Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Is there anything in the movies that you like more than in the books?

Old May 27th, 2007, 6:20 am
Second Year

Re: Is there anything in the movies that you like more than in the books?

errrrrrrr, ummmmmm, well ok one thing. I LOVED the look on the DUrsleys face when Hagrid met them on the hut to tell Harry he was a wizard.

Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2007, 9:11 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I liked the Yule Ball scene in GOF a lot. I hadn't expected to, but it managed to be fun and a bit surreal and funny.

Old May 27th, 2007, 12:15 pm
Kingsley's Biggest Fan

Stan Shunpike in the POA film was hilarious, far better than in the book. Of course, the Knight Bus itself was ruined by those bloody talking heads, but at least Stan made up for it

Part of the Care Bear gang!
Old May 28th, 2007, 2:18 am
First Year

Re: Do you prefer the books or the films?

Well, for me that's a no brainer. The books, most definitely. They are the original, they hold the details, they are the importance, they are Harry Potter and the movies are based on them.
I love the movies and put them on often whether I sit down and watch them or keep them in background (such as now, CoS), but you will never get the entire brilliance and all the details of Harry Potter unless you have read the books.

Old May 31st, 2007, 7:58 pm
First Year

i 100% prefer the books over the movies!!!!

they IMO are so much more better than the movies. better details, longer, etc.

"You haven't got a godfather!"
"Yes. I have," said Harry brightly. "He was my mum and dad's best friend. He's a convicted murdered, but he's broken out of wizard prison and he's on the run. He likes to keep in touch with me, though...keep up with my news...check if I'm happy...."
~PoA, last page.
Old June 5th, 2007, 3:11 am
First Year

Yeah, I definitely prefer the books over the movies. I'm always like that though, with any movie adaptation. Movies are never exactly what you pictured when you were reading, so they can't ever completely live up to your expectations.

Old June 5th, 2007, 11:05 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I really enjoy the movies but I prefer the books. The movies do a great job of supplying me with images and sounds but the books always tell the story the best.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old June 5th, 2007, 2:06 pm
First Year

books, definitely. there's nothing wrong with the movies and i do like the actors and actresses and all, but for me the books are more detailed.

Old June 5th, 2007, 2:10 pm
Fifth Year

Definitely the books. The fabric is so much richer in the books. And things just aren't as I imagined them in the films.

3. Be excellent to each other.
4. If in doubt check the FAQ.

If you break them you won't get a permission slip for Hogsmede. Now let the feast commence."
Old June 5th, 2007, 3:59 pm
Second Year

I personally like the books better. I feel like I'm actually in Harry's life when I'm reading the books, because they're so descriptive. I have nothing against the movies though. They're good quality films, and although they don't always accurately portray the books, they are still good movie.

Old June 5th, 2007, 4:06 pm
First Year

I think that i perfer the books because its always the same places and people in my mind when i read..but in the movies it changes on me with each new movie so i like the books better because it never changes and its nice to be able to see what i want in my imagination instead of someone elses.....I still love the movies I own them all

92 percent of the world's teens would die if Abercombie and Fitch or Hollister told them it was uncool to breathe. Copy this in your sig if you would be the 8 percent that would be laughing your head off.

92% of teens moved on to rap music. If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your sig.
Old June 5th, 2007, 4:38 pm
Second Year

I prefer the books. The movies leave out so much of the story.

Old June 5th, 2007, 4:49 pm
First Year

I have to say I like both the books and the films. Each have their own pros and cons.

The books are always fabulous, such detail and depth. And I also enjoy picturing what is happening in the story as I'm reading it.
The films are great, its fantastic to see one of my favourite stories come to life, but unfortunately time is an issue here and there is only so much one can fit into 2 hours or so. I think that is the only problem with the films, they just don't go on long enough!

Overall I am happy with both mediums, but must take preference with the books as there are so many details and info you just dont get in the films.

Old June 5th, 2007, 5:03 pm
First Year

BOOKS! I like the films, but I LOVE the books. Every time there is a new movie oput, I will go and see it opening night, but I know that I will come out of te theatre saying 'The books are much better'. I don't think a movie can go into detail like a book can, especially books like Harry Potter.

If nobody's everybody then someone can be anybody!

The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution.
-Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, PS
Old June 5th, 2007, 5:05 pm
Second Year

This is a silly question. Of course the books are better as is usually with book to movie translation. I felt the movies had lost something more as each book they were based on got longer.

"You know, Minister, I disagree with Dumbledore on many counts
...but you cannot deny he's got style..."-Phineas Nigellus
Old June 5th, 2007, 8:51 pm
Fourth Year

Books have so much to offer. True the length can be daunting for someone who is not a rapid reader and might think that they will never finish, however, I challenge that individual to try. Honestly I had such a hard time putting the books down, that I would neglect my household...all this because I was a responsible parent and read the books before allowing my children to read them due to all the controversy. I think that JKR does a fantastic job of drawing us into that world and creating a word image that allows our minds to draw our own pictures.

As for the films, I have learned my lesson. I saw the first two before I had read the books. Then by the time the third film had come out I had read the books several times and was ready. Unfortunately I was sorely disappointed. I will never read the book so close to the movie release; I didn't enjoy the movie that way. Too much was different and I didnít allow myself the luxury of seeing the film for the filmís sake. I do like seeing what each director has brought from the books to the screen, but I still donít enjoy them half so much as reading the books. I have found that learning as much about each film, in addition to distancing myself from the book before the movie has helped.

Suffice it to say, that in our household...we have only one copy of each DVD, but each family member, save my husband and 5 year old son, have our own copies of the books, 5 sets in all! That is saying something. One day, even if it means on disk during our 6000 mile car ride, I may get my husband to read/hear the books, not just watch the movies.

We always, always have choices......and make no mistake, choosing to make no choice is a choice...take your time, think things through...and make wise choices!!! After all, "it is our choices, that show what we truely are, far more than our abilities."
Old June 5th, 2007, 9:24 pm
Suteki da ne

The books without a doubt. I really annoy my boyfriend by saying "this should have happened here, why hasn't that happened, they've changed that..."

If you change your mind
Old June 7th, 2007, 6:06 am
Second Year

i probably enjoy watching movies more than i like reading, but HP is a big exception... i have read the HP books many more times than i have watched the movies and every time i read one of the books, i feel like i'm standing next to harry and going with him to all his adventures

but while i prefer the books more, i rather discuss the movies than the books, i know that's weird, but i think it's because i'm not very opinionated and have a tough time choosing a side or theory to support... i guess i don't like getting to analyze books because i feel like i'm taking away the happiness i feel when i'm reading the books for fun

ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Old June 7th, 2007, 4:26 pm
First Year

I prefer the books by miles, I was disappointed with the Prisoner of Azkaban film as it's my favourite book and the film was kinda pants. I can't wait to see OOTP though, anything to fuel my Potter addiction

Old June 8th, 2007, 1:26 am
Fourth Year

The books.