Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion > Coming Soon

Star Wars Episode 7 -- Coming 2015

Old November 6th, 2012, 2:44 pm
Rocket Scientist

Re: Star Wars Episode 7 -- Coming 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
He'd make a good Ewok.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2012, 6:27 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Personally I don't think he'd make a good Ewok

Warwick Davis managed to emote while wearing a teddy bear suit

That takes acting ability!

Old November 7th, 2012, 8:52 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
Why shouldn't he have taken it directly from what was already told? Which was quite byzantine. (Positively cloak & dagger. And in this case, the dagger was a short version of a light-sabre, which in itself was an obvious but awesome idea.) Heck the comic-books were telling it back in the 70s, and it was all good stuff.
Was the fan version of the fall of the Republic written in a book or a comic? Or both? I'm confused...

If it was in a book I'd love to know the names/authors of those who wrote it; I'm looking for new reading material. Could you message me with this info??

Quote:
"I don't think I'm alone in dreading the idea of paying another goddamn red cent for a 'Star Wars' movie ticket after Lucas made three terrible movies and went back to monkeyfart with the older, better ones, ruining them in the process," Magary wrote.
I actually didn't mind the first round of updates, when they digitally remastered things and opened up the sets by digitally laying in windows and adding some space creatures in here and there... My issue with the revisions really began when Lucas when back and replaced the original Anakin(s? weren't there at least two?) in Return of the Jedi with Hayden Christensen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
The authors are required to work with the accepted cannon and build from it with original stories and Lucas long ago endorsed those stories specifically the Zahn Trilogy that has been accepted as 7,8 and 9
o0o0o, will look these up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
But original stories should be fine as long as they don't ignore that cannon already put into place and accepted.
So how did the fandom, specifically the canon-compliant books, rationalize the prequel film triology since there (I guess?) had already been a fan-created version of the fall of the republic?

Oh, how I wish my Star War guru co-worker still worked here... He was the only nerd-friend I had here at work to geek out about stuff like this with.

Old November 8th, 2012, 11:05 pm
First Year

personally I am excited to see the next movie. May be I'm the only one in the whole world who likes all 6 so far (but would also love a DVD version of the original 3 w/o the extra's just for nostalgia).
Wab your line about Jar Jar and Gangun Style = hilarious LOL
Who doesn't like Ewoks! They are great. I slept with one as a teddy bear for years (yes I was one of the lucky ones to see it in the movies as a small child when it came out but not at the drive in, was a walk in).
I would love to help with the book recommendations but I've only read 3 or 4, my library has them in order of author, not order of when they happen/timeline, so the few that I read were all out of whack so I stopped reading them.
I love watching Clone Wars on Sat morning w/my cereal! It's one of my fav cartoons right now.

Old November 9th, 2012, 12:44 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temery View Post
I would love to help with the book recommendations but I've only read 3 or 4, my library has them in order of author, not order of when they happen/timeline, so the few that I read were all out of whack so I stopped reading them.
All the Star Wars media in their order in galactic time.

http://www.timelineuniverse.net/History.htm

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old November 10th, 2012, 6:23 am
Seventh Year

It looks like Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine, Toy Story 3) will be writing Episode VII, after working on a treatment for several months. It's great that they have someone now, it's better that it's someone this good, and it's better still that apparently he's been at work for a while. Now I don't know if the treatment Arndt worked on was the one that was mentioned or if that was based on an old one of Lucas', but I feel better about this than I have. Not good, but better than I have.

Old November 10th, 2012, 6:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
I actually didn't mind the first round of updates, when they digitally remastered things and opened up the sets by digitally laying in windows and adding some space creatures in here and there...
The first revisions (sorry, Special Editions) included Greedo shooting first and the Hutt in the hangar which added nothing as the dialogue merely reprised the conversation Han had with Greedo in the Cantina.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old November 11th, 2012, 11:43 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
So how did the fandom, specifically the canon-compliant books, rationalize the prequel film triology since there (I guess?) had already been a fan-created version of the fall of the republic?
I'm not overly knowledgeable in this area, but I know there was never an official prequel written i.e. 1,2,3. There were stories that took place before 4,5,6 but nothing that was "officially" accepted to my knowledge. Which is why if you read the books for phantom menace, attack of the clones, and revenge of the sith, you will see they follow the movies very closely with a few added scenes and details.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old November 22nd, 2012, 1:51 pm
Member of the Order

A new hope:
'Empire Strikes Back' and 'Return of the Jedi' writer hired for new 'Star Wars' trilogy
Disney plans to release the first of the new trilogy, Star Wars: Episode 7, sometime in 2015. That film will be written by Toy Story 3 and Little Miss Sunshine writer Michael Arndt.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, writers Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg have agreed to write installments of the new Star Wars trilogy, and they will write either Episode 8 or Episode 9. Kasdan's already got some serious credentials under his belt: he previously co-wrote The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Kasdan's counterpart Kinberg has written titles including X-Men: The Last Stand, Sherlock Holmes, and Jumper. The Hollywood Reporter says that the writers' exact responsibilities haven't been determined yet, and it's unclear if the duo will take on both movies. Regardless, it's exciting news for Star Wars fans who hold the original trilogy in high regard.

--------------------------

Kasdan and Arndt...2 out of 3...

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old November 22nd, 2012, 5:35 pm
Seventh Year

Simon Kinberg? Hmm...Okay, that gives me no more confidence than I had, and probably no less. The big news is that Kasdan's coming back, and that's great! It would've been nice if he'd worked on the prequels, but Lucas wasn't in a place to want other people on those....So Kasdan's writing one and Kinberg the other? It's weird that they haven't even figured out who's doing what, but hey, Kasdan's back on Star WArs, and that's cool. I figured the reason his name hadn't come up earlier was that they wanted fresh voices - hence Michael Arndt with no word about Kasdan returning. But apparently not.

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; November 8th, 2013 at 1:06 am.
Old November 25th, 2012, 3:17 pm
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
I also think it would be great for Lucas to take just an advisory role. He's obviously good at the big ideas/concepts, but not as good at the finer plot points and definitely not as good at dialogue.
This is how I feel as well. He is great with special effects, so if he advised on that, I think the movie could be excellent.

Regarding the plot/story of this movie - I have never read any of the Star Wars books, but my bf (and it looks like a lot of other people) are rooting for this Thrawn trilogy. I'm curious about it, so I hope they do it. In general I know very little about the Star Wars extended universe, so I'm anxious to see what happens after the Empire is defeated.

I also wonder if Disney makes Ep 7, will there be more in the future?
Quote:
And if they get rid of the whole midichlorian **** and go back to the Force being a spiritual thing, then Disney will have done the subgenre a service to most of its fanbase.
I second that.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old November 25th, 2012, 3:43 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
Regarding the plot/story of this movie - I have never read any of the Star Wars books, but my bf (and it looks like a lot of other people) are rooting for this Thrawn trilogy. I'm curious about it, so I hope they do it. In general I know very little about the Star Wars extended universe, so I'm anxious to see what happens after the Empire is defeated.
The earlier books were as a whole not incredibly great, with the exception of the Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn. He's also written some excellent later books, but they might be hard to follow without reading any of the other authors in between. I would definitely recommend reading at least the initial trilogy. The later books have been serialized and there's been more direction and continuity, so there are some other good books as well, but I haven't read any of the newer books in the past five or six years.

I think someone else already said that the new movies would not be based on any of the extended universe material, but I don't see any reason why they shouldn't borrow from the Thrawn trilogy - Mara Jade and Thrawn himself are excellent characters and I would hate for them to be written out of canon entirely.

Old November 25th, 2012, 5:34 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
I'm guessing that Lucas had restrictions on the approach to a 7th episode, and it's likely that doesn't include anything already in existence. And don't you think it would take something away from the enterprise if a fanfiction book was used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire
And if they get rid of the whole midichlorian **** and go back to the Force being a spiritual thing, then Disney will have done the subgenre a service to most of its fanbase.
I second that.
I don't think they can get rid of the midichlorian, as it's already part of the original story. Once you know, you can't not know....and anyway, it's still something that can be used for good or evil, and isn't that the basis for most archetypal stories regardless of whether there is spirituality or not, magic or not, or just struggles of humanity in the mix?

....I miss David Tennant....
Old November 25th, 2012, 7:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
I'm guessing that Lucas had restrictions on the approach to a 7th episode, and it's likely that doesn't include anything already in existence. And don't you think it would take something away from the enterprise if a fanfiction book was used?
EU books aren't fanfic as they are authorised.

Old November 26th, 2012, 6:13 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Was it actually authorized (i.e., recognized as the official storyline), or merely allowed as a separate unofficial story? In either case, Disney is calling the shots now. Not having read the Thrawn triology, in your opinion is it even something that Disney would consider appropriate?

....I miss David Tennant....
Old November 26th, 2012, 11:46 pm
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
I prefer to think of fanfiction as a genre, not a legal status.

Old November 8th, 2013, 1:03 am
Seventh Year

It has a release date now, a compromise between the 2015 Disney wanted and the 2016 the people actually making the movie wanted: December 18, 2015. It feels strange to have a Star Wars movie not opening in May, but it's more important that it not be too rushed (it's going to be somewhat rushed), and I'm less worried about it being so than I would be if it were out seven months earlier.

Old January 7th, 2014, 11:52 am
Fifth Year

Star Wars Episode VII

Anyone excited for this movie? After Lucasfilms was sold and the rumour about movie 7 started I thought it would never be made. But I guess it really is going to happen.

So Wikipedia has the movie set 20-30 years after return of the Jedi. So there is no Darth Vader or Siths. Jedi is also only one or maybe Luke has scoured around the world looking for some more people with the force. I hope Yoda makes a come back.

Power: A Collection An attempt at one shot fics. Latest Chapter The Trap

Get the daily news on the The Daily Prophet or read past articles in the Daily Prophet Archives

Old January 7th, 2014, 1:38 pm
Member of the Order

It's Disney, so...Keeping my expectations low.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

Old January 17th, 2014, 2:44 pm
Member of the Order

Op-ed: Disney takes a chainsaw to the Star Wars expanded universe

The Expanded Universe—the "EU"—sprawls like a bloated dead thing with tentacles stretching in all directions. Everything is in there: Timothy Zahn's Thrawn series (which introduced the eponymous Admiral Thrawn, as well as fan favorite Mara Jade, the former Emperor's Hand-turned-smuggler who overcame her hatred of Luke Skywalker and became his wife). Clone Wars and The Old Republic. The Yuuzhan Vong and the death of Chewbacca. Kevin J. Anderson and all the unspeakably, unreadably bad literary atrocities for which he's responsible.

The slap-dash, anyone-can-add-to-it nature of the existing Expanded Universe and its tiers is great for detail-oriented fans who want to write a Mary Sue fanfic that includes a perfectly accurate depiction of the seven prime forms of lightsaber combat, but it's absolute poison for Disney.

Ironically, nuking all post-RotJ material would remove Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy, which Lucasfilm authorized and provided limited collaboration on. Zahn's three books are easily the best of the often-literally-vomit-inducing tie-in novels, but they also are set shortly after the events of RotJ and deal specifically with the aftermath of the fall of the Empire. Losing them would mean losing some of the best content the EU has to offer; it would also, however, mean considerably more latitude in following up Episodes IV-VI.

-----------------------------

Just because I hate midichlorians...

Why Midichlorians Suck

One word ruined Star Wars for me, and probably for a generation of fans, too. That word wasn’t Jar Jar or Watto. It wasn’t a character.

It was “midi-chlorians.”

With that one word, the mechanisms of the Force became less spiritual and more scientific. Major bummer. The draw of the concept of the Force in the Original Trilogy is that it comes across as a low-maintenance religion. It’s kinda like Unitarianism that also gives you psychic powers and enables you to jump, fight and stare better than other members of your respective species. (Seriously, Jedi wield eye contact like a weapon. Never get into a staring contest with them.) You couldn’t measure the Force really, unless it whopped you upside the head. It was just there, lingering like a threat or a promise.

Until, of course, “midi-chlorians.”

Moreover, “midi-chlorians” messes up every extrapolated wish fulfillment that accompanies Star Wars, too. Every kid who ever wanted to be a Jedi thought that all they’d have to do was train really hard, learn to concentrate and squint and they’d somehow connect to the energy that moves through all living things. But that stupid little Force Detector Qui-Gon pulls out in Phantom Menace scuttled the hopes of all such young dreamers. Forget about all those push-ups and those eyebrow raises you’ve been practicing. If you’ve got a low midi-chlorian count, won’t be no Jedi Academy for you, youngling.

I know my lament isn’t a new thing and is just another voice added to the angry nerd chorus. Maybe this is too far a tangent, but when that device gets whipped out in Episode One, the line separating Star Trek and Star Wars blurs. The former series is about the empirical investigation of the universe, with technology at the forefront. The latter is more sociological, turning on the strength of personal belief and political will to change history.

“Midi-chlorians” take all the comparative religion ideas, all the quasi-mythological essences that churn at the core of Star Wars and turn them into easily quantifiable biology. And metaphor or not, I say “boo” to all that.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion > Coming Soon