Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Is it weird to have a crush on a fictional character?

Old September 17th, 2008, 4:18 pm
Don't feed the Noob! (It only encourages them)

Re: Is it wierd to have a crush on a fictional character?

^Well, sure. My point is both types are just fantasies.

Committed to Sparkle Motion
Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2008, 12:32 am
Secret Keeper

I agree with that. Unless you can act on a crush, it's never "real". Either way, to me, those fantasy characters are real to me, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks

In my case, my crush on Voldemort has been very healthy . A few years ago i had kind of a rough psychological time and he's the guy who pulled me through it

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old September 18th, 2008, 9:44 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
In my case, my crush on Voldemort has been very healthy . A few years ago i had kind of a rough psychological time and he's the guy who pulled me through it
Ha ha..he's helped someone atleast

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old September 18th, 2008, 11:55 am
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl View Post
I don't think it's weird at all to have a crush on a fictional character. I've had a crush on Sirius Black ever since I started to read the books and had one on Harry Potter ever since I started to watch the movies (but that phase has passed).
It always passes with me but not before I suffer so badly, Tom Riddle is the one who's lasted for so long.
Quote:
I've just recently started to have a major crush on Severus Snape though
But Snape's too old .
Quote:
If you look around the forum you'll find loads of fangirls (and occasionaly a fanboy or two) who swoon and squee like mad over fictional characters. I can't be very strange if almost everyone is doing it.
I agree with you, but some people swoon over real characters, right?

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old September 19th, 2008, 7:08 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I love Ron Weasley and Rupert Grint and I don't think there's anything weird about it. I think sometimes you read or see characters on TV and you relate to them or feel empathy for them or identify with them. I think it's only weird when you can't separate the knowledge that Ron Weasley isn't a real person or that Rupert isn't Ron. I think my love for these characters is perfectly natural. I respect them and admire them and therefore I like to read, discuss and see pictures of them (well, pictures of Rupert anyway )

Cheers

Old September 20th, 2008, 6:54 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaselqueen View Post
It's understandable that we "bond" with characters that we feel have admirable traits. Ron is my favorite character because he is similar to many of my guy friends. He is hilarious, fairly athletic, loyal, and brave. So I admire him. And I feel the same about other fictional characters.

However, claiming to "love" characters is dangerous. I think it's fine to bond with a character and admit that you would date them if they existed, but to obsess over a fictional character is just as dangerous as it is to obsess over a real person.
I really dont see whats "dangerous" about being in love with a fictional character, I mean, I am in love with Neville Longbottom, and I do NOT like him for his looks, I like his personality, he's just like me! . . . . . . . . . .
anyway, nothing has ever happened to me since I fell in love with him, so I really dont see whats dangerous.

"It is our choices that show who we truely are, far more than our abilities." -Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, page 333

"After all this time?"
"Always."

Last edited by Nympfadora13; September 21st, 2008 at 8:48 pm.
Old September 20th, 2008, 9:23 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
Ha ha..he's helped someone atleast
at that time, I was like really confused and depressed and didn't know where I was going in life so i had like no hopes or dreams and didn't really see the point of life, and then HBP came out and reading about Voldy was like the perfect medicine. Of course, I'm not too sure how good it is for everyone else that my hero is Voldy....but he helped me at least

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nympfadora13 View Post
I really dont see whats "dangerous" about being in love with a fictional character, I mean, I am in love with Neville Longbottom, and I do NOT like hime for his looks, I like his personality, he's just like me! . . . . . . . . . .
anyway, nothing has ever happened to me since I fell in love with him, so I really dont see whats dangerous.
Same for me and Voldy

I think that most crushes on fictional characters are ok, unless the fangirl goes into depression because their crush isn't really and refuses to date or anything because they're waiting for Harry Potter to fall in love with them, that would be weird and dangerous . But I think most of us are safe

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old September 21st, 2008, 5:20 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
at that time, I was like really confused and depressed and didn't know where I was going in life so i had like no hopes or dreams and didn't really see the point of life, and then HBP came out and reading about Voldy was like the perfect medicine. Of course, I'm not too sure how good it is for everyone else that my hero is Voldy....but he helped me at least
Its amazing how good books and great characters can bring a happy moment making us forget all the real life troubles
If Voldy helped you out, he sure is your hero( Though I still wonder how...)

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"

Rita Skeeter was here
Old September 22nd, 2008, 12:49 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
Its amazing how good books and great characters can bring a happy moment making us forget all the real life troubles
If Voldy helped you out, he sure is your hero( Though I still wonder how...)
Well, the reason I felt depressed was because I didn't feel like there was anything to live for and our world was a sad depressing place and well, I kind of base myself around Voldy. Even back then I was kind of like him and it was kind of like a push in the right direction. Everyone's hero is different based on their personality. For example, I would never have Harry Potter as my hero. His power and heroism works for him and countless fans, but he's not someone I really care about.

My Deviantart Account

Old September 23rd, 2008, 2:29 am
Second Year

Quote:
Same for me and Voldy

I think that most crushes on fictional characters are ok, unless the fangirl goes into depression because their crush isn't really and refuses to date or anything because they're waiting for Harry Potter to fall in love with them, that would be weird and dangerous . But I think most of us are safe
I agree, that would be weird and dangerous, I'm not that in love with Neville, and I doubt that you're that in love with Voldemort, I wouldn't get into depression because he is'nt real, ......... but is it possible to be that in love with a ficonal character?

"It is our choices that show who we truely are, far more than our abilities." -Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, page 333

"After all this time?"
"Always."

Old September 23rd, 2008, 2:48 am
Secret Keeper

I suppose it's possible, but that would be dangerous behavior. Well, I love Voldemort as a character but I do have different thing I would look for in a boyfriend and eventually husband. And well...Voldy wouldn't be my first choice . Not that he isn't awesome, but the whole unable to love thing is not good . Either way, me loving him has had the very opposite effect of making me happier, focused and not depressed.

I do have a friend who like super obsessed with Edward. Her life's ambition is to become a vampire, and she doesn't say it like a joke, her tone is like totally serious and she looks totally serious. She was actually depressed for a period because he wasn't real and boys like him are like one in a million. I hope she'll grow out of it....I think she's getting better because she is now also obsessed with the Jonas Brothers . Oh well, she's out of the danger zone anyways

My Deviantart Account

Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:54 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Well sometimes I do yell at Jane Austen and feel sad that Mr. Darcy doesnt exist...
But I pretty much get over it

Rita Skeeter was here
Old September 27th, 2008, 2:09 am
Second Year

Quote:
I suppose it's possible, but that would be dangerous behavior. Well, I love Voldemort as a character but I do have different thing I would look for in a boyfriend and eventually husband. And well...Voldy wouldn't be my first choice . Not that he isn't awesome, but the whole unable to love thing is not good . Either way, me loving him has had the very opposite effect of making me happier, focused and not depressed.

I do have a friend who like super obsessed with Edward. Her life's ambition is to become a vampire, and she doesn't say it like a joke, her tone is like totally serious and she looks totally serious. She was actually depressed for a period because he wasn't real and boys like him are like one in a million. I hope she'll grow out of it....I think she's getting better because she is now also obsessed with the Jonas Brothers . Oh well, she's out of the danger zone anyways

I know that the whole "unable to love" thing isn't good. My love for Neville will never go that far.

I'm glad that Voldemort made you happy, and that you are not depressed.

She was actually depressing? thats really weird, how old is she? well . . . . . . . I'm glad she's getting over it.

"After all this time?"
"Always."

Old September 27th, 2008, 2:15 am
Secret Keeper

she's probably 14, she's not much older than i am

My Deviantart Account

Old September 27th, 2008, 3:02 am
Fourth Year

I get crushes on fictional characters all the time Often though it sucks because real life guys just can't compare to the perfection of some of these characters. Recent fictional crushes are Edward Cullen (duh), Harry Dresden (), Mr. Knightley (), Aragorn, and Legolas to name just a few

Old September 27th, 2008, 6:58 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBuccalo View Post
I get crushes on fictional characters all the time Often though it sucks because real life guys just can't compare to the perfection of some of these characters. Recent fictional crushes are Edward Cullen (duh), Harry Dresden (), Mr. Knightley (), Aragorn, and Legolas to name just a few
That's totally true!!!! (especially at my age when all the guys are totally perverted....)

My Deviantart Account

Old September 27th, 2008, 9:47 pm
Fourth Year

I used to get crushes on fictional characters all the time when I was younger, but recently it was something I stopped doing. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but I am having some problems with people in real life right now and if I can't like people in real life, how can I like fictional people?

Old September 27th, 2008, 9:51 pm
Secret Keeper

for me, it's If I don't like fictional people, how can I like real people .

My Deviantart Account

Old September 28th, 2008, 4:06 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

I don't think that I've ever had a crush on a fictional character and I don't quite understand the concept. Could somebody explain it to me?

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old September 28th, 2008, 6:00 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Ermm..well you just fall in love with the character so very much*cough*Mr.Darcy* that you wish he was real or you were in the story with him.It pretty much depends on how well written the characters are..
SYMPTOM:
Re-reading the book, or more specifically the charcter's scenes and lines for more than a100 times
CONSEQUENCES:
Yelling at the author who wrote the character because he doesnt exist.
Getting unrealistic expectations in real life.
At times liking fictional characters who dont exist more than men who do exist
At times feeling that none of the real men around are as good as the fictional character.

But then again, if you're not accustomed to it, all this probably sounds very weird.

Rita Skeeter was here
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction