Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What would you change about the films?

Old August 7th, 2011, 3:00 am
Third Year

Re: What would you change about the films?

PS and CoS stand well as they are, IMO, so I wouldn't change anything there.

PoA completely missed the point of the whole story- the Marauders' backstory. It might help Harry to know why his Patronus is a stag and why Sirius and Peter (and James) are Animagi.

GoF completely fails to explain Barty Crouch Jr.'s role. Winky was necessary, but would have helped a lot. Plus, Voldemort's speech is severely shortened and while Fiennes is the perfect Voldemort, that scene felt rushed and wasn't as powerful as it should have been.

OotP should have included Percy's row with Mr. Weasley. I'm actually fine with all of the changes made in this movie and though it was disappointing not seeing Harry destroying all of Dumbledore's possessions, I think everything was pretty well explained.

HBP might have benefited if they had included more of Voldemort's backstory. If they didn't want to do it through the Pensieve, which would involve more casting for what would have been cameo roles, Dumbledore could have just explained it to Harry. It was my favorite part of HBP and the story needs this info. And I wouldn't have burned down the Burrow; that was just a big mistake.

DH1 is pretty close to perfect. I wouldn't change anything there.

DH2- I'd have Harry repair his own wand and bury the Elder Wand in Dumbledore's tomb. I didn't like him snapping the wand because it almost diminished the wand's power.

Overall, I'd have a stronger connection among the trio. From PoA onward it seems like Harry and Hermione are better friends and Ron is always in the background or made to be Harry's "sidekick." They're called "the trio" for a reason- their friendship is a based on a strong bond among all of them.

Harry and Ginny's relationship could have been fleshed out more as well. HBP doesn't make it look like they're in a relationship at all. Ron and Hermione are better portrayed in DH2 in which they seem to progress through a relationship in a few hours.

Hufflepuff Pride
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2011, 3:39 am
Sixth Year

I would have included more details from the books.

:: POTTERMORE INFO ::
NAME: CloakWing
HOUSE: Gryffindor
WAND: Cypress, 13 3/4 in., Phoenix Feather Core, Surprisingly Swishy
Old August 7th, 2011, 6:14 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio182 View Post
I would have added 'Peeves' the poltergeist! he was such a funny character! Sirius should have been more important, I reckon people that don't read the books didn't even get attached to him as much as we did. Snape should have also been in more scenes in the movies, he was so under rated throughout the whole series. The first film should have been longer. And I would put more Quidditch scenes, and if I could change all Half-Blood Prince I would, that was a terrible movie!
Me too, I love Peeves. I read somewhere that they cast Rik Mayall and shot some scenes with him but Cris Colombus decided it wasn't working and cut him. I was really upset as I think Mayall would have made a great Peeves. I love his songs (Voldy's gone mouldy, so now let's have fun and Looney, loopy Lupin) and every single time I read the part where he calls Dumbledore Professorhead I almost die laughing.

I would have liked to see more of Dobby- esp his tower of hats in OOTP. I think his death seemed a little forced (my hubby hasn't read the books and never got the big fuss) as you never really saw how many times he showed up help Harry when he needed him.

Old August 7th, 2011, 12:21 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaminx View Post
Me too, I love Peeves. I read somewhere that they cast Rik Mayall and shot some scenes with him but Cris Colombus decided it wasn't working and cut him. I was really upset as I think Mayall would have made a great Peeves. I love his songs (Voldy's gone mouldy, so now let's have fun and Looney, loopy Lupin) and every single time I read the part where he calls Dumbledore Professorhead I almost die laughing.

I would have liked to see more of Dobby- esp his tower of hats in OOTP. I think his death seemed a little forced (my hubby hasn't read the books and never got the big fuss) as you never really saw how many times he showed up help Harry when he needed him.
I think one reason they didn't include Peeves is that SS came out a couple years after the first Star Wars prequel and there may have been a concern that Peeves could turn into another Jar Jar.

Old August 7th, 2011, 12:55 pm
Second Year

Only i would make them about 5 hours longer.
Is all, thank you!

Old August 7th, 2011, 1:09 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio182 View Post
I would have added 'Peeves' the poltergeist! he was such a funny character! Sirius should have been more important, I reckon people that don't read the books didn't even get attached to him as much as we did. Snape should have also been in more scenes in the movies, he was so under rated throughout the whole series. The first film should have been longer. And I would put more Quidditch scenes, and if I could change all Half-Blood Prince I would, that was a terrible movie!
Yes, Rik Mayall was meant to paly him. I heard that he never told his children that he was cut from it, and they thought he was Hagrid

Old August 7th, 2011, 9:44 pm
First Year

First of all, I would like to say that every film except the first two would have greatly benefited from an extra 20-30 minuets. I really don't understand why WB doesn't want any of the films to exceed 3 hours. The LOTR films were around 3 hours and that's not including the extended editions!

PS/COS - Very faithful to the books but very lacking in the great cinematography that the subsequent films have. But really that's my only complaint.

POA - My second favorite Potter film. Could have explained the marauders story, only a few extra minuets. Also could have explained a bit more about the whole secret keeper concept. Also they could have put the firebolt in earlier... that ending mugshot of Harry flying into the sky is just stupid and by far the worst ending.

GOF - My Least favorite Potter film... by far. My main problem with this one is the comedy. Too much comedy, and none of it is funny! The whole film just feels really... stupid! This film is definitely a massive step back from POA. Alfonso Cauron should have directed it because everything is just too cheesy and annoying.

My next problem with this movie is Michael Gambon's Portrayal of Dumbledore. While I prefer him overall to Harris due to his massive improvement in HBP and DH2 I just can't stand him in this movie. Dumbledore is always supposed to stay calm and in control. In this he actually shouts at Harry which is really out of character.

Next up is what they left out... Dobby really needed to be left in even if it was just one scene because it lessens his importance in DH1. More back story about Barty Crouch/JR would also have been important. Now the most important thing they left out is Fudge not believing Harry and a better delivery of the "Everything's going to change" speech as this really represents a turning point in the series.

OOTP - Ok, I love OOTP but I think that it is a crime to make the longest book of the series into the second shortest. I hate how they show that time has passed by the newspaper articles I think that they could have really fleshed out the story a bit more by including Rita Sceeter, Dobby and showing more of Kreacher. Also Weasley is our king would have been a nice edition but meh.

HPB: I really like HPB because I think it has the perfect balance between character development and story progression. I think that they could have showed more of the Tom Riddle memories just to expand on Voldermort's character and also to explain how Harry finds out about the location of the horcruxes rather than him just dreaming about them.

DH1: Fairly faithful, but Lupin really needed to be developed a bit more. Also Lily's letter would have been nice and maybe an explanation about the mirror.
oh and why didn't Wormtail die?

DH2: More attention could have been directed towards the deaths and also Harry should have fixed his wand with the Elder wand and then snapped it.

That is all :P

Old August 8th, 2011, 10:01 pm
Third Year

I think I would only really make minor changes really. Sometimes the script doesn't always match up to previous films and stuff so I would fix that but there are a few other scenes I would change as well:

I can't really think of anything I'd change in the first two films. They weren't perfect films but they did the books justice I think.

PoA
- I probably would have told 'Eyebrows' Watson to tone it down a bit (goes for GoF and OotP too)
- I'd probably not show the Whomping Willow so much, even if I can understand why it was included.
- Not end with the freeze frame.

GoF:
- Cut out the bit where Karkaroff goes into the Great Hall when the Goblet is there. What was the point of that scene?
- The wand cores were mentioned in PS but I think it would have been good if Dumbledore said that was why Priori Incantatem happened.
- Not have Dumbledore so angry when Harry's name came out of the Goblet.
- Take Harry and Ron to the barbers for a hair cut.

OotP
- Make Harry shout if you're going to include Fred and George telling him they heard his dulcet tones and not to bottle up his anger.
- Have Cho cry when she kissed Harry or take that line out altogether.

HBP
- Change the line where Harry told McGonagall that she told him he needed an O in his Potions OWL to 'I thought I had to get an O in my OWL' or something like that.

DH1:
- Cut out the bit where Harry looked at the mirror in Privet Drive and have him pick it up in Grimmauld Place instead. Not strictly book canon but it would make better sense in the context of the films, and he did get it in there in the books.
- I don't think Ron met Dobby in the films so I'd cut out their handshake in Grimmauld Place.
- I don't think it's very clear what's happening when Harry sees into Voldemort's mind at the start so I'd fix that up a wee bit.

DH2:
- Give a plausible explanation of how Snape knew Harry and Hermione where in the Forest of Dean when he left the sword for them.
- Have Harry tell Voldemort he was the master of Elder Wand, although I did like the reveal on the bridge.
- Show Voldemort's rebounding curse a bit better, I don't think its really clear what happened there.
- Better reaction in general to Voldemort's defeat would have been good too.
- Some kind of explanation as to why Harry didn't die. Kings Cross was so disappointing in the film. I'd cut out the bit where Harry called after Dumbledore too. I think by that stage he was too grown up to do that .

I think I'd try and handle the horcrux and hallows element a bit better too.
- I liked how Voldemort knew when the Horcruxes were destroyed but would he not have felt the locket or ring and therefore known they were being hunted sooner?
- Harry can hear horcruxes but didn't know about the diary back in CoS or Nagini in Godric's Hollow?
- I'd probably have mentioned the cloak somewhere too, it was pretty much forgotten about despite the name of the film :/

Last edited by Miss_Gaunt; August 8th, 2011 at 10:10 pm.
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:03 pm
Second Year

I tried to stop comparing the films to the books, because I just got frustrated (and it's better for my mental health to see them as an addition to the books), but one thing that I really don't get is why the Burrow burned down in HBP. That just made no sense at all.

Wand: Larch, Unicorn Core, 10 3/4, Slightly Yielding
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:57 pm
Second Year

In HBP, I would take out the scene where Ron's house is burned and add more memories about Voldemort. In OOTP, I would have added more details, developed the characters more, and made it darker. In DH2, I would add some resolution to the deathly hallows plot line (and so much more). In DH1, I would make sure Dobby's voice didn't sound so weird. Finally, I would change the second actor who plays Dumbledore.

Old August 8th, 2011, 11:30 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvDarkMarks View Post
PS and CoS stand well as they are, IMO, so I wouldn't change anything there.

PoA completely missed the point of the whole story- the Marauders' backstory. It might help Harry to know why his Patronus is a stag and why Sirius and Peter (and James) are Animagi.

GoF completely fails to explain Barty Crouch Jr.'s role. Winky was necessary, but would have helped a lot. Plus, Voldemort's speech is severely shortened and while Fiennes is the perfect Voldemort, that scene felt rushed and wasn't as powerful as it should have been.

OotP should have included Percy's row with Mr. Weasley. I'm actually fine with all of the changes made in this movie and though it was disappointing not seeing Harry destroying all of Dumbledore's possessions, I think everything was pretty well explained.

HBP might have benefited if they had included more of Voldemort's backstory. If they didn't want to do it through the Pensieve, which would involve more casting for what would have been cameo roles, Dumbledore could have just explained it to Harry. It was my favorite part of HBP and the story needs this info. And I wouldn't have burned down the Burrow; that was just a big mistake.

DH1 is pretty close to perfect. I wouldn't change anything there.

DH2- I'd have Harry repair his own wand and bury the Elder Wand in Dumbledore's tomb. I didn't like him snapping the wand because it almost diminished the wand's power.

Overall, I'd have a stronger connection among the trio. From PoA onward it seems like Harry and Hermione are better friends and Ron is always in the background or made to be Harry's "sidekick." They're called "the trio" for a reason- their friendship is a based on a strong bond among all of them.

Harry and Ginny's relationship could have been fleshed out more as well. HBP doesn't make it look like they're in a relationship at all. Ron and Hermione are better portrayed in DH2 in which they seem to progress through a relationship in a few hours.
Couldn't have explained it better

Proud Gryffindor
"Tell them how it happened that night! How you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you, and killed him!"
Old August 9th, 2011, 8:20 pm
First Year

General-All Movies
I don't know if anyone mentioned about this before but in movies, everybody -mostly- is wearing muggle clothes. Even in hogwarts! I really do not understand this. Wizards and witches wear robes, i mean- like all the time. Am i wrong?

Old August 12th, 2011, 12:53 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaster10 View Post
First of all, I would like to say that every film except the first two would have greatly benefited from an extra 20-30 minuets. I really don't understand why WB doesn't want any of the films to exceed 3 hours. The LOTR films were around 3 hours and that's not including the extended editions!
This was by far my biggest complaint. Every film could have been out of this world if they just added an extra 15-30 minutes. Every single film ended up at best choppy due to it. I am hoping that in another 15 years there will be a remake in complete 3D, and hopefully they will do a better job adapting the books than these did. LOTR did change some minor items, but by and large was quite faithful to the books.

I also was not completely pleased with either Dumbledore and would have not allowed Hermionee/Watson to stray so far from the books physical description of her character.

Old August 12th, 2011, 3:46 am
Fifth Year

- As far as directors go, I'd keep Cuaron and Yates, but have used someone other than Columbus and Newell. Perhaps Guillelermo del Toro.
- Considerably shorten the first and especially the second films. Both have plodding pacing.
- I'd have tightened the films by cutting out some extraneous characters. Show Tonks and Lupin wed in DH rather than Bill and Fleur, and have Harry stay with Tonks and Lupin in Shell Cottage (and see baby Teddy). Instead of introducing Katie Bell solely to be attacked, have Cho Chang take the necklace instead.
- Include more of Ron's shining moments (like standing up for Harry in the shrieking shack). Conversely, have Hermione not seem so perfect.
- Have Gambon act in the rest of the movies as he did in HBP.
- DH Pt 1 could have more dramatic weight, with Harry doubting Dumbledore's intentions and being tempted by the hallows.
- The broken mirror shard should have been one of the objects Dumbledore bequeaths to Harry in his will. As it is, it's extremely confusing to non-readers.
- The Tom Riddle background was the most interesting part of the HBP book and should have been included a bit more. Maybe not whole pensieve scenes, but at least a montage of Riddle's time at Hogwarts and hunting horcrux objects. Gaunts could be cut though.
- While DH worked well enough split (making for a very exciting exciting 2nd part), I still suspect it would have made one really epic and coherent 3-hour movie, rather than a movie that's all setup plus a movie that's all climax. It could have worked if you have Harry discover the real locket in the cave, cutting out the Ministry heist.

Old August 12th, 2011, 6:52 pm
First Year

The whole lack of build up to the Ginny/Harry relationship has to be the main problem for me. I know people have criticised Bonnie Wright but I thought with more scenes in the later films the whole relationship would have seemed a lot more convincing. Personally I liked Bonnie as Ginny, I just felt more time would have benefited it.

The whole Quidditch scene where they first kiss was perfect in the books, I really wish they'd included that story line in HBP.

"Itís the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more."
Pottermore: DawnWolfsbane66
Old August 14th, 2011, 1:56 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddywestside View Post
General-All Movies
I don't know if anyone mentioned about this before but in movies, everybody -mostly- is wearing muggle clothes. Even in hogwarts! I really do not understand this. Wizards and witches wear robes, i mean- like all the time. Am i wrong?
Yeah, that struck me as weird too.
But then again, I never fully understood why wizards/witches seem to have trouble dressing as Muggles (in the books), because underneath their robes, they often seem to be wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

Wand: Larch, Unicorn Core, 10 3/4, Slightly Yielding
Old August 14th, 2011, 5:00 pm
Fifth Year

Cut Bill and Fleur and replace their wedding with Remus and Tonks' and also make Shell Cottage theirs too.

Proud Ravenclaw!

*No idea who made my avatar, but credit goes to whoever out there on the internet made it!
Old August 14th, 2011, 6:07 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasley9 View Post
Cut Bill and Fleur and replace their wedding with Remus and Tonks' and also make Shell Cottage theirs too.
Wait...what? So, basically, change the story from what was in the book?

Old August 14th, 2011, 6:18 pm
First Year

Lol, I'd make it exactly like the books, frame-by-frame, line-by-line, if it was possible.

But this:

Quote:

Totally.

Source: GryffSolider

POTTERMORE: SeerPatronus178
Proud Gryffindor
Just kidding! JK Rowling put me in Slytherin. Now time to accept my inner Slytherin...
Old August 14th, 2011, 6:57 pm
First Year

Prisoner of Askaban:
-Include the Marauders' backstory.

Goblet of Fire:
- Extend the third task scene in the Triwizard tournament to make it more exciting and have that real sense of danger that was felt in the book.
- Have Dobby give Harry the gillyweed for the second task instead of Neville.
- A better portrayal of Dumbledore by Michael Gambon and a better explanation of Priori Incantatem.

Order of the Phoenix:
- Show more of the Department of Mysteries.
- Have Harry throw Dumbledore's stuff around like he did in the book to emphasize how angry he was about Sirius' death.
- Have Dobby show Harry the Room of Requirement for the DA meetings.

Half-Blood Prince:
- More emphasis on Voldemort's backstory and less on the romance.
- Take out the beginning scene between Harry and the waitress and instead, include the part where Harry learns that he has inherited Grimmauld place and Kreacher from Sirius.
- Develop the relationship between Harry and Ginny in a better way.
- Cut out the scene where the Burrow is burned down.

Deathly Hallows: Part 1:
- Include Kreacher's Tale and Wormtail's death.

Deathly Hallows: Part 2:
- More explanation on the Deathly Hallows and why Harry survived.
- Include Dumbledore's backstory.
- Leave the part where Neville kills Nagini just like it is in the book.
- Include what Harry tells Voldemort before Voldemort dies and have a better reaction from everyone at Hogwarts once Harry defeats him.
- Have Harry fix his phoenix wand with the Elder Wand.

All in all, I would have added a bit more time to every movie after the first and second movies. Also, I wouldn't make Hermione do or say things that she didn't do or say in the books like for example, in Deathly Hallows: Part 2, she is seen as the one who has the idea of escaping from Gringotts on the dragon when it was really Harry who thought of that. Not to mention the lines that Ron has in the books which are said by Hermione in the movies.

Last edited by Dobbyfan619; August 14th, 2011 at 7:05 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies