Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Most boring book(s) you've read or tried to read

Old October 19th, 2012, 8:49 pm
Banned

Most boring book(s) you've read or tried to read

What is/are the most boring book(s) you've read or tried to read?

Most recently, someone gave me The Hare With Amber Eyes by Edmund de Waal, singing the praises of the book. I tried my best to plough through it, couldn't get past page 100. It bored me to tears. I recommend it as a sleeping draught.

Before that - years ago - and I apologize to unconditional Tolkien fans, I could never finish The Silmarillion.

Last edited by LyannaS; November 18th, 2012 at 12:08 am. Reason: Edit title
Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2012, 10:34 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Most boring book you've read or tried to read

Vanity Fair.
Can't remember who wrote it. I tried to read it when I was about twelve and couldn't get past the second chapter.
I guess for books that I actually finished I'd say The Incredible Journey which I had to read for school and that is the only reason it was finished.

Old October 19th, 2012, 10:56 pm
Third Year

A lot of people like the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn but I had to read it for an English class once and I never managed to get through it. It was really boring for me

Old October 20th, 2012, 12:19 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglepot View Post
I guess for books that I actually finished I'd say The Incredible Journey which I had to read for school and that is the only reason it was finished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf17 View Post
A lot of people like the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn but I had to read it for an English class once and I never managed to get through it. It was really boring for me
Ah yes - the books we had to read for school. For me it was Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton. I should have mentioned it, but that was long ago and it had slipped my mind. Or maybe the memory of valiantly trying to go through it is so painful that I blocked it out.

Last edited by LyannaS; October 20th, 2012 at 12:21 am. Reason: Add quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 12:54 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Life of Pi

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old October 20th, 2012, 1:12 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglepot View Post
Vanity Fair.
Can't remember who wrote it. I tried to read it when I was about twelve and couldn't get past the second chapter.
Thackeray wrote it and it took me around 15 years to finish, possibly more. I did get to the end of it though and felt I deserved chocolate.

My vote for most boring book has to go to Tristram Shandy by Lawrence Sterne. I've never yet met anyone who finished it. Including me.

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old October 20th, 2012, 2:34 am
Second Year

I tried reading Walden by Thoreau once when I was on one of my 'you should read the classics... it'll be good for you' kicks and ended up skimming it for the three or four interesting things I did find in it. I now can't even remember the interesting things.

Old October 20th, 2012, 3:21 am
Inconceivable!

Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad - I had to read this book when I was in 8th grade. It was so boring. Schools shouldn't push these books on young readers before they have had the life experiences to be to understand them.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old October 20th, 2012, 3:36 am
Fourth Year

The Catcher in the Rye. I finished it because I had too. Also, Sabriel by Garth Nix, I don't know why, I just couldn't finish it. It didn't grab me.

Old October 20th, 2012, 5:08 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf17 View Post
I was hoping I would like this one and I found it boring also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Life of Pi
This is discouraging, this is actually the first negative thing I've seen in this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikuStark View Post
The Catcher in the Rye. I finished it because I had too. Also, Sabriel by Garth Nix, I don't know why, I just couldn't finish it. It didn't grab me.
I've yet to read this one too. For some reason I disliked the Great Gatsby when we read it in school, but I think I need to give it another try. Another book I just thought of was Frankenstein by Mary Shelkey, you think it would be really interesting, but no.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old October 20th, 2012, 7:48 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones
Schools shouldn't push these books on young readers before they have had the life experiences to be to understand them.
You're right, pre-teen is too early an age for books like Vanity Fair or Ethan Frome.

I liked Catcher in the Rye, although I had to read it in school also. Go figure.

I also liked The Great Gatsby.

All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy is another book I couldn't finish. Mostly it was his style of writing though. Practically no punctuation, no quotation marks, you never know whether you're reading narrative or dialogue. I couldn't follow the story and just gave it up as a bad proposition.

Last edited by LyannaS; October 20th, 2012 at 7:53 am. Reason: ETA
Old October 20th, 2012, 10:51 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyannaS View Post
Before that - years ago - and I apologize to unconditional Tolkien fans, I could never finish The Silmarillion.
Yeah, me too, I never got past page 20, and I was such an undiscriminating reader back then.

Old October 21st, 2012, 3:21 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post

I've yet to read this one too. For some reason I disliked the Great Gatsby when we read it in school, but I think I need to give it another try. Another book I just thought of was Frankenstein by Mary Shelkey, you think it would be really interesting, but no.
For me, it's all about the main character(s) in the book. If I can't like them,then I find it tremendously hard to get through the book. The Catcher in the Rye and The Great Gatsby both had main characters I didn't care much for, but I found Nick to be way more tolerable than Holden.

Old October 21st, 2012, 5:28 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
Yeah, me too, I never got past page 20, and I was such an undiscriminating reader back then.
I'm the exact way with that one as well. I'd really like to be able to like it, especially when Bill talks about it. Unfortunately though I can't get very far into it.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old October 21st, 2012, 8:29 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikuStark View Post
The Catcher in the Rye and The Great Gatsby both had main characters I didn't care much for, but I found Nick to be way more tolerable than Holden.
Nick is only the narrator in Gatsby. The main character is Jay Gatsby, and I find him rather likeable. For that matter, I like Nick too. And Holden. I guess that explains why I like the books and you don't.

Another book I started reading but didn't get past the first 50 pages is O Jerusalem by Dominique Lapierre and Larry Collins. Too dry for my taste.

Old October 22nd, 2012, 1:46 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyannaS View Post
Nick is only the narrator in Gatsby. The main character is Jay Gatsby, and I find him rather likeable. For that matter, I like Nick too. And Holden. I guess that explains why I like the books and you don't.

Another book I started reading but didn't get past the first 50 pages is O Jerusalem by Dominique Lapierre and Larry Collins. Too dry for my taste.
Probably does. I understand that Gatsby is, more or less, the main character, but we're in Nick's head through the entire book (At least from what I remember). I usually label narrators as main characters if they're in the story. I did like Gatsby, sort of, but if I can't like the character that we're with the most, which is Nick, then the book is considerably harder for me to get through.

Old October 22nd, 2012, 2:06 am
Second Year

Like many others, the Silmarillion is a book I've never finished despite trying. Maybe if it dove right in to the war of the silmarils instead of waffling around for a good fifty pages just on establishing when in the legendarium the war takes place...

Last Update: Episode 4.2 - Dying in the Past (9/21/2011)
When lives are at stake, there is no such thing as a fair fight.

Old October 22nd, 2012, 2:12 am
Suteki da ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones View Post
Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad - I had to read this book when I was in 8th grade. It was so boring. Schools shouldn't push these books on young readers before they have had the life experiences to be to understand them.
Mine is also a Joseph Conrad- Heart of Darkness. I had to read it for my A level English course and I found it unbelievably boring. It's a shame, because I loved all of the other books I was given to read throughout my schooling history (apart from Romeo and Juliet- which I guess doesn't count because it's a play) but I just couldn't get into it. I ploughed through it at least three times in a year because it was a closed-book exam so I had to know it. However, it just refused to stick in my brain. I tried reading it how I usually read- with my family around, chatting and watching telly. Didn't work. So I tried my next technique- reading in my room with some low music on. Still wasn't working so I tried in silence, which was the worst yet. I tried watching Apocalypse Now (which I'm sure you know is based on Heart of Darkness) and I fell asleep. I just found it a very difficult book to get into because I just didn't care about the storyline or the character. I ended up in tears, the night before my exam, sobbing my heart out and throwing the book across the room. A bit extreme, I know, I wouldn't normally react so irrationally towards a story, but because it was an exam and I'd tried to prepare so much for the exam but it just wasn't happening. I mean, how can someone answer questions about a book that they really didn't care about, no matter how many times they've read it?

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old October 22nd, 2012, 3:15 am
Second Year

Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott and The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper. Horribly boring.

AsphodelJinx on Pottermore
Old October 22nd, 2012, 4:16 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. Even the teacher didn't have us read the whole book due to it. He even thought it was boring. The movie was an improvement, with good acting and pacing. The book was ok enough, but it didn't draw me in very well. It kept on making me almost fall asleep during it.

Great Expectations... like the book well enough, but there were parts in it that were rather boring. I'd be reading it one minute, absorbed, and the next, I'd be almost asleep.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction