Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Bloomsbury & Scholastic Cover Illustrations for OotP

Old March 20th, 2003, 7:08 pm
Prefect Emeritus

It's not fair, the Mary Grandpre artwork is by far superior. I still like the Bloomsbury covers, though. I think the adult edition looks more ornate and stylish, but I'll probably end up getting the yellow one.

Actually, the image on the adult cover is weird. It appears to be a statue of a phoenix in a huge domed hall.

Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2003, 7:40 pm
Second Year

Or a statue of a Phoenix in the middle of a fire?

Old March 20th, 2003, 7:47 pm
Prefect Emeritus

The fire looks like foreground decoration to me...?

Old March 20th, 2003, 7:49 pm
First Year

I peronally think that the American cover is excellent. It however is not meant to fit with the other covers as some people think it should. If you remember Mary Grand Pre said herself that the art style will be changing. It began with Goblet of Fire which changed from the bright red and blue hues of the first three covers to a more subdued green and gold scheme that reflected the changing mood of the books. The dark and mysterious blue and gray asthetic of the Order of the Phoenix cover fits well in the darker progression of the plotlines. It shows that the transition into darker and more adult themes has taken place. Remember, the title of Chapter 37 of Goblet of Fire: The Begining. An new era has begun for Harry and his friends and allies and I believe that the new American Order of the Phoenix cover reflects that change perfectly.

Old March 20th, 2003, 8:04 pm
Second Year

The Bloomsbury adult version is really great But I like neither of the two others though.

Old March 20th, 2003, 8:10 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally posted by joelaughing (original post)
The blue american version shows Harry with doors behind him and candles all around. Any ideas as to what that would mean?
It reminds me of the Great Hall... Especially with the candles and stuff, remember in the first movie (or the first book, I can't remember) where there were candles floatin'?

Could it be the Great Hall? It certainly looks grand enough...

Old March 20th, 2003, 8:16 pm

If it is the Great Hall, it seems to be abandoned and dark. I'm hoping there's more pictures on *** back and inside flaps of the American version, also. The UK adult's version is nice, too.

Old March 20th, 2003, 8:17 pm
Third Year

I really dont know what it looks like, but I agree with Meg that the Great Hall looks really dark there.
I really don't like the cover. It doesn't have many details, I can understand why. With all the hype for this book she didn't want the illustrators to give away too much information on the books.
This is such a teaser!:banghead:

Old March 20th, 2003, 8:22 pm
Third Year

It could be the Great Hall at night... I think that's why it's dark and stuff. We haven't seen a great big empty dining area when it's midnight (except in the PoA, but not ALONE)

Old March 20th, 2003, 8:37 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally posted by Cat (original post)

Actually, the image on the adult cover is weird. It appears to be a statue of a phoenix in a huge domed hall.
Yes, and don't take this the wrong way, but it reminds me of Nazi Germany for some reason... not Harry Potterish at all.

I only have the 4 box set of the Harry Potter Books (American editions) so I guess book 5 will stand out a bit on my bookshelf. It is different.

Old March 20th, 2003, 8:38 pm
First Year

This
is a much more bigger cover of the american version.

Old March 20th, 2003, 8:47 pm
Second Year

I don't remember anything about those kind of doors in the Great Hall. Just the big double door in the back. (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). I think this might be a room in Hogwarts that we have not seen yet, and that those doors represent a choice that Harry is going to have to make. I don't know what the candles are for, except that they add more of an air of mystery to the whole picture. I'd love to see a fan-fic based on the cover . . .

Old March 20th, 2003, 8:53 pm
Third Year

With the HUGE close up of the cover, it appears to be much smaller that the Great Hall... what's an eerie room in Hogwarts? The dungeons maybe?

Note that the direction on the flames of the candles change, as if there was like a vortex or something.

There are heaps of ideas on The Leaky Cauldron Comments.

Old March 20th, 2003, 9:02 pm
Prefect Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Starseyer (original post)
I don't know what the candles are for, except that they add more of an air of mystery to the whole picture.
Especially since every single candle is flickering. As though somebody just opened a door

Old March 20th, 2003, 9:02 pm
Fourth Year

Ok, the covers are for JK to try to give us clues! Remember on the US book four cover it showed things that happened in the book? Well, in the OotP US book cover, it looks like Harry's in Moaning Myrtle's Bathroom with candles lit- remember how it's superstition that when people "contact the spirit world" they light candles? maybe that's why they're there- because Harry has to study death in closer ways. We shouldn't complain about the covers, because JK agrees with them, so we should too!

Old March 20th, 2003, 9:10 pm
Second Year

ooh sweet ive been waiting to see these!! finally an American cover i really like...well PoA wasnt bad. But it really makes it seem that the books are getting more serious. I bet that's the room JKR said was the special room! ooh I can't wait to read it!!!

Old March 20th, 2003, 9:11 pm
Fifth Year

But how can they give us clues if the Artist wasn't allowed to read it (IT being the OoTP)?

Old March 20th, 2003, 9:15 pm
Fourth Year

JK can tell them what she'd like to see on the cover, not necisarily telling them what it is. She could have told the artist to draw a room with many doors or something, but she didn't tell them what the room was... I dunno, who did the artist draw what the other books have inside without reading them first?

Old March 20th, 2003, 9:21 pm
Seventh Year

They do read them first, don't they? I don't know, I've only met one cover illustrator before, for a different set of books (I went to Josh Kirby's house once ), and he was given the manuscripts in advance, for the cover illustrations.

But I like them all. I'll be getting two copies, any way (otherwise me and Cat will be at each other's throats), so I might get one copy of the children's edition and one of the adults, for variation. The US copy looks great too. I'm more keen to see the German covers though, if Sabine Wilharm is still providing the artwork!

Old March 20th, 2003, 9:40 pm
Seventh Year

Yeah, I believe that previously they did read them before illustrating the covers. There wasn't so much secrecy with the first four books as there is with this. But this time 'round, BBC says that:

Quote:
The contents of the book are so secret that even the artist, illustrator Jason Cockcroft, wasn't allowed to read it before drawing the cover. Instead J. K. Rowling and her editor at Bloomsbury, Emma Matthewson, came up with the idea and then told the artist the kind of image they wanted them to create.
I think the covers are great. I especially like Mary Grandpré's cover, though I haven't a clue what it's supposed to be. I was mildly disappointed when I first saw it (I expected to find the normal collage with its clues), but I like the mystery of it. I'm also happy to see that it is blue. The English childrens' cover is really nice, too.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives