Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Little Questions Answered v.21

Old October 18th, 2012, 1:31 pm
First Year

Re: Little Questions Answered v.21

Sorry, I should have clarified - I think that DD should have arranged summers at another wizarding family even before Harry turned 11. Sorry.

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2012, 6:50 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernZel View Post
Sorry, I should have clarified - I think that DD should have arranged summers at another wizarding family even before Harry turned 11. Sorry.
Since the Dursley's were so desperate that Harry not be a wizard and not go to Hogwarts (as shown in the first book) they probably would have been furious if Dumbledore wanted to introduce Harry to a wizarding family and would have insisted that he was not a wizard. They wouldn't have let him go anywhere near the wizarding world and I'm guessing that Dumbledore wouldn't have forced them to either (he doesn't seem the type).

Old October 18th, 2012, 6:54 pm
Sixth Year

All it took to get the Dursleys in line was a Howler from DD. If he came right to their home and told them his intentions to have Harry see other wizards, no way they oppose him.

Old October 18th, 2012, 7:00 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic View Post
All it took to get the Dursleys in line was a Howler from DD. If he came right to their home and told them his intentions to have Harry see other wizards, no way they oppose him.
That's a possibility.
And I just remembered something too: I think it was in the first book that Dumbledore says he didn't want Harry introduced to the wizarding world when he was young because Harry was so famous and there were so many rumors flying around about him and Dumbledore thought it would be too much for him (or at least, that's what I remember reading?)

Old October 18th, 2012, 7:13 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf17 View Post
That's a possibility.
And I just remembered something too: I think it was in the first book that Dumbledore says he didn't want Harry introduced to the wizarding world when he was young because Harry was so famous and there were so many rumors flying around about him and Dumbledore thought it would be too much for him (or at least, that's what I remember reading?)
I think DD was concerned about Harry's fame.Those who fought against Voldemort would want to place him on a pedestal. Those who were with Voldemort thought there was a chance Harry could be a new dark wizard they could rally around, because he was able to defeat the Dark Lord. My guess is that DD wanted Harry to have a chance at a normal childhood, away from all of that.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, After all this time?
And I will say, Always.
- source unknown
Old October 18th, 2012, 8:03 pm
Sixth Year

...Didn't quite work out though. DD's lucky Harry wasn't more messed up by the Dursleys (and frankly, given the descriptions we're given of how he was treated, he should've been more messed up). He could've just told these other wizards not to mention Voldemort or Harry's legacy to him.

Old October 18th, 2012, 9:37 pm
Second Year

Quote:
He could've just told these other wizards not to mention Voldemort or Harry's legacy to him.
Once he was living in the wizarding world someone would have slipped up. Remember peopl recognized him and kept on bowing at him leaving him really confused.

The Dursleys should have simply treated him better. I understand Ptunia's situation and I do feel for her. Being in someone's shadow is an awful feeling and she could never be as good as Lily because she was not magical. I get that Petunia did not want Dudley to feel like her when she was growing up with Lily but still she did not have to show Harry favouritism. They could have at least treated him like a human being.

Old October 19th, 2012, 1:25 am
Sixth Year

I think Petunia's "less favored" thing was all in her head to begin with, she's the only one who ever goes on about how her parents preferred Lily. We never get any flashbacks that really prove it. It was all just jealousy on her behalf, convincing herself she was less favored when her parents likely didn't play favorites.

Even she realized this when DD called her out on how she raised Dudley, spoiling him so badly it probably would make it hard for him to live an adult life.

Old October 19th, 2012, 9:21 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
I think Petunia's "less favored" thing was all in her head to begin with, she's the only one who ever goes on about how her parents preferred Lily. We never get any flashbacks that really prove it. It was all just jealousy on her behalf, convincing herself she was less favored when her parents likely didn't play favorites.
While I agree that her parents probably didn't play favorites, I think its likely that they showed more enthusiasm for Lily. Lily was away for most of the year and then apparently demonstrated magic to her parents when home.

Old October 19th, 2012, 10:08 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
Lily was away for most of the year and then apparently demonstrated magic to her parents when home.
I don't think she did that. I think the underage magic law was in effect then too.

Old October 19th, 2012, 12:17 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
While I agree that her parents probably didn't play favorites, I think its likely that they showed more enthusiasm for Lily. Lily was away for most of the year and then apparently demonstrated magic to her parents when home.
I agree. It's sort of like having one child with a severe illness - the parents love them both, but due to circumstances the sick child ends up with most of the attention. While Lily wasn't sick, she did have an ability they probably saw as very unusual, and it brought her much of the focus.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, After all this time?
And I will say, Always.
- source unknown
Old October 19th, 2012, 10:02 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Harry might not have been physically abused, but he was locked in the cupboard on more than one occasion. Especially in COS when the Dursleys found out he wasn't allowed to do magic. When he was younger, he was let out for meals and school. In COS, he couldn't even come out for meals, Petunia served him his meals through a cat flap. Dumbledore knew he wasn't being treated properly, because he was disappointed when he saw how thin and scrawny Harry looked when he first came to Hogwarts. But, he didn't want to interfere. Things could have been really bad for Harry if Dumbledore said anything, in my opinion. And I am glad that Harry was allowed to stay at the Weasleys. Harry had to call Privet Drive his home. this was spelled out in DH when Harry was leaving the Dursleys for the last time. The charm broke only when he no longer called Privet Drive home. He verbally state that he was no longer going to live at Privet Drive.

Old October 19th, 2012, 10:30 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulatto View Post
I don't think she did that. I think the underage magic law was in effect then too.
Petunia mentions Lily performing magic and I think Jo has said that she skirted the rules.

Old October 19th, 2012, 11:32 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
Things could have been really bad for Harry if Dumbledore said anything, in my opinion.
I don't see how. All it took to scare the Dursleys into good behavior in OOTP was a Howler from DD.

Old October 20th, 2012, 4:00 am
Second Year

Petunia could have been exaggerating about doing magic but I think Lily did do some magic similar to Harry. I think JKR mentioned that she got her fair share of letters.

Old October 20th, 2012, 9:52 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
I don't see how. All it took to scare the Dursleys into good behavior in OOTP was a Howler from DD.
There was always the chance that the Dursleys could end the arrangement. Its possible that Dumbledore could have forced them but I'm not sure if he would have done so.

Old October 20th, 2012, 9:17 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
I don't think Lily would have done that. I agree with ShadowSonic that the "favorites" thing was in Petunia's mind rather than reality. I think that Petunia was probably jealous because there was something Lily could do that Petunia never could do, and at times Petunia also seems alarmed at the idea of magic, probably from all the things Lily told her about what they were learning.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old October 20th, 2012, 10:09 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
I don't think Lily would have done that. I agree with ShadowSonic that the "favorites" thing was in Petunia's mind rather than reality. I think that Petunia was probably jealous because there was something Lily could do that Petunia never could do, and at times Petunia also seems alarmed at the idea of magic, probably from all the things Lily told her about what they were learning.
I agree that it was all in Petunia's mind but it would have been easy for a eleven/twelve year old girl to misinterpret her parents and Lily's actions.

Old October 20th, 2012, 10:37 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
I agree that it was all in Petunia's mind but it would have been easy for a eleven/twelve year old girl to misinterpret her parents and Lily's actions.
Petunia was older than Lily, probably by 2 years at least. The only referral of conversation we have from her parents -- if Petunia's memory is correct -- is "Lily this and Lily that, and they were proud that they had a witch in the family". Sounds similar to "Bill this and Bill that, proud that he made first string on the soccer team", and talking about his games. Big deal. I'm sure they were the same when Petunia brought home good grades at school (which being a perfectionist she no doubt did); Petunia just doesn't say does she? I think Petunia couldn't come to terms with being regular instead of magical just because of "unlucky" genes. I don't think it's any different than a kid having athletic abiity, and another one being rather uncoordinated. Instead of accepting that everyone's born with different abilities and flaws, Petunia chose to see it as unfair, and stuck to that perception and projected the blame on Lily rather than random chance.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old October 20th, 2012, 11:25 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
Sounds similar to "Bill this and Bill that, proud that he made first string on the soccer team", and talking about his games.
Yea, in some cases this is enough for a sibling to start feeling jealous. Especially if they kept on talking about Bill and wondering how his training went and how they wished he was with them and how they couldn't wait to see him again etc.

I'm sure her parents congratulated her for her great grades but were they as excited for it as they were when Lily turned teacups into rats ?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone