Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Little Questions Answered v.21

Old September 9th, 2012, 11:50 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Little Questions Answered v.21

Didn't he say that he was allowed to use magic in getting Harry? That's why he didn't get in trouble for giving Dudley a pig's tail (though Dudley was a little kid, which still should've gotten him in trouble...).

Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2012, 6:45 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic View Post
Didn't he say that he was allowed to use magic in getting Harry? That's why he didn't get in trouble for giving Dudley a pig's tail (though Dudley was a little kid, which still should've gotten him in trouble...).
Hagrid only had permission to use magic until he got to Harry and was in a position to bring him back. Here's a quote from PS/SS from Hagrid; he also takes liberty with the rules:

SS, chapter 5, pages 63-64 US hardcover
Harry followed Hagrid out onto the rock. The sky was quite clear now and the sea gleamed in the sunlight. The boat Uncle Vernon had hired was still there, with a lot of water in the bottom after the storm.

"How did you get here?" Harry asked, looking around for another boat.

"Flew," said Hagrid.

"Flew?

"Yeah -- but we'll go back in this. Not s'pposed to ter use magic now I've got yeh."

They settled down in the boat, Harry still staring at Hagrid, trying to imagine him flying.

"Seems a shame ter row, though," said Hagrid, giving Harry another of his sideways looks. "If I was ter --er -- speed things up a bit, would you mind not mentionin' it at Hogwarts?"

"Of course not," said Harry, eager to see more magic. Hagrid pulled out the pink umbrella again, tapped it twice on the side of the boat, and they sped off toward land.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old September 10th, 2012, 2:15 pm
Sixth Year

....So how did the Dursleys get off the island if Hagrid took their boat? That place didn't have a phone so they couldn't call for another one.

Old September 10th, 2012, 11:49 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

This is an unsolved mystery. We had hoped it would have been mentioned in Pottermore, but no such luck. Some think Hagrid sent the boat back. Others think when the Dursleys didn't show up, the owner of the boat came looking for them. Maybe someday we will find out.

Old September 11th, 2012, 12:32 am
Sixth Year

Bah, given how fat Vernon and Dudley were it would serve them right if Petunia used them as flotation devices while swimming home...

Old September 11th, 2012, 12:52 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic View Post
Bah, given how fat Vernon and Dudley were it would serve them right if Petunia used them as flotation devices while swimming home...

Old September 16th, 2012, 5:44 am
First Year

Know what I'm curious about?

What happened to the fallen warriors in the Battle of Hogwarts? Most main characters who died earlier in the series had no bodies to be buried - where were Remus, Tonks, Colin Creevey, Snape, Lavender (?), and Fred buried? Were they battled on the grounds - next to the White Tomb, as lasting memorials to the bravery of those who fought?

Just something to ponder.

Me and one of my best friends post-DH2.
Old September 16th, 2012, 6:59 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Gambon View Post

What happened to the fallen warriors in the Battle of Hogwarts? Most main characters who died earlier in the series had no bodies to be buried - where were Remus, Tonks, Colin Creevey, Snape, Lavender (?), and Fred buried? Were they battled on the grounds - next to the White Tomb, as lasting memorials to the bravery of those who fought?

I think you're confusing the movies and books here, there's nothing in the books to support that Lavender dies, and there's nothing in the movie really, either. In the book, Hermione blasts Fenrir away with a spell as he's approaching Lavender to attack so he never bites her or kills her (Lavender is described as "feeble" but also "stirring", so was likely knocked out by a spell in battle). But never confirmed as dead. Nor in the movies, which unfolds about the same way.

As far as burials for those who died, most likely they were buried where their families had plots, either where they lived or in church cemetaries if they were at all religious.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old September 16th, 2012, 8:03 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:

I agree with HedwigOwl that they're all probably buried in family plots, but Snape? His bones are probably back there in the Shrieking Shack!

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old September 16th, 2012, 8:28 am
First Year

Quote:
I think you're confusing the movies and books here, there's nothing in the books to support that Lavender dies, and there's nothing in the movie really, either. In the book, Hermione blasts Fenrir away with a spell as he's approaching Lavender to attack so he never bites her or kills her (Lavender is described as "feeble" but also "stirring", so was likely knocked out by a spell in battle). But never confirmed as dead. Nor in the movies, which unfolds about the same way.
That's why I put the question mark after her, it's never confirmed one way or the other, and I figured, well, seeing as she might have died, it would be an insult to her memory not to include her name.

Digging the signature, by the way. I just watched the first Matt Smith episode, and it's just not the same

Me and one of my best friends post-DH2.
Old September 16th, 2012, 9:44 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
I doubt they would all have been buried at Hogwarts. I agree with HedwigOwl that they would probably have been buried in family plots. For a couple of reasons - I doubt that the Hogwarts grounds would have been turned into a cemetery. Plus, I think the families of the deceased would have preferred a more accessible gravesite to visit - particularly with those who had Muggle families like Colin. Hogwarts security wouldn't really make for an accessible gravesite to visit, even for wizarding families.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
I agree with HedwigOwl that they're all probably buried in family plots, but Snape? His bones are probably back there in the Shrieking Shack!
I doubt it. Once his allegiance was known, his remains would have been given a proper burial by Harry, or the Order or the Ministry. I see no reason why they would leave his remains in the Shack.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old September 16th, 2012, 2:50 pm
Third Year

I've always wondered whose body Trelawney and Parvati were weeping over in the DH2 movie. Must've been either Padma or Lavender I guess

Old September 16th, 2012, 2:53 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRW View Post
I've always wondered whose body Trelawney and Parvati were weeping over in the DH2 movie. Must've been either Padma or Lavender I guess
It's meant to be Lavender's, I think, even though she lived in the book.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?”
And I will say, “Always.”
- source unknown
Old September 16th, 2012, 5:56 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
I suspect that once Snape's true role was established Harry and the other Order members would have sorted out a funeral for him. Given the length of his time at Hogwarts a large part of me hopes that he was buried near Dumbledore....

Old September 16th, 2012, 8:24 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
I can't imagine a body being allowed to decompose in a public place. They moved him. He was probably buried in a small plot next to his parents, assuming they're dead as well.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?”
And I will say, “Always.”
- source unknown
Old September 16th, 2012, 10:37 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post
I can't imagine a body being allowed to decompose in a public place. They moved him. He was probably buried in a small plot next to his parents, assuming they're dead as well.
The Shrieking Shack isn't public and I was being mildly ironic anyway.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old September 16th, 2012, 11:03 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I know it wasn't mentioned, but I hope no one came back as a ghost. I think the only one who was confirmed as not a ghost was Voldemort. A lot of people thought Voldemort would come back as a ghost because he was afraid of death, but Jo mentioned in a post-DH interview that he didn't. he moved on, but she didn't say where.

Old September 17th, 2012, 12:58 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
I know it wasn't mentioned, but I hope no one came back as a ghost. I think the only one who was confirmed as not a ghost was Voldemort. A lot of people thought Voldemort would come back as a ghost because he was afraid of death, but Jo mentioned in a post-DH interview that he didn't. he moved on, but she didn't say where.
Thats true about Voldemort.
I can't imagine any of the fallen warriors would come back as ghosts. If they were willing to risk their lives in the Hogwarts battle than they probably aren't afraid of death.

Old September 17th, 2012, 12:59 am
The Potions Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
I think LV's soul was so damaged that he was unable to remain as a ghost. He certainly had the requisite fear of death to qualify.

Mugglenet.com Editorial: The Flaw in the Plan
Potion notes: noxspell.org

NoxSpell7790 on Pottermore and still Slytherin!
Ebony, Phoenix Feather, 11-3/4" . . . Unyielding

Old September 17th, 2012, 1:21 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post
I think his parents must have been dead as he was living by himself (apart from Wormtail) at Spinners End and I assume that was his family home.

Jo was fond of killing off the 'grandparent' generation wasn't she? James & Lily's parents were both dead, Sirius' and one assumes Snape's. Considering wizards/witches are supposed to live longer than Muggles, that seems quite a lot of people who should have been in the 60/70 age group to die.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone