Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Which Film Is The Darkest?

Old September 3rd, 2009, 4:19 am
Second Year

Which Film Is The Darkest?

Hi Everybody!

I did a search, and couldn't find anything, so my apologies if this has beeen done before.

Which film do you think is the darkest? Personally, none of the films seem very dark to me, so if I had to pick one, I would say Goblet of Fire.
I haven't seen Half-Blood Prince, but here it's considerd lighter compared to other films. Or at least, that's what they were going for.

What do you think?

Harry: What is it Sir?

Dumbledore: You must let Ginny tie your shoelaces.
Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2009, 4:54 am
Malum Veneficus

Re: Which Film Is The Darkest?

I don't think any of the movies were dark. I think all of them were made to suit both adults and children. But if I have to pick one it would be the Goblet of Fire or The Order of the Phoenix. GoF because of the tasks of the tournament Voldemort's return and the grave yard. OotP mostly because of the scenes at the ministry of magic.
But personally I don't think any of them were really 'dark'.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 4:57 am
Second Year

Hmm... Goblet of Fire was the first to truly have dark moments in it (with the rebirth of Voldy) but I'd say Order of the Phoenix. The movie matched the darker tone of the book (Harry's constant nightmares, the idea that Voldemort is "out there somewhere", the prophecy and the Ministry of Magic.) I'll go with that.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 4:59 am
Third Year

I agree. Order of the Pheonix was much darker than the other movies, due to Angsty Harry and the scenes with the MInistry.

Deathly Hallows Part 2 almost made me a Snape-fan. . .almost. But then I re-read Deathly Hallows and I came back to my senses and the world was the way it's supposed to be.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 5:06 am
First Year

i think that goblet of fire is. OotP is too, but i didn't like that movie much.

x:*.*:x_MeLiSsA_x*.*:x
“Tell me one last thing,” said Harry. “Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”
Old September 3rd, 2009, 5:10 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

The Goblet of Fire is the darkest movie, because it is the one where the perceived and looming threat from the Dark Lord, finally becomes real. Furthermore, it depicts a rather shocking and cold-blooded murder of a child.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 5:13 am
Zonko's Employee

Compared to the books, the films aren't that dark at all, but of the films by themselves, I'd say the darkest in terms of quantity has to be OOTP. That film is just consistently angst-ridden and dark all throughout (though not as intense as the book). But, I think while there are plenty of light moments in HBP that makes it less dark, I think the scenes in HBP that are dark are darker than anything else previously seen in the series. Ron getting poisoned, Malfoy bleeding, Dumbledore drinking the potion, Inferi, the tower etc are all dark in tone and substance.

So yeah, OOTP might have a dark tone for the entire movie, but the few dark scenes in HBP are ten times more dark and mature than any of the other films, IMO.

GOF had one dark scene at the end with the graveyard and Harry returning with Cedric's body, but that movie was so melodramatic and over the top, and the very last scene with the schools leaving spoils the darkness so I'm not going to say GOF.

POA was trying too hard to be dark, that it falls flat to me. It was refreshing when it first came out, because the Columbus films had been so (appropriately) light and warm, but looking back on it now, POA had a dark tone that is undermined by some of the comical slapstick scenes and overly artistic scenes that detract from the story, IMO.

I think each film grew progressively darker. I remember when I first saw COS, I was amazed and struck by how dark it was compared to PS/SS. I hadn't read the books and I had no idea the series would grow with the characters and become more mature and complex with each episode so COS will always be special to me because it was the first time in the series that I was intrigued and was interested to see more.

HBP sorta broke the 'darker and darker' record, but looking at the series as a whole, it will work so much better like this. It's going to be like going from PS/SS to COS or from COS to POA all over again. The darkness in DH1 will shock and impact people so much more now that HBP was a little lighter.

To answer your question, I think DH1 will be the darkest film when it's all said and done. DH2 will be dark too but at least it has a happy ending. DH1 is going to be a sad and quite pathetic film. (not in terms of quality but in terms of what the characters go through) Especially if they end on a literal cliffhanger. There will be no resolution at all. It can easily be the Potter series's darkest hour.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Last edited by MasterOfDeath; September 3rd, 2009 at 5:16 am.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:39 am
Fifth Year

I think POA is the darkest. In no other story does Harry vow to kill another person.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:53 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi2542 View Post
I think POA is the darkest. In no other story does Harry vow to kill another person.
If Dan had acted that line in a way I found believable, I'd agree with you to some extent but watching that scene makes me cringe.

I think that despite the comedy in HBP, it is the darkest film by far. The scene with Katie Bell and the cursed necklace chilled me.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:10 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Druid View Post
If Dan had acted that line in a way I found believable, I'd agree with you to some extent but watching that scene makes me cringe.
I actually thought his delivery was fine. About as threatening as a 13 year old could be, certainly the determined but impotent delivery was appropriate. I just wished Cuaron had cut away a second earlier than he did, because Radcliffe is straining to maintain his expression and smirks just before the cut.

Last edited by yoshi2542; September 3rd, 2009 at 11:20 am.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:36 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
GOF had one dark scene at the end with the graveyard and Harry returning with Cedric's body, but that movie was so melodramatic and over the top, and the very last scene with the schools leaving spoils the darkness so I'm not going to say GOF.
Well, the book is kind of melodramatic and over the top, what with Wormtail tying Harry to the gravestone and everything that happens after. That's not a criticism of the book at all : Rowling is writing fantasy, after all, albeit with a gritty edge.

Quote:
POA was trying too hard to be dark, that it falls flat to me. It was refreshing when it first came out, because the Columbus films had been so (appropriately) light and warm, but looking back on it now, POA had a dark tone that is undermined by some of the comical slapstick scenes and overly artistic scenes that detract from the story, IMO.
Overly artistic'? That's not a criticism I've encountered before. Not just of PoA, but of any film. The 'comical slapstick scenes' are entirely appropriate for a Harry Potter story, IMO, because Rowling does exactly the same sort of thing in her books, even the darker, later ones, e.g. the Twins' swamp in OotP, U-No-Poo in HBP, Ginny's Bat Bogey Hex, etc.

PoA has a 'wintry darkness', as one critic described it, that is perfectly suitable for the material. It's also a very emotional film: one of the reasons I like it so much.

Quote:
to answer your question, I think DH1 will be the darkest film when it's all said and done. DH2 will be dark too but at least it has a happy ending. DH1 is going to be a sad and quite pathetic film. (not in terms of quality but in terms of what the characters go through) Especially if they end on a literal cliffhanger. There will be no resolution at all. It can easily be the Potter series's darkest hour.
I am totally against the idea of a literal cliffhanger, and I really, really hope that is not what Yates is planning. However, I guess that discussion is for another thread. I'm actually rather worried that DH1 will not only be dark but also dreary. But that is for the DH discussion ...

I'd better answer the question.

Since the books darken, it makes sense for the films to darken. Therefore I would say that HPB is the darkest so far, ending as it does with Dumbledore's death.

Last edited by Pearl_Took; September 3rd, 2009 at 12:05 pm.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:45 am
Sixth Year

I found GoF to be very dark, even with the added humour. It starts all nice and happy and it turns very quickly. Throughout there is threat lurking and the graveyard scene made it very clear that everything had changed. That said, I thought OoTP was pretty dark too. I didn't much like the movie, but it still had the creepiness with Umbridge and I thought the Ministry part was excellent.

So to sum up - GoF and OoTP for me.

Squirrelio Fans - If you love Flashforward, listen to our podcast!
Obliviate! - Come join my Harry Potter/Flashforward forum!
Old September 3rd, 2009, 1:17 pm
Secret Keeper

HBP by far- Harry nearly murders another student, Inferi, Ron is poisoned, Katie is cursed, Dumbledore commits "assisted suicide", the idea of horcruxes, etc. The only argument I could see for it not being the darkest is that all of this is balanced by light-hearted material.

Now, if we are talking overall tone, I'd have to say PoA or OotP...but they didn't have as dark of individual material as HBP or even GoF.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; September 3rd, 2009 at 1:31 pm.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 1:22 pm
Fourth Year

I think Half Blood Prince was bit dark...

Old September 3rd, 2009, 2:19 pm
First Year

I think the movies have gotten progressively darker, with the exception of HBP which had a lot more lighthearted moments. However, even HBP got really dark towards the end with the cave and Dumbledore's death, etc. Goblet of Fire was the first to introduce death to the series, and it was also when Voldemort came back (and I think they did a great job on Voldemort's make-up/CGI), so I'd say that's the darkest film.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 2:32 pm
First Year

I'm going to take a wild shot: Both parts of Deathly Hallows.

However, the darkest film that's out right now would probably be a tie between OOTP and HBP.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 3:01 pm
Second Year

I actually found HBP quite dark. Perhaps because that movie is the only one I watched in theaters, which makes a big difference. Whatever the reason, I remember being surprised at the darkness of the movie, since I'd heard it was much funnier and more lighthearted than the others. Young people being drawn into a huge war out of which they might not come alive, schoolchildren attempting murder and almost succeeding, Death Eaters mindlessly attacking people all over the country and innocent Muggles being pretty much massacred...everywhere you look in that movie, it seems like there's death and darkness and hopelessness. I found it dark.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 3:40 pm
Second Year

Yeah, GoF or OotP. OotP is the darkest if you thinka about it. I mean not only with everything in dark colours except Umbridge's clothes, but also Harry feeling he's alone and with a lots of task to do all by himself.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 4:03 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

I think visually they are too dark. Granted the storyline progressively gets dark as the series moves on, but since POA, it's almost seemed as if all the colour has been sucked out of the films.

It has got to the point where it's a struggle to even see what is going on during the films on screen because of the harsh decolourisation and incredible gloom.

One doesn't need to have a visually dark movie in order to back up a metaphorically dark storyline. "I Am Legend" recently had a dark storyline, with bright sunshine in almost every scene. It provides an excellent contrast. "Lord Of The Rings" did something similar where massive battle scenes between good and evil took place in front of spectacular sunsets.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 4:43 pm
First Year

I think Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix are the darkest. They had the most dark moments in both of those films.

HBP was also pretty dark, but it also had a lot of lighthearted moments as well as being dark.

But, I bet both parts of Deathly Hallows will definitely be the darkest.

Proud to be in Gryffindor, where dwell the brave at heart.
Pottermore: SickleSnidget115 - Gryffindor, Holly and Phoenix Feather, 14 1/2 inches, Reasonably Supple

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies