Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Harry Potter Theme Park v.2

Old January 4th, 2012, 5:04 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Harry Potter Theme Park v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post
I was a little disappointed to hear there are lots more Gryffindor objects to buy that items from other houses. Is it very significant? I'd want a scarf, key chain, wand, and Snape stuff.
I didn't really come across this when I went but perhaps I needed to shop a bit longer to notice. Here is the online site, you can see everything they sell there.

Quote:
Is there a huge selection of different types of wands?
When it comes to wands not belonging to a specific character, roughly from memory, there are 3 different ones. There's a wide selection when it comes to different character's wands, from Harry's and the Trio's, Ginny's, Snape's, Remus'...specific wands can sell out quite quickly, though.

Quote:
What does Butterbeer taste like?
Cream soda with buttery tasting froth on top.

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2012, 5:10 pm
Seventh Year

Thanks, FA! I've seen recipes for Butterbeer, and they call for cream soda - guess they really do use it.

I'll check out the link.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, After all this time?
And I will say, Always.
- source unknown
Old January 4th, 2012, 5:54 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post
I was a little disappointed to hear there are lots more Gryffindor objects to buy that items from other houses. Is it very significant? I'd want a scarf, key chain, wand, and Snape stuff.

Is there a huge selection of different types of wands?

What does Butterbeer taste like?
Yay, go KY!

Merrylore, they do have scarves from all four houses, one in the movie design and one with the house name and crest on it. They also have a few house keychains, such as a crest and a quidditch keychain. They also had a package that came with socks from all four houses, they had a satchel with the slytherin crest on it, and a zip sting bag with the slytherin crest on it... and they had tie dye t-shirts for slytherin, hufflepuff, and ravenclaw. Slytherin did have one more shirt, but not near as many as Gryffindor did... so thats about it for house themed merchandise, unless you like Gryffindor. They had Gryffindor shirts, hoodies, bags, mugs, everything. There was a hogwarts crest hoodie which I did like, however.

Being a Snape fan myself, I am sad to report that the only Snape item in the whole park is one keychain, which I got. He doesn't have much of a presence inside the park, either. I did get a kick out of standing next to the cauldron store and classroom door though... pretending the Sir was nearby.

As for wands, I believe there are around 12 "birthday" wands, and you can give the store people your bday and they'll show you the wand. My clerk made it fun- she made up the core so it would seem more special, haha. They also have just about any character wand from the movies, should that be what you desire. I already had a Snape wand, so I went the way of a birth wand. It has a snake and a skeleton handle, and it is the largest wand. My advice is to ride the rides before you buy a wand, it may not fit in any of the lockers.

The butterbeer is really good. You have a choice of frozen or carbonated. My friend got the frozen and I only tasted it... it was too sweet and it didnt have enough foam on it for my liking. The carbonated tastes a bit like butterscotch cream soda, and the foam tastes like butterpecan ice cream. I have a good recipe to make a dupe, should you want it.

I hope you can make this trip! My friend and I just took it really slow, we weren't worried about seeing any of the other attractions. We did everything and didnt get tired of it at all! Look in all the windows, listen to everything closely... there are so many tiny details, it was amazing. <3

Severus Snape ~ The Boy Who Loved
Old January 11th, 2012, 1:59 am
First Year

Hooray!! I finally found the Wizarding World of Harry Potter thread!!

I'm traveling to Universal Orlando next month for my 50th birthday and I can't wait! Thanks to everyone who has posted reviews and photos. I'm going to gleefully dig into them and drool with anticipation.

Old March 21st, 2012, 7:54 pm
Second Year

Update from Screamscape......

An overlay was made form the plans for the addition to Harry Potter at next door studios. Cant wait!

http://www.screamscape.com/html/usf_-_london_0.htm

Old April 24th, 2012, 8:01 am
First Year

From the recent update on there, it seems that they are removing WaterWorld from Hollywood to make room for the Harry Potter portion.

Quote:
2015 - Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Confirmed - (4/16/12) While no one seems sure of the exact timetable here, if you visit the park this year to see Transformers (and you should!) also make sure to get your butt planted for a viewing of Waterworld before you leave. It seems a fairly sure thing now that Waterworld will be removed sooner than later to make way for the start of construction Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Last edited by Ralphy; April 24th, 2012 at 8:03 am.
Old May 17th, 2012, 4:55 am
Third Year

Thinking about taking my teenagers here in June. Do I absolutely need 2 days?

"A book is made up of signs that speak of other signs, which in turn speak of things." -- Umberto Eco
Old July 9th, 2012, 9:03 pm
First Year

The first set pieces for the all but confirmed Phase 2 of the WWoHP has been spotted and photographed at the same location as many of the other facade pieces of the original WWoHP phase.

Part 1: http://www.orlandounited.com/forums/...527#post237527

Part 2: http://www.orlandounited.com/forums/...536#post237536

Part 3: http://www.orlandounited.com/forums/...606#post237606

Old August 23rd, 2012, 4:30 am
First Year

While I am very excited to hear that the WWoHP is expanding...has Universal come out with an official statement yet about what they are adding to the park? And when it will be finished?
My husband and I are hoping to make our 1st trip to Orlando some time next year. We hope the construction will be finished by then.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 4:52 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMuggle View Post
While I am very excited to hear that the WWoHP is expanding...has Universal come out with an official statement yet about what they are adding to the park? And when it will be finished?
My husband and I are hoping to make our 1st trip to Orlando some time next year. We hope the construction will be finished by then.
My niece and her family live in Sanford. Could it be possible that I might make it to WWoHP some day???

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old August 23rd, 2012, 5:04 am
First Year

I just found this..the latest on the expansion:

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2012/0...ess-to-follow/

So excited to think of all the possibilities!!!

In a way I am glad they got rid of the JAWS ride. I haven't been to Universal since the early to mid 90's, but I remember the JAWS ride being rather lame, the shark looking totally plastic and fake and the whole thing was really bad (and I am a huge JAWS movie fan).

Old August 23rd, 2012, 5:57 am
Sixth Year

I went on Jaws for the first time back in 2009. It seemed more like wood than plastic! But I am upset I can't go on it anymore.

I enjoyed WWOHP in 2010, hopefully I can go sometime in the near future again to see what this expansion is.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 6:02 am
First Year

For anyone contemplating going to WWOHP, definitely make the trip - its pretty incredible and you will feel like you are actually in Hogwarts/Hogsmeade. It was a wonderful experience - I went with my friend and her children who were HP fans and it was so much fun to experience it alongside and through the eyes of children.

Looking forward to the additional attractions opening.

Sing a song, a song of life, lived without regret, tell the ones, the ones I loved, I never will forget.
Old September 21st, 2012, 9:13 am
Second Year

Quote:

They are rushing from what I am being told here in Orlando. But even rushing, the new potter park will not be done until at least 2014.

As far as what they are adding? Its all London side of things. The front of the area will be London buildings. Inside the area will be Kings Cross. Also will be Diagon Alley, complete with stores (including the original Ollivanders) and Gringott's bank which will actually be a high tech indoor rollercoaster kind of like the Mummy but with better technology.

Oh ya, and at Kings Cross, if you have a two park hopper pass you will be able to take The Hogwarts Express over to Hogwarts at the other park. From my guess the train will run through the back of the park where all the back stage buildings are and will be the same type of ride experience as the King Kong ride at Universal Orlando (See Video).

Below is the path in which the train will actually travel. Like the above video it will probable be all in some kind of tunnel and you will be looking at a video screen while inside.

Below, is an overlay of the buildings the the were used for the permits. These people just used that info and sized it up to the area that is currently under construction. Gringotts and Hogwarts Express are the only ones named because based on *** shape thats only what they could be.

Last edited by Snuffy; September 21st, 2012 at 9:32 am.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 5:27 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
Oh ya, and at Kings Cross, if you have a two park hopper pass you will be able to take The Hogwarts Express over to Hogwarts at the other park. From my guess the train will run through the back of the park where all the back stage buildings are and will be the same type of ride experience as the King Kong ride at Universal Orlando (See Video).
So now to see all of the WWoHP you'll have to get the 2 park pass? That's kind of annoying, since the passes are pretty expensive.

Old October 28th, 2012, 4:24 am
First Year

Snuffy, thanks for posting that! Hadn't seen that before. I went to WWOHP in May 2011 and just about died, haha. Pretty cool that they're doing the Hogwarts Express into the park, though I agree that it's a bit of an annoying money grab at the same time. Hope to go back when it's all done!

One other thing: I thought when I went that it was reeeeeally obvious that the plans for the park had bee made around the time of the GoF film, so I'm glad they're updating it with the Gringotts ride.

Old April 15th, 2013, 7:16 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherfish81 View Post
So now to see all of the WWoHP you'll have to get the 2 park pass? That's kind of annoying, since the passes are pretty expensive.
Yes, but it wasn't only to make money off people. Universal Studios Park was severly hurt by HP in Islands of Adventure. Studios is a ghost town most of the day compared to the other park. They really needed to even it out.

Besides a single park 1 day compared to a two park single day is only $35 difference. If you by multiple days the difference is even smaller.

And one more thing. If they only expanded HP on Islands of Adventure like originally planned. The expansion would not have been nearly as big and you probably wouldnt have had been able to take the train to hogwarts.

Well worth the money in my eyes.

Last edited by Snuffy; April 15th, 2013 at 7:20 pm.
Old April 18th, 2013, 5:38 am
First Year

Quote:
In a way I am glad they got rid of the JAWS ride. I haven't been to Universal since the early to mid 90's, but I remember the JAWS ride being rather lame, the shark looking totally plastic and fake and the whole thing was really bad (and I am a huge JAWS movie fan).
Blasphemy! The fakeness of the Jaws ride was the whole charm; it was like the Jungle Cruise at Disneyland.

Old June 21st, 2013, 12:14 am
Snidget of Champions

I'm a bit surprised, even with the diminished posting, that no discussion has surrounded the (now not-so-recent) announcement of the WWoHP expansion! I have been around Universal Orlando for several months now and have been able to see the construction firsthand (and understood, with little doubt, that it would be the Harry Potter expansion), but it was announced at the beginning of May that the new expansion will be opening in 2014!

The artist depiction seems tantalizing. It looks like we'll be getting London: King's Cross Station and Diagon Alley. As the current Wizarding World is in Islands of Adventure and the expansion will be in Universal Orlando, there will be a Hogwarts Express attraction that will connect the two. Additionally, there will be a Gringotts cart ride (an indoor roller coaster, it seems) - possibly involving the dragon from DH, given the illustration -, a dining venue (most likely the Leaky Cauldron. Though perhaps Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parolor will also open?), and more shops.

I expect we'll see another Ollivander's experience to defray some of the line from Hogsmeade (and how can you have Diagon Alley without Ollivander's?). Other shop possibilities include, as I see it, Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes, Madam Malkin's Robes, Eeylops or the Magical Menagerie, and Quality Quidditch Supplies. More unlikely possibilities for functioning shops (more likely to be storefronts) would be Gambol & Japes, Apothecary, Obscurus Books, and others.

More speculation, now, I wonder if we'll get a glimpse of Knockturn Alley? Also, will Gringotts and the Hogwarts Express be the only rides? With the Hogwarts Express, do you think we'll have to go through a wall to get on the platform? What other rides could they have? A Floo Powder or Apparition thrill ride? Other than Gringotts, nothing else in Diagon Alley seems inspirational for a ride. So it looks like, to me, the expansion will be more to break up the crowds and re-excite the fandom about the park.

From personal experience, the current visitors to WWoHP seem lacking in their Harry Potter knowledge. Since I first visited the park only a week after its opening I was surrounded by other Potter fans making the pilgrimage. Now it seems as if the majority of guests are making a compulsory visit: they've heard of the excitement of Harry Potter and are eager to see it for themselves, but fewer and fewer guests are die-hard or even casual fans. I imagine that this expansion is a way to reignite the fandom. As seen by these forums, I think we are seeing a gradual withering away of the Potter phenomenon - a decline that Universal must be eager to rectify.

In addition to the Orlando expansion announcement, it's also been officially announced that Universal in Hollywood will be working on a WWoHP section much like the current one in Orlando. There are rumors that there will be differences, though: fewer Hogsmeade shops and a possible dining experience in the Great Hall.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old January 15th, 2014, 12:05 am
Snidget of Champions

Even with the dampened user activity, I expected more enthusiasm about the Diagon Alley expansion! Universal released a teaser last month confirming the Leaky Cauldron restaurant at the park (no surprises!), but they will be releasing much more information on January 23. This release date just happens to match up well with the Celebration of Harry Potter event from Jan. 24-26, during which there will be panel discussions with Evanna Lynch, the Phelps twins, illustrator Kazu Kibuishi, and MinaLima (graphics from the films); behind-the-scenes looks at Pottermore; props from the Harry Potter Exhibition; the art of dueling; and more!

I've been down in the Orlando area for just over a year now and have been able to watch the progress of the Diagon Alley construction since February. I'm making it a point to attend the Celebration of Harry Potter, though I don't have the premier package with access to front row seating or the Saturday evening in the park. But otherwise, it looks like a normal ticket to the park gets you in to everything on a first come-first served basis. This will be my first major Harry Potter convention (I've attended the NYC red carpet premiere of DH2 and last year's World Cup - but never anything of this sort), and I am thrilled. Has anyone else heard of/made plans for this celebration?

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies