Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Snape teach DADA? Does he really want the position?

Old May 8th, 2003, 4:53 pm
First Year

I think he will be in the end, possibly in the 7th book. The fact that Snape wants the job and is interested in the Dark Acts has been covered in every book (if I'm not mistaken) so it's obviously important.

I just know there's going to be more baggage to come with Snape and I believe that he will have a crucial role in OOTP due to what DD asks him to do at the end.

Old May 15th, 2003, 3:23 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally posted by kgonekrazy (original post)
I don't think we will see Snape as DADA teacher. I think that the rumor that he wants the job is just a rumor. He likes his potions way to much to give up teaching the class. "You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potion making... ... I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses..." -SS/PS These words are spoken by a man who love his subject not someone who is waiting for a better post to open up.
I must agree with kgonekrazy. Snape may have all the knowledge needed to teach Defense Against the Dark Arts, but he prefers to teach his "subtle science and exact art" that is Potions making.

Old May 28th, 2003, 11:15 pm
Second Year

Aw, thanks a lot Liv! I had a great idea formulating in my head until you posted that quote by Rickman (j/k - I'm not really angry ):
Quote:
"Well he's Professor of Potions and the current head of Slytherin House at Hogwarts - the school of wizardry that Harry attends, but he harbours a secret ambition to be a Professor of the Dark Arts."
But, maybe JK didn't tell Rickman everything about Snape. Or I guess Snape could really want to be the DADA professor. *shrugs* Just out of curiosity, who else did JK tell 'secrets' too? The only people that I've heard of are Rickman and what's-his-name the screenwriter.

Anywho, before I forget it, my theory was that Snape doesn't really want the position, but it was just a rumor based on the fact that he was really into the Dark Arts in his school days and DE days. If Snape really wanted the position, Dumbledore would give it to him. I don't agree that it would be too tempting for him (being an ex-Death Eater), since he would be teaching Defense AGAINST the Dark Arts, not the Dark Arts.

---
**edit**
okay, after thinking it over a bit, I think my theory does make sense after all.
---

Last edited by wolfie; May 30th, 2003 at 3:12 am.
Old May 29th, 2003, 1:30 am
I trusted Severus Snape

Actually, in movie Percy says, "He teaches Potions, but everybody knows it's the Dark Arts he fancies." Rickman may have gotten his idea from that.

Old May 29th, 2003, 2:34 am
Second Year

I think even though he'd be a good DADA teacher, he loves his potions, that's where his passion lies!

Old May 29th, 2003, 3:45 am
Fifth Year

I would think that Snape would be the best teacher for the job since he is best suited. Think about it, he has actually been with the dark forces so he has some sort of idea of what they are up against, he (according to sirius or lupin) knew more curses than most seventh years when he was quite young, and he is evidently quite a powerful wizard compared to most.

Given, I do think that potions are his favorite, but I bet he wants to teach the DADA because he actually wants to help the students defend themselves. Perhaps he knew Voldemort was going to regain power and wanted the job early on but never got it? Problem is, I think somewhere in the books it was stated that in the second year lockhart was only hired because there was no other applicants; that definitely goes in favor of snape's wanting to be the DADA to just a rumor. I guess we'll find out though. I really hope that we eventually get to see him as the DADA teacher later on!

Old May 29th, 2003, 4:06 am
Second Year

Yeah, like I said, even though I don't think he wants it, I think it'd be really cool to see him as DADA teacher, but then who'd take care of potions?

Old May 29th, 2003, 11:05 am
Sixth Year

if snape took defence against the dark arts, it would just be dark arts, if you catch my drift. yeah, he's had experience, but from the wrong side. i think thats y DD wont give him the position,becos of his shady past.

The New Bestseller - Available Now at Flourish and Blotts!
(for fan mail, feedback, hair-care tips and marriage proposals, please click here)

One of the COS Authorteers - Barbara Kennedy, emikkime, Guardian Angel, Miri, thethirdman, leenielou, Kate Johnson, Prosperine, Lady DeMimsy and Amina, along with Potter_fan, Jessie and Captain Pookers.
Old May 29th, 2003, 12:15 pm
First Year

OK I've got a different twist on this theory. What if the reason that Snape hasn't gotten the DADA job, assuming for the moment that he really does want the job, is because he isn't psycholigically able to handle it.

Now hear me out. DADA is kind of like a martial arts class with the teacher being similar to a weapons master. Snape loves his potions, and based on his speech, is passionate about them.

If Snape is as passionate about DADA as he is about potions, then to lose a student might just hurt him psychologically. after all if a former student dies later on Snape could drive himself nuts over what he might have done wrong or what he could have done differently to better prepare that student.

DADA is to prepare a student to combat and defend themselves against evil. A martial arts teacher prepares his students to participate in mundane battles but they are battles just the same and people (at least in the old days) got killed in these battles.

What I'm getting at is that maybe Snape would have a difficult time handling the possiblility of the death of a present or former student. or more than one student. That passion of his could go both ways.

Remember I'm running under the theory that Snape really wants the job. I'm not totally convinced he does. Think about it other than Moody/Crouch Jr, and Lupin, the other two teachers have been total losers. I think it would have been easier to find a teacher for potions than to find a teacher for a "jinxed" DADA position.

Finished Book 5 in approx. 7.5 hours. :-)
Old May 29th, 2003, 3:53 pm
Sixth Year

interesting theory, but that means snape has to have a heart

(for fan mail, feedback, hair-care tips and marriage proposals, please click here)

One of the COS Authorteers - Barbara Kennedy, emikkime, Guardian Angel, Miri, thethirdman, leenielou, Kate Johnson, Prosperine, Lady DeMimsy and Amina, along with Potter_fan, Jessie and Captain Pookers.
Old May 29th, 2003, 4:30 pm
Second Year

Oh, but he does have a heart ... I think.

Anyway, I don't think he wants the DADA position. I think he is just suspicious of all of them. The first two were well, um, bad at DADA. Quirrel couldn't resist Voldermort and Lockhart was inept. After those two, I just assumed Lupin was going to be bad news (I hate to admit it). And Snape didn't think Lupin could be trusted either. And Moody wasn't really Moody, and anyway everyone thought Moody was senile or something. I mean, the position just hasn't had the best history of teachers to fulfill it (at least in Snape's view, because we all know Lupin is good). I think he's weariness of the DADA teachers make it appear he wants the job.

Old May 29th, 2003, 4:33 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally posted by Shells Bells (original post)
OK I've got a different twist on this theory. What if the reason that Snape hasn't gotten the DADA job, assuming for the moment that he really does want the job, is because he isn't psycholigically able to handle it.

Now hear me out. DADA is kind of like a martial arts class with the teacher being similar to a weapons master. Snape loves his potions, and based on his speech, is passionate about them.

If Snape is as passionate about DADA as he is about potions, then to lose a student might just hurt him psychologically. after all if a former student dies later on Snape could drive himself nuts over what he might have done wrong or what he could have done differently to better prepare that student.

DADA is to prepare a student to combat and defend themselves against evil. A martial arts teacher prepares his students to participate in mundane battles but they are battles just the same and people (at least in the old days) got killed in these battles.

What I'm getting at is that maybe Snape would have a difficult time handling the possiblility of the death of a present or former student. or more than one student. That passion of his could go both ways.

Remember I'm running under the theory that Snape really wants the job. I'm not totally convinced he does. Think about it other than Moody/Crouch Jr, and Lupin, the other two teachers have been total losers. I think it would have been easier to find a teacher for potions than to find a teacher for a "jinxed" DADA position.
Oooh that is a really good take on things, I see what you mean!

Quote:
interesting theory, but that means snape has to have a heart
Aww but of course he does! He just has a unique was of showing it.

Old May 31st, 2003, 7:20 am
Third Year

Hi,
he is capable enough teaching DADA (IŽm convinced he is) but it is quite possible he doesnŽt want the position at all. Maybe he cannot not be Master Of Slytherin House (which seems to me it is really "HIS" house and important for him in a very personal way) and beeing DADA teacher at the same time? Maybe this is simply NOT allowed, who knows? Just an idea.

Bann me! IŽm tired of cosforums! What a shame dunderheads use to discuss here "whom they want to kill in book 7 if they could " but funny matters are forbidden here. Bann me! It would be an honour for me.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 1:39 am
First Year

Snape has a heart, after all, he did, save Harry in the first book when Quirrel was jinxing Harry's broom during the quiddich match.

Snape is tough, he doesn't take any guff from anyone. I think that part of this toughness might be a cover. Just like McGonnagall. She's tough as nails too, but she still has a kinder side. She could have expelled Harry the first day of flying practice, instead she made him seeker for the Gryffindor team.

I think that Snape has this same capability. He's gone from voldies team to DD's team. He's got to be covering his backside. after all, the Slytherin students could rat him out to their parents if he acted any way other than totally gung-ho Slytherin.

Heaven forbid, Snape be seen showing the least amount of concern for Harry. Draco and crew would be sending owls home to mommy and daddy dearest so fast our heads would spin.

Finished Book 5 in approx. 7.5 hours. :-)
Old June 2nd, 2003, 5:46 pm
Sixth Year

LOL shells bells. i can see it now.
Dear mummy, professor snape actually smiled today. We are all becoming seriously worried that he might have a decent streak....
aw.....i love snape

Old June 2nd, 2003, 7:30 pm
Fifth Year

I think it's just a rumour that originated from the fact that he knows a lot about the Dark Arts. He enjoys his Potions too much to give it up

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives