory. Perhaps Trelawny said that their Heir of Gryffindor would be the downfall of the heir of Slytherin. That's why Voldemort wanted to kill both James and Harry, because they were both heirs. But he didn't have to kill Lily, because she was Muggleborn and not the heir of anyone magical. Perhaps James and Harry were the last two of Gryffindor's line, and if they were both dead, Voldie, the heir of Slytherin, would not have to worry about Trelawny's prediction.

Old August 12th, 2002, 11:36 am
oooooh spaaaaarkly...

Hmmm, i think you have something there Katie, i think that it is a possible explanation. one way or another Voldie new that a male Potter would destroy him somehow and that is why he was after them and told Lily that she didnt have to die

I am the Amazing Pixie Queen! Meet the members of my family and the Royal Court: Brian is my adopted son and Abby my daughter in law.Rell, Hes, Nadia, Heike, Audrey, Mave, Kaz, Donks, Bethany, Maryssa, Lisa and Giulia are my lovely pixie sisters!KitKat and Josh are my pixie brothers.Bill is the King . Matty is my Nephew and Kim8 is my Niece. Celest is my Godmother. Elaina and Evie are the princesses, Chris is the Royal advisor, Poofy is the Court Lawyer, Drew is the Grand Duke, Rusty is the royal fashion advisor & Julie is the Royal Doctor.
Kim (Kimagine) is my Royal Sister the Amazon Queen.
Old September 14th, 2002, 2:03 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
. Perhaps James and Harry were the last two of Gryffindor's line, and if they were both dead, Voldie, the heir of Slytherin, would not have to worry about Trelawny's prediction.
if so how would Voldemort know it was James and Harry that were the last remaining heirs and not someone shall we say Ron and on that fact i believe Lily was the last heir and since the first prediction says a midget in glasses would be YKW's downfall he thought sugar shouldn't have sold the Potters those glasses:banghead:

First The Rift, next The Hub. Now Hub 3

Insanity's a gradual process, don't rush it. Ford Prefect
Old September 20th, 2002, 9:42 pm
First Year

Yeah, and that would quite suit JK because it would be a perfect example of a self-fulfilling prophecy like in Oedipus and all those ancient greek tragedies: Vol hears that Harry/Gryffindor's heir/ a Potter will be his downfall - he tries to kill Harry because of this - thereby walking right into his doom.

Old September 20th, 2002, 9:46 pm
First Year

Ahh. I forgot... I wouldn't really like Trelawney to have made this prediction. There are so many wizards out there so why let one do all the important prophecies? It wouldn't feel "real" to me.

Old September 20th, 2002, 9:51 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

It would be nice...but I doubt heir theories because they're a little too obvious, a little too apparent, and it'd be very Rowling-esque to lead us just about directly to something, only to turn away inches from the goal.

As for what the prophecy was...maybe it wasn't even that detailed. Maybe it was simply a prophecy that stated that Voldemort would eventually meet a rival, the one person who would have the strength and ability to defeat him. It's very likely that Harry would be that person, and a teenager successfully performing complex charms is a show of strength; his relative common sense has been shown; and Dumbledore is excellent at judging people, though he does make mistakes. The truth is that we don't have enough information to decide what the prophecy was.

Old September 20th, 2002, 9:58 pm
Seventh Year

Why Not Trelawney, even if there are other Diviners out there? Someone had to do it, I guess, If it had to be done at all. And ridiculous as she is most of the time, I guess she has to have her moment too. If she were a prophet in ancient Israel, however, all her failed predictions would discount her as a prophetess at all. Might even get her stoned. The theory presented, that her prediction concerned Voldemort's downfall and the person who would be the means of it, is a good guess, and I imagine Rowling will be specific on this eventually.

Old September 22nd, 2002, 7:08 am
Second Year

I have always thought she prophesized harry as well! great theory this one is

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Pro Snape
Old November 17th, 2002, 9:30 pm
Seventh Year

I'm sure the reference is another foreshadow. Has JKR actually said that we'll find out what the prediction was?

My chief weapon is shipping neutrality...and avoidance of over-analysis. My two weapons are shipping neutrality, avoidance of over-analysis, and a sense of humour. My three weapons are shipping neutrality, avoidance of over-analysis, and a sense of humour...and an almost fanatical devotion to Remus Lupin. Among my weapons are...
...I'll come in again.
Old November 17th, 2002, 10:27 pm
Zonko's Employee

In another thread it was pointed out that Trelawney called him the Dark Lord in the trance and that only DE's called him that.
I wonder if the trance came from there?

Old November 18th, 2002, 12:42 pm
Third Year

I think it would have said the heir of Slytherin and Griffindor will rule the magic world since he/she got the best blood. Lily is Slytherin's heir (not Voldemort, he mistaken himself as the last heir but the true fact is that is another) because Lily's eyes are green and green is for Slytherin. While James must be Griffindor's heir. Who would have tought the loggerheads will have their heir to marry and born a son that is more powerful than Dumbledore.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives