Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What would you change about the films?

Old August 4th, 2011, 10:51 pm
First Year

What would you change about the films?

If it were in your control, what would you change about the movies?

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2011, 2:32 am
First Year

Re: What would you change about the films?

This could be a long list, but I'll stick with my biggest gripes.

I would go back and make sure Sirius' story wasn't downplayed. I think the movies made him less important than he seems in the books. We weren't given the chance to become emotionally attached in the movies. Non readers probably weren't all that choked up when he died.

More Snape. He never gets enough screen time. He's my favorite character and is played by the best actor in the entire series. Maybe if the screenwriter and directors realized what an important character he really would end up being, this would have been fixed early on.

Pig. I love that little owl in the books and was looking forward to seeing him on screen. I know he's not remotely important, but it was still a bummer.

Old August 5th, 2011, 2:40 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I wouldn'd change the first two movies. For film three, I would have more of the back story of the Mauraders. GOF, I would like to add the Quidditch World Cup. We didn't see any of it.. The Weasleys were invited to sit in the Minister of Magic's box along with the Malfoys, but the movie mentioned it was only the Malfoys. I would have changed the ending of movie 5 by having Harry so upset about what happened at the Ministry, when he was throwing stuff in Dumbledore's office.
Movie 6- I wanted to see more of the pensieve scenes and I didn't like the scene with Harry talking to that waitress.

Old August 5th, 2011, 3:11 am
Second Year

I wouldn't have changed too much, actually. Maybe I would just have:

-Picked another actor to play Dumbledore instead of Michael Gambon. I never did get used to him after the original actor died.

-Made GoF and OoTF each an extra hour longer. The movies were alright on their own, but soo much was left out from the books and some of the scenes were far to short, in my opinion.

-Would have changed Voldemort's appearance. I know the books described him as "snake-like", but having no nose just made him look too strange I thought.

I personally wish they would have made him look more along the lines of how he looked in the first film:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaSnape View Post
We weren't given the chance to become emotionally attached in the movies. Non readers probably weren't all that choked up when he died.
Yeah, I agree that they should have developed his character a bit more in the films. My brother didn't read any of the books, so I had to explain to him why Harry made such a big deal about his death.

Member of Ravenclaw on CoS & Member of Slytherin on Pottermore!

Wand: 13 inches, Blackthorn, Dragon Heartstring, Hard.

Go Falcons & Go Dolphins!
Old August 5th, 2011, 3:12 am
Second Year

if i could change the films, it would be to change the representation of the character of Ron, who i've always thought has been misinterpreted unfairly in the films.

He became the comedic funny guy, which is ok, but the Directors really downplayed his strengths. He isn't half as cowardly as the films make him out to be. I hated that Ron didn't stick up for Hermione when Snape called her a know-it-all in the POA film and that Hermione nabbed his line of "if you're going to kill Harry you're going to have to kill us too". I also noticed that Ron's line of "he beat you!" that he yells at Voldemort was cut out in the last film, which is really irritating as i know that Rupert yells that line because i watched the b-roll footage!

I would also have changed the whole Ginny/Harry romance in the 6th film so that it wasn't as cringeworthy to watch. If Yates could have just stuck to the book, then it might have been ok.
I would have much rather have wanted to see a scene with Ginny leaning against Harry's legs, telling Ron and Hermione how she had told Romilda Vane that Harry had a hungarian horntail tattooed on his chest (especially as Ron says "i knew Ginny was lying about that tattoo in DH1!!!!), than have Ginny tie up Harry's shoelaces as if he were a six year old boy.

Until the very end.
Old August 5th, 2011, 3:29 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
More Snape. He never gets enough screen time. He's my favorite character and is played by the best actor in the entire series. Maybe if the screenwriter and directors realized what an important character he really would end up being, this would have been fixed early on.
I have probably turned into one of the biggest sanpe supporters since DH2(the book) came out!! Although I was moved by the final scenes in the movie, i was still left a little unfulfilled!!! He deserved WAY more action in the movies!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
Movie 6- I wanted to see more of the pensieve scenes and I didn't like the scene with Harry talking to that waitress.
I wanted the scene with the Gaunts too!! To see the other side(or any side for that matter) of Tom Riddle's family would have been cool!

Old August 5th, 2011, 4:36 am
First Year

Quote:

I would go back and make sure Sirius' story wasn't downplayed. I think the movies made him less important than he seems in the books. We weren't given the chance to become emotionally attached in the movies. Non readers probably weren't all that choked up when he died.

Pig. I love that little owl in the books and was looking forward to seeing him on screen. I know he's not remotely important, but it was still a bummer.
I just have to say i 100% agree with you on that! Movies 1-5 i didnt read the books. So, like you said, when Siris died it was kind of "oh.. okay..". We didnt really learn that much about him. He wasnt really a character i cared about so much. But when i read the 5th book i was sad when he died because we know more about him.

Old August 5th, 2011, 10:01 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorey1 View Post
if i could change the films, it would be to change the representation of the character of Ron, who i've always thought has been misinterpreted unfairly in the films.

He became the comedic funny guy, which is ok, but the Directors really downplayed his strengths. He isn't half as cowardly as the films make him out to be. I hated that Ron didn't stick up for Hermione when Snape called her a know-it-all in the POA film and that Hermione nabbed his line of "if you're going to kill Harry you're going to have to kill us too". I also noticed that Ron's line of "he beat you!" that he yells at Voldemort was cut out in the last film, which is really irritating as i know that Rupert yells that line because i watched the b-roll footage!

I would also have changed the whole Ginny/Harry romance in the 6th film so that it wasn't as cringeworthy to watch. If Yates could have just stuck to the book, then it might have been ok.
I would have much rather have wanted to see a scene with Ginny leaning against Harry's legs, telling Ron and Hermione how she had told Romilda Vane that Harry had a hungarian horntail tattooed on his chest (especially as Ron says "i knew Ginny was lying about that tattoo in DH1!!!!), than have Ginny tie up Harry's shoelaces as if he were a six year old boy.
Everything you said.

I would hire a new scriptwriter who wasn't Hermione-obsessed. There would be no line-stealing and scene-hogging from Miss Granger.

Ron would be his canon self, get his lines and scenes back, and there would be real friendship moments between Harry and him post CoS.

The Harry/Ginny relationship would be foreshadowed (especially in OotP). All their scenes together from the book would be added and Ginny be given decent lines. Along with this there would be no Harry/Hermione or Harry/Luna or Harry/Any other girl (Cough Waitress) bonding scenes!

Harry and Ginny would get their book kisses, passionate and loving, not boring pecks!

The Marauders, their map, their identities and Animagus status plus the meaning of Harry's Patronus explained in the end of PoA.

That's what I can think of now. My main changes would be to Ron, Hermione and Ginny's character portrayal post CoS, Harry/Ginny's relationship, and cutting scenes like the Waitress, Harry/Hermione dance and Luna and the Thestrals.

Old August 5th, 2011, 10:15 am
Zonko's Employee

I'd make the first two films shorter! PS/SS is charming, but is just plain boring at times, IMO - plodding.

I'd also like better exposition. I don't gripe about the Marauders backstory being cut, but I'd like clearer exposition about the Horcruxes, for example.

And good exposition in a film isn't lengthy, either.

Old August 5th, 2011, 12:13 pm
First Year

[quote=DanaSnape;5806168]

So agree, Way the most interesting character!

Old August 5th, 2011, 1:50 pm
Second Year

Different Dumbledore. Michael Gambon wasn't bad, but for me Dumbledore was an older man than Gambon portrayed him to be, and was a quiet, but powerful figure.

Not drop characters from existence. Such as 'Witherwings'.

Not put the Patil twins in the same House. Not that it affects the plot, really, but it's a simple fact. Not that hard to get right.

Kreacher's story and reconciliation with Harry et al was not even mentioned. He is sent to tail Mundungus, and then never seen from again. Didn't even show the angry house elves attacking the shins of the Death Eaters in the final battle.

One change I liked in the movie that wasn't exactly in the book was Dobby's last words. "Such a beautiful place...to be with friends...Dobby is happy to be with his friend(s?)....Harry Potter." In the book, he just says "Harry Potter.", but this was a nice touch.

Old August 5th, 2011, 2:12 pm
First Year

I wouldn't change the first 2 films. They were very true to the book - a bit boring at times, yes but by far my favourites. I like how the gave Snape enough screentime (particularly in PS) and justice to Ron's Character e.g. the Chess scene. In the other movies he's the funny guy, not very brave.
PoA - I would have made it a point to give the Marauder's story. Best part of the book. The scene in the Shrieking Shack was too rushed.
GoF - not my favourite but nothing in particular I would change. Perhaps if the movie just wasn't so rushed.
OotP - Give Sirius's character more importance, show his fustration at being locked up. I would give SWM proper screentime. Harry and Cho's date. And Harry's grief after Sirius's passing. They just cut too much out of this movie!
HBP - More focus on Riddle's past rather than Won Won. A bit more screen time to Snape.
Deathly Hallows part 1 - This was a good movie. Quite true to the book! I just wished they added Lily's letter. And the graffitti at Godric's Hollow, if they made that scene with some touching music, I would cry!
Deathly Hallows part 2 - More importance to all the deaths. A few scenes of Snape's teenage years with Lily. Would make Snape look like less of a saint (they completely overlooked the fact that Snape was the one who told LV about the prophecy - hence the whole remorse element). All of the scenes after that were disappointing including TPT (although the visit to Godric Hollow addition was beautiful)

And I agree with agilefalcon16! I liked the first Voldemort. The Voldemort in the next movies would just make me laugh.

Last edited by Gemini123; August 5th, 2011 at 2:14 pm.
Old August 6th, 2011, 4:51 am
Fourth Year

In a simple sentence. . . I would have kept Chris Columbus as director for all eight of the movies, found a different screen writer than Kloves. I think if it wasn't for Columbus then the whole series might has been ruined. All the other directors were useless i think. Curon got annoying with the bird flying into the Whomping WIllow and getting beat to blue feathers stuff in POA. Mike Newell ruined Voldemort by not giving him snake like eyes and coloring them red! And Yates (although he redeemed himself somewhat) completely ruined the Department of mysteries by only showing the Hall of Prophecies, Basically insulted Dumbledore by excluding his funeral, ruined Fred's Death Scene, And took alot away from the final battle, and King's Cross, didn't give the Prince's Tale all that much for us to understand as well. Like I said he did redeem himself, and I do like most of the movie Pt.1&2. But I think if one director would have made them all they would have turned out more epic, more awesome, and busted more records.

Let us never forget Those who gave their lives to save our freedom
Old August 6th, 2011, 4:58 am
Second Year

I would have added 'Peeves' the poltergeist! he was such a funny character! Sirius should have been more important, I reckon people that don't read the books didn't even get attached to him as much as we did. Snape should have also been in more scenes in the movies, he was so under rated throughout the whole series. The first film should have been longer. And I would put more Quidditch scenes, and if I could change all Half-Blood Prince I would, that was a terrible movie!

Proud Gryffindor
"Tell them how it happened that night! How you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you, and killed him!"
Old August 6th, 2011, 5:36 am
Fifth Year

First two: No major changes here that i can think of.

PoA: Marauder backstory added. It wouldnt have taken long to explain this in the film.

GoF: oh the changes...Recast Barty Crouch Jr. Tennant is awesome but not the guy i had in mind. Also get into how he escaped Azkaban and why. I dont even think Winky is necessary but putting her in wouldnt be bad either. The Weasleys coming to get Harry at Number 4. Great comedy moment there. Introduce Bill. Add the scene where Harry and everyone goes to see Sirius in Hogsmeade. Showing the Quidditch World Cup Match please. Also KEEPING the scene where Snape and Karkaroff are talking about the Dark Marks. Dumbledore explaining Priori Incantatem better.

OotP: Showing a bit more of Grimmauld Place plus more Sirius scenes. Showing Molly's boggart would have been powerful. (we dont even need to SEE it, just know whats going on.) A nice lingering shot on the Locket when cleaning the house. Cut the Grawp subplot that goes no where. Put the entirety of Snape's Worst Memory in there. The Brain Room in the Department of Mysteries. Also the Thestral lesson with Hagrid. And one more thing...PORTABLE SWAMP! Also the St Mungos stuff. I loved that...

HBP: Dumbledore coming to get Harry at the Dursleys and discussing Sirius's will. Adding the other Pensieve scenes. (Hepzibah Smith, The Gaunts, and the Voldy trying to get the DADA job) Cutting most of Draco's working on the Cabinet. (i still think that should have been more suspenseful. They killed the suspense totally.) Having Crabbe and Goyle as girls. (lol) Mollywobbles scene. Man i wanted it so bad! Cutting the Burrow Burning completely and replacing it with Scrimgeour coming to see Harry. Adding more emphasis on the Prince's book. Showing Snape teach DADA. Adding the skirmish at Hogwarts. More emphasis on finding out who the Prince really is. Adding Trewlawney talking about the Prophecy. Dumbledore's Funeral. Having Snape say his famous line. (oh god the anger...)

DH1: Hmmmm...You know, i cant think of much except adding Lupin to come visit at Grimmauld place. (argument need not happen but can..) And Potterwatch. EDIT: OH YEAH! Pettigrew's proper death please.

DH2: A little bit more about Dumbledore's backstory. Not much! Just a bit more. Lupin appearing at Shell Cottage. Showing Fred's death. A bit more of Teenage Snape and Lily in TPT. (just for clarity's sake.) Harry repairing his old wand and then breaking the Elder Wand.

Thats all i can think of right now.

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!

Last edited by Slartibartfast; August 6th, 2011 at 5:40 am.
Old August 6th, 2011, 10:27 am
Banned

Quote:

This is my biggest moan about the films. They sacrifice the characters stories. I don't know if it was because the screenwriter just couldn't adapt the source material and the director replaced the character arcs with actions shots or not, but they cut out what made the books great. It wasn't as if they did not have good actors who could have conveyed the characters, they did. Rickman would have been great at showing how sadistic Snape could be and then showing how he sank so far into evil. The scenes in which he could have shown the effort it took to drag himself up would have been a real revalation of just how good an actor he is. But what did we get, in GOF all he had to do was push Dan Radcliffe's and Rupert Grint's heads into their books. At least Gary Oldman had one scene in which he shone, but we never did get to see him miserabley drunk while stuck in Grimmauld Place. We never got to see Remus torn between his self loathing and his love for Tonks, Arthur and Molly being embarrassed about 'MollyWobbles' or Bill being the hunk that Fleur fancied enough to leave France for, just so she could be close to him. Harry and Ginny, lets not go there. That was embarrassing. Not as embarassing as the whole Ron, Hermione and Lavander thing but close enough. Just how hard could it have been to make one decent film that stuck somewhat close to the book storyline?
One thing to be grateful for, the entire series has been published, this should make it easier for the remakes to know just what to concentrate on. Maybe they will take a leaf out of William Friedkin when he did 'The Exorcist' and go through the books with a highlighter and say,
' This we have to do, this we don't.'

Old August 6th, 2011, 4:25 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPotter17 View Post
In a simple sentence. . . I would have kept Chris Columbus as director for all eight of the movies, found a different screen writer than Kloves. I think if it wasn't for Columbus then the whole series might has been ruined. All the other directors were useless i think. Curon got annoying with the bird flying into the Whomping WIllow and getting beat to blue feathers stuff in POA. Mike Newell ruined Voldemort by not giving him snake like eyes and coloring them red! And Yates (although he redeemed himself somewhat) completely ruined the Department of mysteries by only showing the Hall of Prophecies, Basically insulted Dumbledore by excluding his funeral, ruined Fred's Death Scene, And took alot away from the final battle, and King's Cross, didn't give the Prince's Tale all that much for us to understand as well. Like I said he did redeem himself, and I do like most of the movie Pt.1&2. But I think if one director would have made them all they would have turned out more epic, more awesome, and busted more records.
You realize, though, that the last five books were much longer and more difficult to adapt than the first two? Columbus wouldn't be allowed to make 4 hour long films to keep every detail and would have had to cut them down too. Maybe he'd split up the books starting from GoF on? In that case I think they would have flopped. Who knows, maybe if Columbus had stayed, we wouldn't reach 8 films?

Last edited by Noldus; August 6th, 2011 at 4:28 pm.
Old August 6th, 2011, 4:52 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
You realize, though, that the last five books were much longer and more difficult to adapt than the first two? Columbus wouldn't be allowed to make 4 hour long films to keep every detail and would have had to cut them down too. Maybe he'd split up the books starting from GoF on? In that case I think they would have flopped. Who knows, maybe if Columbus had stayed, we wouldn't reach 8 films?
If Columbus had stayed, I find it doubtful that we'd have reached eight (or seven) films. The drop between Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets is evidence enough that his films were highly unpopular. I don't think the series of films would have been completed had Columbus stayed on the whole time.

Last edited by jallen; August 6th, 2011 at 6:03 pm.
Old August 6th, 2011, 6:03 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen View Post
If Columbus had stayed, I find it doubtful that we'd have reached right (or seven) films. The drop between Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets is evidence enough that his films were highly unpopular. I don't think the series of films would have been completed had Columbus stayed on the whole time.
Yes. Thankfully Cuaron increased the popularity of the series again.

Old August 6th, 2011, 7:25 pm
First Year

I wouldn't change anything. The movies were very good directed and created.!!?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies