Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies

Hufflepuff House : Group Character Analysis

Old November 28th, 2006, 9:53 pm
First Year

Re: Hufflepuff House : Group Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottalovelife View Post
Hufflepuffs are portrayed as not good enough to get into the other houses-- hufflepuff says something like --i'll teach the rest or the lot

they even say cedric brought hufflepuff some "rare glory"-- everyone wants to be recognized for their achievements even if they won't admit it

the griffindor's are embarassed to lose to hufflepuffs
Hufflepuffs are portrayed that way by all the other houses, it doesn't mean they are that way. The song went: "Said Hufflepuff 'I'll teach the lot, and treat them just the same'" (off of memory, hope that's right.) This doesn't mean that Hufflepuffs are the leftovers, it meant that Hufflepuffs don't discriminate. We value fair play, remember? Leaving people out isn't fair.

To your second comment: yes, everyone enjoys a bit of glory and recognition. Hufflepuff seems to be the house that gets the least, and I believe this is because they are the ones least concerned with that sort of thing. Yes, they will appreciate it, but don't strive toward it so much as other houses do. Ravenclaw, although not given the same reputation as the "loser house" that Hufflepuff is, doesn't seem to get quite as much glory as Slytherin and Gryffindor seem to either. Slytherin and Gryffindor seem to be the houses which put the most emphasis on things like obtaining glory, therefore they get more of it because instead of promoting equality and fairness, such as Hufflepuff does, they strive to put their house above the rest. (Sorry if it sounds like I'm bashing other houses, not meaning to, I swear!)

The Gryffindor's are embarrased to lose to anyone, and if I remember straight the loss you are probably talking about was a horrendous one: they would have been just as embarrased losing to Slytherin or Ravenclaw by that sort of margin. You're talking about the one where Harry fell off his broom, right? I haven't read POA in a while, but wasn't that like a 200 or 300 point loss? So of course they'd be embarrased. It was an embarrasing loss.

Quote of the day/week/login:
Ron: "Follow the spiders? Why couldn't it be follow the butterfiles?!"
Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2006, 9:54 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_mom View Post
I've wondered whether book 7 will have sort of a rise of Hufflepuff's values slant to it. From what we've seen, the admonitions of the Sorting hat and Dumbledore himself are rise up and join together. It seems unlikely that Slytherins would seek this end, but Hufflepuff's seem like the perfect people to lead the wizarding world into a more accepting society. It just seems like the only way the wizarding world is going to rid itself of its racist attitudes is to adopt a more Hufflepuffish stand.
*nods* Hufflepuff's embody the equality that the wizarding community desperately needs. In addition to believing in an accepting society, Hufflepuff's are also very loyal and unafraid to stand up for each other (The difference between a Gryffindor and a Hufflepuff, imho, is that a Gryffindor would leap blindly to protect anyone (like James and Snape), whereas a Hufflepuff would think first, especially about who they're protecting). An army of Hufflepuffs would be much more formidable than an army of Slytherins, because they're going to place the needs of the group ahead the needs of the individual and will willing sacrifice themselves. Perhaps this is the reason why so many Hufflepuffs (or relatives of Hufflepuffs that I'm assuming to be Hufflepuffs <_< were in the DA and in the OotP.

A lot of my friends question me when I tell them that Hufflepuff is my favourite house, calling it a "misfit house" or a "cannon fodder house"; but can you really call a house who produced Cedric a 'misfit house'? Hufflepuffs are all different, which might give them the look of a 'misfit house', but they all get along with each other, something the other houses can't say as much. Most Hufflepuffs have a rare quality that most of the other people at Hogwarts don't have; loyalty and acceptance. Perhaps these should be the most sought after qualities rather than smarts, cunning, or braveness.
As for cannon fodder house? Sure one guy died, but compared to the other houses? Not really.

Old November 28th, 2006, 10:09 pm
Curse Breaker

gottalovelife, is that portrayl accurate? The books depict quite graphically the bias and judgemental attitudes of the wizarding world towards those who are different. Those judgements aren't limited to half-bloods, muggle borns, or half-breeds, but granted to other "pure" wizards as well. The students whose opinions we've heard regarding the relative merit of Hufflepuff house, namely Ron and Draco, are both very judgemental. But do you trust their judgement?

From what we've learned of Helga Hufflepuff, she was a kind woman who invited people from all walks of life to Hogwarts and taught them everything she knew. She seems to have valued itengrity, equality, and compassion. Her students, at least the ones we've gotten to know, seem to posess those same qualities.

They don't sound like pathetic loosers to me.

Old November 29th, 2006, 3:02 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissHufflepuff View Post
I THINK JK MENTIONED HUFFLEPUFF FIRST FOR A REASON....
Please don't shout. Typing responses in all caps violates The Forum Rules.
Rule 44. Please remember to watch your spelling, grammar and abbreviations. Lazy English and Instant Messaging/phone text lingo is not appreciated by anyone and doesn't help our many members who speak English as a second language. Please try and be as clear and precise as you can when posting. Remember to spell check your work using an online spell checker or MSWord and ALL CAPS is not to be used when posting comments.

It's time for some football!

J.K. Rowling's Official Website FAQs
Old November 29th, 2006, 11:10 am
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffley_love View Post
Hufflepuffs are portrayed that way by all the other houses, it doesn't mean they are that way. The song went: "Said Hufflepuff 'I'll teach the lot, and treat them just the same'" (off of memory, hope that's right.) This doesn't mean that Hufflepuffs are the leftovers, it meant that Hufflepuffs don't discriminate. We value fair play, remember? Leaving people out isn't fair.
lol, I was going to reply exactly the same. Great minds think alike

To take the lot means to make no difference in people. It means that it's not important if you are pureblood (Slytherin), specially academical (Ravenclaw) or particulary brave (Gryffindor). You can be all of it or non of it or you can have other qualities that are undervalued by other houses (fairness, intuition, kindness, tolerance, empathy, creativity, etc).
They are without any doubt the most tolerant and less discriminating house. It's no coincidence that Draco didn't want to be sorted into Hufflepuff. It also wouldn't surprise me if the activists for muggleborn rights and Squib rights (the witch on JKR webpage founder of the Squib society) were Hufflepuffs.
And I would be more than pleased to have Hufflepuffs in important positions in the ministry. (like Amelia Bones, assuming that she was a Hufflepuff) They would be probably less likely to be corrupted and the laws would be fairer. Unfortunately ambition is not a main characteristic of Hufflepuff (allthough it could be).

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old November 29th, 2006, 3:05 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by guad View Post
And I would be more than pleased to have Hufflepuffs in important positions in the ministry. (like Amelia Bones, assuming that she was a Hufflepuff) They would be probably less likely to be corrupted and the laws would be fairer. Unfortunately ambition is not a main characteristic of Hufflepuff (allthough it could be).
I'm another fan of Hufflepuff House, and I like the idea that Amelia Bones might have been a Hufflepuff like her relative Susan. She certainly had a reputation as a fair and impartial judge.

However, I suspect that, like every House, Hufflepuff probably has its downside, and I would guess that the big one is loyaltyn (a trait I very much admire, by the way). 'Bad' Hufflepuffs in the Ministry are probably the folks most likely to do something bad because they were 'following orders' (loyalty to the institution or theor superior). Probably it takes all types, in the Ministry as everywhere else, for things to go most smoothly-

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old November 29th, 2006, 7:29 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
Please don't shout. Typing responses in all caps violates The Forum Rules.
Rule 44. Please remember to watch your spelling, grammar and abbreviations. Lazy English and Instant Messaging/phone text lingo is not appreciated by anyone and doesn't help our many members who speak English as a second language. Please try and be as clear and precise as you can when posting. Remember to spell check your work using an online spell checker or MSWord and ALL CAPS is not to be used when posting comments.
That wasn't supposed to be shouting - i went on caps by mistake, sorry!

Old November 30th, 2006, 12:52 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius View Post
I'm another fan of Hufflepuff House, and I like the idea that Amelia Bones might have been a Hufflepuff like her relative Susan. She certainly had a reputation as a fair and impartial judge.

However, I suspect that, like every House, Hufflepuff probably has its downside, and I would guess that the big one is loyaltyn (a trait I very much admire, by the way). 'Bad' Hufflepuffs in the Ministry are probably the folks most likely to do something bad because they were 'following orders' (loyalty to the institution or theor superior). Probably it takes all types, in the Ministry as everywhere else, for things to go most smoothly-
Well, we know Hufflepuff had a few black sheep, look at Zacharias Smith.

However, just because Hufflepuffs are extremely loyal doesn't mean they'll blindly folow orders that are not worth following. You're always going to have a few (in every house, for that matter) that aren't quite the pick of the lot, so to say, but for the most part Hufflepuffs will make their own decisions based on their feelings of loyalty and fair play etc etc. Yes, the bad ones would probably be easily corrupted by the ministry, becuase they'd believe they were being loyal to the wizarding world and all that...but then again, you'll probably have people of all houses being corrupted by the ministry for many different reasons. The ministry seems to be quite skilled at the art of corruption.

...I wonder what house Fudge would've been in.

Sorry, I went a little off-topic there.

Quote of the day/week/login:
Ron: "Follow the spiders? Why couldn't it be follow the butterfiles?!"
Old November 30th, 2006, 9:52 am
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius View Post
However, I suspect that, like every House, Hufflepuff probably has its downside, and I would guess that the big one is loyaltyn (a trait I very much admire, by the way). 'Bad' Hufflepuffs in the Ministry are probably the folks most likely to do something bad because they were 'following orders' (loyalty to the institution or theor superior).
I think that is very possible. It seems that Hufflepuff has probably less inclination to break rules or to 'rebel' against norms, even if those are not entirely correct. (We know that Gryffindor and Slytherin both valued the lack of consideration for rules )
It could seem that Hufflepuffs maybe don't have a predisposition for leadership. Nontheless we have seen a few capable Hufflepuff leaders. Oliver said about Cedric that he put together a very strong side (in quidditch). If Amelia Bones was a Hufflepuff, then we have seen another capable and fair leader (she was Head of her department).

Maybe the 'downside' of Hufflepuff is to be too permissive with norms, as you say. Maybe they don't question enough the backgrounds of the people or institutions they are loyal to.
Allthough we have seen also Ernie McMillan who is loyal to Harry in OotP, when the ministry and general opinion was against him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffley_love View Post
However, just because Hufflepuffs are extremely loyal doesn't mean they'll blindly folow orders that are not worth following.
I don't think that the point is to follow blindly orders, but I think that in every house you have good sides and bad sides. Or every characteristic of a house can be positive as well as negative.
For example Gryffindor: Bravery is good, but it can degenerate into arrogance.
Or Slytherin: Ambition is good, but it becomes bad when you do everything to achieve your means, even hurting others.
Ravenclaw: Intelligence is good, but exaggerated academical knowledge can lead to lose track of real world (common sense).

So in Hufflepuff loyalty is good, but in extreme cases it can mean that one is loyal to someone even if they are not worth it. (maybe Bellatrix should have been in Hufflepuff? )

and random sidenote: I share birthday with the actual Head of Hufflepuff, which is of course extra cool She would be Taurus, which is an Earth zodiac sign, very fitting for Hufflepuff.

Last edited by guad; November 30th, 2006 at 10:06 am.
Old December 8th, 2006, 1:45 am
Second Year

I believe in hufflepuff they are loyal and brave but they seems stupid because they are low profile person without ambition. I like hufflepuff

Old December 11th, 2006, 3:09 am
Second Year

The Hufflepuff house is by far the least appreaciated and truly most mocked, both in the books and fandom. Yet it seems the most humane in many senses. Especially as the series continues the Gryffindor and Slytherin houses and representative have major flaws that are shown, and really when we think of bravery and courage, as well as cunningness and ambition they are not the best or healthiest of traits. Especially in large quanties and unbalanced, which is unfortunate as the rivalry seems to be more intense the more you inhabit these famous traits. While Hufflepuffs are known for being kind, loyal, forgiving, accepting, hardworking and talented. And really Cedric had fewer, at least obvious, flaws than most Gryfindors or Slytherins we know. They are also shown the least recognition for this hard work, forgiveness, acceptance and loyalty and yet they are not bitter about this, accept during the fourth book where the idea and chance of glory (the first time in several centuries) was stolen from them from a more appreciated house. In the first book McGonagall says that your house will be like your family for the next seven years, with Hufflepuff I actually view this as true.

Old December 21st, 2006, 6:17 am
Second Year

Hufflepuff stands for virtues I admire like loyalty and justice, which are often overlooked. I think the four houses was a good way to create in-school competition without falling back on typical school cliques. That being said, there always needs to be an underdog, and Hufflepuff is definitely it. I'm not sure if Gryffindor specificically is embarrassed to lose to Hufflepuff, but up until Harry joined the Quiddich team, Gyffindor was on a losing streak, so of course they don't like losing to Hufflepuff.

There were as many Hufflepuffs in the DA as there were Ravenclaws, so I think they will have just as much of a role in the war agains Voldemort as many of the other secondary student characters do.

As for Zacharias Smith, I think he's probably one of those obnoxious guys with perfect attendance and presents for the teachers.

Old December 22nd, 2006, 5:51 am
Deslumbrante

Is there a predominant quality that a Hufflepuff must have in order to be a Hufflepuff?
One of the points they always make about Hufflepuffs is their loyalty and value of fair play. They believe that everyone should be given equal footing and have the same opportunities. It's very well-exemplified by Cedric in GoF when he refuses to take the cup because of Harry helping him.

Hufflepuff House seems to be the collection house for those that don't fit in the other houses, is this the case? Could it be a collection of students who don't fit in the other houses plus those specifically chosen for Hufflepuff house?
I think that Hufflepuff is the house for people who may possess certain qualities from other houses but don't express them as evidently. A Hufflepuff might be brave or smart, but they are usually considered more average. Maybe it's because of their desire to see everyone treated equally that they don't have as much ambition as everyone else. As evidenced by the Sorting Hat, Hufflepuff is the most accepting house and will take on the students no one else wants so in this sense it may be considered the "left over" house, but it also has its own distinct qualities that its members tend to exhibit.

What Hufflepuffs do you think will be key players in the last book?
I don't know if we have any evidence that any Hufflepuffs will have very important roles in the last book. When you look at the people who were by Harry's side in the most difficult parts of his life, it's always the Weasleys, Neville, and Luna. This isn't to say that the Hufflepuffs don't support Harry, but when it comes to fighting Voldemort, they aren't in the foreground; they'll have more of a supporting role.

What are some of the decisions that students from other houses have made that Hufflepuffs would decide differently?
Once again, a perfect example of this situation would be in the maze in GoF. Cedric chose not to take the cup because of all the help Harry had given him, despite the fact that Cedric had helped Harry. A Slytherin, out for personal gain, would have taken the cup once it was apparent that Harry could no longer compete. Also, many people in other houses wouldn't have chosen to reciprocate Harry's information like Cedric did (info on the egg).
Hufflepuffs tend to act in a way that will help other people, which brings about their own supposed mediocrity. In their desire to help others and make sure everyone has an even footing, they end up inadverently giving others the advantage that they cannot have.

What are the significance of Earth and the Badger to Hufflepuff?
We think of Earth signs as very grounded people who aren't flighty and know where they stand. I think this is meant to indicate that Hufflepuffs are very level-headed individuals who know where they stand in life.

Old December 26th, 2006, 2:37 am
Seventh Year

Is there a predominant quality that a Hufflepuff must have in order to be a Hufflepuff?
I think what Helga Hufflepuff wanted was for her students to be nice people, it didn't matter if they weren't that brave, or that smart, or different, but they had to be true and fair. And I think it also applies the other way around, there can be exceptionaly smart or brave Hufflepuffs (as mentioned above, Cedirc didn't seem to lack any of this qualities), yet if what they value the most is fairness and loyalty then this would be the House for them.

Hufflepuff House seems to be the collection house for those that don't fit in the other houses, is this the case? Could it be a collection of students who don't fit in the other houses plus those specifically chosen for Hufflepuff house?
It's interesting beucase Hufflepuffs' description lists a lot more qualities than the other houses and yet they are considered the ones that don't have anything special. Helga wanted them to accept all, be just, that's what gives her House so much variety, they don't have to melt into a stereotype but accept other people's differences.

What Hufflepuffs do you think will be key players in the last book?
The first two to come to mind are Justin Finch-Fletchley and Ernie McMillan, they have shared all their school years with Harry and were the two Hufflepuffs closest to him. I don't know which role will Sprout play puting Hogwarts back together, but I wouldn't bet much on it.

What are some of the decisions that students from other houses have made that Hufflepuffs would decide differently?
Well Hufflepuffs strike me as a lot more low-profile that the other Houses, they rather find a quick solution and keep it peaceful than run into adventure. I'm not saying they are cowards, they just seem more practical.

What are the significance of Earth and the Badger to Hufflepuff?
I'm clueless with the Badger, but Hufflepuffs do seem to be a lot more down to Earth than the rest. They value hard work and truthfulness; they don't care that much about ambitions and going far; study is alright but it's living what matters.

What is the significance of JKR splitting the students into classes and why did she make Hufflepuff House from a literary perspective?
I believe each House represents a stereotype you’d usually find in any school/life. The brave kids most people likes (Gryffindors), the bullies everyone despises (Slytherin), the Know-It-Alls (Ravenclaws) and the low profile students who can be very good people yet no-one pays them much attention (Hufflepuffs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by guad View Post
Maybe the 'downside' of Hufflepuff is to be too permissive with norms, as you say. Maybe they don't question enough the backgrounds of the people or institutions they are loyal to.
Could it be that so much acceptance can be seen as naive? It strikes me now that this can be compared to Dumbledore's behaviour towards Snape, you need to take a risk to accept people and sometimes you can't know if you're right or not. Hufflepuffs seem like the kind of people who would accept someone to the end and always give them the benefit of the doubt. That can be great, or it can be a disaster.

Last edited by Puchula; December 26th, 2006 at 2:44 am.
Old December 30th, 2006, 7:42 am
First Year

Well, I don't know if this has anything to do with why Gryffindor and Hufflepuff were grouped together more in classes but fire and earth tend to be more closely tied than fire and air...or at least in my mind. Fire and water go against each other and when it comes to classes will tend to be in the more combative classes (potions, care for magical creatures--not much nourishering as compared to herbology). I don't know, it was just a thought.

Another thing about Hufflepuff in fighting Voldy is that they are more of the support, backbone, or hard line against the enemy but not the ones that will defeat the enemy as water erodes earth, but water can be confined by earth. Just getting into the conotations of the elementary nature of the 4 houses.

Think about Helga's Chalice. It is all encompassing and going back to the Arthurian Hallows, all three other hallows IIRC go into the chalice (eg. the sword, specter, pinnacle).

Interestingly enough there is almost a class dynamic with the order of the elements/houses: earth, air, fire, water : majority of the population, artisans/thinkers, warriors/fighters, and lords/nobles/royalty. (obviously I am refering to the old feudal/Middle Ages class system

Old January 11th, 2007, 8:16 am
Second Year

I find that most Hufflepuffs are fairly laid back and easy going. There's not much of a rivalry between them and any other house...that we're aware of...same with Ravenclaw. And they seem to have this strong loyalty that even Gryffindors seem to have. I think that people in Hufflepuff have a lot of things that the rest of the people in other houses either have...or don't. I think if I had to choose any house to be in...I'd want to be in Hufflepuff. Not Gryffindor, not Ravenclaw....not Slytherin...but Hufflepuff. I think it sounds funny too. lol

Old January 24th, 2007, 10:18 pm
First Year

Hufflepuff is my favourite house of all the houses at Hogwarts.

I think the predominant quality a Hufflepuff must have in order to be a Hufflepuff is generosity.

In a true sense only those who have can give. And though others may think of Hufflepuffers as "losers" or "leftovers" - Hufflepuffers themselves must know that they are the inheritors of the earth therefore bounty and abundance is their lot.

They are the golden children.

Old March 17th, 2007, 6:58 pm
Fourth Year

I'm sorry that the only leading Huffepuff character, so far, got killed off at the end of Book 4.

To be a heretic and think about the other houses from the Hufflepuff point of view:

Gryffindors are impressive, but a bit off-balance. (Not to say crazy! ) They tend to let their emotions run away with them. They're attracted to brilliant deeds of derring-do. But sometimes they're just flashy. They may not have the stamina to endure. They can burn out.

Ravenclaws on the other hand are a bit cold and over-intellectual. They can get overly involved in a private world of knowledge for its own sake, and forget what knowledge is for -- and sometimes, what "pure knowledge" can do to people! They can be oblivious to what's important in life. And, frankly, a bit snobby!

As for Slytherin, well, they're just the opposite of Hufflepuff, that's all. Glad not to have double lessons with that House, they're utterly slimy. Above all, never let a Slytherin in on a secret or lend them money!

Hufflepuff: We don't break into cliques as much as the other Houses. One of the reasons we don't win the school prizes as often is that most of us really don't care quite as much about coming out on top. It isn't necessary for everything in life to be a contest! A Hufflepuff completes more with his or her own past performance than with other people, and we care more about getting things right in the end than racing through them. We can count on our Hufflepuff friends for help with lessons and problems. Above all, we can trust each other. And we won't lose touch after graduation, we're solid friends for the rest of our lives. Wouldn't change Houses for anything!

Last edited by fruitia pickleweed; March 17th, 2007 at 7:12 pm.
Old March 17th, 2007, 9:05 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitia pickleweed View Post
Hufflepuff: We don't break into cliques as much as the other Houses. One of the reasons we don't win the school prizes as often is that most of us really don't care quite as much about coming out on top.
I like this, specially the clique point. I don't know why, but it seems that Hufflepuffs are generally quite open to other houses and people, maybe more than Ravenclaws or Gryffindors. I can't really tell why I have this feeling though.

Old March 18th, 2007, 10:46 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I like this, specially the clique point. I don't know why, but it seems that Hufflepuffs are generally quite open to other houses and people, maybe more than Ravenclaws or Gryffindors. I can't really tell why I have this feeling though.
I think they are more open to the other houses- Cedric and Cho, Ernie, Hannah, and Justin are friendly with Harry. It's just that they are extremly loyal- ex. when Ernie thought that Harry attacked Justin, they retreat back into their own house.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies