Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services

Comments on: Technical Issues



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old September 14th, 2007, 12:31 am
Jessica's Avatar
Jessica  Female.gif Jessica is offline
Mouse
 
Joined: 5729 days
Location: Between a rock & a hard place
Age: 44
Posts: 4,392
Comments on: Technical Issues

Official Admin Sponsor(s): Ali & Kizz

This thread is for discussions on anything to do with the forums barring more specific issues related to technical problems.

You may also notice at the top of each forum is the official Admin Sponsor(s). Basically when an Administrator replies to this thread he or she will write in bold red Official Response on [subject]. For example, a person may ask about a particular problem with their Owls on CoS, so an admin would respond in such a manner:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizard
Official Response on Owls

The rule is blah blah blah...


This is to be taken as gospel and staff members will reply quoting this with any elaborations necessary at the time.

The official response will only ever be superceeded by an updated response to the original. You may however see other official responses but concerning different topics. Redundant responses will be deleted in place of new ones. A tally of our responses will be kept in a staff area.

Once an official response has been made it is the end of the matter and any further attempts to continue the discussion will be met with post deletion.

Staff members may of course reply to people until an official response is made by an Admin.

You should be aware that questions in this area may take longer to be answered than in other areas as a lot of us don't actually know the answer and so you often need to wait for Ali or Kizz to answer more technical questions.

Thank you.


__________________
Everyone loves Bas Döse, me especially.
They're the best band in the world.
I love them even more than Snape and cats.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old September 15th, 2007, 12:06 am
unconvinced  Male.gif unconvinced is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 4831 days
Posts: 2,009
Re: Comments on: Technical Issues

For some reason the search function doesn't seem to be working for me, when every I put what I want to search into the the box and hit the button it just refreshes the page. Any ideas why that might be happening?


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old September 15th, 2007, 12:09 am
Jessica's Avatar
Jessica  Female.gif Jessica is offline
Mouse
 
Joined: 5729 days
Location: Between a rock & a hard place
Age: 44
Posts: 4,392
Re: Comments on: Technical Issues

That's what it does when it doesn't find any matches. Try something you know is there and see if that works.


__________________
Everyone loves Bas Döse, me especially.
They're the best band in the world.
I love them even more than Snape and cats.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old September 15th, 2007, 5:34 am
adam_12's Avatar
adam_12  Male.gif adam_12 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4736 days
Location: Bassoonland
Age: 26
Posts: 884
Re: Comments on: Technical Issues

Or if what you're searching for isn't long enough, that might be happening. I think it won't accept it if you're searching for one four-letter word or something like that.


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old September 16th, 2007, 4:02 pm
silver ink pot's Avatar
silver ink pot  Female.gif silver ink pot is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5584 days
Location: Shining Snape's Halo
Age: 58
Posts: 9,778
Re: Comments on: Technical Issues

I'm suddenly not receiving e-mail notifications of my subscriptions, and I can't figure out why.

My profile seems to be set up correctly, and I've always gotten them in the past. I'm also receiving other e-mails, so I'm a little puzzled. When I look at my subscriptions, under "Notification" it says "Instant."

If it's any help, I had two Owls the other day, and wasn't notified of those either until I visited CoS. I haven't changed my e-mail address at all, so it's a mystery.

Thanks in advance for looking into that.


__________________


"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie


Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old September 16th, 2007, 5:05 pm
Liselle's Avatar
Liselle  Female.gif Liselle is offline
Knower of things
 
Joined: 5652 days
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,565
Re: Comments on: Technical Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_12 View Post
Or if what you're searching for isn't long enough, that might be happening. I think it won't accept it if you're searching for one four-letter word or something like that.
I think it's 3 characters or less, I know because I tried searching for a U2 thread before and although I knew it was there it wasn't returned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ink Pot"
I'm suddenly not receiving e-mail notifications of my subscriptions, and I can't figure out why.

My profile seems to be set up correctly, and I've always gotten them in the past. I'm also receiving other e-mails, so I'm a little puzzled. When I look at my subscriptions, under "Notification" it says "Instant."

If it's any help, I had two Owls the other day, and wasn't notified of those either until I visited CoS. I haven't changed my e-mail address at all, so it's a mystery.

Thanks in advance for looking into that.
Hmmm that is strange, I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else is having these issues. Not that I can think of a reason why it should happen but have the notifications gone to spam?


__________________
“Perhaps that is the secret. It is not what we do, so much as why we do it.”

Last edited by Liselle; September 16th, 2007 at 5:12 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old September 16th, 2007, 5:28 pm
silver ink pot's Avatar
silver ink pot  Female.gif silver ink pot is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5584 days
Location: Shining Snape's Halo
Age: 58
Posts: 9,778
Re: Comments on: Technical Issues

Liselle: My Spam folder is empty, and nothing from CoS has ever gone in there before.

I'm going to check my e-mail settings just in case, but I can't imagine how those would have been changed. I'm on AOL.


__________________


"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie


Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old September 16th, 2007, 5:32 pm
Tonks's Avatar
Tonks  Female.gif Tonks is offline
Mad Hatter
 
Joined: 4901 days
Age: 41
Posts: 2,114
Re: Comments on: Technical Issues

Emailing you privately Silver_Ink_Pot


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old September 16th, 2007, 7:29 pm
silver ink pot's Avatar
silver ink pot  Female.gif silver ink pot is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5584 days
Location: Shining Snape's Halo
Age: 58
Posts: 9,778
Re: Comments on: Technical Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonks View Post
Emailing you privately Silver_Ink_Pot
Thanks ~ but for instance, I got your Owl, but not an e-mail telling me it was there. And it didn't go into my Spam folder either.

And I've been testing other places that usually send me notifications and all that is working fine. This is a mystery.


__________________


"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie


Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old September 16th, 2007, 7:42 pm
Alastor's Avatar
Alastor  Male.gif Alastor is offline
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs
 
Joined: 5753 days
Posts: 6,478
Re: Comments on: Technical Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
Thanks ~ but for instance, I got your Owl, but not an e-mail telling me it was there. And it didn't go into my Spam folder either.

And I've been testing other places that usually send me notifications and all that is working fine. This is a mystery.
Is your problem by any chance similar to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller View Post
My email server is blockin e-mails from CoS, like subscriptions, because they are from an automated system. I need the Cos. E-mail address so I can unblock the address.
posted in Ask the Staff a few days ago?


__________________



Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old September 16th, 2007, 7:46 pm
8m57w6's Avatar
8m57w6  Female.gif 8m57w6 is offline
Rex's Mummy
 
Joined: 4292 days
Location: Wonderland
Age: 26
Posts: 735
Re: Comments on: Technical Issues

I've got an issue where when I choose the "Mark Forum Read" option, it doesn't alwyas respond. However it's only in some areas. If I do it in Flourish and Blotts, or Magical Masterpieces, it works fine right away, but in the Quidditch Pitch, or some of the DH areas, I have to do it 4 or 5 times, and sometimes it won't go at all. Is this an issue on my end, or is it just because those places get updated so quickly?? Not really a big problem ,just something I've been wondering about.


__________________

Meet Ziggy!!!!
(aka Mali)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old September 16th, 2007, 10:27 pm
ignisia's Avatar
ignisia  Female.gif ignisia is offline
Leader of the GLITTELUTION
 
Joined: 4554 days
Location: Sitting in a Tin Can
Age: 29
Posts: 4,418
Re: Comments on: Technical Issues

Hi, I've been having the same problem as SIP. In fact, it's been going on for me ever since DH was released. Do you think it's the email provider? Because I have AOL too, so maybe something's gone on with AOL screennames.

The odd thing is, prior to the release of DH, I could get the emails for thread updates easily. But now, zip, nada. Not even in the spam folder, I've checked.


__________________
I am incapable of hating someone who, instead of using a spell to guard the Sorcerer's Stone, uses a logic puzzle.
I'm sorry.



VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Avatar by SIP
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old September 16th, 2007, 10:31 pm
Chris's Avatar
Chris  Undisclosed.gif Chris is offline
Custodian of Hades Vault
 
Joined: 4318 days
Location: Monoc Securities
Posts: 4,653
Re: Comments on: Technical Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8m57w6 View Post
I've got an issue where when I choose the "Mark Forum Read" option, it doesn't alwyas respond. However it's only in some areas. If I do it in Flourish and Blotts, or Magical Masterpieces, it works fine right away, but in the Quidditch Pitch, or some of the DH areas, I have to do it 4 or 5 times, and sometimes it won't go at all. Is this an issue on my end, or is it just because those places get updated so quickly?? Not really a big problem ,just something I've been wondering about.
I'm not one of the technical admins, but some threads move fast enough that there will be new posts between when you hit the button and when you look again. So I think it's the updating is going so quickly .


__________________
RLF_Icons (signature)

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator


Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old September 16th, 2007, 10:55 pm
Tonks's Avatar
Tonks  Female.gif Tonks is offline
Mad Hatter
 
Joined: 4901 days
Age: 41
Posts: 2,114
Re: Comments on: Technical Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
Hi, I've been having the same problem as SIP. In fact, it's been going on for me ever since DH was released. Do you think it's the email provider? Because I have AOL too, so maybe something's gone on with AOL screennames.

The odd thing is, prior to the release of DH, I could get the emails for thread updates easily. But now, zip, nada. Not even in the spam folder, I've checked.
Hello!

I am looking into this one


Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old September 16th, 2007, 11:37 pm
Ali's Avatar
Ali  Male.gif Ali is offline
TheWizard
 
Joined: 5964 days
Location: UK
Age: 32
Posts: 1,822
Re: Comments on: Technical Issues

ignisia and silver ink pot... I think it's an AOL issue. They tend to block out all forum(in particular vbulletin) emails. It might be good enough of an excuse to change your emails to a non aol account, as AOL sucks. majorly.


__________________
^^^ Please keep in mind that my opinions are mine only and do NOT reflect those of the CoS Staff.

~ http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old September 16th, 2007, 11:40 pm
8m57w6's Avatar
8m57w6  Female.gif 8m57w6 is offline
Rex's Mummy
 
Joined: 4292 days
Location: Wonderland
Age: 26
Posts: 735
Re: Comments on: Technical Issues

Do you have any idea how much that reminds me of my brother?? AOL sucks was his motto for a while.

Anyway, thanks for the help chparadise!!


__________________

Meet Ziggy!!!!
(aka Mali)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old September 17th, 2007, 8:34 am
silver ink pot's Avatar
silver ink pot  Female.gif silver ink pot is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5584 days
Location: Shining Snape's Halo
Age: 58
Posts: 9,778
Re: Comments on: Technical Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
ignisia and silver ink pot... I think it's an AOL issue. They tend to block out all forum(in particular vbulletin) emails. It might be good enough of an excuse to change your emails to a non aol account, as AOL sucks. majorly.
I don't quite understand what you mean - I've had AOL the whole time I've been here and this has never happened. I checked my SPAM list and Cosforums is not blocked, and I never had any reason to block it. This happened all of a sudden around the exact end of August, near as I can tell, because it's been about two weeks since I've been notified of an Owl.

Nothing changed on my part, and I'm on a brand new computer that has been working fine with AOL, and I get notifications from Harry Potter Network and Livejournal too. Hmmmm.


__________________


"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie


Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old September 17th, 2007, 9:58 am
Liselle's Avatar
Liselle  Female.gif Liselle is offline
Knower of things
 
Joined: 5652 days
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,565
Re: Comments on: Technical Issues

Livejournal is not a vBulletin forum though, I'm not sure about HPN as I'm not a member there ~ so you would get Livejournal updates.

From what I've understood from Ali we've not changed anything on our side and from what you're saying you've not changed anything your side which would make me believe it's your ISP.


__________________
“Perhaps that is the secret. It is not what we do, so much as why we do it.”
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:09 am
silver ink pot's Avatar
silver ink pot  Female.gif silver ink pot is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5584 days
Location: Shining Snape's Halo
Age: 58
Posts: 9,778
Re: Comments on: Technical Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liselle View Post
Livejournal is not a vBulletin forum though, I'm not sure about HPN as I'm not a member there ~ so you would get Livejournal updates.

From what I've understood from Ali we've not changed anything on our side and from what you're saying you've not changed anything your side which would make me believe it's your ISP.
Well, sure, ok, if you say so! I'll let you know when I find the answer.


__________________


"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie


Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:15 am
Liselle's Avatar
Liselle  Female.gif Liselle is offline
Knower of things
 
Joined: 5652 days
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,565
Re: Comments on: Technical Issues

Do definitely best of luck trying to get it sorted out.


__________________
“Perhaps that is the secret. It is not what we do, so much as why we do it.”
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 7:50 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.