Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Snape's Mission

Old March 28th, 2003, 10:16 am
Fifth Year

Not at all. They are the dark sides natural allies becuase the dark side can supply them with more food, basically.

They don't really care about normal people, and they wouldn't report anything anywhere unless it resulted in them having more people to feed off.

That's my take, at least.

The Polyphonic Spree.
Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2003, 3:49 pm
Sixth Year

If Snape is using the polyjuice that will now be the third time in the series polyjuice has been used as a plot point, getting a little repetitive.
I just wonder if Rowling would use it again.
I'm one who is not convinced that under certain circumstances Snape couldn't go back to Voldemort.
Voldie is a very arrogant guy and because of it he makes mistakes.
He forgot about the "magic" of love, he didn't know what the wands were doing in GOF, etc.
Now if Snape were able to convince he was double crossing Dumbledore
Voldie might thing him a pretty useful spy for the dark side.
Another idea I've had is that Snape could use a secret keeper. After all
in POA it's clearly stated that Voldie could have been looking in the Potters window and not seen them because they had a secret keeper.
So maybe this time the secret is "Snape is spying on Voldemort"
Or - horrible idea that this is - maybe Snape really is a double agent and he's working for Voldemort. I hate this one but anything is possible.

Old March 28th, 2003, 4:20 pm
First Year

That whole secret keeper thing is a good idea, but isn't the person with the secret (not the secret keeper) supposed to forget their own secret? I thought they did... but Snape seems to know what his mission is, and so does Dumbledore. I think that might eliminate the possibility of a secret keeper. Then again, I might be wrong.

Old March 28th, 2003, 6:43 pm
Sixth Year

Good point although I never got that from the books. Surely the Potters remembered they lived in Godric's Hollow.
I thought that the secret remained secret as long as the secretkeeper didn't reveal it.
Anybody else want to chime in because I'm not sure

Old March 28th, 2003, 8:35 pm
First Year

They know their own secret, of course, but I thought there was something preventing themselves from telling? I seem to remember something about that. I'm not exactly sure about how deep secret-keeping goes, though.

I wonder, though... if Harry Potter's home is kept a secret from Voldemort, than who exactly is the secret keeper? Is it Sirius, Figg, or maybe one of Harry's friends? Maybe it's Dumbledore...

Old March 28th, 2003, 10:52 pm
Sixth Year

Ok, from page 152 POA
"An immensely complex spell," he said squeakily," involving the magical concealment a secret inside a single, living soul.. The information is hidden inside the chosen person or Secret Keeper, and is henceforth impossible to find - unless, of course, the Secret Keeper chooses to divulge it. As long as the Secret-Keeper refused to speak, You-Know-Who could search the village where Lily and James were staying for years and never find them ....."
It doesn't say anything about what others might know or not know.
When you think about at least two others, Sirius Black and Dumbledore
besides the Secret Keeper (Pettigrew) knew where the Potters were.
So I think it's at least possible a Secret Keeper could be used for Snape to spy. Certainly fewer people would know he a spy than knew where James and Lily lived.
Guess we'll find out June 21st.

Old March 29th, 2003, 7:49 pm
Third Year

Snape didn't return to see Voldemort! It would be too predictable! Maybe he went to the dementors!!!

Old March 29th, 2003, 8:07 pm
Fifth Year

If someone is a secret keeper of Harry, then it would protect him wherever he was, not just at the dursleys house. But Harry has been face to face with Voldermort twice already, so I dont believe there is any fidelis charm involved

Old March 31st, 2003, 7:55 am
Secret Keeper

Whatever Snape's mission is, it is apparent that Snape and Dumbledore have had this planned for quite some time. they have all the details worked out to the point that Dumbledore only has to say "You know what you must do..."
Snape goes pale, but nods and leaves.

Old March 31st, 2003, 10:49 am
First Year

Hello, this is my first post, and this is my theory:
Snape will have to kill Dumbledore so that Voldemort accept him back to his group. And he will do with the acceptance of Dumbledore itself. Some kind of Magic will keep Dumbledore Alivem maybe inside the Phoenix, and in some time, when Snape get the information they need from Voldemort, he, -Dumbledore- will rise again, like the Phoenix.
What do you think?

Old March 31st, 2003, 4:40 pm
Fifth Year

Interesting theory, but it seems like Snape started his mission straight away, and then that doesn't really work...

And I don't think Voldemort will accept Snape again. He will not be able to trust him this time. That's what I think.

But very creative theory, I must say.

The Polyphonic Spree.
Old April 1st, 2003, 12:48 am
Sixth Year

abregneti that's an interesting theory.

Old April 1st, 2003, 4:36 pm
Secret Keeper

Snape set his mission in motion at the end of book 5, then he returned. I assume he is waiting for some signal to continue or did he accomplish it in that short time?
He was at the End of Year Feast, remember?

Old April 3rd, 2003, 3:40 pm
Secret Keeper

Sorry, I'm double-posting yet again because some people have been looking for this thread and unable to find it. It was on the second page of the thread list. [Just go all the way down to the bottom of the thread list page and you will find the way to go to the other pages.]

Old April 3rd, 2003, 7:21 pm
Second Year

Dude, I totally disagree about the idea that Snape began his mission right away. I think he left the hospital wing at that point because he realized that Dumbledore was dismissing people one at a time and that Dumbledore had just subtly dismissed him.

Dumbledore tried to convince Fudge to do two things- send an envoy to the giants and sack the dementors. Fudge refused, so Dumbledore got Hargrid (and possibly Maxime) to do a summer mission, which we can only assume is to connect with the giants.

I have a feeling that Dumbledore will want his "old crowd" accessible and nearby. Arthur Weasley's organizing support in the ministry, and that leaves just Snape to deal with the dementors. But I really like the idea of him being ring-leader for a spy-network. I think maybe he'll be doing both.

By the by, I think Snape changed sides out of his obligation to James, though the point someone else brought up about him being too strong to crawl on his belly and kiss Volemort's hem, makes perfect sense.

I'm very curious to see what sort of interchange will happen in the next book between Snape and Fudge. What is up with Fudge? Is he just a lazy, cowardly, power-content incompetant, or is there something more going on? And what about Bagman? If there is something underneath it all, Snape's going to be the one who has to deal with it- that's my guess.

And I think his relationship with Draco is very intentional and that he's working his way to a point where he can be a foil to Lucius.

Snape is not evil.

Snape is not a vampire.

'nuff said.

Old April 5th, 2003, 4:08 am
Secret Keeper

Good points eos.
I don't toally agree with you, but you do state your reasons in a clear manner and that is appreciated.

Old April 5th, 2003, 4:32 am
First Year

Quote:
And what about Bagman?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Bagman run away like a scared whimp at the end of GoF when the Goblins etc. were chasing after him over the money he borrowed? I doubt that we'll be hearing much about him anytime soon.

Old April 5th, 2003, 5:25 am
Secret Keeper

I don't think it was really stated where he had gone. We may yet see more of Bagman, just not sure where or when. Will he be on Dumbledore's side or Voldemort's?

Old April 5th, 2003, 5:37 am
Registered Animagus

Snape's mission boggles me. I can't think of what it may be since Dumbledore had Sirius go with him. It may involve Lucius but why would Sirius go with him then?

Barbara Kennedy- I don't think Dumbledore or Voldemort would trust Bagman to assist them.
He's not trustworthy for anyone's team.

Old April 5th, 2003, 10:22 am
Second Year

Weatherby-- I agree that Bagman's not going to be used by Dumbledore, but I think Voldemort has no problem with using anyone. He feels powerful enough to put an end to any treachery or twist it to his advantage.

What I'm wondering about is if Bagman was really guilty or not? I think he's probably just a pawn, but is he conscious of that fact, and will he be made a pawn again?

But that's another topic.

In the meantime, Sirius didn't go with Snape. Sirius left before Snape did, and we are given the impression that he basically left right away for Lupin's.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives