Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Aunt Petunia - a squib?

Old October 26th, 2002, 8:16 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally posted by dantares
I have another theory. Both Vernon and Petunia are Harry's secret keeper. It is not Figgs.
The Dursleys have no more magic in their blood than a rock. They are perfectly normal, thank you very much. They don't want ANYTHING to do with magic, espeically magic that would require them to be involved.

Old October 26th, 2002, 8:22 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally posted by Qeomash
The Dursleys have no more magic in their blood than a rock. They are perfectly normal, thank you very much. They don't want ANYTHING to do with magic, espeically magic that would require them to be involved.
I can just hear the Dursleys saying that! Qeomash you
must be channeling.

Old October 26th, 2002, 10:22 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Quote:
Originally posted by dantares
I have another theory. Both Vernon and Petunia are Harry's secret keeper. It is not Figgs. They are Harry's best secret keeeper because they never like to admit his presence. They choose to ignore him completely and would jump when the 'M' word is mentioned. Figgs is just there to make sure that they don't anyone about Harry. If they did, Figgs would personally brings Harry to someone safe.
I'm not sure why Harry is safe with the Dursley's, but Harry doesn't have a secret keeper.

Here's the definition of the Fidelius Charm from the Lexicon:
Fidelius Charm (fih-DAY-lee-us)

"fidelis" L. trusty, faithful

Complex and powerful charm that hides a person or persons completely; their location is known only to their designated "Secret Keeper."

Example: * Used to try to protect Lily and James Potter from Voldemort. "An immensely complex spell involving the magical concealment of a secret inside a single, living soul. The information is hidden inside the chosen person, or Secret-Keeper, and is henceforth impossible to find -- unless, of course, the Secret-Keeper chooses to divulge it.
As long as the Secret-Keeper refused to speak, You-Know-Who could search the village where Lily and James were staying for years and never find them, not even if he had his nose pressed against their sitting room window!" Unfortunately, Peter Pettigrew was chosen as Secret-Keeper, and he betrayed James and Lily.

I put in bold letters the part of the Fidelius charm I wanted to emphasize. Too many people know where Harry lives outside of Hogwarts. Hagrid, McGonagall, Sirius, The Weasleys, Hermione, Dumbledore, Miss Figg, Aunt Marge, etc...

The Secret Keeper would be the only person who would know where Harry lives, and anyone looking for him wouldn't even be able to see him, if he were standing right in front of them. But he is easily found - as we found out in the second book when Ron and the twins rescued him. So I don't think Harry has a Secret Keeper.

But...there is some sort of magic protecting him. Voldemort said there was some sort of "ancient magic" protecting him while he's in his relations care. I hope Rowling gives us more information about the ancient magic in future books. Dumbledore has a few tricks up his sleeve I believe.

Old October 27th, 2002, 2:43 am
First Year

i always thought that part of the charm ment that only the person you wanted to hide from couldn't see you. i don't know though, it would be more interesting to find out about some other form of ancient magic that was keeping harry safe.

Old October 27th, 2002, 2:53 am
Zonko's Employee

Vernon is just a hypocritical and judgemental guy. I doubt he knew about magic until Petunia told him.

I do think it might be possible someone in the Evans family might possess abilities but noone in her immediate family.
The same could be possible with Hermione.

Old October 28th, 2002, 6:23 pm
Fourth Year

Vernon lives with so much fear. It must be horrible to be him.

Old October 28th, 2002, 6:37 pm
Sixth Year

But if he was nicer he wouldn't have to live with the fear.

Petition to be Allowed a Picture of The Sport My Dad Loved on his Churchyard Memorial (Speedway) - Signatures Appreciated
Old October 28th, 2002, 6:47 pm
Fourth Year

You are soooooooooo right. One of things I am most
looking forward to finding out is why they took Harry
when they felt as they did.

Old October 28th, 2002, 7:51 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Quote:
Originally posted by JoFaye
You are soooooooooo right. One of things I am most
looking forward to finding out is why they took Harry
when they felt as they did.
I'm hoping that we'll eventually find out what Dumbledore said int he letter that he left with Harry on the doorstep. I think there's something in that letter that made the Dursely's take Harry. Otherwise...why not put him in an orphange?

Old October 28th, 2002, 8:08 pm
Fourth Year

I absolutely agree, and I have been waiting for the answer
to this since the 2cnd book. (When I read the first one I
didn't realize it was going to be a series.) I want to know
and I want to know right now.

Old October 28th, 2002, 9:40 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally posted by Buckeyepotterfan
I'm pretty sure that when Harry is talking to Tom Riddle in the Chamber of Secrets he says something like "My mother died trying to save me...My common MUGGLE-BORN mother" (sorry don't have the book with me so I can't get an exact quote) That makes me think that both parents would have had to be muggles, so Petunia couldn't be a squib.
You might check, but I'm pretty sure I read that in ONE of the books.
I think you're right.
Petunia doesn't seem like she has the type of personality that would allow her to quit trying to be a witch at any cost. She seems like the type of person who would have worked and worked just to earn some credit.
I don't think that she would have allowed herself to become a true muggle if she was around witches and wizards all of the time while growing up.

Old November 1st, 2002, 11:58 pm
First Year

I've read somewhere that Rowling has said that someone "old" will learn the art of magic, or at least get magic skills. This could be either Filch, Vernon or Petunia.. or someone else of course, but there aren't too many squibs/muggles you get to know in the books..

Old November 2nd, 2002, 1:54 am
Prefect Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by zebo
I've read somewhere that Rowling has said that someone "old" will learn the art of magic, or at least get magic skills.
Here's what was said.

Will there be, or have there been, any "late blooming" students in the school who come into their magic potential as adults, rather than as children?
... In my books, magic almost always shows itself in a person before age 11; however, there is a character who does manage in desperate circumstances to do magic quite late in life, but that is very rare in the world I am writing about.

- Barnes & Noble chat, 1999.

You know, it's the 'desperate circumstances' that intrigue me!

Old November 2nd, 2002, 6:28 am
Third Year

Well, I did it's the desperate suitation is that Peter tries to kills Harry together with the Dursley. Petunia managed to do some powerful magic and drives Peter away (something like making Peter files 50 ft without wand just like Neville bouncing off the mountain). It was then she will realised that she is the same as her sister, a freak - thank you very much!

Old November 2nd, 2002, 1:32 pm
Sixth Year

That's impossible. Where did you get that. There's no written proof. She doesn't give a dam* about Harry. And if she was a squib, she wouldn't be able to do magic. Even without a wand. There's too much proof in the idea that Petunia is not a squib.

Old November 4th, 2002, 5:46 pm
First Year

I really dont think that aunt p had anything to do with the magic world, maybe thats why she is so angry cos she didnt get into hogwarts and her sis got all the attention, and if she did have anythin to do with the magic world then she wouldn't be as afraid of and horrible to Harry

Old November 10th, 2002, 8:33 pm
Seventh Year

Petunia's comment about "As if [her and Lily's parents] were proud to have a witch in the family" tells me that Lily was the only witch in the immediate family at least. Therefore Petunia is a true Muggle. But why were their parents so excited about Lily being a witch? We really need to know more about the Evans family.

My chief weapon is shipping neutrality...and avoidance of over-analysis. My two weapons are shipping neutrality, avoidance of over-analysis, and a sense of humour. My three weapons are shipping neutrality, avoidance of over-analysis, and a sense of humour...and an almost fanatical devotion to Remus Lupin. Among my weapons are...
...I'll come in again.
Old November 10th, 2002, 9:53 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Puffskein, now that you mention it...that does prove for some examination. Excitement isn't the first thought that would come into a person's mind when their world is turned upside-down, and for Muggles, there really is no way to avoid this. Even with a teacher, or a person of some sort, to verify the truth for Muggle-borns, excitement isn't so likely.

Would it be possible for one or both of Lily's parents to have come from relatively long lines of Squibs, knowing their heritage but being alienated from it? If that was so, the excitement would be explained, and I suppose squib-after-squib-after-squib would, eventually, simply qualify a person as a Muggle. There really isn't anything to base it on, though. The Evans are going to have to be covered in future books.

Old November 10th, 2002, 10:05 pm
Zonko's Employee

The long line of Squibs is possible. How did Hermione and Lily and other muggle-borns get the genes?

Old November 11th, 2002, 1:06 am
Prefect Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Tarawyn
Puffskein, now that you mention it...that does prove for some examination. Excitement isn't the first thought that would come into a person's mind when their world is turned upside-down, and for Muggles, there really is no way to avoid this. Even with a teacher, or a person of some sort, to verify the truth for Muggle-borns, excitement isn't so likely.
Regular parents wouldn't be excited that their child has special abilities and the resources to improve them?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives