Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Percy was a Polyjuiced Wormtail

Old February 22nd, 2004, 6:10 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk
I think you're all underestimating Pettigrew as Peter, or as Scabbers. He is trecherous, yes, and a chicken at heart... but when cornered, watch out.
I think you may have a point there. I am keeping this in mind because JKR's background is fairly religious so she would have Pettigrew make himself be redeemable at least towards the end. If not him, then Percy. Maybe Peter will actually come through and save Harry and Ron (I can only surmise this because he spent so long in the Weasley household and I cant imagine him not taking some kind of respect and admiration from there)

Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2004, 8:58 pm
Prefect Emeritus

Quote:
I think you're all underestimating Pettigrew as Peter, or as Scabbers. He is trecherous, yes, and a chicken at heart... but when cornered, watch out.
It's the fact that I refuse to underestimate him that I can't imagine that he disguised himself as Percy. If he had, I don't think he would have been foolish enough to have been so useless at it. I mean, Percy had no insights and no authority. There was nothing going on with Fudge that Voldemort couldn't have found out by reading the newspaper. It was well known what Fudge thought about Voldemort's return.

So surely he would have gone to his parents, made up with them, and spied on the Order. Percy is or could be a member, right? He's old enough and he's Arthur's son.

Can you imagine Peter going back to Lord Voldemort and saying 'I did what you asked, but I just followed Fudge around uselessly and acted pompously'. What then? A life expectancy of a few seconds, maybe?

Old February 23rd, 2004, 12:36 am
Renegade

I posted some queries into a much broader and grander conspiracy, likely the brainchild of Lucius Malfoy, in the Layers thread. It touches on Peter Pettigrew and the issue of whether or not he was impersonating Percy Weasley. You might want to have a look.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old March 4th, 2004, 1:50 pm
Fifth Year

From today's web chat:

Echo: Was Percy acting entirely of his own accord in Order of the Phoenix?
JK Rowling replies -> I'm afraid so.

Oh well ...

Old March 4th, 2004, 2:03 pm
Renegade

Yeah... I really thought that was a good possibility. Turns out it wasn't. I'm eating crow as I ponder another avenue of thought. Rowling says we're going to have a new Minister of Magic. With that added to the events at the end of OotP, where oh where does that leave our boy Percy? He'll be forgiven by Molly and Arthur, I'm sure, but he is going to have his hands full with the six other redheads at the Burrough.

And Rowling did say we'll find out where Worm has been!

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

August 28, 2013

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old March 4th, 2004, 2:21 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Rowling says we're going to have a new Minister of Magic. With that added to the events at the end of OotP, where oh where does that leave our boy Percy?
Especially if the new Minister of Magic is Arthur Weasley!

Old March 4th, 2004, 2:30 pm
Second Year

Wasn't this a big factor of Galadriel Waters theory? That Percy was under Imperius or something? Ack...now what?

If Arthur does get his chance at minister now though, Percy better do some serious apologizing for his behaviour!

Old March 4th, 2004, 2:32 pm
Renegade

D'ya really think there's much of a chance Arthur will get the nod, though, Phoenix? There are so many other Ministry employees of higher rank than poor Arthur. Frankly, I kinda hope Amelia Bones gets the job and promptly promotes Arthur to spearhead the business of protecting muggles during the coming war. It would be wonderful to see Arthur compensated for all he's done - and against such terrible odds! An easier time of it, financially, for the Weasleys... wow, I hope it happens!

Now watch Rowling throw a wrench into things and find a way for Lucius Malfoy to get out of Azkaban, fully acquitted, and bribe his way into the Minister's position.

August 28, 2013

Old March 4th, 2004, 2:39 pm
Renegade

No way will Percy get the top job.

August 28, 2013

Old March 4th, 2004, 2:41 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
D'ya really think there's much of a chance Arthur will get the nod, though, Phoenix?
Not much of a chance, but certainly a chance; after all, Fudge was Junior Minister in the Department of Magical Catastrophes, and became Minister, so perhaps Arthur, as Head of Department (even if it is a boring department) could become Minister as well. Not to mention that we don't know how the Minister is selected, do we? (I could be spacing out on this one...)

Old March 4th, 2004, 2:48 pm
Renegade

Arthur would be the ideal candidate for a wartime Minister, particularly when it comes to muggles being under fire. And now that you mention it, Fudge wasn't particularly high up when he got the job. In fact, when Crouch was disgraced, everyone wanted Dumbledore for the job. Wonder if he'll accept this time and promote Arthur himself?

August 28, 2013

Old March 4th, 2004, 2:59 pm
Renegade

Percy is too young, too green behind the ears, and too junior a ministry employee to merit much consideration as Minister of Magic. He may well get there in time, but it won't be now.

Percy's plan certainly had more to do with preparing himself for the Minister's job. No way has he planned a coup d'etat of such magnitude as what you're suggesting.

August 28, 2013

Old March 4th, 2004, 3:03 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Arthur would be the ideal candidate for a wartime Minister, particularly when it comes to muggles being under fire. And now that you mention it, Fudge wasn't particularly high up when he got the job. In fact, when Crouch was disgraced, everyone wanted Dumbledore for the job. Wonder if he'll accept this time and promote Arthur himself?

Do we know what position Fudge was in when he got the Minister of Magic job? He was Junior Minister in the Department of Magical Catastrophes when Sirius and Wormtail had their little set-to that killed a dozen people, but was he still there a few years later when he got the MoM position? I got the idea that Fudge hadn't been MoM very long when Harry went to Hogwarts, and there was a 10-year span between Sirius' incarceration and Harry's reappearance in the magical world. Maybe Fudge moved up into a higher position during those years before he got the MoM post?

Then again, maybe a JM in the Dept of Magical Catastrophes is still a more powerful position than being the Dept Head of some other departments. Most governments have some departments that wield more power than others, and I would think the DoMC would be a big one.

Anyway, I'm inclined to think Amelia Bones would be a good MoM if Arthur doesn't get it. Either way, Dumbledore will have a significant say in what goes on, even if he isn't MoM. Madame Bones and Arthur Weasley would both listen to DD and take his advice.

I know I'll get over it

But I'll never be happy about it
Old March 4th, 2004, 3:15 pm
Renegade

I love your signature! I'm anxiously awaiting the extended release of The Return of the King too, as the theatre version left out loads of key scenes. I don't care so much for the movie release of PoA... I was sorely disappointed in the first two movies, so I can't see me wasting cash on going to see PoA in the theatres. I'll wait till it comes out on DVD.

You're right about Fudge. We don't know what he did between the time he was Junior Minister in Magical Catastrophes and his ascension to the Minister of Magic position. I tend to think a promotion or two is likely. From Hagrid's description of Fudge's bungling and "pelting Dumbledore with owls" every morning in the first book, I also agree Fudge was new in the position of Minister at the time Harry re-entered the magical world. It would fit with the later comments at the table in the kitchen of Grimmaud Place.

August 28, 2013

Old March 4th, 2004, 3:30 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I love your signature! I'm anxiously awaiting the extended release of The Return of the King too, as the theatre version left out loads of key scenes. I don't care so much for the movie release of PoA... I was sorely disappointed in the first two movies, so I can't see me wasting cash on going to see PoA in the theatres. I'll wait till it comes out on DVD.
Thanks about the signature, and I agree about the key scenes. As far as I'm concerned, the movie isn't finished yet!

I wasn't overly thrilled with PS/SS or CoS, but I'll give PoA a chance in theaters. If it's not an improvement, the rest will probably wait until the DVDs are released.

Quote:
You're right about Fudge. We don't know what he did between the time he was Junior Minister in Magical Catastrophes and his ascension to the Minister of Magic position. I tend to think a promotion or two is likely. From Hagrid's description of Fudge's bungling and "pelting Dumbledore with owls" every morning in the first book, I also agree Fudge was new in the position of Minister at the time Harry re-entered the magical world. It would fit with the later comments at the table in the kitchen of Grimmaud Place.
It would also fit with a standard procedure for Government jobs (at least from my personal experience of several years of governement work): promote the useless ones and get them out of the way of the people doing the work! Fudge is about useless, so he should have been promoted a few times along the way.

I know I'll get over it

Old March 4th, 2004, 4:01 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tane
Do we know how the minister of magic is elected in the first place? I have this fixed in my head now of how a battle between father and son for the MoM position might occur. Arthur hates Percy and Percy hates Arthur, so may be both will try for the position of MoM on a personal and professional front.

Frankly I hope Arthur gets it because I don't like Percy nor trust him any more.
I've never seen anything to indicate how the Minister of Magic is chosen. It sounds like a lot of people have a say, but I don't know what form that takes. OotP (American edition) specifically mentions that Dumbledore didn't "apply" for the job; it doesn't say anything about "running" for the position.

We (at least we in the States) normally say "running" for an elected position, which would indicate that the registered voting population selects the candidate they want. However, to "apply for a job" is usually the method of gaining a position for which one must interview, thus implying that the successful candidate is chose by a committee (probably a large one).

I don't know if the word "apply" was changed from the original British version and is only in the American edition, or if the word "apply" in reference to a top government job in Britain would mean the same thing as "run for office" here in the States. That's a long way of saying that it may be an odd word choice that confuses me.

I know I'll get over it

Old March 4th, 2004, 4:14 pm
Second Year

I can't see Percy getting it either. You know who will want it...Umbridge. But hopefully she'll be cast out with the rest of Fudge's fan club. Of course, if Fudge's fan club is all cast out...there goes Percy as well. Hmm...

Old March 4th, 2004, 4:40 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
OotP said that he got the job when the previous Minister (Millicent Bagnold) retired, so I assume several years gap between Voldemort's fall and Fudge becoming Minister. I certainly can't see Percy getting it - not only is he just a couple of years out of Hogwarts, but he hasn't exactly been a shining success in his first few posts, has he?

Amelia Bones is the logical choice - she's currently head of Magical Law Enforcement, so it would make sense for her to step up as that's the kind of skills needed for the job. It would also make sense of the fact that JKR apparently insisted Susan Bones was mentioned in the first film - if she's the Minister's niece and (probably) heir, she's going to be (a) important and (b) a target in Book 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusly_Addicted
I don't know if the word "apply" was changed from the original British version and is only in the American edition, or if the word "apply" in reference to a top government job in Britain would mean the same thing as "run for office" here in the States. That's a long way of saying that it may be an odd word choice that confuses me.
No, in Britain "apply" means the same thing it does in the US. The British equivalent of "run for office" is "stand for election". The description in OotP implies that candidates are chosen by some internal Ministry process.

BTW, this is all going wildly off-topic. If there's a "New Minister for Magic" thread anywhere (I seem to remember one, but couldn't find it) could one of the mods bump it up the list and transfer the last few posts?

Last edited by SnorkackCatcher; March 4th, 2004 at 5:11 pm.
Old March 4th, 2004, 5:47 pm
Twilight Princess

If you wish to discuss who will be the new Minister of Magic, please do so here.
Now lets get back on topic!

Old March 4th, 2004, 8:05 pm
Third Year

Sadly the recent World Book day interview with JKR posted on HPANA (www.hpana.com) blows this theory out of the water completely:

Quote:
Echo: Was Percy acting entirely of his own accord in Order of the Phoenix?
Quote:
JK Rowling replies -> I'm afraid so.

Sorry dudes.

Veq.

</TABLE><TABLE STYLE="filter:glow(color=Green strength= 5)"><TR><TD>
The 'Lord Voldemort' Barbie mk 2: Now with REAL gleaming red eyes and realistic evil-arm-waving action! PLUS for a limited time only, you can purchase the 'Graveyard-Priori-Incantatum', 'Ministry-of-Magic-backside-kicking', 'Grovelling-Death-Eaters' and 'Death-by-baby' Playsets. (Each set sold seperately, may differ in small details from illustration, will cause death.)</TABLE>

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives