Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Little Questions Answered v.21

Old December 14th, 2014, 2:35 pm
First Year

can a muggle ride a thestral?

I think that, there is no reason a muggle can't see a thestral, IMO.

Can muggles ride them?

Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2014, 8:50 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Re: can a muggle ride a thestral?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscowKrum View Post
I think that, there is no reason a muggle can't see a thestral, IMO.

Can muggles ride them?
I disagree with you thestrals are one of the most magical beasts we get to meet in the series . Even wizards can't see them unless they have seen death .

We know from canon that there are many things that Wizards can see or do that muggles can't. Dementors for example can be felt by muggles but not seen. I don't think a muggle could see a thestral .I feel that if they did they wouldn't believe their eyes. As for riding on one if you can't see it how do you mount up on it ? Why would any muggle want to get on an invisible thing that they can't see and go flying through the air ?

OK a quick question of my own .

Other than Ron getting Charlie's old wand do we see any other hand me down wands ever in the series ?

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old December 30th, 2014, 9:08 am
Seventh Year

Re: Little Questions Answered v.21

Not a little question as such but thinking about it and thinking about how JKR seems to be a fan of breaking barriers and suck I actually think it might have been a good idea to make Harry bi-curious. Not full on bi-sexual as such but maybe a little bi-curious. That might have helped the gay community and it would not have changed Harry as a character in any way.

Old December 30th, 2014, 1:02 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: can a muggle ride a thestral?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
I disagree with you thestrals are one of the most magical beasts we get to meet in the series . Even wizards can't see them unless they have seen death .

We know from canon that there are many things that Wizards can see or do that muggles can't. Dementors for example can be felt by muggles but not seen. I don't think a muggle could see a thestral .I feel that if they did they wouldn't believe their eyes. As for riding on one if you can't see it how do you mount up on it ? Why would any muggle want to get on an invisible thing that they can't see and go flying through the air ?

OK a quick question of my own .

Other than Ron getting Charlie's old wand do we see any other hand me down wands ever in the series ?
Neville had his father's wand. Which probably contributed to his lowered magical ability. Didn't he end up buying one of the last wands Ollivander sold before being captured by the Death Eaters?

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old December 30th, 2014, 2:55 pm
Zonko's Employee

Also, I may be confusing movie and canon, but wasn't Draco using his mother's wand after Harry grabbed the Hawthorn wand away? Not quite a hand-me-down, in that she apparently had not taken a different wand (or maybe she had, we really do not know), but the same concept.

BTW, it seems remarkable to me that we do not see wizards keeping multiple wands. I would liken it to a pro baseball player - he has a favorite bat and carries it around, but bats do get broken at times, so they have backups. Or like families that have an extra car or two beyond the daily-use cars - maybe a truck for big jobs or hauling a trailer, or a junker to fill in while the regular car gets serviced. Most daily magic requires a wand, so why not keep an extra wand or two handy, maybe a deceased relative's, so you can do your day-to-day stuff adequately if something happens to your own wand until you get a chance to get a replacement that chooses you and will do more finely-tuned magic?

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
Old December 30th, 2014, 6:36 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus Diggle View Post
Also, I may be confusing movie and canon, but wasn't Draco using his mother's wand after Harry grabbed the Hawthorn wand away? Not quite a hand-me-down, in that she apparently had not taken a different wand (or maybe she had, we really do not know), but the same concept.
BTW, it seems remarkable to me that we do not see wizards keeping multiple wands. I would liken it to a pro baseball player - he has a favorite bat and carries it around, but bats do get broken at times, so they have backups. Or like families that have an extra car or two beyond the daily-use cars - maybe a truck for big jobs or hauling a trailer, or a junker to fill in while the regular car gets serviced. Most daily magic requires a wand, so why not keep an extra wand or two handy, maybe a deceased relative's, so you can do your day-to-day stuff adequately if something happens to your own wand until you get a chance to get a replacement that chooses you and will do more finely-tuned magic?
Yes, that was in the book. Draco confronted Harry in the RoR hidden things room about having stolen his wand and having to use his mother's. I would consider this more like the example of Harry using Hermione's wand after she accidentally broke his in their escape from Godric's Hollow. Not a hand-me-down as in the other examples and not exactly what Twins was looking for in his original question.

But we can see there is not too much of that going on in the wizarding world. Everyone seems to have their own wand.

BTW—Is Dumbledore's Elder Wand a hand-me-down or an award?—something to think about.

Pottermore: MahoganyFrog20318

Pottermore: Ilvermorny: Thunderbird
Old December 31st, 2014, 12:42 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BublGumPnkHar View Post
Yes, that was in the book. Draco confronted Harry in the RoR hidden things room about having stolen his wand and having to use his mother's. I would consider this more like the example of Harry using Hermione's wand after she accidentally broke his in their escape from Godric's Hollow. Not a hand-me-down as in the other examples and not exactly what Twins was looking for in his original question.

But we can see there is not too much of that going on in the wizarding world. Everyone seems to have their own wand.

BTW—Is Dumbledore's Elder Wand a hand-me-down or an award?—something to think about.
Didn't he get it when he defeated Grindelwald?

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old December 31st, 2014, 1:00 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
Didn't he get it when he defeated Grindelwald?
I was just considering that the wand really belonged to no one [it had changed allegiance so often] - so is it a hand-me-down, or an award/reward for defeating a previous owner - because Dumbledore obviously had his own wand up until that duel with Gellert - even though he used the Elder Wand from that time on.

This talking about individual wands just caused that thought/question to pop into my head. Nothing more.

Pottermore: MahoganyFrog20318

Pottermore: Ilvermorny: Thunderbird
Old January 11th, 2015, 6:43 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
I was just considering that the wand really belonged to no one [it had changed allegiance so often] - so is it a hand-me-down, or an award/reward for defeating a previous owner - because Dumbledore obviously had his own wand up until that duel with Gellert - even though he used the Elder Wand from that time on.

This talking about individual wands just caused that thought/question to pop into my head. Nothing more.
It's been a while since I read DH, so I may be remembering wrongly, but I think it was implied that the wand allies itself with the wizard it sees as more powerful. I don't think it's a hand-me-down, as it is won and lost in conflict rather than passed on. I don't know if it's a reward, either, as its owner usually becomes a target. Plus, wands in the series seem to have some degree of sentience. While most wands are loyal to the witch or wizard they are matched to, the Elder Wand is fickle - it chooses to be with the winner, and it jumps ship when it senses its master has been overcome. I think the Elder Wand has something of its creator's essence in it, and detests defeat, just as extremely he did.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old January 11th, 2015, 7:40 pm
Sixth Year

The Elder Wand is supposedly the most fickle of all wands, because it will switch allegiance even if it's Master isn't beaten in a Wizard's Duel like it did with Draco.

And like mentioned, it could just be because it doesn't like being stuck on weaker wizards and will immediately jump ship under the flimsiest of justifications to someone it senses is stronger.

Still, I have to wonder just HOW Dumbledore defeated Grindelwald. Unless he WANTED to lose.

Last edited by ShadowSonic; January 11th, 2015 at 8:12 pm.
Old January 12th, 2015, 12:22 am
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
I agree that it's not common, but I imagine it isn't unheard of in the cases of impoverished families (e.g. Ron/Charlie), deceased/debilitated ancestors (e.g. Neville), or unusual circumstances. From Pottermore we know that ash wands are particularly poor secondhand. With black walnut wands, "if the witch or wizard is unable or unwilling to be honest with themselves or others, the wand often fails to perform adequately and must be matched with a new owner if it is to regain its former prowess" (not necessarily secondhand, but more of a 'used and returned' wand). A hazel wand "often 'wilts' (which is to say, it expels all its magic and refuses to perform, often necessitating the extraction of the core and its insertion into another casing, if the wand is still required) at the end of its master's life," which indicates that wands may still be "required" after an original master's death.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic View Post
Still, I have to wonder just HOW Dumbledore defeated Grindelwald. Unless he WANTED to lose.
I'm confused by the "unless" here. Nothing in the text indicates, to me, why Dumbledore would not be able to defeat Grindelwald fairly. I presume he defeated Grindelwald with his prodigious magical and dueling skill that we see represented in his battle with Voldemort in OotP (remembering that his goal in that duel was to delay Voldemort so the Ministry could see him).

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old January 12th, 2015, 12:34 am
Sixth Year

Even without the Elder Wand, Grindelwald was supposed to still be some super-powerful Dark Wizard. With the Elder Wand he was supposedly unstoppable until Dumbledore defeated him in some massive battle. It's just that for all the Elder Wand's supposed power it was never explained how DD beat a guy who was his equal WITHOUT the Wand boosting him.

The Elder Wand's power seems more informed than shown, because we barely see it do anything.

Old January 12th, 2015, 1:48 am
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic View Post
Even without the Elder Wand, Grindelwald was supposed to still be some super-powerful Dark Wizard. With the Elder Wand he was supposedly unstoppable until Dumbledore defeated him in some massive battle. It's just that for all the Elder Wand's supposed power it was never explained how DD beat a guy who was his equal WITHOUT the Wand boosting him.

The Elder Wand's power seems more informed than shown, because we barely see it do anything.
I feel like this "power boost" is often exaggerated (as are the qualities of the other Deathly Hallows and what it means to be Master of Death). The only unique ability of the Elder Wand we see is mending Harry's (and possibly Hagrid's) wand. I've seen this question raised before: how much of Dumbledore's ability is because of the Elder Wand? We can't quite answer it, but we know that he defeated Grindelwald without it. And that he can accomplish that feat when we know Grindelwald was incredibly talented as well (before and after having the Elder Wand) indicates that we can't detract from Dumbledore's ability. Instead, I think it shows that the Elder Wand really doesn't sway the scales all that much in a duel, no matter what The Tale of the Three Brothers (a fictitious tale) says. Otherwise, how could Dumbledore beat Grindelwald, or Egbert the Egregious defeat Emeric the Evil, or Voldemort hold his own against Dumbledore? Or, if it does sway the scales, true magical ability and motivation plays just as big a part (e.g. Molly's passion to kill Bellatrix; perhaps an intensity like that would nullify any extra edge given by the Elder Wand). That is why it would be unlikely, in my opinion, for, say, Hannah Abbott armed with the Elder Wand to defeat Voldemort in a duel: any "power boost" from the Elder Wand would be limited.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old January 18th, 2015, 6:08 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
That is why it would be unlikely, in my opinion, for, say, Hannah Abbott armed with the Elder Wand to defeat Voldemort in a duel: any "power boost" from the Elder Wand would be limited.
I don't know, I'm inclined to agree with you that the wand doesn't actually confer any special power on the master. On the other hand, some fans think Dumbledore wanted Snape to have the wand so that he could kill Voldemort if Harry died. This implies that they think that the wand would have given Snape sufficient power to overcome Voldemort so there might be some truth to the legend. But despite this theory, I think that the books suggest that there really isn't any special power residing in the wand itself, it's just drawn to power.

Old January 18th, 2015, 6:40 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereena View Post
I don't know, I'm inclined to agree with you that the wand doesn't actually confer any special power on the master. On the other hand, some fans think Dumbledore wanted Snape to have the wand so that he could kill Voldemort if Harry died. This implies that they think that the wand would have given Snape sufficient power to overcome Voldemort so there might be some truth to the legend. But despite this theory, I think that the books suggest that there really isn't any special power residing in the wand itself, it's just drawn to power.
I think the witch or wizard matters more, but the Elder Wand is still depicted as ridiculously overpowered, though. It was able to repair Harry's wand-- something that not even a master wandmaker would be able to do. It appears it is the only wand capable of such feats. However, I don't think power alone is enough. It will not give its wielder competence, skill, courage, a cool head, quick thinking, creativity, or cunning.

"UNTIL THE VERY END"
-- JK Rowling to Harry Potter fans at the beginning of Deathly Hallows, and James Potter to his son at the end of Deathly Hallows.
Old January 18th, 2015, 10:13 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMotherCrow View Post
I think the witch or wizard matters more, but the Elder Wand is still depicted as ridiculously overpowered, though. It was able to repair Harry's wand-- something that not even a master wandmaker would be able to do. It appears it is the only wand capable of such feats. However, I don't think power alone is enough. It will not give its wielder competence, skill, courage, a cool head, quick thinking, creativity, or cunning.
Aside from it being able to repair Harry's wand, what powerful magic did we see the wand do? I don't remember. Since Dumbledore had the Elder Wand while he was duelling Voldemort, then why didn't he win? And how on earth could Snape win at something Dumbledore himself failed at?

Old January 19th, 2015, 12:10 am
First Year

Quote:
Since Dumbledore had the Elder Wand while he was duelling Voldemort, then why didn't he win?
IIRC, DD didn't want to defeat Voldie there and then (since the Prophecy said that Harry had to do it), but rather keep him occupied until Ministry officials arrived, so they could see that He That Shall Not Be Named truly had returned.

Old January 19th, 2015, 12:16 am
Renegade

Quote:
Aside from it being able to repair Harry's wand, what powerful magic did we see the wand do? I don't remember. Since Dumbledore had the Elder Wand while he was duelling Voldemort, then why didn't he win? And how on earth could Snape win at something Dumbledore himself failed at?
First of all, Snape wouldn't have been winning anything with that wand, as he would never have been master of it. Its power was intended to die with the undefeated Dumbledore. Draco messed that bit up.

As for why Dumbledore was unable to defeat Voldemort at the MoM, I think we're intended to understand that fate played a heavy role in determining just who could, or would, take Voldemort down. Dumbledore was not destined to be the wizard who would end him.

We read tiny bits of the extraordinary power of the Elder Wand in "The Prince's Tale" and in Harry's "Expeliarmus!" in his final fight with Voldemort. The wand left Voldy's hand and went straight to the master it "would not kill," the master who had come to claim it at last. I think the wand's power also came into play when Harry sacrificed himself to Voldemort in the forest, along with the blood bond and a few other things.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old January 19th, 2015, 12:19 am
Sixth Year

I don't really get the whole "Prophecy" thing. I mean, a lot of the Prophecy was really down to a lot of coincidences and plain dumb luck. Doesn't that mean it's possible to achieve an end without slaving to an incoherent prophecy in the first place?

Old January 19th, 2015, 2:39 am
First Year

I agree with ShadowSonic. It does seem a bit vague when lucky circumstances achieve the end to the means to the prophesy. Of course, I still love the stories! The supposed "Sybill Trelawney prophecy" could have been about Harry or Neville. But, I'm pretty sure that those two weren't the only ones, "born as the seventh month dies..." The parents , however, had to, "born to those who have thrice defied him". Considering it is Voldemort, I'm sure many from the order have, at least, attempted to defy him, even if unsuccessful.

I do agree that Dumbledore could've have ended the Voldemort Show. Secondly, it does not make sense for Dumbledore to let Harry do Voldemort in, if, Dumbledore had the Elder wand to finish him off. I find that to be a very good question with an assortment of answers, except of course, we revert back to the prophesy and let Harry Potter do Voldemort in, for plots sake!

I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours...

RAVENCLAW

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone