Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

The Role of the Media in US Politics

View Poll Results: How hard has the media been on President Obama?
All of the media have been too hard on Obama 3 13.04%
All of the media have been too easy on Obama 7 30.43%
Mixed bag: some too easy on him, some too hard 14 60.87%
The media has covered Obama too much 9 39.13%
I want to see more stories about Bo Obama! 7 30.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 5th, 2009, 7:07 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Happier Media Topic: Journalists Released

John Bolton still seemed to find a problem with it. Oh well. Glad to see these guys are alive and kicking

i'm in slytherin!
Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2009, 7:54 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdose View Post
John Bolton still seemed to find a problem with it. Oh well. Glad to see these guys are alive and kicking
From what I can tell, Bolton's concern was over what Clinton might have promised to secure their release. That's probably a valid question, but I'm just happy they're home, so I don't care all that much. If something comes out that shows that he promised something the Administration wasn't prepared to back, or he offered something I think is ill advised, then I'll care. Until then, I'm just very happy those women were released.

Without a change in leadership, why would the next four years be any different from the last four years? - - Paul Ryan
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:09 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Which is why they sent Clinton to release the "journalists". Because he was their as a private citizen the admin has deniability and cannot be held to anything he may have said or offered.

But the claim that State or the WH had no knowledge? Give me a break.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:23 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_mom View Post
Two HUGE thumbs up for President Clinton !!! Thank goodness those ladies will be home soon.

(as a totally off topic aside, did I ever mention that I worked on his campaign??) Yea. I haven't always been a stark raving lunatic you know.
Same here. I was happy to hear about it this morning. Good to see that they have been able to go home.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old August 6th, 2009, 2:59 am
Fourth Year

It was obviously predetermined and Clinton wouldn't have gone over there on his own without a done deal. And I'm betting something was given up to get them back. So I'm not going to suck up to Willy but its good that they've been returned to their families. I also agree with a lot of what Bolton is saying.

Old August 6th, 2009, 3:06 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

What I think Kim Jong Il got out of this was the photographs with Clinton and a feeling of being respected. I think as far as Clinton goes, yes, it was all predetermined, and he (and the State Department) didn't mess it all up by saying something that caused Pyongyang to "yank" the offer.

I too am quite glad they're back home. I hope Clinton whispered something to them to the effect of "don't make me have to do that again".

Does anyone remember the NYTimes reporter who escaped the Taliban a month or two ago? That sounds like one..."gutsy"...escape, to use forums-worthy terms .

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old August 6th, 2009, 4:27 am
Queen of Apathy

I was so relieved when I heard of their release today. I got teary eyed watching when they were reunited with their families on the news.

to Bill Clinton.

It's nice to see happy endings like this.

Old August 7th, 2009, 12:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysme View Post
I was so relieved when I heard of their release today. I got teary eyed watching when they were reunited with their families on the news.

to Bill Clinton.

It's nice to see happy endings like this.
I was relieved as well. Five months that they were there. I bet they were really tired and all that -- it'll definitely take some time for them to recoop and what not.

And a definite to him there.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old August 9th, 2009, 4:09 pm
Sixth Year

Finally, some good news in the media. I'm glad they were released and that Clinton helped them out. I admit that I haven't been a fan of Clinton, but I give big props to him here. As for Gore, I'm not fond of him since they were working for his company and he assigned them there. Yes, he got them out, but I think Clinton did a majority of the work.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I am stating my honest opinion.

Old August 9th, 2009, 7:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
Finally, some good news in the media. I'm glad they were released and that Clinton helped them out. I admit that I haven't been a fan of Clinton, but I give big props to him here. As for Gore, I'm not fond of him since they were working for his company and he assigned them there. Yes, he got them out, but I think Clinton did a majority of the work.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I am stating my honest opinion.
Don't blame ya there Bubbly. I wasn't a fan of all of the coverage about that myself. It was a little bit of a media overload to me, the day it happened. I just kept on changing the channel to escape from it.

As for Clinton, I didn't mind him as president... and I don't mind him overall. Far from perfect... but still better than some people. But I can see where you're coming from in terms of things though. As for Gore... I heard about them working for him... I wasn't too thrilled about that. But in the end, at least those two are safe and sound.

Old August 9th, 2009, 10:04 pm
Sixth Year

Yeah, I know. At least something good happened instead of it turning out bad. I rarely watch the news because all it is is bad stuff for the most part. It was nice to see a happy ending come out of this horrible story.

No, I'm not a fan of Gore, especially with his global warming stuff he tries to force on everybody. Ugh.

Old August 9th, 2009, 11:00 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Finally, some good news in the media. I'm glad they were released and that Clinton helped them out. I admit that I haven't been a fan of Clinton, but I give big props to him here. As for Gore, I'm not fond of him since they were working for his company and he assigned them there.
It is highly improbable that Gore personally assigned them. Potentially dangerous assignments are usually volunteered for and fiercely covetted by journalists (if that's all they were).

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old August 10th, 2009, 3:15 pm
Sixth Year

Well, considering it was his company they were working for, I just figured that he assigned them to that place. If he didn't, oh well. I still hate him.

Old August 11th, 2009, 9:00 pm

Quote:
Yeah, I know. At least something good happened instead of it turning out bad. I rarely watch the news because all it is is bad stuff for the most part. It was nice to see a happy ending come out of this horrible story.

No, I'm not a fan of Gore, especially with his global warming stuff he tries to force on everybody. Ugh.
Yep at least things turned out well. If they didn't -- then things wouldn't be as they are. If it ended up being a horrible ending... I would have felt sorry for her friends, family and relatives.

Old August 12th, 2009, 2:14 am
Sixth Year

Same here. We hear about so many sad things happening in the world, and it's good to hear about something happy that has happened. I wish this would occur more often, but unfortunately it doesn't.

Old September 11th, 2009, 7:50 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Re: O'Reilly and Olbermann

Quote:
1. What kind of standards do you hold journalists to?
Professional integrity. Meaning they use facts and evidence without distortion.

Quote:
2. What is your opinion of Keith Olbermann?
He should drop his habit of doing silly voices and making up names for people, but for the most part he is a very good presenter who is able to critique other people simply by quoting their own factually baseless statements and claims.

Quote:
3. What is your opinion of Bill O'Reilly?
The opposite of O'Reilly. He relies on bully tactics, lies, and distortions, like most of the presenters on FOX News in general.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives