Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies

Ginevra (Ginny) Weasley: Character Analysis

Old October 31st, 2006, 10:40 pm
Zonko's Employee

Re: Ginevra (Ginny) Weasley: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilysmum7
Ginny just attacks all and sundry. I think she has been somewhat spoilt as the only girl, and it is starting to show now, in her actions and her ego.
Actually, Ginny shows no signs of being spoilt. It's just natural that being the only female in a family which hasn't had a girl in generations that her parents and brothers would treat her with special care. But it's not your conventional special treatment. She's allowed to have her own voice, they gave her the necessary space that let her grow up on her own. Fred and George didn't let her fly in their brooms and she had to break into the shed to gain access to them. If the twins had handed her their Quidditch brooms on a silver platter, that kind of behavior from her family would've snatched away her independence and that strong head on her shoulders, and we all know how fiery and strong willed she can be, and that means she was allowed to learn the ropes by herself. Which brings me to my next point that she fights for what she believes in. She is compassionate and she fiercely defends her friends, and the attacks corresponding to that characteristic is definitely not a bad thing, for instance when she stood up for Harry when Hermione was about to lecture him right after he attacked Malfoy. There was no need for Hermione to tell Harry that what happened was just downright wrong especially after knowing fully well that he was suffering from guilt and Ginny had showed up at the right time.

Quote:
We don't know her well enough to tell, really.
On the contrary, we do know quite a bit about the effects of her experience with Riddle's diary. I think it was Guad who had mentioned this a couple of posts earlier that Ginny tends to respond "coolly" or react fiercely when Riddle's diary was mentioned and when she had suspected something similar to her experience, which is perfectly true because she really did react that way when Harry was talking about being possessed by Voldemort and when she overheard him telling Ron about following instructions from the Prince's book. These instances prove that her encounter with the diary had helped her build stronger shields and had also aided her in discarding her naivety, hence making her respond that way

Dance Pretty
Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2006, 11:00 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBookWorm View Post
She's loyal like Ron, impish like the twins, fierce like her mother, good at quidditch like much of her family. I really like her.
So do I. And her feisty personality balances Hermione (who tends to panic in a crisis) very nicely. I didn't like the scene in the film of PoA when Hermione punched Draco, because it was completely out of character, but Ginny could have got away with it. She's very red-headed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by guad View Post
I am sorry, but I have seen much more compassion from Ginny than from the twins. She defends Luna from being called Loony, just to give an example. She does not just attack all and sundry, that is just not true.
Ginny stands up for Neville all the time too - even back when she hardly dared speak aloud in front of Harry! In fact, she's got a bit of the same "saving people thing" that Harry's got, standing up for the weak and attacking the bullies.

Old November 1st, 2006, 2:33 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

lilysmum7: I don't understand on what you're basing Ginny's being "spoiled", on. She's the only girl, so of course she gets special treatment, but, imo, neither her nor her brothers seem to be spoiled. It's kind of tough being "spoiled" when you didn't grow up with stuff to be spoiled with. Mind giving some specific examples and canon to help show this point?

Old November 1st, 2006, 6:43 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabel View Post
I didn't like the scene in the film of PoA when Hermione punched Draco, because it was completely out of character, but Ginny could have got away with it. She's very red-headed!
But that scene was actually canon (well, in the book she slaps him ) In the movies they needed a powergirl, and Hermione filled in that role. It would be nice if Ginny got to play this part in movie 5, because it actually would fit a lot in her character description.

(incidentally, are we allowed to peripherally mention the movies here? Regarding the book characters of course I mean)

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old November 2nd, 2006, 1:34 am
Second Year

Okay, get ready for a long post. I wanted to answer all of the questions - here goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2 View Post
[*]What is the significance of Ginny's position in her family (seventh child, only girl born in generations,etc.) and what does it mean for her role in book 7?
I think that being the only girl has made Ginny a stronger, more forceful person - you have to be assertive to hold your own with all of those older boys! JK has said that the number 7's mystical qualities have not yet been identified. I think that Ginny's being the only girl, as well as the seventh Weasley child all implicitly point toward her importance to the HP series. JK mentions the unidentified quality of the number 7, and maybe Ginny's being the seventh child will be a part of some revelation concerning the number 7 in Book 7.

Quote:
[*]In OoTP, Ginny seems to have changed from an awkward, shy character to a bolder more determined one. Does her character actually change at this point or is this part of her hidden in the earlier books because of Harry's point of view?
I think that Ginny was always strong and determined. As others have pointed out, Ron told Harry that Ginny was usually very talkative, plus the whole breaking into the broom shed thing, plus the moxie involved in sending her crush a singing Valentine... I think that her crush on Harry (through the Harry filter) made her seem more inhibited than she ever was.

Quote:
[*]On a few occasions, Ginny reacts strongly against people who anger her, such as Ron in the stairway and Smith at the Quidditch match. Is this a strength or a flaw?
It's both. Her temper can get nasty sometimes - like possibly injuring Zacharias Smith at the Quidditch match - but you can't really say that he didn't deserve it. I would actually like to be a little more like her myself. However, she had to be a little more careful about going on the attack, or she might go too far. Think Sirius and the werewolf prank.

Quote:
[*]Does Ginny show any lasting emotional effects from her ordeal with Riddle? If so, what are they and how have they affected her role in the series?
I'm not sure. She seems to be an introverted person when it comes to her personal feelings, so maybe that's an effect of having your diary try to kill you. It may have spurred her into fighting when it comes to Voldemort - I can't really tell, though - stupid Harry filter.

Quote:
[*]How do Ginny's relationships with each of her different brothers and Harry and Hermione reflect different aspects of her personality?
As others have said, I think that Ginny looks up to Bill and Charlie with that kind of awe that younger siblings have sometimes (In OotP, Ginny says that Bill doesn't like Snape, and Harry thought that she said it as if Bill's opinion decided the matter). This shows that she looks up to and listens to people that she deems worthy, I think.
Ginny seems to have a loving relationship with Percy right up until his rift with the family. She tries to keep the twins from bullying Percy about his girlfriend in CoS, and Percy is concerned about her "nightmares" and gets her to take Pepperup Potion when she appears to be under the weather (also CoS). The pre-OotP Percy/Ginny dynamic shows her caring side - which is also present in the way she deals with Luna Lovegood in HBP.
Fred and George are a lot like Ginny, so I think she sees them as kindred spirits (although they still try to pull that older brother protectiveness with her - like the "too many boyfriends in HBP). Ginny's sense of humor, her propensity for rule-breaking (she and the twins organize Harry's sneaking into Umbridge's office) and resourcefulness are all paralleled by the twins.
Ron and Ginny are only a year apart, so Ginny is more likely to stand up to him (like whenever he "harps on" about her boyfriends) and hang out with him (she seems to interact with Ron more than with any other Weasley - although that could be because she wants to be around Harry).
Ginny finally loosens up around Harry in OotP. We get to see her real character, which happens to be sympathetic (or symbiotic, whatever) to Harry's - they are both bold, feisty, good Quidditch players, and both have a "certain disregard for rules." Ginny sticks up for Harry's cursing Malfoy in the bathroom in HBP, even though the spell was an awful one. In her opinion, Malfoy was trying to do something worse to Harry (which he was). She has her own system of justification that is not entirely within bounds, just like Harry (although Harry said that he never would have used that curse if he had known what it did).
Ginny and Hermione usually get along very well (apart from the aforementioned Sectumsempra episode), but we don't really know what goes on between them - Harry filter again. However, Ginny tells Harry that Hermione told her to get other boyfriends and loosen up around Harry - in order to attract his attention. So Ginny tells Hermione about her personal feelings - something that she seems very closed about ordinarily.

Quote:
[*]What role do you see Ginny playing in book 7?
I think that she will get back together with Harry, and will most certainly help him on the quest to defeat Voldemort. I don't think JK started a relationship between Harry and Ginny just to have him end it, so I definitely think that they will get back together. Again, I think someone mentioned this - Ginny is way too strong and determined to A) let Harry out of her life and B) let Harry go into terrible danger without her help. Maybe she'll sneak after the trio when they leave to start the Horcrux hunt. Or, something will happen at Hogwarts and Harry will realize that he can better ensure Ginny's safety if she's with him. At any rate, I think that they will get back together in Book 7, and so she will be an integral character.

"Just because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have," said Hermione.

Harry's "hand closed automatically around the fake Horcrux, but in spite of everything, in spite of the dark and twisting path he saw stretching ahead for himself, in spite of the final meeting with Voldemort he knew must come, whether in a month, in a year, or in ten, he felt his heart lift at the thought that there was still one last golden day of peace left to enjoy with Ron and Hermione." - HP and the Half-Blood Prince

Last edited by Malindorie; November 2nd, 2006 at 1:36 am.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 9:34 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
lilysmum7: I don't understand on what you're basing Ginny's being "spoiled", on. She's the only girl, so of course she gets special treatment, but, imo, neither her nor her brothers seem to be spoiled. It's kind of tough being "spoiled" when you didn't grow up with stuff to be spoiled with. Mind giving some specific examples and canon to help show this point?
I've just came back here, and didn't mean to ignore you,.....sorry! I'm having a bit of a block tonight, and I know what I mean in my head, but it isn't translating to paper very well.

Let me try to re word it, and see if it makes sense then....Lets take out the word spoilt, and use another. I don't dislike Ginny, I just find her a little too much at times. Where I come from, manners mean an awful lot. If someone here was as forward as Ginny, so quick to anger, so quick to attack, it wouldn't be praised. But in the books, Ginny does anger quickly, attacks quickly, and everyone seems to love her more because of it, its just (not behavior that I personally find acceptable). Its because this behavior seems to be praised in Ginny, is what led me to label it as 'spoilt', maybe the wrong word....I can't see Ron, or the twins getting away with attacking people nor can I see them not being reprimanded if their tempers were similarly so quick to flare. Am I making any sense here, or do I need to try again?

Old November 3rd, 2006, 10:33 am
Member of the Order

Ginny is definitely not spoiled, though. She's certainly overprotected by Molly, but Molly is even stricter with Ginny than she is with the boys. Although Ginny's innocent demeanor means she is better at fooling her mother and getting away with, for example, throwing dungbombs. She is determined, but as the youngest of 7 children she needs to be. Stealing her brothers' brooms to learnt to fly is a good example. Growing up with Fred and George, I'd say that being able to fight back and defend yourself is important. Her brothers certainly respect her for it.

Old November 3rd, 2006, 3:49 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilysmum7 View Post
I've just came back here, and didn't mean to ignore you,.....sorry! I'm having a bit of a block tonight, and I know what I mean in my head, but it isn't translating to paper very well.

Let me try to re word it, and see if it makes sense then....Lets take out the word spoilt, and use another. I don't dislike Ginny, I just find her a little too much at times. Where I come from, manners mean an awful lot. If someone here was as forward as Ginny, so quick to anger, so quick to attack, it wouldn't be praised. But in the books, Ginny does anger quickly, attacks quickly, and everyone seems to love her more because of it, its just (not behavior that I personally find acceptable). Its because this behavior seems to be praised in Ginny, is what led me to label it as 'spoilt', maybe the wrong word....I can't see Ron, or the twins getting away with attacking people nor can I see them not being reprimanded if their tempers were similarly so quick to flare. Am I making any sense here, or do I need to try again?
I know what you mean but one needs to understand Harry needs a tough girlfriend: someone who, instead of crying and stopping him, would support him on his quest for the Horcruxes, someone who would not sit and pray for him, but get involved in the action. And Ginny is every one of those things. She is tough, strong, and her temper is going to be very useful. Didn't Bellatrix say, "[snip]You need to mean them, Potter! You need to really want to cause pain --to enjoy it-- righteous anger won't hurt me for long [snip] (The Only One He Ever Feared, OotP)

Bold mine. Ginny's anger is meaningful and I won't be surprised if she can produce an Unforgivable Curse if she wants to.

Old November 3rd, 2006, 7:29 pm
Fourth Year

Does anyobe dislike her? ANd i mean apart form those who ship against her?

I was off ehr for a bit....and she's still not my favourite. I jsut don't get the fuss on why she's so amazing, adn why in one book so mnay [peopel can decide they love her. I don't get why she was only a good enough character for harry when seh stopped being shy and sweet, but turbed into the pretiest, most popular girl in school, who goes around doing everything to get her own way. the first words we heard from her in HBP were that fleur was worse than umbridge! What does she have against her? Hermione was also acting really badly!

She also snapped at everyone during the year, and showed off quite a bit. I think, to be hoenst, i just don't get her. Can someone please tell me what is so great about ginny, and how nice she really is, because all I can think of is the rude, irritating 15 year-old who amazingly (and quite suddenly) got harry in HBP. She's a fiery red-head...so? She can be nice to people at times? so? For al thsoe who think she's original too...how is she that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugglesrock View Post
I know what you mean but one needs to understand Harry needs a tough girlfriend: someone who, instead of crying and stopping him, would support him on his quest for the Horcruxes, someone who would not sit and pray for him, but get involved in the action. And Ginny is every one of those things. She is tough, strong, and her temper is going to be very useful. Didn't Bellatrix say, "[snip]You need to mean them, Potter! You need to really want to cause pain --to enjoy it-- righteous anger won't hurt me for long [snip] (The Only One He Ever Feared, OotP)

Bold mine. Ginny's anger is meaningful and I won't be surprised if she can produce an Unforgivable Curse if she wants to.
I know what you're saying, and I guess it's that which makes her right for Harry. I just don't particulaly like her a lot of the time. It may make her brave and protective of harry, who she loves...but she's not always very nice to hermione and ron for example! Why does she get praised and adored for being rude??? She's juts a typical, annoying fiery heroine, who always buts in and everyone lets her, because suddenly.....she's this amazing character becuase she's changed from being shy to outgoing. HBP was like so suddenly ginny, ginny, ginny!

Anyway, I can't imagine getting away with behaviour like hers anyway. You can be strong and brave without being rude and so hot-tempered. Plus, she'd probably hate me in real life because i'm not 'cool' enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugglesrock View Post

I know what you're saying, and I guess it's that which makes her right for Harry. I just don't particulaly like her a lot of the time. It may make her brave and protective of harry, who she loves...but she's not always very nice to hermione and ron for example! Why does she get praised and adored for being rude??? She's juts a typical, annoying fiery heroine, who always buts in and everyone lets her, because suddenly.....she's this amazing character becuase she's changed from being shy to outgoing. HBP was like so suddenly ginny, ginny, ginny!

Anyway, I can't imagine getting away with behaviour like hers anyway. You can be strong and brave without being rude and so hot-tempered. Plus, she'd probably hate me in real life because i'm not 'cool' enough.

The main difference between her and Ron, is that at least Ron knows he makes mistakes and is apologetic afterwards.

Last edited by MissHufflepuff; November 3rd, 2006 at 7:36 pm.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 7:51 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissHufflepuff
Can someone please tell me what is so great about ginny, and how nice she really is, because all I can think of is the rude, irritating 15 year-old who amazingly (and quite suddenly) got harry in HBP.
Well, I'll just quote some amazing points about Ginny made by people in this thread: (And of course these are posts I agree with and caught my eye quickly so no offense to anyone I didn't quote.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotionA
I honestly didn't see her as merely the hero's love interest because there are things about her which gave depth to her character. She was also a good friend before they started dating, she is also a member of the only family in which Harry felt accepted and loved, she is the only person Harry personally knows, apart from himself, to be possessed by Voldemort, which brings me to the next point that she might have something important to contribute since she was in direct contact with a Horcrux, plus she is independent and strong and knows how to handle herself and is also shown as a compassionate indovidual and stands up fiercely for her friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose
Ginny is interesting because she has flaws... I mean she really needs to control her temper sometimes but she wouldn't be Ginny without it. I'm so glad that JK didn't write her as some cardboard cut out bimbo..if a DeathEater strikes no way will she turn around crying for Harry, she'll probably headbut the DeathEater right there!
JK has specifically said that she wanted Harry (and therefor 'us') to gradually get to know her and that's what's happened. True love never runs smoothly, not even at Hogwarts and both Harry and Ginny went down other paths (Cho,Michael and Dean) before finding each other and by that time Ginny had grown up and lost her schoolgirl crush and in it's place was a healthy teenaged interest.
Yes, I guess she has been written to be mainly the love interest of Harry but every single character has been written to be something to Harry..friend, mentor, teacher, aunt, mortal enemy etc But each character has also been given a 'character' or we wouldn't know that Hermione is a (lovable) fussy bookworm or Dumbledore loves Sherbert Lemons or that Ginny is good at Quidditch, dosen't mind touching maggots, loves her brothers but dosen't like being babied, is kind to people that generally get mocked by others, likes a laugh etc etc etc.
So I don't agree that she is not a well developed character, she is fine just as she is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBookWorm
Ginny has been revealed to us slowly. She had to get to dating age to be completely revealed to us since she was younger than the trio. Otherwise it would have seemed yucky. I can't add much to the above assessment. Ginny has been written to have traits that would make her compatible with Harry. But those traits also can be found in her family, so it isn't an unrealistic portrayal. She's loyal like Ron, impish like the twins, fierce like her mother, good at quidditch like much of her family. I really like her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guad
I agree. Meanwhile I estimate that she is more mature than other girls of her age, mainly due to the Tom Riddle episode, she is also described ast the normal teenage girl, with Arnold and also when they are looking with Hermione at the Wonder Witch products in the Twins shop (the pimple remover and the lovepotions). I like this because it makes her very realistic.
I also remember that there is one moment when Harry looks at her while she is playing with Arnold and he momentarily loses track of the other conversation, and this was before he realised about his crush on her. (If I don't remember wrong). That was very cute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotionA
(snip)Which brings me to my next point that she fights for what she believes in. She is compassionate and she fiercely defends her friends, and the attacks corresponding to that characteristic is definitely not a bad thing, for instance when she stood up for Harry when Hermione was about to lecture him right after he attacked Malfoy. There was no need for Hermione to tell Harry that what happened was just downright wrong especially after knowing fully well that he was suffering from guilt and Ginny had showed up at the right time.

These sum up why people like Ginny as she is written. Hope that helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissHufflepuff
but she's not always very nice to hermione and ron for example! Why does she get praised and adored for being rude??? She's juts a typical, annoying fiery heroine, who always buts in and everyone lets her, because suddenly.....she's this amazing character becuase she's changed from being shy to outgoing. HBP was like so suddenly ginny, ginny, ginny!
May I ask for examples? When did Ginny ever snap at Ron or Hermione without reason?
Ron was butting into her love life and was about to call her a [insert word here] in reference to her kissing boys. If that's what you're mentioning to, then I'm sorry but Ginny was right, IMO. And as for Hermione, if you're refering to the time when Hermione was annoying Harry by telling him he was wrong about the Half-Blood Prince being a nice person, then I'm still with Ginny. No character bashing meant, because I love Hermione. But she admits herself she didn't "understand" Quidditch and she was quite jealous and angry at Harry because he was the new Potions favorite.

Last edited by mugglesrock; November 3rd, 2006 at 7:54 pm.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 8:10 pm
MODLY CREW

Please remember, no character bashing!

I really like Ginny because she knows what she wants and she is not afraid to speak up for herself. That's important since female characters have been passive and often one-dimensional for centuries and especially the fantasy genre has to struggle with stereotypes.

Old November 3rd, 2006, 8:36 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissHufflepuff View Post
Does anyobe dislike her? ANd i mean apart form those who ship against her?

I was off ehr for a bit....and she's still not my favourite. I jsut don't get the fuss on why she's so amazing, adn why in one book so mnay [peopel can decide they love her. I don't get why she was only a good enough character for harry when seh stopped being shy and sweet, but turbed into the pretiest, most popular girl in school, who goes around doing everything to get her own way. the first words we heard from her in HBP were that fleur was worse than umbridge! What does she have against her? Hermione was also acting really badly!

She also snapped at everyone during the year, and showed off quite a bit. I think, to be hoenst, i just don't get her. Can someone please tell me what is so great about ginny, and how nice she really is, because all I can think of is the rude, irritating 15 year-old who amazingly (and quite suddenly) got harry in HBP. She's a fiery red-head...so? She can be nice to people at times? so? For al thsoe who think she's original too...how is she that?

The main difference between her and Ron, is that at least Ron knows he makes mistakes and is apologetic afterwards.

Thanks for the quotes. I istill found the whole thing very sudden though....i didn't find her transition in HBP especially with harry, who decided he loved her in about two months *rolls eyes* (couldn't there have been a little bit more transition in that? I'm not saying as long as Ron/hermine....but a bit forced by JK or what?).
I wasn't very impressed with her constant smarmy comments and tripping up of ron, little things like that. Reading HBP, she jsut acts so constantly full of herself..it's so annoying! Why not stay like she was in OOTP? A strong character, but still with enough dignity and respect for other people! I'm tryng to like her, I really am, but I don't like a lot of the way she behaves. That and the fact that everytime she makes a mistake she seems to get praised for it! "Oh great, Ginny was rude about Fleur! How gutsy! Oh how AMAZING! She's such a strong character becuase she makes smarmy comments to harry about fleur, about him fancying her! That makes her such a strong character!"
I'm not trying to offend you, it's just that I see her as quite unnecessarily rude at times, and I don't like it. Any other character would be condmened for it.....but ginny? No, i'm obviously jsut jealous of her becuse she's a strong character. Ok, i get it now! I just don't find many of her actions acceptable. Sorry.

Old November 3rd, 2006, 8:40 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
I'll explain why Ginny is one of my favourite characters, and has been since I started reading the series.

I identify a lot with what Ginny went through in the early books. I could be painfully shy at times, especially around my crushes, and I never quite felt that I fit in at school. Turning to the diary, as Ginny did, seemed a very natural thing to do, and I completely sympathised - it can be hard to make truly close friends at a new school, at least at first.

What I love is the way Ginny overcame all this. She realised (with Hermione's help) that being afraid of Harry all the time wasn't getting her anywhere. So she got on with her life - she got a boyfriend, gained some confidence, grew more comfortable in her own skin. What it is important to realise is that Ginny has always been the fiesty, sharp-witted girl she is now - we simply never saw it, because the books are told from Harry's point of view, and Ginny was always shy around Harry. Part of her development as a character has involved overcoming this shyness, and allowing her true personality to shine when in Harry's presence. I find it a very inspiring story, personally - I wish I had been able to overcome my shyness in such a way at school. Ginny doesn't choose the easy route and get depressed about it all, as Tonks and Merope did in similar situations - she just got on with things, and in the end, she was rewarded for it.

Does it ever say that Ginny is seen as "the prettiest, most popular" girl in school? I don't remember reading that. The only time she is described as popular is a reference to the fact that a lot of boys seem to find her attractive. She is not, in any sense, a stereotypical "mean girl" - her character is much more well-drawn than that. She doesn't hang around with a gang of giggling girls, as Cho did - she befriends "uncool" people like Luna and Neville (she respected Luna when the trio themselves thought she was insane), and fiercely defends them.

And how exactly does she "go around doing everything to get her own way"? I didn't see her manipulating things so that Harry would fall out of love with Cho, then ditching Dean the moment she got a hint that Harry fancied her. I didn't see her cheating her way onto the Quidditch team. I'm really struggling to understand where this perception of Ginny has come from - do you have any evidence from the books?

Ginny didn't like Fleur, but neither did Mrs Weasley or Hermione - and let's face it, a lot of readers didn't like her at that point, either. Fleur had, at that point, shown herself mostly to be vain and arrogant, and it's not very much fun living with someone like that for several months.

Quote:
She "snapped" at a few people and put across her views forcefully, but the character who springs to mind most when I read the word "snapped" is Hermione - she snaps at people constantly, often whenever they do so much as present a differing opinion. Surely this should make her as "irritating" as Ginny? Also, in what way did Ginny "show off?" Again, I'd like to see examples, because I don't remember any of that.

I like Ginny because she stands her ground, and she fiercely defends herself, as well as those she cares about. She has a wonderfully biting wit which can be read as "rude" by others (I suffer from the same affliction myself), but she has a very kind heart, as seen by the way she befriends Luna, and goes to the ball with Neville even though she could have ditched him and gone with Harry, her dream guy.

I also dispute that she "suddenly got Harry" in HBP - Jo had very carefully been setting up that romance for five novels before we got to HBP. It was all there in the character development, and I thought it was very clear that they were being set up to fall in love. Once Ginny overcame her insecurities and Harry started spending time with the real Ginny, he slowly started to fall for her, unconsciously at first. When he finally realised how he felt, it was like an explosion in his mind, as it often is. I found it quite a realistic depiction of teenage romance, actually.

I don't remember anyone saying Ginny is "original", but I also don't see how this is a reason to dislike a character. Kind old wizards with beards aren't original, and neither are nerdy friends. That's no reason to dislike Dumbledore or Hermione.

Quote:
Ron and Hermione aren't particularly nice to each other at times, either - do you dislike them for the same reasons you dislike Ginny? Otherwise, if I may say so, that comes across as double-standards. The twins are also incredibly rude and insulting at times - do you dislike them? And as I have said, HBP was not "suddenly Ginny Ginny Ginny" - Ginny emerged as a strong character, perfect for Harry, in OotP, through Jo's clever (and subtle) character development. And there's nothing wrong with a fiesty girl.

Quote:
Luna and Neville are probably the two most "uncool" people in the school, but Ginny befriended them, defended them, and clearly has a great deal of affection for them. In fact, Ginny is a huge part of the reason Luna made friends in the trio, and has also helped Neville become more confident about who he is. Ginny is also good friends with Hermione, who is hardly seen as "cool" herself. I just don't understand where you get that impression of Ginny from - all the canon evidence shows that Ginny hangs around with "uncool" people rather than "cool" people. If I may say so, you seem to be judging Ginny as a stereotype, rather than judging her as a character based on the evidence in the books.

Edit:

Quote:
Thanks for the quotes. I istill found the whole thing very sudden though....i didn't find her transition in HBP especially with harry, who decided he loved her in about two months *rolls eyes* (couldn't there have been a little bit more transition in that? I'm not saying as long as Ron/hermine....but a bit forced by JK or what?).
There was a massive transition - it was called OotP. It was just so subtle that a lot of people seemed to miss it. Harry is falling for Ginny during the final parts of OotP - he just doesn't realise it. Throughout OotP, he becomes disenchanted with Cho, while starting to notice Ginny - he learns of her Quidditch ability, sees how good a witch she is, and watches as she helps him fight Death Eaters at the Ministry. He gains respect for her, and starts to see her in a different light - we are often told of his stunned reaction when he finds out these things, and he even dwells on Ginny's Quidditch performance whil lying in bed one night. All this happens over the course of ten months. Then he spends a summer with her at The Burrow, and now Cho is completely wiped from his mind, he begins to truly fall for her - we're given many hints about that. He just doesn't realise it for another two or three months, until he sees her kissing Dean. Then he has to wait another four or five months to get together with her. That's almost two years of build up - hardly sudden.

Quote:
I wasn't very impressed with her constant smarmy comments and tripping up of ron, little things like that. Reading HBP, she jsut acts so constantly full of herself..it's so annoying! Why not stay like she was in OOTP? A strong character, but still with enough dignity and respect for other people!
I didn't read any "smarmy" comments - I read a lot of witty ones, which were actually very similar to the sort of jokes Harry makes (and indeed, they often shared those jokes between them in HBP). Her tripping up of Ron was pure Fred and George. And in what way is she full of herself? Again, I'm slightly baffled about this - I'd like to see canon evidence. She's confident about her abilities - just because she isn't racked with insecurity like Ron and Hermione doesn't make her "full of herself". I also did not see any real change in her personality between OotP and HBP - we just see a bit more of her in HBP.

Last edited by FaceofBoe; November 3rd, 2006 at 8:52 pm.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 8:48 pm
Sixth Year

Great post, FaceofBoe. Couldn't have said it better, myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceofBoe View Post
If I may say so, you seem to be judging Ginny as a stereotype, rather than judging her as a character based on the evidence in the books.
I totally agree. I think the problem is there for people who dislike Ginny: if you cut out the popular, pretty part of Ginny's physical appearance, I think people would notice her personality more.

Old November 3rd, 2006, 9:12 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceofBoe View Post
There was a massive transition - it was called OotP. It was just so subtle that a lot of people seemed to miss it. Harry is falling for Ginny during the final parts of OotP - he just doesn't realise it. Throughout OotP, he becomes disenchanted with Cho, while starting to notice Ginny - he learns of her Quidditch ability, sees how good a witch she is, and watches as she helps him fight Death Eaters at the Ministry. He gains respect for her, and starts to see her in a different light - we are often told of his stunned reaction when he finds out these things, and he even dwells on Ginny's Quidditch performance whil lying in bed one night. All this happens over the course of ten months. Then he spends a summer with her at The Burrow, and now Cho is completely wiped from his mind, he begins to truly fall for her - we're given many hints about that. He just doesn't realise it for another two or three months, until he sees her kissing Dean. Then he has to wait another four or five months to get together with her. That's almost two years of build up - hardly sudden.
I agree, most fans saw the Harry/Ginny ship from the first book onward. For me, the build up could definitely be seen from Christmas OotP onward:
  • Ginny's the only one who'll look Harry in the eye, and confront him---Ron and Hermione are busy cringing from his temper.
  • Ginny comforts Harry at Easter, offers him chocolate, tells him talk to Cho, tells him Fred/George might be able to help him talk to Sirius---and Harry attributes his sudden lift in spirits to the chocolate.
  • Harry's upset Ginny won't be sitting with him on the train.
  • Harry doesn't want people---Ginny, Neville, Dean, Seamus---knowing about Malfoy and the broken nose incident, preferring them to think he'd been doing something 'daring'---rather like he'd wanted to impress Cho by sitting amongst cool people laughing at a joke he'd just told instead of covered in Stinksap.
  • First class with Slughorn, Harry smells Amortentia--which gives off the scent of things that attract people the most & for Harry that's Treacle Tart, the woody smell of a broomstick handle, and a floral scent he attributes to the Burrow---that same day we learn it's actually Ginny's perfume Harry'd smelled.
  • He was most definitely impressed by Ginny's Quidditch tryout, noting she'd outflown everyone and scored 17 goals.
  • He was a little upset that Ginny didn't accompany them to Hogsmeade.
  • He was a lot upset that he didn't see her in Hogsmeade, thinking she'd probably been holed up with Dean at Madam Puddifoot's.
  • "One of the reasons" he didn't want Dean as a Quidditch member was because of Seamus---he doesn't tell us what the 'other' reasons for not wanting Dean on the team are.
These are things which occurred over the course of a year---and then Harry see's Dean and Ginny snogging, and realizes "Duh" he's got feelings for Ginny. It's still another 5-6 months before he actually acts upon those feelings.

I don't see anything sudden in that build up....that's agonizingly slow actually.

Old November 3rd, 2006, 9:45 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwidgit View Post
I don't see anything sudden in that build up....that's agonizingly slow actually.
I think it's partly because people read these books very quickly on release - literally over the course of one or two days. If you read it like that, it does all happen very quickly. However, if you take your time, and are conscious of the fact that this book takes place over ten months, Harry and Ginny's romance is rather drawn-out (likely so that they only have a few weeks together - Harry can't have too much happiness, after all ).

Movie audiences will have less of a problem accepting it, as they're used to seeing characters like James Bond and Indiana Jones fall in love with new characters in each movie. Not that Ginny is new, but it will all take place in the one movie, rather than over several, as with Ron and Hermione.

Old November 3rd, 2006, 10:05 pm
Mouse

Quote:
I agree, most fans saw the Harry/Ginny ship from the first book onward. For me, the build up could definitely be seen from Christmas OotP onward:
For me the turning point for Ginny was her confrontation with Harry after his vision of the snake. When she tells him off for not coming to her, the only person he knows who HAS been posessed by Voldemort, I think he (and we) see her true character for the first time.

Old November 3rd, 2006, 10:14 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Ginny's the only one who'll look Harry in the eye, and confront him---Ron and Hermione are busy cringing from his temper.
Ginny comforts Harry at Easter, offers him chocolate, tells him talk to Cho, tells him Fred/George might be able to help him talk to Sirius---and Harry attributes his sudden lift in spirits to the chocolate.
Harry's upset Ginny won't be sitting with him on the train.
Harry doesn't want people---Ginny, Neville, Dean, Seamus---knowing about Malfoy and the broken nose incident, preferring them to think he'd been doing something 'daring'---rather like he'd wanted to impress Cho by sitting amongst cool people laughing at a joke he'd just told instead of covered in Stinksap.
First class with Slughorn, Harry smells Amortentia--which gives off the scent of things that attract people the most & for Harry that's Treacle Tart, the woody smell of a broomstick handle, and a floral scent he attributes to the Burrow---that same day we learn it's actually Ginny's perfume Harry'd smelled.
He was most definitely impressed by Ginny's Quidditch tryout, noting she'd outflown everyone and scored 17 goals.
He was a little upset that Ginny didn't accompany them to Hogsmeade.
He was a lot upset that he didn't see her in Hogsmeade, thinking she'd probably been holed up with Dean at Madam Puddifoot's.
"One of the reasons" he didn't want Dean as a Quidditch member was because of Seamus---he doesn't tell us what the 'other' reasons for not wanting Dean on the team are.
These are things which occurred over the course of a year---and then Harry see's Dean and Ginny snogging, and realizes "Duh" he's got feelings for Ginny. It's still another 5-6 months before he actually acts upon those feelings.

I agree. Most of us missed this on the first, hungry reading, but it was all staring us in the face on the reread. And I do like Ginny. I don't think she's ruder than most of the other characters, but perhaps it's more irritating in Ginny because it's unexpected after the first few years of shyness in front of Harry, and also because she's the youngest and a girl. When Ginny complains about people you notice her, but no one else was in raptures about Fleur either, and Hermione was seething with jealousy whenever Fleur came near Ron!

Old November 3rd, 2006, 10:29 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Any other character would be condmened for it.....but ginny? No, i'm obviously jsut jealous of her becuse she's a strong character. Ok, i get it now! I just don't find many of her actions acceptable. Sorry.
Hmm, to be honest, I think this thread and others like it prove that to be untrue. Ginny is judged far more harshly than Harry, or even sometimes Draco, for example. I don't really like judging any of the characters too harshly (even though I can't help myself with certain characters, I do try and reevaluate my opinions every time I do a reread), so maybe I'm being too oversensitive about it.

Quote:
I don't think there's much basis for that. Ginny would be swanning around with Romilda Vane if she felt like that, not befriending Luna and Neville. Plus, don't be so harsh on yourself You seem spiffy, IMO. Although tbh, I have to admit (I said it once in this thread already), if I knew Ginny in real life I'd probably dislike her. And it'd be my own problem, as opposed to something wrong with her. In the books I like her because she's bright, honest and sort of... natural. Normal, I mean. A tomboy with a fluffy side. I think she's a great match for Harry in that respect - yay Quidditch love!

Quote:
I wasn't very impressed with her constant smarmy comments and tripping up of ron, little things like that.
On the subject of Ron, their relationship is totally normal, from my perspective. I'm the Ron in my relationship with my sister (around 15 months older than her), and she hates me passionately at times, but can be awesome when she feels like it. It's probably the same with me With the violence... well, for one, wizards are a lot more resilient, and for another... the whole sibling deal. They were quite ready to hex each other in the scene where Ron almost calls her an incredibly bad word. Ron was just as willing to attack her physically, and I bet if Molly was there she would've just given them a sharp telling off and moved on to something else almost straight away. It's not that big a deal.

Move on, move on
No there's nothing changing
Old November 3rd, 2006, 10:36 pm
Mouse

Quote:
I'm not trying to offend you, it's just that I see her as quite unnecessarily rude at times, and I don't like it. Any other character would be condmened for it.....but ginny? No, i'm obviously jsut jealous of her becuse she's a strong character. Ok, i get it now! I just don't find many of her actions acceptable. Sorry.
No one says you have to love every character but if you're going to criticize a character we do ask that you back it up with canon.

So for instance you can say that you feel that Ginny overreacted when Ron caught her kissing Dean but you can't say that she's stupid or other generalizations.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies