Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Is there anything in the movies that you like more than in the books?

Old March 14th, 2012, 12:16 pm
Second Year

Re: Is there anything in the movies that you like more than in the books?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
Another thing I wish had been in the books: Neville and Luna. I got a real kick out of that in DH 2. NL/LL have been a popular fanfic 'ship for quite a while.
I definitely agree with this. I've been shipping Neville and Luna ever since The Order of the Phoenix. I already knew how they both ended up from the book, so I wasn't expecting anything. But when I heard Neville say, "Have you seen Luna?!", my breath caught in throat. No...no, they aren't, I couldn't get my hopes up... But then he ran off to find her, and I honestly could have done backflips in the theater. My smile was ear to ear.

Favourite Subject: Charms
Quidditch Position: Keeper
Patronus: Polar Bear
Pottermore: Ravenclaw / 14 and 1/2'', Hornbeam, Unicorn Hair, Solid
Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2012, 6:00 pm
First Year

I liked Ron and Hermione's kiss more in the movie. The reason for Hermione kissing Ron is beautiful in the book, don't get me wrong, but I found it a bit odd that Harry witnessed it all in the book. Obviously he had to as the book is centred around him, but I preferred the privacy they had in the movie. It was beautiful!

Old June 7th, 2012, 6:15 pm
Second Year

Slughorn's story about Lily's gift. Well written, exquisitely acted by Jim Broadbent.

Oppugno! Harry and Hermione on the stairs. One of those moments that really showed how much Dan and Emma had grown up themselves, and grown into their characters.

Severus Snape going into the Potters' house and finding Lily's body. It only really occurred to me recently that this is a replacement for finding the letter in Grimmauld Place, and whilst that may have worked OK on screen, this was so much more impactful, thanks to Alan Rickman's heartbreaking performance.

Harry's possession by Voldemort - I know I keep banging on about that scene, but I just can't help it.

You're the weak one. And you'll never know love, or friendship. And I feel sorry for you.

I'm LightChaser4263 on Pottermore.
Feel free to add me as a friend, but please owl me first on CoS. Thanks!
Proud member of Gryffindor House in the Chamber of Secrets and on Pottermore.
Old June 7th, 2012, 10:16 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I like how Hogwarts looks on the big screen. I also like the Chamber of Secrets, the whole scene starting when harry asked Myrtle how she died, then he opened the Chamber with the Parseltongue and everything in between.
I also liked the Quidditch World Cup, but I wish there was more of it. And Dumbledore and Voldemort having their duel, and everrything exploded in the Dept. of Mysteries. Watching Fudge's image come crashing down, it reminds me of how Fudge is going to fall in the next book. Also there was a close-up of the Daily Prophet which mentioned that Fudge was going to be sacked.

Old June 7th, 2012, 11:01 pm
Second Year

Deathly Hallows Part 1, Godric's Hollow.

In the book, Harry and Hermione use Polyjuice Potion before apparating into Godric's Hollow.

In the film, Hermione says they should have used Polyjuice, but Harry says:

Quote:
No. This is where I was born. I'm not returning as someone else.
Excellent change IMO.

You're the weak one. And you'll never know love, or friendship. And I feel sorry for you.

Old June 8th, 2012, 12:59 am
Second Year

The encounter of Harry and Sirius at Grimmauld Place, and dialogue and their hug in front of the Black family tree.

Old June 8th, 2012, 5:15 pm
Second Year

Chamber of Secrets: In the book, Harry puts the diary in a sock and hands it to Lucius. Lucius discards the sock, freeing Dobby. Rather careless of him.

In the film, Harry hides the sock inside the pages of the diary. Makes much more sense.

Old June 11th, 2012, 4:15 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakes View Post
Deathly Hallows Part 1, Godric's Hollow.

In the book, Harry and Hermione use Polyjuice Potion before apparating into Godric's Hollow.

In the film, Hermione says they should have used Polyjuice, but Harry says:

Excellent change IMO.
I agree with this. I was very happy about this change. Using Polyjuice Potion while visiting Godric's Hollow was fine in the book, because we were still getting Harry's thoughts throughout the whole thing. But in the movie, it wouldn't have made as much of an impact it had been two random Muggles in the scene. Seeing Harry crying at and reflecting over his parents' grave was heartbreaking.

"But he understood at last what Dumbledore had been trying to tell him. It was, he thought, the difference between being dragged into the arena to face a battle to the death and walking into the arena with your head held high. Some people, perhaps, would say that there was little to choose between the two ways, but Dumbledore knew - and so do I, thought Harry, with a rush of fierce pride, and so did my parents - that there was all the difference in the world."
Old June 13th, 2012, 1:09 am
First Year

I'v always thought that everything from Neville bringing HRH into the Room of Requirement in Deathly Hallows Part Two to Neville blowing up the bridge was better than the book. It was more exciting and worked very well on film, I thought.

Old June 15th, 2012, 2:01 am
Second Year

Surprisingly, i really liked the 'dancing' scene between Harry and Hermione in DH1. I say surprisingly, as in previous films i have never really enjoyed 'additional' scenes that film makers have added that were not initially included in the books (minus the moment where McGonagall attempts to teach Ron how to waltz).

However, the films have never really explored the friendship that Harry and Hermione share, mainly choosing to focus Ron and Harry's relationship instead, therefore it was a nice moment to watch.

Despite what others think and argue, i disagree that the scene was written purely for Kloves to make one last-ditch attempt to make Harry/Hermione canon; more, a scene written to show a 'brother' trying to cheer his 'sister' up.

As horrible as this may sound, the films never really showed film Harry giving much thought towards others, often absorbed in his own personal world of death and misery, so it was nice to see a moment where he put a friend before himself, and temporarily forgot his anger and resentment towards Ron's departure, in favour of doing something 'silly' just to put a smile back on Hermione's face, if only temporarily.

Plus, the silly dancing somewhat brought back the innocence of their youth, and the reminder of their childhood days when their worst fears were narrowed down to losing house points, or losing to Slytherin at Quidditch.

Until the very end.
Old June 17th, 2012, 6:56 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorey1 View Post
Surprisingly, i really liked the 'dancing' scene between Harry and Hermione in DH1. I say surprisingly, as in previous films i have never really enjoyed 'additional' scenes that film makers have added that were not initially included in the books (minus the moment where McGonagall attempts to teach Ron how to waltz).

However, the films have never really explored the friendship that Harry and Hermione share, mainly choosing to focus Ron and Harry's relationship instead, therefore it was a nice moment to watch.

Despite what others think and argue, i disagree that the scene was written purely for Kloves to make one last-ditch attempt to make Harry/Hermione canon; more, a scene written to show a 'brother' trying to cheer his 'sister' up.

As horrible as this may sound, the films never really showed film Harry giving much thought towards others, often absorbed in his own personal world of death and misery, so it was nice to see a moment where he put a friend before himself, and temporarily forgot his anger and resentment towards Ron's departure, in favour of doing something 'silly' just to put a smile back on Hermione's face, if only temporarily.

Plus, the silly dancing somewhat brought back the innocence of their youth, and the reminder of their childhood days when their worst fears were narrowed down to losing house points, or losing to Slytherin at Quidditch.
Quote:
Chamber of Secrets: In the book, Harry puts the diary in a sock and hands it to Lucius. Lucius discards the sock, freeing Dobby. Rather careless of him.

In the film, Harry hides the sock inside the pages of the diary. Makes much more sense.
I agree with both of these

Old June 20th, 2012, 11:30 pm
Second Year

Emma Thompson, Prisoner of Azkaban:

My dear, from the first moment you stepped foot in my class I sensed that you did not possess the proper spirit for the noble art of divination. No, you see there? You may be young in years but the heart that beats beneath your bosom is as shriveled as an old maid's, your soul as dry as the pages of the books to which you so desperately cleave.

Old June 20th, 2012, 11:36 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Emma Thompson, Prisoner of Azkaban:

My dear, from the first moment you stepped foot in my class I sensed that you did not possess the proper spirit for the noble art of divination. No, you see there? You may be young in years but the heart that beats beneath your bosom is as shriveled as an old maid's, your soul as dry as the pages of the books to which you so desperately cleave.

Poor Hermione!

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old June 21st, 2012, 7:45 am
First Year

I enjoyed how they did not have Lucius and Arthur have a full on fist fight in CoS. I thought it was much better and more sinister with their encounter in the film - and I would not have liked to see hot Lucius bruised up!

I like how they made Hermione so beautiful in GoF. In the book, she was plain in a blue dress and had her hair in a bun *from what I remember* but in the film, she looked absolutely gorgeous. How Hermione is so 'plain' and know-it-all bookworm then she has her wonderful Cinderella moment <3

Reading above about freeing Dobby. I don`t think Lucius would have been that daft to take the diary out of the sock and hand it to Dobby so that was better done in the film.

Absolutely LOVED that Hermione and Harry go to Godric`s Hollow as themselves. It is Harry`s birth place and only makes sense, also very touching and heartbreaking when he is crying in front of his parent`s grave

Speaking of Godric`s Hollow, I enjoyed very much when Severus visits and he is cradling Lily in his arms, crying his tortured heart out I cried along..

I enjoyed the innuendo that Neville likes Luna and goes off to look for her - it was very sweet and you can tell her liked her so much. They are great together. Though, I also think Harry and Luna are good too..better than Ginny.

Must say really really loved how Scabior was the head snatcher instead of Greyback!! God, when Scabior went up on screen, Nice one, film makers!

And there are many other bits I enjoyed but 7a tells me it is time for coffee

Old July 8th, 2012, 11:56 pm
Third Year

I really like the Tale of the Three brothers in DH part 1. I really hadn't expected them to portray it as an animation but I thought that was a really nice idea!

Old July 9th, 2012, 9:06 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsmeeLeFay View Post

Absolutely LOVED that Hermione and Harry go to Godric`s Hollow as themselves. It is Harry`s birth place and only makes sense, also very touching and heartbreaking when he is crying in front of his parent`s grave
I agree with that. Harry, Ron, and Hermione spend about half the book in disguise, and I was wondering how they'd handle that for the movie. I'm glad they decided to chuck it completely for the Godric's Hollow scene, as it wouldn't have the emotional resonance it needed if we in the audience are seeing two complete strangers on screen. Harry's line about not coming back as someone else is perfectly in-character too.

My DeviantArt
Old July 9th, 2012, 9:36 pm
First Year

The time travel scene in POA.

Old July 14th, 2012, 7:38 pm
First Year

I like the movies interpretation of Umbridge a lot. Just like in the books she is really a character to hate. That giggle and her smug expressions made her even more unlikable.
Dudley, Moody, Hermione and Slughorn all look a bit different, but that's fine by me.

Harry's parents are way too old but I think it is an acceptable choice. If they were as young as they really were in the books it would have been harder to see them as parent figures.

I can't remember Snape ever really raising his voice in the movies, but I liked that too. Not that he did that much yelling and screaming in the books, but still.

Old August 5th, 2012, 11:00 pm
First Year

I thought that most every scene was done better in the book, the only two i can think of that were better in the movie are the final task in GoF (even though i loved the final task in the book, it would have been sort of boring in the film to watch him solving riddles and standing upside down, etc. so they did a good job changing it for the movie...) and Snape's memories in DH2 (only the part where Snape is sobbing while holding Lily's dead body...so beautifully acted by Alan Rickman, and so heartbreakingly tear-inducing! It's just slightly better than the book's scene, IMO).

Old August 6th, 2012, 2:05 am
First Year

I absolutely love the DH Part 1 Harry & Hermione dance scene. It's just so well done. The moment of happiness shared between two best friends in what seems like an absolutely hopeless situation. It's beautiful!

10 3/4 in, Unicorn core, Rowan, Rigid
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies