Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Little Questions Answered v.21

Old October 1st, 2012, 2:07 pm
Registered Animagus

Re: Little Questions Answered v.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyannaS View Post
Good question, to which I don't know the answer. For that matter, do we know how long Centaurs live? Their lifespan is probably very different from humans' lifespans

I'm curious as to why you ask that question - what would be the significance of Firenze having been around during the Marauder era? Which, mind you, is not that long ago. Most of the older characters in the books were around then.
I was writing a chapter in my story, and was curious to know if say... Firenze was a teen when Remus was... if they could have met when he had to go out in the forest as a werewolf.

Old October 1st, 2012, 5:08 pm
The Potions Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Pikachu View Post
When Harry, Ron and Hermione are caught by the Snatchers after Harry said the Taboo, Harry pretends to be Vernon Dudley. Hermione says she's Penelope Clearwater. Her answer seems pretty convincing, but as we learned already in COS Clearwater got attacked by the Basilisk as well, so she probably was Muggle born and would be on the list.
It's very unlikely for Hermione, witty as she is, even in urgent situations, to call herself after a 'Mudblood girl'. You think Rowling oversaw this, or that Hermione simply forgot?
I think it might be JKR's way of showing us, after the fact, that not only Muggleborns were attacked. If Penelope were a pure- or half-blood, then the Basilisk did not really discriminate or was not completely under control. Mrs. Norris was not even human and got petrified.

Mugglenet.com Editorial: The Flaw in the Plan
Potion notes: noxspell.org

NoxSpell7790 on Pottermore and still Slytherin!
Ebony, Phoenix Feather, 11-3/4" . . . Unyielding

Old October 1st, 2012, 8:43 pm
Second Year

Welll, I had forgotten a quote from Chamber of Secrets. Right after Hermione and Penelope were attacked, Fudge came to get Hagrid...

Quote:
Hagrid had gone pale and sweaty. He dropped into one of his chairs and looked from Dumbledore to Cornelius Fudge.

"Bad business, Hagrid," said Fudge in rather clipped tones. "Very bad business. Had to come. Four attacks on Muggle-borns. Things've gone far enough. Ministry's got to act."
Four attacks on muggle-borns. That's Justin, Colin, Hermione and Penelope. So, I think that should answer that question on Penelope's blood status.

Old October 1st, 2012, 9:01 pm
The Potions Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by decaye23 View Post
Welll, I had forgotten a quote from Chamber of Secrets. Right after Hermione and Penelope were attacked, Fudge came to get Hagrid...

Four attacks on muggle-borns. That's Justin, Colin, Hermione and Penelope. So, I think that should answer that question on Penelope's blood status.
I'm sure they aren't including Mrs. Norris or Nearly Headless Nick, so it looks like she intended Penelope to be Muggleborn (unless Fudge is incorrect.) But then then botches Hermione's use of Penelope's name in DH.

Old October 1st, 2012, 9:07 pm
Sixth Year

She also confuses the movie with the book in HBP, in the book it's mentioned Hermione punched Malfoy. That was only in the movie of PoA, in the book she just slapped him.

Old October 1st, 2012, 9:11 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrormere View Post
I'm sure they aren't including Mrs. Norris or Nearly Headless Nick, so it looks like she intended Penelope to be Muggleborn (unless Fudge is incorrect.) But then then botches Hermione's use of Penelope's name in DH.
What do you mean? JK botched Hermione's use of Penelope's name? How so?

Old October 1st, 2012, 9:23 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
The Snatchers were hunting Muggleborn. Hermione, a Muggleborn, was trying to lie by using a half-blood or pureblood name... and she picked an apparent Muggleborn name.

Old October 1st, 2012, 9:23 pm
Sixth Year

If Hermione was trying to evade the attention of the Death Eaters/Snatchers she shouldn't have used a Muggleborn's name as her alias. What is being discussed is that JK herself probably forgot she'd already used Penelope as a Muggleborn when she had Hermione use that name.

Old October 1st, 2012, 9:28 pm
The Potions Master

Quote:
Isn't that how the conversation got started? When confronted by the Snatchers, Hermione says her name is Penelope Clearwater and that she is half-blood. Hermione would know Penelope is Muggleborn from CoS. The Snatchers apparently have a list to check on some names, though they don't mention Penelope's as being on it. But using a Muggleborn's name could have had adverse consequences.

Old October 1st, 2012, 9:46 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I suppose it would be sarcastic to point out JKR had a continuity editor?

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old October 1st, 2012, 9:53 pm
Second Year

I don't see it as a mistake...I had answered that earlier. The Snatchers were looking for blood-traitors, muggle-borns, but also truants. They had lists. Now, it could be possible that Penelope's name was on an adult muggle-born list, but as the Snatchers stated that the trio looked school age, they likely would have only checked the Hogwarts' Truant list. It was clever of Hermionie to use her name, because Penelope wouldn't be on the list as she had already graduated from school. Also, of course, Hermione wouldn't be thick enough to call herself 'muggle-born' to the Snatchers.

Old October 1st, 2012, 10:27 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
I suppose it would be sarcastic to point out JKR had a continuity editor?
Maybe he had an odd-day?

Old October 1st, 2012, 11:08 pm
The Potions Master

Quote:
I don't see it as a mistake...I had answered that earlier. The Snatchers were looking for blood-traitors, muggle-borns, but also truants. They had lists. Now, it could be possible that Penelope's name was on an adult muggle-born list, but as the Snatchers stated that the trio looked school age, they likely would have only checked the Hogwarts' Truant list. It was clever of Hermionie to use her name, because Penelope wouldn't be on the list as she had already graduated from school. Also, of course, Hermione wouldn't be thick enough to call herself 'muggle-born' to the Snatchers.
Hermione doesn't know what they are looking for when she answers. Since she knows that Penelope is Muggleborn, why take the risk?

Multiple lists are not mentioned, only one - which leads me to suspect all the names they were looking for, Muggleborn, truants, etc, were all together on one list. Hermione was lucky Penelope wasn't on that list.

Why not pick someone you know is full or half blood to be on the safe side?

Last edited by mirrormere; October 1st, 2012 at 11:18 pm.
Old October 1st, 2012, 11:17 pm
Third Year

I suppose even Hermione could get flustered a bit under stress and grasp quickly only for a name of a graduated student who wouldn't be truant. Someone who dated a Weasley would be a quick example to come to mind, I suppose.

Old October 1st, 2012, 11:19 pm
The Potions Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie_Angel View Post
I suppose even Hermione could get flustered a bit under stress and grasp quickly only for a name of a graduated student who wouldn't be truant. Someone who dated a Weasley would be a quick example to come to mind, I suppose.
Definitely could see that happening!

Her lying doesn't really help the situation anyway - they still get found out.

Old October 1st, 2012, 11:20 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I think all that mattered to Hermione in the moment was that she couldn't be Hermione Granger, muggleborn known to be an associate of Harry Potter's. She was just trying to buy any time she could manage at all.

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old October 1st, 2012, 11:38 pm
The Potions Master

Here's a question:

When Harry is trapped at Malfoy Manor, he asks the eye in the mirror for help and Aberforth sends Dobby.

Why didn't Harry call Kreacher?

Old October 2nd, 2012, 12:39 am
Second Year

Quote:
Here's a question:

When Harry is trapped at Malfoy Manor, he asks the eye in the mirror for help and Aberforth sends Dobby.

Why didn't Harry call Kreacher?
Harry wasn't aware at the time that house elves could apparate in and out of Malfoy Manor. I think he was trying to get outside help that could infiltrate the house by other means. Kreacher being alone, freindless, and slightly crazed could not have helped in that instance.

Last edited by Revaunch; October 2nd, 2012 at 12:40 am. Reason: spelling
Old October 2nd, 2012, 12:58 am
Second Year

Quote:
Hermione doesn't know what they are looking for when she answers. Since she knows that Penelope is Muggleborn, why take the risk?

Multiple lists are not mentioned, only one - which leads me to suspect all the names they were looking for, Muggleborn, truants, etc, were all together on one list. Hermione was lucky Penelope wasn't on that list.

Why not pick someone you know is full or half blood to be on the safe side?
It seems like everybody wants it to be a mistake and to make Penelope a pure-blood or something I don't know how many lists there were, but definitely a truant list and a muggle-born list. However, just to clarify Hermione knew what they were looking for, Ron had already told them what the Snatchers were doing, before the "Penelope' lie that we are discussing.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 1:27 am
The Potions Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revaunch View Post
Harry wasn't aware at the time that house elves could apparate in and out of Malfoy Manor. I think he was trying to get outside help that could infiltrate the house by other means. Kreacher being alone, freindless, and slightly crazed could not have helped in that instance.
At the time Harry knew Kreacher could apparate in and out of the horcrux cave and out of Grimmauld Place--why wouldn't he be able to apparate out of Malfoy Manor? Kreacher wasn't so crazed that it prevented Harry from sending him out to get Mundungus Fletcher.

Quote:
It seems like everybody wants it to be a mistake and to make Penelope a pure-blood or something
I don't care either way what Penelope was - just trying to tie up some seemingly loose ends.

Quote:
I don't know how many lists there were, but definitely a truant list and a muggle-born list.
The Snatchers themselves only ever refer to one list - it's never mentioned in a context that there were several.

Quote:
However, just to clarify Hermione knew what they were looking for, Ron had already told them what the Snatchers were doing, before the "Penelope' lie that we are discussing.
Here's what Ron tells Harry and Hermione when he gets back:
DH: The Silver Doe“Snatchers,” said Ron. “They’re everywhere — gangs trying to earn gold by rounding up Muggle-borns and blood traitors, there’s a reward from the Ministry for everyone captured. I was on my own and I look like I might be school age; they got really excited, thought I was a Muggle-born in hiding. I had to talk fast to get out of being dragged to the Ministry.
He doesn't say anything specifically about truants, except that the Snatchers suspect school age children not at Hogwarts must be Muggleborns. From what Ron says, she shouldn't be giving Penelope's name because she knows they are looking for Muggleborns.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone