Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime

Bleach: The Manga and Anime

Old July 6th, 2007, 6:13 pm
Third Year

Re: Bleach: The Manga and Anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
Like you said, he does have this thing about refusing to show his bankai...now that would be interesting to see, since we'd have to really delve into his character to learn more about him. Since this hasn't happened in the manga (I'm assuming), then I doubt it's going to happen in the next ep.
They already explained why Ikkaku is hiding his bankai - he does not want to be promoted because he wants to die fighting under Kenpachi.

Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2007, 6:19 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyma View Post
They already explained why Ikkaku is hiding his bankai - he does not want to be promoted because he wants to die fighting under Kenpachi.
But why? To me, that's illogical and...well...weird. I'd like to have more insight as to why.

Old July 6th, 2007, 6:49 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
But why? To me, that's illogical and...well...weird. I'd like to have more insight as to why.
As far as we know, Kenpachi is the first one to ever defeat Ikkaku, thus it is normal that the latter would have immense respect for him. I think that apart from all the reverence and admiration that Ikkaku feels for Kenpachi, there is also a sense of debt, dishonor, and intrigue - Kenpachi could have rightfully killed him, but by refusing to do so, he made Ikkaku live with the full knowledge of his loss.

So, to you, the no-holds-barred fighter mentality might seem flat and one-dimensional, but I think that ultimately, he is just a man happy doing what he loves. There is no reason to complicate his life (or rather, existence) with superfluous things when he is perfectly fine fighting hollows and drinking sake.

Last edited by Onyma; July 7th, 2007 at 2:38 am.
Old July 6th, 2007, 11:58 pm
Seventh Year

I think it might be a difference of the genders because the first time I watched the background episode with ikkaku, I immediately got why he didn't want to be promoted. I mean the kid captain playing soccer was more outlandish than ikkaku staying at his current rank. He doesn't care about influence or power, just the thrill of fighting and battle.

And I don't think that Kenpachi is the strongest in gotei, I mean the high commander was pretty clearly more powerful than any other of the captains. Plus I believe they establish that sicky and shunsui are about tied for the second most powerful in captaincy.

Old July 7th, 2007, 2:36 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealDJ View Post
I think it might be a difference of the genders because the first time I watched the background episode with ikkaku, I immediately got why he didn't want to be promoted. I mean the kid captain playing soccer was more outlandish than ikkaku staying at his current rank. He doesn't care about influence or power, just the thrill of fighting and battle.
I don't know whether you addressed that to me, because I'm a woman and I'm pretty clear on why Ikkaku does not want to leave the 11th squad. However, I find your reasoning a little off: Ikkaku doesn't care about influence or power, that is true, but as much as fighting is his primum mobile, Kenpachi is not a factor you should easily discard. He was the first man to defeat him; he was the one who influenced him to get stronger; he changed his outlook on losing. It is because of him that Ikkaku entered the Gotei in the first place.

Quote:
I don't think that Kenpachi is the strongest in gotei, I mean the high commander was pretty clearly more powerful than any other of the captains. Plus I believe they establish that sicky and shunsui are about tied for the second most powerful in captaincy.
I did not say that Kenpachi is the strongest in the Gotei; I mistakenly said that Ikkaku is the second strongest man - which he is within his own squad. My mistake, I'll edit it.

Old July 7th, 2007, 8:46 am
Seventh Year

Oh sorry. You may wanna fill out your gender so that it shows that female icon. I retract my statement.

Yeah by your statement I assumed since ikkaku lost to kenpachi that you meant for kenpachi to be the strongest. But ofcourse shikai Ichigo>kenpachi but weaker than Byakuya, so Byakuya should be stronger than kenpachi and ikkaku.

Old July 7th, 2007, 3:27 pm
Third Year

You have to remember that Ikkaku was not using his full powers, though. Also, I forget if Renji managed to defeat Byakuya, and as far as I remember, Ikkaku>Renji (pre-bankai Renji, but I cannot see Ikkaku losing to him even if Renji's bankai came out). Really, this is one of the problems I have with Bleach. Everyone is so mindnumbingly strong, but it is almost impossible to get an accurate portrayal of who the strongest one is.

Also, going back to the Captain Commander -- wouldn't Aizen be more powerful than him?

Old July 7th, 2007, 6:22 pm
Fourth Year

HUGE SPOILER ALERT:
Spoiler: show
ichigo is the strongest

As for the latest episode. HUGE improvement over the one before it, animation was sharp, matsumoto went back to her teasing self, and it was shown that hitsugaya can be badass even when hes playing soccer with elementary kids.

Sure it had nothing to do with the plot, so it had less of a meaning than the one before it, but this episode was about 10000x more enjoyable to watch than the whole shouta arc.

HUGE SPOILER ALERT:
Spoiler: show
ichigo is the strongest
just had to reiterate

Old July 7th, 2007, 9:32 pm
Seventh Year

Well we're focusing on captains here. And the high commander is stronger than aizen atleast before aizen ditched the squads. All the high commander has to do is take out his sword, have it go bankai and I'm sure that all the world would be incinerated with everyone but him destroyed. Don't get me wrong, aizen has cleverness and wit on his side so in the plot of things I'm sure aizen's plans would more than outmanuever the high commander, but in a direct fight 1v1, aizen would lose.

And yeah the style of ikkaku would force him to lose against byakuya. The billion blades would totally devastate him before he could get close enough to strike byakuya. And then there's speed, there's no way ikkaku is fast enough to even keep up with him. Ichigo was only able to have the advantage because of the way his bankai was created. But in the end, as long as one can cut the other, speed always has the advantage.

But I do agree with you that there's power levelling issues with animes like Bleach or DBZ which makes no sense in the end and make it hard to gauge power levels. Its why I like naruto because its not built like that. A genin could theoretically defeat the hokage if he was really really lucky.

Old July 7th, 2007, 10:23 pm
Third Year

Unfortunately, I don't watch Naruto and Dragon Ball Z, so I don't know what you're referring to. But back to Bleach, yes, Byakuya has incredible speed, and theoretically, the thousands of virtually invisible blades should have a huge destructive power; but from what we've actually witnessed, his bankai does not cause that much harm at all. If Ichigo was able to withstand its full force while hanging from a cliff and sustain only a couple of cuts, it's not something I would call lethal.

I don't think this necessarily means Ikkaku would defeat Byakuya, I'm just pointing out further inconsistencies.

Also, Aizen stopped Tensa Zangetsu with a single finger. Tensa Zangetsu stopped the Soukyoku. Soukyoku has the power of, what, a hundred bankai? That makes Aizen's power pretty impressive, and I'm willing to bet he is stronger than Captain Commander. Otherwise, why didn't the latter stop him?

Last edited by Onyma; July 7th, 2007 at 10:31 pm.
Old July 7th, 2007, 11:52 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Looking back on Bleach's series, most of the characters do seem a bit too strong. I just hope that it doesn't get incredibly "DBZ" like, although, for DBZ, that wasn't too surprising where Goku was concerned. "Every time a Saiya-jin loses, he gets stronger" or some madness.

Anywho, as I was saying, I never really noticed the inconsistencies til I just sat and thought about it. I do agree with TheRealDJ on the Naruto point. No one seems to be overly powerful, unless the person is on a high level anyway...although, Anbu on there sucks big time and they're supposed to be incredibly strong.

Anyway, I just hope that Bleach doesn't get like DBZ did filler wise. I do not want to suffer through an arc similar to the "canon arcs" of DBZ. Extended fights, extended (unnecessary) dialogue for fights, etc., just so that the manga can stay ahead. I hope that Bleach stays the way it is filler wise. Toss in short, to the point, somewhat pointless, yet, sometimes, entertaining filler eps...don't extend a key point for a canon arc. *Shudders* I still cry whenever I think of the entire Namek arc, especially with that final fight against Freiza.

Last edited by SSJ_Jup81; July 7th, 2007 at 11:54 pm.
Old July 8th, 2007, 12:27 am
Seventh Year

Yeah its the one thing is where the nameless ninja are always underpowered. I mean you never see the generic ninja that invaded konoha use techniques. But on the other side, all of the konoha 11 remain on pretty equal levels, even where naruto has the 9 tails or frs, they still are pretty equal. Sasuke was the only one who power leveled but they fixed that recently in the manga.

But with bleach, a 3rd seat officer has no chance against a lieutenant, and a lt has no chance against a captain. And then chad has no chance against anyone at this point(but I don't like him anyways).

Going back to aizen, it was actually regular zangetsu that stopped sokyouku(sp), but again there are power levelling issues. And zangetsu stopped that when it really wasn't going at full strike since it was just trying to touch ichigo's gal pal. I also think the high commander was caught off guard by the menos using that light on aizen. I think he thought aizen had no where to escape to which is why he didn't try striking him first since he wanted answers on what was going on. But considering the high commander is so powerful that he basicly made a lt comatose just by looking into his eyes, I think his power is far above what we've seen aizen be able to do. Don't get me wrong, aizen would give a really good fight, but I still think the high commander is stronger.

Old July 8th, 2007, 4:57 pm
Third Year

Oh God, you're right, it was a regular Zangetsu. I feel so senile.

On the other hand, nothing was ever said to suggest that the Kikou was subduing its power in order to reach Rukia only. And whether diminished or not, the force of a hundred bankai is nothing to laugh at.

Old July 8th, 2007, 5:03 pm
First Year

um isn't this supposed to be a Harry Potter site?

Old July 8th, 2007, 7:31 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Into_The_Maze View Post
um isn't this supposed to be a Harry Potter site?
Reading the descriptions of the forums and the threads might prove illuminating.

Old July 9th, 2007, 2:36 am
Seventh Year

They mentioned that the soukyouku was reading for a more powerful attack that would've destroyed ichigo, but then shunsui and the other captain destroyed it before it could touch him again.

Old July 11th, 2007, 5:55 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
But with bleach, a 3rd seat officer has no chance against a lieutenant, and a lt has no chance against a captain. And then chad has no chance against anyone at this point
what u hate about that, i love about that. It sets a definitive hierarchy and easily divides who should take what assignment.

Unlike naruto, where even with their ranking system, everyone is basically on the same level. it shouldnt be like that. There should be strong people and weak people, and the weak people have to actually do something amazing to best the strong people, not fluke out.

thats like a black belt getting served by a whitebelt. It should NEVER happen regardless of the situation. You could say the blackbelt was a 14 year old kid, and the white belt was a 25 year old man... if the kid cant take the man, he shouldnt be a blackbelt.

If the captain cant take the vice captain, he shouldnt be a captain

Old July 11th, 2007, 2:31 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

I guess, in this sense, Bleach is being realistic. I doubt a "white belt" would be able to beat a "black belt", unless said black belt is incredibly old, and hadn't done any type of training for like 30 years or something and was incredibly rusty, but even that's a bit unbelievable. Either way, I never thought much of it, to be honest.

As for Naruto....I still find it sad how weak ANBU is, though. They're supposed to have so much experience and skill; with the way they've "lost", Konohamaru and his group could probably beat them all... Okay, exaggeration, but you know where I'm going with this.

Old July 12th, 2007, 3:20 am
Fourth Year

Haha yah i know what you mean but we'll leave naruto for that thread before we get locked for off topicness....

Question... i kinda skipped the first two episodes of bleach and never bothered to watch them... why was rukia in kurakara town (or w/e its called) cause later they showed it was just some regular nobody shinigami patrolling it, what was a vice captain doing down there?

Old July 12th, 2007, 4:33 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

I think she was after a Hollow, then she got injured badly, and she met Ichigo, and gave him Shinigami powers.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Anime