Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

The Writers' Thread

Old August 18th, 2007, 3:49 am
First Year

Re: The Writers' Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashingstar View Post
This is kind of on-topic, but as has anyone ever participated in NaNoWriMo? It happens every November, but I've always found that to be the hardest part of the fall semester so I never participate. I've graduated recently so I would like to participate this year. I've started planning everything out so that I can just start writing on Nov. 1st.

Anyway, I had this dream a couple weeks ago (after I read DH....hmmm?) that I thought would make a good story. The dream centers around a family with 5 children living in a farming community. The middle child is kind of a black sheep and notices weird things happening around her. She is visited by a demon thing that tells her that she is an ancient force, Chaos, who has been reincarnated back to the world to put things to right. Apparently, these ancient forces or whatever left humans in charge and now everything has gone to pieces so they're back. Not only is she a force, but there are 4 other forces in her brothers and sisters. And that is where the dream ends.

I've been doing a lot of research into mythology and trying to figure out which of her siblings are which forces, but I can only come up with 4 forces that I believe are more important and general than others: Truth, Love, Chaos, and Wisdom. I've thought about nixing the idea that her siblings are forces and have other random kids as forces. I've also toyed with the idea that the girl isn't Chaos, but maybe Truth or Love and that Chaos is another person trying to thwart her.
I've never done NaNoWriMo for the same reason as you, but I've watched two friends torture themselves with it. But they did get to have their stories published for free (it's a personal copy for yourself, but I'm not sure if they still do that).

As for your story idea, the Truth, Love, Chaos, Wisdom thing reminds me of the four houses at Hogwarts.

Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2007, 4:32 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by themagickeeper View Post
What do you think of the name Eysobith???
Having esoteric names for the sake of it is annoying. But if there's a sound reason why not.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old August 19th, 2007, 11:32 pm
Fourth Year

I rather like unique names, some names just start getting boring, like Harry, even though he was the greates story ever *my opinion* his name was boring. Hermione was really cool, though, normally that's a guys name. . . I rather like the name, pronouncable, pretty cool, and different, not very many with a name like that, even if it isn't a name. . .

Please check out my non-Harry Potter story Elmandoroth Chapter Two is finished.

Old August 19th, 2007, 11:35 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnypotter19 View Post
I rather like unique names, some names just start getting boring, like Harry, even though he was the greates story ever *my opinion* his name was boring. Hermione was really cool, though, normally that's a guys name. . . I rather like the name, pronouncable, pretty cool, and different, not very many with a name like that, even if it isn't a name. . .

hermione is a real name & it's a girls' name. my aunt is called hermione and a famous british television actress is too.

Old August 20th, 2007, 1:14 am
Fourth Year

Yes, but I also mean that five of my favorite british male actors are named Hermione. . .

Old August 20th, 2007, 1:45 am
Third Year

sorry i should of been more specific... It's the name of a 'world'

If I may, can I use Iesobith? That sounds so much better... it does remind me of an eye too. I went and tried using all sorts of different spelling for it, but I never got the one above... I like it

All you have to do is take that one step.'
Old August 20th, 2007, 3:00 am
Fourth Year

It still sounds pretty cool.

Old August 20th, 2007, 9:03 am
Third Year

i'm also writing another story, called Eyes: Open. It's about an Australian teenager whose parents are killed in a car crash, and she has to go live with her uncle in London, who doesnt know the first thing about parenting cos he's too caught up in his worklife. The girl, Olivia, was in the car crash with her parents and has to wear specially made glasses to see properly, because the crash damaged her eyesight. It's how she deals in a foreign country, without her parents, without having any true friends etc. and falling in love.

Old August 20th, 2007, 10:35 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by themagickeeper View Post
i'm also writing another story, called Eyes: Open. It's about an Australian teenager whose parents are killed in a car crash, and she has to go live with her uncle in London, who doesnt know the first thing about parenting cos he's too caught up in his worklife. The girl, Olivia, was in the car crash with her parents and has to wear specially made glasses to see properly, because the crash damaged her eyesight. It's how she deals in a foreign country, without her parents, without having any true friends etc. and falling in love.
That story reminds me of someone... I know! It reminds me of Harry! You know, the hole backup story the Dursleys used to hide the true death of Harry's parents; and your character also wears glasses. Did you start to write this story, inspired by HP?

On a side note, I too made-up a name (although mine is for a character) and I only wrote it in Hebrew, but I want it to be International, so let me ask you this: What do you think of "Karkatum" for a character?

Last edited by Israely_Wizard; August 20th, 2007 at 10:37 am.
Old August 20th, 2007, 7:08 pm
Fourth Year

It sounds good, but what does it mean?

Old August 20th, 2007, 7:17 pm
Fourth Year

it's cool sounding, like for a villian or something. i don't know why it makes me think of a villian, but it does. my apologies if it means something completely un-villan like.

Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.-JK Rowling
Old August 21st, 2007, 8:34 am
Third Year

OMG. Thining about it now, that does sound like Harry. I had no intention of it actually being like that... I actually got the inspiration of it from the new movie, No Reservations, how Catherine Zeta Jone's character becomes the guardian of her niece. I then just thought of a plot in my head,and had it based loosely around that, but yeah, it does sound like HP doesnt it???

Old August 21st, 2007, 9:03 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israely_Wizard View Post
What do you think of "Karkatum" for a character?
Depends, is this name for a supporting, main, or an antagonist character? And is it a first or last name? Or a nickname?

I think it'd be an awesome last name, but I'm not sure it'd work out as a first name. I personally find it hard to read a book who's main character has a complicated name (although that isn't that complicated, it just messes with my eyes), and it's just easier to relate better to a character with a more common name.

And does it have any special meaning? Then it could definitely work as a nickname, especially if you're going international.

But those are just my thoughts on it.

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's depressing."
~(If You Know Where This Is From, You're A Bigger Dork Than Me... Possibly)

Have Some Extra Time On Your Hands? Read Some Of My Stuff:
Pre-Hogwarts Lily/Severus "The McKinley Incident"
Have Your Own Stuff? I'm A Willing Beta, Owl Me. I'll Give You Constructive Feedback.
Old August 21st, 2007, 1:02 pm
First Year

O.K, you, see, I did the same mistake, I need to reveal more about the character.
He is named Lord Karkatum, he is one of the many villians (nice going, houseelf25) in my story (I'm planing a viilian per country), and he is a vampire.
Not much is known about him, only that he is more than a thousand years old and have great power.
The name is inspired by the name of an acrobatic act called "Krakatuk" that visited Israel. I wanted to name him in the same name, but I couldn't remember the name exactlly.

"Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering." Jedi Master Yoda, Star Wars I - The Phantom Menace

CauldronNewt
11 3/4 in. Black Walnut with Phoenix Feather core, Unyielding
Proud Hufflepuff
Old August 22nd, 2007, 2:32 am
Fourth Year

that sounds really really really cool! i wish i could come up with cool characters like that. most of mine are normal people, and the villians are just the ******** you meet in real life.

Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.-JK Rowling
Old August 22nd, 2007, 2:37 am
Third Year

If I have trouble thinking of a name, I type gobbledegook into Microsoft Word and then look up the spelling. If there's something there I like, I change it to that, then look it up on the internet to see what it means and what relevance it has to my story.

For example, the desert province in my story is called Scoria. Scoria is the textural name for volcanic rock. Volcanic rock is hot. Deserts are hot. then Scoria is born!!

Its a bit random, but I think its a unique way of thinking up names.

Old August 22nd, 2007, 4:08 am
First Year

O.K, so I have a name for the villian, but help me out with this:
As you can tell I am Israely, but I wanted to make the story international (in case it gets published in places other then Israel; hehe) so I gave my heros Jewish/Hebrew-looking names, Ron Cohen for the hero (Ron can mean joy in Hebrew), and Ben Levi for the sidekick. What do you think?

"Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering." Jedi Master Yoda, Star Wars I - The Phantom Menace

CauldronNewt
Proud Hufflepuff
Old August 22nd, 2007, 4:46 am
Third Year

they are great names... is Ron Cohen for the hero sounds really good, like the sort of name that you associate with a hero.

Old August 23rd, 2007, 1:20 pm
First Year

But what about Ben Levi for the educated, non-beliver sidekick?

CauldronNewt
Proud Hufflepuff
Old August 23rd, 2007, 4:25 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

I need some opinions.

What do you think of the names Scarlett, Reuben, Issac and Morgana. All are lead/important characters.

Also, I have the idea for an old lady who is blind. The main idea of her comes from her name: Imelda Hecate (pronounced HEK-uh-tuh). She can also divide herself and then transform herself into two black dogs. This is the only way that she can see the world: through the dogs' eyes.

Just need some opinions/ideas.

Cheers

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives