Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What are your movie pet peeves?

Old October 21st, 2005, 7:43 am
Fifth Year

What are your movie pet peeves?

There are a lot of things that bother me about HP the movies, and I'm sure that there are things that bother you all. So what bothers you the most?

Here are my top 5:

1) The acting, as a whole, sucks. Sorry to all you Dan and Emma lovers, but I really do not think that the two can act. And with their characters being the 2 most important that just makes the whole movie horrible.
2) Everything is wrong. The miniscule details that are everywhere in the book are changed for the movies. I understand that some things have to be changed for adaption purposes, but when you change that much it just bothers me.
3) Most of the books are left out. Sure, there's the time issue, but I go see movies to enjoy them, not to watch the time while I'm in there. Just make them extra long. I'm sure all the HP fans wouldn't object to that.
4) They have changed the characters somewhat from how they are in the book. Just little things that I noticed that really bother me. Emma's hair isn't bushy. Did anyone else notice that at some points in the PoA movie there was no scar on Dan's forehead?
5) Some of the actors, to me, don't fit their characters. Most of them do, but some of them I think would do better in other roles or not there at all.

The question is not whether we are, but what we are and who we are. --from Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder

What if you slept? And what if, in your sleep, you dreamed? And what if, in your dream, you went to heaven and there plucked a strange and beautiful flower? And what if, when you awoke, you had the flower in your hand? Ah, what then? --from Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder

This is what I brought you this you can keep. This is what I brought you may forget me. I promise to depart just promise one thing. Kiss my eyes and lay me to sleep. --Prelude 12/21 by AFI

MySpace is love!
Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2005, 7:55 am
First Year

Dumbledore's hat, I really, really hate the new head master's hat.

Old October 21st, 2005, 9:28 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedgurltuja27
There are a lot of things that bother me about HP the movies, and I'm sure that there are things that bother you all. So what bothers you the most?

Here are my top 5:

1) The acting, as a whole, sucks. Sorry to all you Dan and Emma lovers, but I really do not think that the two can act. And with their characters being the 2 most important that just makes the whole movie horrible.
2) Everything is wrong. The miniscule details that are everywhere in the book are changed for the movies. I understand that some things have to be changed for adaption purposes, but when you change that much it just bothers me.
3) Most of the books are left out. Sure, there's the time issue, but I go see movies to enjoy them, not to watch the time while I'm in there. Just make them extra long. I'm sure all the HP fans wouldn't object to that.
4) They have changed the characters somewhat from how they are in the book. Just little things that I noticed that really bother me. Emma's hair isn't bushy. Did anyone else notice that at some points in the PoA movie there was no scar on Dan's forehead?
5) Some of the actors, to me, don't fit their characters. Most of them do, but some of them I think would do better in other roles or not there at all.
I agree with you,, but you don't have to be so hard on the actors cause they're doing the best they can.. And once you get used to them, They're not that bad at acting..

Old October 21st, 2005, 9:58 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaRTyGiRL089
I agree with you,, but you don't have to be so hard on the actors cause they're doing the best they can.. And once you get used to them, They're not that bad at acting..
I suppose---I just can't get used to them. I think the best I've seen from them is the SS movie. After that it's just gotten so predictable. I can read them way before anything happens.

The question is not whether we are, but what we are and who we are. --from Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder

What if you slept? And what if, in your sleep, you dreamed? And what if, in your dream, you went to heaven and there plucked a strange and beautiful flower? And what if, when you awoke, you had the flower in your hand? Ah, what then? --from Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder

This is what I brought you this you can keep. This is what I brought you may forget me. I promise to depart just promise one thing. Kiss my eyes and lay me to sleep. --Prelude 12/21 by AFI

MySpace is love!
Old October 21st, 2005, 10:07 am
Second Year

Yeah I agree with you there. The Movies were heaps different to what i expected.

Old October 21st, 2005, 11:51 am
Mrs Grawp

What really annoyes me is not so much the Cutting but the Adding thinks that were not in the books:
1. Neville fainting in Herbology (CoS). Please, scriptwriters READ ALL THE BOOKS before putting stupid suposed-to-be-funny-scenes in the movies
2. DD added quotes in PoA. What is all that dreams (great hall) and happyness (opening evening) stuff about, he is not like that?
3. The fat lady singing (PoA) WHY?

Leaving this kind of things out, they COULD have found the time to add the "unsignificant" fact that the marauders were James, Sirius, Lupin, Peter and that James was a stag animagus.

Oh, and of course, Ron beeing such a whiner. I won't say more, I believe there are threads about that already.

Last edited by guad; October 21st, 2005 at 11:54 am.
Old October 21st, 2005, 11:58 am
Second Year

All the movies are pretty terrible. None of them can act, a LOT of them don't suit the part at all, especially the new Dumbledore...don't know how they're gonna do him in the 5th and 6th movies... and yes, i agree, Hermione's hair annoys me the most! GRRRRR!!!!!! i hate soooo much about the movies... but i'm still gonna see them on the day they come out!!!! can't wait!!!! lol!

"The truth is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution."
Old October 21st, 2005, 12:30 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by erica_7
All the movies are pretty terrible. None of them can act, a LOT of them don't suit the part at all, especially the new Dumbledore...don't know how they're gonna do him in the 5th and 6th movies... and yes, i agree, Hermione's hair annoys me the most! GRRRRR!!!!!! i hate soooo much about the movies... but i'm still gonna see them on the day they come out!!!! can't wait!!!! lol!
I know what you mean....TOTALLY HP OBSESSED.

But some justice must be made to the actors, they are not all bad. Lupin is OK, I like the way Felton plays Draco (even if he is a little to good looking for beeing Draco) McGonnagal is good, Emma Watson is not bad and I LOVE Alan Rickman as Snape. But sorry, thats off topic.
I actually forgot something. I don't like Dobby.

Old October 21st, 2005, 2:01 pm
Second Year

I don't like Ron's character. This is mostly the screenwriter's fault, but couldn't the directors overule him so to speak?

Ayame--There are but three people in the entire world who can complete such fine embroidery in such a short time! Of course, number one is yours truly, who always thinks of his brother!!"--A conversation between Yuki and his older brother Ayame in Fruits basket #8!
Old October 21st, 2005, 2:39 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by guad
What really annoyes me is not so much the Cutting but the Adding thinks that were not in the books:
1. Neville fainting in Herbology (CoS). Please, scriptwriters READ ALL THE BOOKS before putting stupid suposed-to-be-funny-scenes in the movies
2. DD added quotes in PoA. What is all that dreams (great hall) and happyness (opening evening) stuff about, he is not like that?
3. The fat lady singing (PoA) WHY?

Leaving this kind of things out, they COULD have found the time to add the "unsignificant" fact that the marauders were James, Sirius, Lupin, Peter and that James was a stag animagus.

Oh, and of course, Ron beeing such a whiner. I won't say more, I believe there are threads about that already.
totally agree!! and the new Dumbledore totally suks (sorry to his fans) but he is just not right for the part. The real Dumbledore would never say such cheesy things and have silly expressions on his face. And there is a scene in the GoF trailer where he actually looks scared! When has JKR's Dumbledore ever been known to make that kind of an expression?!

About the actors portraying the Trio, I think they're doing a decent job. Some of Dan's dialogus do look very rehearsed at times but I just cant keep it against him somehow. He's so cute & looks very similar to the Harry i pictured in my mind.

'Oh, come on, Harry,' said Hermione. 'Its not Quidditch thats popular, its you! You've never been more interesting, and, frankly, you've never been more fanciable.'- Chapter: Felix Felicis, HBP

*~SIRIUS LIVES~*
Old October 21st, 2005, 3:21 pm
Third Year

They have to have cool special effects.

Jack: Is this a dream?
Bootstrap: No.
Jack: I thought not,If it were, there would be rum.
~POTC2
Old October 21st, 2005, 3:30 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedgurltuja27
Could you actually give us some examples as to why you think Dan and Emma can't act? And if you really think they can't, why did you bother watching all three movies--and the 3rd so closely that you noticed Harry's scar was gone? I never noticed that, and I've watched it several times.
But please, some actual proof that Dan and Emma can't act. Most of us out here think they're perfect for their roles.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old October 21st, 2005, 3:40 pm
First Year

i couldnt imagine a different harry hermione or ron. ron is particularly fantastic. i thought the films 1 and 2 were good. but 3 was excellent. however criticisms i have of film 3 are...
1. no explanation of the maurauders. who and WHY!!
2. the ending was awful. WHHooooosh!
3. HE WAS THEIR FRIEND AND HE BETRAYED THEM!! haha cringe!

thanks hermy_grngr. u rock!
Old October 21st, 2005, 4:40 pm
Student

1. I didn't like the removal of the MWPP storyline from PoA
2. The films ending. All three seemed very corny to me.
3. The way Ron has been written in the films. Rupert is a fine actor but Ron's best lines form the books are said by others in the films. For example "If you want to kill Harry, you'll have to kill us too."

Old October 21st, 2005, 4:57 pm
First Year

I suppose you just have to take the movies as they are, they were never going to be as good as the books, it's an impossibility.

Agree with the actor comments, Emma Watson isn't bad but Daniel and Rupert (Rupert especially) are awful. I can't stand Ruperts face that he pulls when he is suprised, scared, shocked etc it's bloody terrible!

PoA left out too much about the Maruders Map and that really wound me up, Harry's patronus only looked like a stagg once at the end and there was no mention of the significance of his patronus and the form that it takes.

Old October 21st, 2005, 5:17 pm
Third Year

When there are seemingly pointless deviations from the plot, that annoys me. And the style of the first two movies... it doesn't annoy me as such, but it annoys everyone around me, because I burst out laughing at random intervals when watching. Not for any particular reason, as far as I can fathom, although it may be because there are quite a few uber-cheesy moments.

Pointless Story Haiku of the Week!

Once upon a time,
there was an EVIL ROBOT
but it died: The End.
Old October 21st, 2005, 5:18 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmawatson777
Could you actually give us some examples as to why you think Dan and Emma can't act? And if you really think they can't, why did you bother watching all three movies--and the 3rd so closely that you noticed Harry's scar was gone? I never noticed that, and I've watched it several times.
But please, some actual proof that Dan and Emma can't act. Most of us out here think they're perfect for their roles.
I think most of us dont agree with u .. Dan doznt know how 2 act at all.. although i really like him.. Emma is the best one but still .. and how could u get proof that someone cant act..? just watch the movies and ull see.. what they do dosnt look real they it shows that they already know whats comin up and know what there goin 2 say.. they get better by each movie though..
but not all the actors r bad ..
The movies scripts totally suk..
but still the movies r nice 2 watch..you dont have 2 like how the actors act 2 enjoy the movie..
and mixedgurltuja27 good eyes ur good at noticing things..

Old October 21st, 2005, 5:25 pm
Fourth Year

Thus far it's been a minor pet peeve. I really wish the makeup folks would remember how they placed the scar on Dan's head, so they won't have the thing moving all over the place.

So far I've not been unhappy with the way the movies were done. The writers stayed with the books. I hope with the next film they did the same. I think OOTP will be hard as there is so much info in that book to deal with.

Old October 21st, 2005, 5:26 pm
First Year

I don't have any. Why? Because to me, the movies and the books are seperate entities. They are similiar in many ways, but there must be a line drwn between them. I love each for what they are, until I start comparing them.

Although I gotta admit, the lack of Ginny, and there being no Charlie and Bill kind of bugs me.

Old October 21st, 2005, 5:34 pm
First Year

I couldn't agree more
Quote:
Originally Posted by magickath
i couldnt imagine a different harry hermione or ron. ron is particularly fantastic. i thought the films 1 and 2 were good. but 3 was excellent. however criticisms i have of film 3 are...
1. no explanation of the maurauders. who and WHY!!
2. the ending was awful. WHHooooosh!
3. HE WAS THEIR FRIEND AND HE BETRAYED THEM!! haha cringe!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies