Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Are we too old for Harry Potter?

Old August 26th, 2010, 7:08 pm
First Year

Re: Are we too old for Harry Potter?

I dont think you can put an age limit on the HP series. Although many would think as it's about witches and wizards at school it would be classed as child fiction but they are well written and hit on many adult issues aswell so caters for everyone

Old August 27th, 2010, 12:33 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallowseeker25 View Post
I dont think you can put an age limit on the HP series. Although many would think as it's about witches and wizards at school it would be classed as child fiction but they are well written and hit on many adult issues aswell so caters for everyone
Definitely... it's a book for people of all ages. Even though it's about witches and wizards -- like you said it deals with adult issues as well. So it's one that a lot of people can relate to.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old August 30th, 2010, 2:11 am
First Year

well i'm 21 going to be 22 and i love harry potter. I'm going in july 2011 to see the final part in scotland with the hpfantrips group ^_^

Old August 30th, 2010, 8:41 pm
First Year

Concidering how old some people in the HP series are I think noone who is under the age of 665 can consider themselves too old. Hence forth, anyone who has not reached triple digit age range can no longer state they are too old for HP! Heck even if your under quad digit age range your still young enough, so get out there and get a copy now!

Old August 31st, 2010, 12:08 am
Third Year

Books are to be enjoyed at any age. No way at all will anyone ever be too old to read something they love.

If anyone tells me that I am too old for HP, that it is a children's book, I am going to tell them a condensed version of the Battle of Hogwarts. Then they can tell me it is a children's book.

CoS|Pottermore
ThestralStorm121 is two sides of a coin.
Old August 31st, 2010, 2:00 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockworthy View Post
Books are to be enjoyed at any age. No way at all will anyone ever be too old to read something they love.

If anyone tells me that I am too old for HP, that it is a children's book, I am going to tell them a condensed version of the Battle of Hogwarts. Then they can tell me it is a children's book.
I agree! People don't like to believe that people OF ALL ages can like the same books! My dad likes the Percy Jackson series- and they're 12 in the book! So there's a good example. And Harry Potter dissolves into seriousness too!

"You foul, loathsome, evil, COCKROACH!!!" ~Hermione Granger, Prisoner of Azkaban

:indy:Abby:indy:
Very proud GRYFFINDOR!
Old August 31st, 2010, 2:08 am
Second Year

Never too old for something as amazing as Harry Potter

When you 'bless my cotton socks,' please don't bless my cotton socks.

I wear Gold - Plated, diamond encrusted ones!

So indeed, it should be....'Bless your gold - plated, diamond encrusted socks'.

Toodles.

Proud member of GSWIA! (Guys Sound Wow with an Irish Accent!)
Old August 31st, 2010, 2:28 am
Second Year

I have been reading Harry Potter since I was seven, I am now sixteen and I am known basically as "That HP Obsessed Junior" [I have a Dumbledore's Army backpack] . . . I have never ONCE been told I am too old for Harry Potter and I doubt anyone could be too old. HP has a magic all its own, you know? It's perfect for kids! When you're a teenager you see a lot you missed! And as a young adult connections just seem to make more sense, and you stop seeing things at face value and realize that Jo has a serious gift with foreshadowing, plots, and double meanings so it works for kids and older people.

Jo is a great writer; HP is a great story; no one will ever be too old to read and enjoy it.

That's my half a cent. ^^

www.wizardinglife.com

"What do you mean I'm not brave in bed?!"
-Harry Potter [OTP]

"Accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often."
-Albus Dumbledore [HBP]
Old August 31st, 2010, 3:21 am
First Year

Strangely, the Harry Potter books become more enjoyable for me the older I get. I'm 19 now, going on 20, and as I get older I begin to understand the meaning and significance of things that went right over my head when I was younger, and this seems to happen every year when I reread the books or different chapters from the books. I also think that the themes and lessons that these books teach go RIGHT over kids' heads.

Old August 31st, 2010, 4:30 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28undermyspell View Post
Strangely, the Harry Potter books become more enjoyable for me the older I get. I'm 19 now, going on 20, and as I get older I begin to understand the meaning and significance of things that went right over my head when I was younger, and this seems to happen every year when I reread the books or different chapters from the books. I also think that the themes and lessons that these books teach go RIGHT over kids' heads.

That's EXACTLY what happens every time I read them too!

www.wizardinglife.com

"What do you mean I'm not brave in bed?!"
-Harry Potter [OTP]

"Accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often."
-Albus Dumbledore [HBP]
Old August 31st, 2010, 4:49 pm
First Year

No Way!!! You can never be too old for Harry Potter!!!
I first started reading the books when I was seven, almost ten years ago and it's still a huge part of my life. When I was younger I loved the books sheerly for the face-value entertainment, witches and wizards and magical creatures, but now when I re-read them I can really appreciate them. There are so many issues explored in these books which are relevant to real life. Even now I'm still picking up on things I missed before. I know plenty of adult Harry Potter fans and they can all appreciate just how well the books are written. As a child you enjoy the books purely for the storyline and characters, but as you continue reading them as you grow older you enjoy them so much more when you understand the true meanings behind what she writes.
The books are timeless!! You're never too old.

"I don't believe in the kind of magic in my books.

But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."

J.K. Rowling

Old August 31st, 2010, 5:07 pm
First Year

No!! Definitely not. As the books go on they get much darker and we get older so we understand whats going on if that makes sense. So if you were 8 when you read the first book then you might be around 18 when you read the last book. The first book is pretty much meant for anyone. From really small kids to adults. But later in the series its meant for much older kids and adults. I actually see way more teenage fans than little kid fans. You can never be too old for HP

Old August 31st, 2010, 6:13 pm
First Year

No way am I too old for HP, I would be super angry if anyone dared tell me that! Even though I have always been a good reader from a young age, I think I would have struggled with some of the later books if I had been a child when I read them. I was (and still am) in my 20's reading them and still had to re-read some bits that I didn't quite understand. I generally prefer books aimed at younger audiences, I'm definatly not a 'chick-lit' person!

Old September 2nd, 2010, 7:19 am
First Year

Most of the people that claim that the book is for kids only cite the fact that it's mainly set in a boarding school and the main characters are children... and that's all they say. So... if books are only for the demographic they're written about, we'd best all stop ourselves from reading this. And Lord of the Rings; that book is clearly written for Hobbits.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 8:30 am
Second Year

My husband only read Roald Dahl in the past year. I read HP since less than a year ago. And our older son, only 8 had finished 7 books in a few months not long ago.

I never felt too old for HP.

Winky45

Old September 2nd, 2010, 9:24 pm
First Year

I don't think it's possible to ever be too old for Harry Potter. The series really does have something for everyone. And I know I will still be reading them and talking about them when I'm 50. It's just one of those timeless things. I am in love with Harry Potter, and I never expect that to change.

PROUD GRYFFINDOR
Old September 2nd, 2010, 9:27 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28undermyspell View Post
That's me as well! The more I reread them, the more I get out of them.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 2:56 am
Fourth Year

The books are a retelling of the Nazi Germany story. I wouldn't exactly say it's possible to be "too old" for them.

Old September 6th, 2010, 6:37 pm
First Year

My 17 year old sister chuckles whenever I talk about the books, but she's read them as well. I ask everyone I meet if they've read the series, but not many have. I was pleasantly surprised to learn a neighbor of ours is also as obsessive as I am, so I'm looking forward to heading around to hers to have a discussion one night after the kids are sleeping. I don't think you can be too old for HP. I will be reading them until the day I die.

"These belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal.
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil."
Old September 10th, 2010, 1:51 pm
First Year

are we too old... wow what a question.. im 29 years old and my adventure with HP started 7 years ago.. but I just started to read them about a month ago and love em... Heres a brief history of my lil adventure.. i posted this in the HOW WHEN HOW OLD thread so ill just copy and paste here.. I feel a little lazy today to retype it all over again lol...

Ok... let me start with

How: I was actually in Iraq, 2003, when a co-soldier introduced me to the book... I put it away in a box and didnt run into it again until I came back home... I regret doing that now.. These books would have been my best friends out there in the sand box...

When: 2010 7 years later I was going through my book collection and found my dusty old book that was given to me while I was in Iraq.... I started to read it and have not been able to put it down since...

Age: 29 now... 22 when I first was introduced to the books...

Like i said.. earlier.. If I would have known how great these books were I would have read them over and over again while in Iraq... I always thought of them as being a kids book/series, but after reading them, I see that everyone could enjoy them.

J.K. Rowling has a gift of writing that really sucks you right into her imaginary world.

Cant wait to finish reading the rest of them... I now read them to my kids

im new to the site so feel free and drop me a owl

Jason aka EagleClaw

RAVENCLAW...Where just knowing something is not enough.. you must master it!!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak