Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies

Lord Voldemort aka Tom Marvolo Riddle: Character Analysis

Old December 7th, 2006, 11:22 pm
Second Year

Re: Lord Voldemort aka Tom Marvolo Riddle : Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapegirl77 View Post
I agree. If Snape returned to Voldemort the second he could have, his usefullness to Voldemort would be limited. Granted, he had many years worth of information already to give to Voldemort. It just makes more sense for Snape to wait, go back late and explain that he still could spy on Dumbledore after all these years. That's very useful to Voldemort.
It's still surprising that Voldermort trusts him so much. I don't think Snape argumented his loyalty to Voldermort, just words wouldn't do it. I always understood that he had to DO something to poove that he was still a faithfull DE.

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2006, 3:27 am
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrine View Post
It's still surprising that Voldermort trusts him so much. I don't think Snape argumented his loyalty to Voldermort, just words wouldn't do it. I always understood that he had to DO something to poove that he was still a faithfull DE.
What do you think Snape could have done?
When Voldemort returned, Snape was probably the most usefull Death Eater out of them all. He wasn't in jail and he had a very close relationship with Dumbledore. I think in his case, words could have done the job of gaining Voldemort's trust.
Voldemort realizes that every Death Eater serves a different purpose. In the past, Snape as been a behind the scenes type guy, not a front line of war one.

Old December 8th, 2006, 7:17 pm
Hogsmeade's Worst Icon Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrine View Post
I think that Voldemort has all his Death Eaters prove their worth by murdering someone of Voldemort's choice. Since Snape is a Death Eater, I would say the same would hold true for him.

Voldemort doesn't care who dies, his Death Eaters included, because it is okay in his mind since it is a means to his ends or just for his pleasure. I think murder to Voldemort is like some sort of high for him.

There is no canon to support this, it is just my personal thoughts.

Old December 8th, 2006, 7:42 pm
Fifth Year

He seems to know what each Death Eater wants and fears most, and uses those things to manipulate or punish them. I imagine he has a Dumbledore-like knowledge of what goes on (scary, no?) only his aims in life are a bit different from Dumbledore's, so his intelligence has different ways of manifesting itself.

I think Snape is comparably intelligent to both Dumbledore and Voldemort, only younger, with less life experience, and more socially inept. I imagine Snape is harder to manipulate than most because he doesn't have any obvious wants and fears for Voldemort to work with. Or if he does, he's pretty good at hiding them with Occlumency and whatnot.

I met J. K. Rowling!

She said you should read my fanfics:
Sirius Black and the Drapery of DoomThe Werewolf Prank (by capella_black and Arithmancer)
Regulus Kills Again (One-shot)Lily Evans and the Golden Lyre

Pottermore: CatSnitch Black walnut with phoenix feather core, eleven inches, unyielding
Old December 8th, 2006, 8:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by capella_black View Post
He seems to know what each Death Eater wants and fears most, and uses those things to manipulate or punish them. I imagine he has a Dumbledore-like knowledge of what goes on (scary, no?) only his aims in life are a bit different from Dumbledore's, so his intelligence has different ways of manifesting itself.

I think Snape is comparably intelligent to both Dumbledore and Voldemort, only younger, with less life experience, and more socially inept. I imagine Snape is harder to manipulate than most because he doesn't have any obvious wants and fears for Voldemort to work with. Or if he does, he's pretty good at hiding them with Occlumency and whatnot.
I agree with you that Voldemort is the Dumbledore of the dark side. I see them as polar oppsites in their wants in life: Dumbledore cares for others, Voldemort does not; Voldemort wants immortality, Dumbledore does not; Dumbledore avoids the Dark Arts, Voldemort thrives in them; etc. But yes, Voldemort is a master manipulator and I'm sure he uses his Death Eater's fears well.

I will have to disagree with you about Snape, but since this is a thread about Voldemort, I will not discuss it here (it would be a good discussion for Snape's thread).

Old December 12th, 2006, 11:00 am
Second Year

I've seen Voldemort compared to Darth Vader, Palpatine, Sauron, Orochimaru, etc., but here's another one: Voldemort vs. Magneto. This does paint him in a more sympathetic light, as it suggests his aims are fear for the future of wizardkind. Could his hatred of Muggles and half-bloods be related to the persecution that wizards have suffered at the hands of Muggles throughout the centuries? Rowling mentioned the torture and executions for practicing witchcraft that have occurred, hence the decision for the wizarding world to stay hidden. Perhaps Voldemort sees Muggles as evil oppressors and murderers, and fears and despises them for this history. He could represent the views of Magneto, who would call for enslavement and/or destruction of those who posed a danger to them, whereas someone like Dumbledore would represent Professor Xavier, who, while agreeing that the worlds should be kept separate, would be more open to communication with the Muggle world and negotiations so that they may coexist peacefully.

Old December 12th, 2006, 2:10 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanover_Fist View Post
I've seen Voldemort compared to Darth Vader, Palpatine, Sauron, Orochimaru, etc., but here's another one: Voldemort vs. Magneto. This does paint him in a more sympathetic light, as it suggests his aims are fear for the future of wizardkind. Could his hatred of Muggles and half-bloods be related to the persecution that wizards have suffered at the hands of Muggles throughout the centuries? Rowling mentioned the torture and executions for practicing witchcraft that have occurred, hence the decision for the wizarding world to stay hidden. Perhaps Voldemort sees Muggles as evil oppressors and murderers, and fears and despises them for this history. He could represent the views of Magneto, who would call for enslavement and/or destruction of those who posed a danger to them, whereas someone like Dumbledore would represent Professor Xavier, who, while agreeing that the worlds should be kept separate, would be more open to communication with the Muggle world and negotiations so that they may coexist peacefully.
That's an interesting comparision. Do you have a link to that quote you mentioned about JKR talking about wizards hidding from muggles because of torture? I never heard that before.
I think in the HP books and in real life, the poor people who were killed for practicing witchcraft really weren't witches, they were just outcasts and weirdos.

Old December 16th, 2006, 12:18 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapegirl77 View Post
I think in the HP books and in real life, the poor people who were killed for practicing witchcraft really weren't witches, they were just outcasts and weirdos.
Well, there are no wizards is real life
Now, in the Harry potter world, how could muggles catch wizards to torture them? They could just apparate away, no harm done.

Maybe you would like to check out this thread: http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=98674

Old December 16th, 2006, 1:07 pm
Fourth Year

I doubt Voldemort is genuinely motivated by a concern for wizard-kind. That might make good propaganda, but I feel he's driven primarily by his hatred of non-Purebloods and his lust for power.

Old December 19th, 2006, 6:58 pm
Second Year

I agree with you, Xenophanes. He is incapable of feeling compassion for anyone, what he does is for himself, not for the wizarding community.

I think Voldemort definitely deserves to be chosen the best villain and here’s why. He's not human. And it might sound stupid, because we have seen a lot of villains who are monsters, strange unknown creatures, but what’s special about Voldemort is that he was born human, and his hatred and evil made him less and less human. To see that someone can hate to the point of killing millions and millions of people because of what they were born is not as surprising to me as the fact that this hate turned him into a "creature".

Old December 19th, 2006, 7:38 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuddles View Post
I agree with you, Xenophanes. He is incapable of feeling compassion for anyone, what he does is for himself, not for the wizarding community.

I think Voldemort definitely deserves to be chosen the best villain and here’s why. He's not human. And it might sound stupid, because we have seen a lot of villains who are monsters, strange unknown creatures, but what’s special about Voldemort is that he was born human, and his hatred and evil made him less and less human. To see that someone can hate to the point of killing millions and millions of people because of what they were born is not as surprising to me as the fact that this hate turned him into a "creature".
Possibly the mirrors at Riddle House are filthy, so he can't see what he looks like.

But seriously, Voldemort probably sees himself as the new and improved version, stronger, with more concentrated evilness. This would make him more fit than anyone to remake the world according to his own vision.

Except I don't think he really has a vision of anything except himself, living forever, doing whatever he wants. It sounds like the vision of an angry toddler, doesn't it? Like the abandoned tyke, left alone in the orphanage and never loved, is venting his rage on the world.

I think I just had a flash of feeling sorry for Voldy. Yikes!

Old December 19th, 2006, 8:09 pm
Second Year

Well if you think about it, you kinda feel sorry for him. Look at him, poor person thinking that by being what he is and doing what he does, he is better. He can't really see that he's just worse than before.

It is hard to judge him if you think about his past: his father abandoned his mother, his mother died and he was raised in an orphanage, he lacked love, comprehension, and other essential thing family is supposed to give you. Poor fella, can't really blame him for turning this way.

Old December 20th, 2006, 12:31 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
I doubt Voldemort is genuinely motivated by a concern for wizard-kind. That might make good propaganda, but I feel he's driven primarily by his hatred of non-Purebloods and his lust for power.
Agreed. Voldemort is out to glorify himself. He is seeking power for himself. He wants to have ultimate power and immortality so he can rule. He's only out for the good of wizard kind so far as they follow his plans and obey his rules. Its either his way or death.

I wonder though what happen if hypothetically he won the war? Does anyone think Voldemort would necessarily share his powers? I think there are those select few who really agree with Voldemort's ideas because all they see is power and a chance to maintain their way of life. Pure bloods in charge and an end to muggles. Than you have the despised races like werewolves and giants who seem quick to join his side. What will happen when its all over? Will purebloods be so accomadating or will they follow the whole concept of the ënemy of my enemy is my friend? I guess the pureblods figure races like the werewolves are okay as long as they kill of as many muggles as possible? Still can Voldemort keep the werewolves in check? There is the possibility that one day they could gain too much power if they turn too many humans. There is also the fact that if the muggles were eliminated than the wizards would most likely die out and become completely demented by inbreeding. For example the Gaunt family. My point is Voldemort's plan is severely flawed. It just could never work.

Still I wonder though why Voldemort turned out the way he did. Yes we say its about choice because Harry was raised in circumstances just a level better than Riddle's and turned out to be pretty decent. Riddle believed he had no family before he went to Hogwarts. Atleast Harry had some teeny bit of love in his house. His Aunt took him in and blood counts for something. She could have thrown him out but chose to keep him. Riddle grew up in an orphanage which is no easy life. No parents, feeling unwanted, unloved, having to fend for himself, carve out a place for himself. He had to mark his territory agains the other orphans. Yet I wonder if Riddle would have turned out any different had he grown up with a loving family? Some will say yes but is it really that simple? Then again Riddle probably would have turned out totally different . Hhe might have chosen a nobler path in life rather than beign hell bend on immortality.

I think those early years in the Orphanage couples with his strong magical ability ability at an early age are what screwed him for life. He didn't really have any role models or teachers to teach him right from wrong. He knew he had power and that it made him stronger than everyone else around him. It gave him a false sense of superiority. It was a way for him to make a name for himself and he didn't have anyone to check him until DD came. When you are an orphan you spend your whole life trying to find or make a family for yourself. Family becomes extremely important to you and I think with Riddle he needed to find out about his family and his name. When he realized who he was desended from it made him feel as though he were entitled to certain rights on merit of his heritage and his dark gifts.

I also think that Merope's magic affected her unborn child in a way. Merope used magic to keep Tom Riddle tied to her. Tom Riddle didn't love Merope. His love was consequence of a spell. The love was very once sided if not non exsistant. The union between Riddle's parents was not out of love. It was all false hocus pocus. I think their love less union might have twisted Riddle in some way in the womb. They always say how perceptive unborn babies are. That's why mothers are always lisetening to classical music, reading to the baby, trying to show as much love as possible to their unborn child. Maybe the reason for Riddle's behavior is the cause of some sort of deeper and more powerful magic in the way that Lily's love saved Harry. Perhaps Merope's lack of love condemned Riddle Jr. She didn't love her son enough to live for him.

"Mr. Moony presents his compliments to Professor Snape, and begs him to keep his abnormally large nose out of other people's business."

"Mr. Prongs agrees with Mr. Moony, and would like to add that Professor Snape is an ugly git."
"Mr. Padfoot would like to register his astonishment that an idiot like that ever became a professor."

"Mr. Wormtail bids Professor Snape good day, and advises him to wash his hair, the slimeball."

Last edited by Discordia; December 20th, 2006 at 12:33 am.
Old December 20th, 2006, 1:55 am
Second Year

Quote:
I think those early years in the Orphanage couples with his strong magical ability ability at an early age are what screwed him for life. He didn't really have any role models or teachers to teach him right from wrong. He knew he had power and that it made him stronger than everyone else around him. It gave him a false sense of superiority. It was a way for him to make a name for himself and he didn't have anyone to check him until DD came. When you are an orphan you spend your whole life trying to find or make a family for yourself. Family becomes extremely important to you and I think with Riddle he needed to find out about his family and his name. When he realized who he was desended from it made him feel as though he were entitled to certain rights on merit of his heritage and his dark gifts.
I totally agree with you on this. Being an orphan, he lacked of many things that a family gives a child. He had to do things on his own, as he admitted in HBP, and had some control over his powers, which made him feel different, more powerful.

But I stick to my previous theory: you can't really blame him for turning out this bad. He had no family, and a deep desire to stand out from the crowd, to be unique and different. Learning that his father left his mother and him probably was the beggining of his muggle hate, and being sorted into a House where all that matters is your blood didn't help much either.

A part of me really feels sorry for him. He grew up all alone, no father or mother. It's hard.

Old December 20th, 2006, 2:27 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuddles View Post

But I stick to my previous theory: you can't really blame him for turning out this bad. He had no family, and a deep desire to stand out from the crowd, to be unique and different. Learning that his father left his mother and him probably was the beggining of his muggle hate, and being sorted into a House where all that matters is your blood didn't help much either.

A part of me really feels sorry for him. He grew up all alone, no father or mother. It's hard.
It is hard and in some ways you really can't blame him for how he turned out. If you were forced to grow up with out parents or any guidance you'd end up making a lot of decisions for self preserverance too. Its not like Riddle had anyone to depend on or to impress. He had to how his worth to the world and he had to do it on his own. He made decisions that most would never have made but its not like he had anyone growing up to teach him the ways of the world. Riddle had to learn on his own and make up his own rules. When all you have to look out for is yourself you tend to not give a damn about anyone else.

"Mr. Moony presents his compliments to Professor Snape, and begs him to keep his abnormally large nose out of other people's business."

"Mr. Prongs agrees with Mr. Moony, and would like to add that Professor Snape is an ugly git."
"Mr. Padfoot would like to register his astonishment that an idiot like that ever became a professor."

"Mr. Wormtail bids Professor Snape good day, and advises him to wash his hair, the slimeball."
Old December 20th, 2006, 8:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discordia View Post
It is hard and in some ways you really can't blame him for how he turned out. If you were forced to grow up with out parents or any guidance you'd end up making a lot of decisions for self preserverance too. Its not like Riddle had anyone to depend on or to impress. He had to how his worth to the world and he had to do it on his own. He made decisions that most would never have made but its not like he had anyone growing up to teach him the ways of the world. Riddle had to learn on his own and make up his own rules. When all you have to look out for is yourself you tend to not give a damn about anyone else.
This makes me wonder if he even knows right from wrong. I mean, you would think that everyone knows murder is wrong, but there are cases where the murderer (especially in the cases of mass murderers) where it seems that the murderer doesn't think what he/she did was wrong. Maybe I think that because there is no remorse. Obviously Voldemort has no remorse for ANY of his actions. But does that mean we should feel sorry for him because of the way he grew up?

I guess I feel sorry for the child because the child missed out on love. But, at which point do we say that he has to be responsible for his own actions regardless of his upbringing? I can't say that I feel sorry for him now. I'm not sure where the line should be drawn, but the point where he killed his father and paternal grandparents does come to mind. He has to have the knowledge that murder is wrong in society, but I don't think he thinks it is wrong (and that doesn't make his actions okay, either).

Old December 20th, 2006, 8:32 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
I guess I feel sorry for the child because the child missed out on love. But, at which point do we say that he has to be responsible for his own actions regardless of his upbringing? I can't say that I feel sorry for him now. I'm not sure where the line should be drawn, but the point where he killed his father and paternal grandparents does come to mind. He has to have the knowledge that murder is wrong in society, but I don't think he thinks it is wrong (and that doesn't make his actions okay, either).
I think it goes back to book 1 when Voldemort first confronts Harry. There was one line that I think pretty much set the standards for his moral view points for the entire series from the beginning: "There is no good and evil, only power and those too weak to seek it." Voldemort doesn't see what he's doing as wrong. He's doing it for himself and for power. If the ends acieve the means and let the devil take the hindmost. People the rest of the world regards as evil or insane don't see their actions as wrong. When Hitler caused the haulocaust he 'believed he was doing it for the better of his people. Kim Jong Il in North Korea opresses his people and keeps them from knowing about the outside world but he thinks he's all knowing so he's right. Voldemort has always done what he wanted and disregarded any morality. Good and evil aren't an issue with him. All he cares about is himself and power. I guess the reason he's like that is because he has never had anyone to care about or had anyone who cared about him.

Old December 20th, 2006, 11:03 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

But aren't there a few people who would do evil no matter how many privileges and gifts they've had bestowed on them?

Voldemort certainly seems to enjoy causing suffering. He Crucios his follwers when they diappoint him. Even as a child in the orphanage he abused younger kids and killed a pet rabbit. People who torture and kill animals in their childhood have severe problems, and often go on to commit vicious crimes among their fellow humans. Certainly by the time he was eleven and we see Dumbledore go to see him in the orphanage he was a scary person.

Old December 21st, 2006, 8:12 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discordia View Post
I also think that Merope's magic affected her unborn child in a way. Merope used magic to keep Tom Riddle tied to her. Tom Riddle didn't love Merope. His love was consequence of a spell. The love was very once sided if not non exsistant. The union between Riddle's parents was not out of love. It was all false hocus pocus. I think their love less union might have twisted Riddle in some way in the womb. They always say how perceptive unborn babies are. That's why mothers are always lisetening to classical music, reading to the baby, trying to show as much love as possible to their unborn child. Maybe the reason for Riddle's behavior is the cause of some sort of deeper and more powerful magic in the way that Lily's love saved Harry. Perhaps Merope's lack of love condemned Riddle Jr. She didn't love her son enough to live for him.
To me, it's signifigant that Merope stopped giving Riddle Sr the potion. This was a brave and unselfish choice for an abused girl who wanted so desperately to be loved. Unlike her future son, she relinquished control and risked everything for true love. I don't think she was incapable of loving her son, only that his birth coincided with her heartbreak over Tom Sr.

It's also interesting that Harry knows more about Voldemort's past than Voldemort himself. I'm very curious about what JKR does with Riddle/Voldemort in book 7. If she continues along the lines of HBP, then we might see the depth of character that would transcend the stereotypical villain.

Old December 22nd, 2006, 3:09 pm
Second Year

I agree with you, it was an act of bravery and love to stop giving Tom Sr. the potion. This reinforces my theory that, had Tom Jr. grown up with a parent, maybe he wouldn't have turned out his bad. Merope proves to be a nice person after all, despite all the abuse she had to take from her father. All Tom he needed was a little love and compassion.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies