Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies

Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis



 
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old November 2nd, 2006, 6:48 pm
gertiekeddle's Avatar
gertiekeddle  Female.gif gertiekeddle is offline
Eldest Gruff
 
Joined: 5105 days
Location: Öelda, et sinust ma hoolin
Age: 42
Posts: 5,235
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
Is Bellatrix the only female Death Eater? I can't think of another as Narcissa doesn't seem to be and all the others that have been mentioned are men.
I forgot the name , but there were woman on the Astronomy Tower that night, too. But I think you're right nonetheless. She seems to be very close to the top in the Death Eater hierachy. For me that fits a bit to the Death Eaters as an old fashioned group, so it makes her even more special.


__________________
(Avatar by Alfonzo)


I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Sponsored Links
  #42  
Old November 2nd, 2006, 9:20 pm
Kharina Kharina is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4702 days
Posts: 245
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
Something may have happened to make Bellatrix the monster she is, but she could just have been born psychotic. A bit like Voldemort really...
I don't think anyone is born psychotic. Not even Voldemort, or Hitler, or anyone like that. I think a variety of complicated factors makes them this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
T

Bella grew up with a Dark Wizarding family, and while they may have had family feeling between themselves, they also inherited a sense of superiority, cruelty to House Elves, and in some cases, fanaticism about the whole pureblood racist thingy. Sirius Black's mother - also a Black descendent - was a fanatic, too, so Bella isn't that unusual.
Although that sort of fierce loyalty and fanaticism may be a Black family trait, the rest of the Black family, with the possible exception of Narcissa, are not major Death Eaters. Regulus was a Death Eater but left when he saw what horrible things he would have to do. Sirius and Andromeda obviously aren't even supporters of Voldemort's cause let alone his means. Sirius' parents supported Voldemort's cause, but there is no evidence to suggest they were actually Death Eaters, or particularly liked him or his ideas- in fact there are many suggestions to the contrary. So it's not all her family. I don't think she's been raised to be like she is from birth, except for her pureblood fanaticism, which is almost certainly drilled into her from an early age.


  #43  
Old November 2nd, 2006, 9:38 pm
snapegirl's Avatar
snapegirl  Female.gif snapegirl is offline
Dr Mrs The Monarch
 
Joined: 5103 days
Location: Spinner's End
Age: 42
Posts: 1,861
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
Is Bellatrix the only female Death Eater? I can't think of another as Narcissa doesn't seem to be and all the others that have been mentioned are men.

This makes her quite exceptional: a woman in a man's world. And a very successful one too. She is obviously high up in the hierarchy.

Why has she fallen from favour with Voldemort? I'm wondering whether the level of her insanity post-Azkaban made her too much of a liability.
No there is the brother and sister Death Eaters from the Tower in HBP. So by that count, that makes two, I believe.
I think she fallen out of favor because of the Ministry failure. That's why she tried to place the blame on Lucius.


  #44  
Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:45 pm
capella_black's Avatar
capella_black  Female.gif capella_black is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4765 days
Age: 36
Posts: 793
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

The other woman's name is Alecto.

And I continue to insist there's nothing odd about Bella's attitude toward Draco at Spinner's End. At least, nothing odder than any patriotic woman being proud to see her nephew (or hypothetical sons) join the army to fight for their country.

cb


__________________


I met J. K. Rowling!



She said you should read my fanfics:
Sirius Black and the Drapery of DoomThe Werewolf Prank (by capella_black and Arithmancer)
Regulus Kills Again (One-shot)Lily Evans and the Golden Lyre

Pottermore: CatSnitch Black walnut with phoenix feather core, eleven inches, unyielding
  #45  
Old November 3rd, 2006, 1:32 am
horcrux4's Avatar
horcrux4  Female.gif horcrux4 is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4984 days
Location: Sheffield UK
Age: 73
Posts: 2,167
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by capella_black View Post
The other woman's name is Alecto.

And I continue to insist there's nothing odd about Bella's attitude toward Draco at Spinner's End. At least, nothing odder than any patriotic woman being proud to see her nephew (or hypothetical sons) join the army to fight for their country.

cb
I do see your point about fighting for your country but I'm surprised Bella doesn't show more sympathy to her sister at having her son put on the line. Quite a lot of people speak very strongly of things they have no experience of which is irritating to those who do know what they're talking about. Bella seems to have neither sympathy nor empathy which probably explains why she's so good at torturing.

I'd forgotten about Alecto being a Death Eater - probably because she didn't get mentioned in the graveyard in GoF. But then neither did Amycus or Greyback, or the one who got killed.

Reverting back to why Bella was out of favour, I don't think it can just be the MoM fiasco. After all, Voldemort did rescue her which he didn't do for the others. And there were a lot of DEs involved there. If they are out of favour then Voldemort doesn't have many senior DEs left to rely on.


__________________
Meet Mickey, my new kitten!
Quote:
"From this time forth we shall be leaving the firm foundation of fact and journeying together through the murky marshes of memory into thickets of wildest guesswork."
Albus Dumbledore, HBP
  #46  
Old November 3rd, 2006, 4:23 am
capella_black's Avatar
capella_black  Female.gif capella_black is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 4765 days
Age: 36
Posts: 793
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
I do see your point about fighting for your country but I'm surprised Bella doesn't show more sympathy to her sister at having her son put on the line. Quite a lot of people speak very strongly of things they have no experience of which is irritating to those who do know what they're talking about. Bella seems to have neither sympathy nor empathy which probably explains why she's so good at torturing.
I'd be rather surprised if Bella did show any more sympathy for her sister, it would be very out of character. She stood before the Wizengamot and proudly declared her allegience to the Dark Lord, she spent 14 years in Azkaban for it. Now her nephew gets an important assignment, a sign of favor she would likely have been delighted to get herself, and her baby sister goes howling to some greaseball of dubious allegiance in a Muggle dunghill, trying to weasel out.

If she were really as cruel as Voldemort, she would have stopped Cissy by force without a second thought. She didn't, and later she even consented to bond the Vow.

cb


__________________


I met J. K. Rowling!



She said you should read my fanfics:
Sirius Black and the Drapery of DoomThe Werewolf Prank (by capella_black and Arithmancer)
Regulus Kills Again (One-shot)Lily Evans and the Golden Lyre

Pottermore: CatSnitch Black walnut with phoenix feather core, eleven inches, unyielding
  #47  
Old November 3rd, 2006, 4:52 am
arithmancer's Avatar
arithmancer  Undisclosed.gif arithmancer is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5099 days
Location: The Hogwarts Boathouse
Posts: 7,938
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by capella_black View Post
If she were really as cruel as Voldemort, she would have stopped Cissy by force without a second thought. She didn't, and later she even consented to bond the Vow.
I was struck by this part of her conversation with Cissy in HBP:
Spinner's End
"Let go, Bella!" snarled Narcissa, and she drew a wand from beneath her cloak, holding 8it threateningly in the other's face. Bella merely laughed.
"Cissy, your own sister? You wouldn't-"

Bella is not a nice person, but I find her very straightforward. She says what she means most of the time. Which suggests to me she is shocked at the idea of hexing her sister, with whom she has a good relationship. (I suspect her sister the blood traitor might be another matter.) And, of course, after Cissy does hex her and continues on, Bella follows, and does not take her out from behind, as you say.

Regarding Draco, she may be unfeeling about the danger he is in, but she is certainly not unhelpful. She teaches him Occlumency (I assume that if Snape's guess had been wrong, Draco would have said so). I suspect she also did some teaching about the Unforgivable Curses-Draco may have used Imperius, tried to use Crucio, and logically would need to have used Avada Kedavra to complete his mission, had he chosen to do so. Auntie Bella seems the most likely source of this training.


__________________
The Sorting Hat says I belong in Slytherin.



“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.


Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
  #48  
Old November 3rd, 2006, 4:53 am
silver ink pot's Avatar
silver ink pot  Female.gif silver ink pot is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5826 days
Location: Shining Snape's Halo
Age: 58
Posts: 9,778
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

I just can't see Bella in any way except as a fanatic in a terrorist organization, or like a cult follower. She's willing to sacrifice a 16 year-old boy to her "cause," knowing that he might be killed if he fails, knowing that Voldemort wants him to commit murder, and knowing that at the least, he will be Crucio'd on a regular basis at the whim of Voldemort. That's sick, in my opinion. It would be sick no matter what child it was, but the fact that it is her own nephew is even more sick.

Yes, she's patriotic to her cause, but that doesn't change her status as a torturer who drove innocent people to insanity. In HBP, it says this:

"Neville's childhood had been blighted by Voldemort just as much as Harry's had." (Chapter 7, HBP)

Voldemort didn't attack Neville as his "Chosen One," but his followers "blighted him." That's another way of saying his childhood was "stunted" in many ways, and that rests on the person who tortured his parents - Bella Lestrange.


__________________


"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie


Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
  #49  
Old November 3rd, 2006, 3:37 pm
Grimmodr  Undisclosed.gif Grimmodr is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4652 days
Location: Caithness Scotland
Age: 52
Posts: 59
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Is it possible to suggest that somewhere along the line Bellatrix was tortured herself? maybe prior to her marriage, maybe they needed a female deatheater and she was chosen for this very purpose, is this possible in the story or am I missing the point please help.


  #50  
Old November 3rd, 2006, 3:52 pm
lorna  Female.gif lorna is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 6017 days
Location: canada
Age: 64
Posts: 1,369
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

I see Bella as the Magda Gobbels (wife of propaganda minister under Adolf Hitler for anyone who doesn't know) of the series. That woman poisioned all her kids when it became apparent Germany was loosing the war. Listening to Bella beak off about how Narcissa should be proud that her sixteen year old son was placing himself in peril for Voldemort, I just got this mental picture of Magda.
I have no sympathy with Bella and her histronics. Personally I hope she ends up a ghost going through eternity sharing the U bend with Mrytle.


__________________
Proud member of the S.S.A.S
  #51  
Old November 3rd, 2006, 5:27 pm
arithmancer's Avatar
arithmancer  Undisclosed.gif arithmancer is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5099 days
Location: The Hogwarts Boathouse
Posts: 7,938
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Bellatrix Lestrange and Barty Crouch, Jr. share some important characteristics. Both are fanatically loyal to Voldemort, to a degree above and beyond that we see in some others. Both are responsible for the hideous crime of torturing the Longbottoms into insanity. Both display their sadistic enjoyment of others' pain onpage. In fact, both choose Neville Longbottom as a target of their sadism, Crouch, Jr. as "Moody" when he enjoys Neville's distress at his demonstration of the Cruciatus Curse, Bella in the raid on the Ministry, when she is shown as delighted with the opportunity to Crucio him.

To me, however, this does not render them interchangeable and only worthy of discussion in these terms. I see a difference in their family relationships, for example. Barty must once have loved his father, I think, for his twisted hatred of him at the time of GoF to be as intense as we saw (leading to his eventual murder of his father), but not any time in recent memory.

Bellatrix, on the other hand, does seem to have some family feeling for her sister. That Narcissa would turn her back on an angry Bellatrix after hexing her speaks volumes, in my opinion (as does the fact that she is right to trust nothing will happen). And despite Bella's fanatical statement about sacrificing sons to the Dark Lord's cause, she does not want Draco to die, or be punished by Voldemort. At the least, she provides him with the training that may help him to succeed, and assists in securing some potentially very able help and protection for him, by agreeing to bond Snape's Vow.

This is more speculative, but I would not be surprised if it turned out that she was part of the 'better' outside help Draco referred to in his conversation with Snape that Harry overheard. Yes, she wants Draco to succeed, because it is the desire of the Dark Lord. But she would, I think, prefer it if Draco also survived, and was honored along with her for his success.

In other words, I believe that Bella recognizes a hierarchy. Above all, she worships the Dark Lord. Next, she wishes to please him and be recognized as his favorite. But below that, she would see those among her family and friends that she believes share her values also enjoy success and happiness. And then there is everyone else. I do not believe she would derive sadistic pleassure from seeing one of them suffer, or that she would abuse her own (hypothetical) child with the same glee she does Neville. Not that I think she would make a good mother, it takes more than merely avoiding the sadistic torture of one's kids to achieve that.


__________________
The Sorting Hat says I belong in Slytherin.



“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.


Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
  #52  
Old November 3rd, 2006, 7:47 pm
silver ink pot's Avatar
silver ink pot  Female.gif silver ink pot is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5826 days
Location: Shining Snape's Halo
Age: 58
Posts: 9,778
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Zgirnius: Good points all around, especially about Narcissa turning her back on Bellatrix - she does trust her up to a point, I'll grant you that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmodr
Is it possible to suggest that somewhere along the line Bellatrix was tortured herself? maybe prior to her marriage, maybe they needed a female deatheater and she was chosen for this very purpose, is this possible in the story or am I missing the point please help.
I think it's likely that every Death Eater has been tortured one way or another. Not only are they followers, but they are there to "amuse" the Dark Lord. He describes them as his "family" in GoF when the DEs start arriving in the graveyard - but that's more like the "family" of psychopath Charles Manson, the crazed killer who had control over his followers.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lorna
I see Bella as the Magda Gobbels (wife of propaganda minister under Adolf Hitler for anyone who doesn't know) of the series. That woman poisioned all her kids when it became apparent Germany was loosing the war. Listening to Bella beak off about how Narcissa should be proud that her sixteen year old son was placing himself in peril for Voldemort, I just got this mental picture of Magda.
I've read about that - it's so chilling! You just think, How could they? That's the opposite of a Lily Potter for sure.


__________________


"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie


Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
  #53  
Old November 3rd, 2006, 8:57 pm
Kharina Kharina is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4702 days
Posts: 245
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
I just can't see Bella in any way except as a fanatic in a terrorist organization, or like a cult follower. She's willing to sacrifice a 16 year-old boy to her "cause," knowing that he might be killed if he fails, knowing that Voldemort wants him to commit murder, and knowing that at the least, he will be Crucio'd on a regular basis at the whim of Voldemort. That's sick, in my opinion. It would be sick no matter what child it was, but the fact that it is her own nephew is even more sick.

Yes, she's patriotic to her cause, but that doesn't change her status as a torturer who drove innocent people to insanity. In HBP, it says this:

"Neville's childhood had been blighted by Voldemort just as much as Harry's had." (Chapter 7, HBP)

Voldemort didn't attack Neville as his "Chosen One," but his followers "blighted him." That's another way of saying his childhood was "stunted" in many ways, and that rests on the person who tortured his parents - Bella Lestrange.
It does, but let's not forget it doesn't rest on her alone- you make it sound like it does. There were at least another three people who tortured the Longbottoms: Rodolphus Lestrange, Rabastan Lestrange and Barty Crouch Jr. There could have been more who didn't get caught, or managed to get off on an Imperius defence or something.

Although what Bellatrix did to the Longbottoms was very wrong and very evil, there is possible evidence that she herself isn't completely evil, and to her there are some good reasons for doing what she did. I try to look at the good side of Bellatrix, because it isn't the viewpoint we get shown from the books- understandably, as Bellatrix killed Harry's godfather- I'd hate her, too, if I was in Harry's place.

Spinner's End is one of the few chapters throughout the whole series that we do not see from Harry's point of view- some others being "The Other Minister" and the beginning of Philosopher's Stone. Even "The Other Minister" we see through someone else's point of view- Spinner's End doesn't seem to have any personal slant at all- we just see the characters' actions and not what they are thinking or feeling. I think that all the characters we see there appear to better advantage to not being seen through Harry's point of view. Snape shows his sympathetic side by agreeing to help Narcissa, Narcissa shows her love for her son, and I at least feel a bit of pity for Wormtail, having to act as Snape's servant. With Bellatrix it is less obvious, but, as others have mentioned, she never stops Narcissa by force, even when Narcissa hexes her, although she does have her wand. She could easily have done so- does anyone think Narcissa would beat Bellatrix in a duel, considering that Bellatrix fought her way past three members of the Order of the Phoenix and successfully escaped, when none of the other Death Eaters did? And she bonds the Unbreakable Vow, something she could quite easily have refused. Despite the fact that Voldemort clearly has forbidden them to speak of the plan to anyone and would certainly not approve of this, and Bellatrix is out of favour at the moment anyway. Why would she do this, if not out of some feelings for her sister and/or her nephew?

Of course this doesn't cancel out all the bad things Bellatrix has done, or even come anywhere near that. What it does show is that she still has some humanity left, which to me makes her a better character: very few people, if any, in real life are completely evil.


  #54  
Old November 3rd, 2006, 10:56 pm
arithmancer's Avatar
arithmancer  Undisclosed.gif arithmancer is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5099 days
Location: The Hogwarts Boathouse
Posts: 7,938
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharina View Post
Of course this doesn't cancel out all the bad things Bellatrix has done, or even come anywhere near that. What it does show is that she still has some humanity left, which to me makes her a better character: very few people, if any, in real life are completely evil.
I agree, Kharina. In the Potterverse, I think there is only one character who has never experienced, and is now completely incapable of, any positive human feelings, and that's Voldemort.


__________________
The Sorting Hat says I belong in Slytherin.



“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.


Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
  #55  
Old November 4th, 2006, 2:06 am
silver ink pot's Avatar
silver ink pot  Female.gif silver ink pot is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5826 days
Location: Shining Snape's Halo
Age: 58
Posts: 9,778
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharina
It does, but let's not forget it doesn't rest on her alone- you make it sound like it does. There were at least another three people who tortured the Longbottoms: Rodolphus Lestrange, Rabastan Lestrange and Barty Crouch Jr. There could have been more who didn't get caught, or managed to get off on an Imperius defence or something.

Although what Bellatrix did to the Longbottoms was very wrong and very evil, there is possible evidence that she herself isn't completely evil, and to her there are some good reasons for doing what she did. I try to look at the good side of Bellatrix, because it isn't the viewpoint we get shown from the books- understandably, as Bellatrix killed Harry's godfather- I'd hate her, too, if I was in Harry's place.
The furthest I'll go is that Bella was perhaps loved by her own parents at one time, and therefore, may know what love is. However, love without mercy isn't really very noble or worthy. Snape showed mercy on Narcissa, which is more than Bella did. If Bella wasn't so twisted, Narcissa wouldn't have to ask someone else to help her protect her only son. Obviously Bella isn't "free" to do what she wants, but that seems to be her choice - and we know in the canon that choice is everything.

I agree that perhaps Bella doesn't bear all the blame for what happened to the Longbottoms. You are right, Kharina, that she didn't act alone. However, she is the only one who speaks out for Voldemort at her trial, which Harry sees in the Pensieve in GoF. She shows no remorse whatsoever, and in fact, is defiant.

Perhaps if we knew more about her husband, brother-in-law, and Barty Crouch (who denied involvement at the time), then we could judge. But based on what we have, and Bella's own words, I would say she wasn't sorry at all for torturing the Longbottoms.

GoF, Chapter 30. . . the woman with heavy-lidded eyes looked up at Crouch and called, "The Dark Lord will rise again, Crouch! Throw us into Azkaban; we will wait! He will rise again and will come for us, he will reward us beyond any of his supporters! We alone are faithful! We alone tried to find him!"


__________________


"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie


Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
  #56  
Old November 4th, 2006, 2:11 am
alwaysme's Avatar
alwaysme  Female.gif alwaysme is offline
Queen of Apathy
 
Joined: 4809 days
Posts: 3,325
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenielou View Post
1. Bellatrix is often seen as the most fanatical of Voldemort's supporters. Why do you think it is that she has devoted her life and efforts so wholly to Voldemort? What influences in her family and life could have led to her becoming one of the most feared Death Eaters? Could she have any romantic feelings for Voldemort?
I think the need for power fuels Bella to be a dominant death eater. Living in a family of pureblood racist just helped to push her even further down this path.
I think Bella does feel some sort of attachment to Voldemort. I do not believe she would ever show her true feelings for him though.


Quote:
2. What do you suppose leads Bellatrix to distrust Snape so, as seen in the HBP chapter 'Spinner's End'? Does this cast any doubts upon her complete trust in Voldemort? Does it speak of any prior relationship with Snape?
I think Bella has good reason for distrusting Snape obviously because I am of the belief that he is good. I think Bella just believes Voldmeort is mistaken in Snape but IMO I think Voldemort is skeptical of Snape too.

Quote:
3. What kind of relationship do you think that Bellatrix had with her cousin, Sirius, for her to so easily battle against, and ultimately have a hand in killing him?
I think Bella believes Sirius was a fool to rebel the way he did. I don't believe that they had much of a relationship at all.

Quote:
5. Bellatrix seems to have a fondness for the Cruciatus curse. What do you think that this says about her personality and history?
I think it shows how heartless and vile Bella is. She makes a great villain.

Quote:
6. What role do you see Bellatrix playing in book seven? Will she finally get her come-uppance for her crimes, and if so, who will dish this out?
I hope Neville will get his opportunity to face Bella.


  #57  
Old November 4th, 2006, 1:59 pm
Grimmodr  Undisclosed.gif Grimmodr is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4652 days
Location: Caithness Scotland
Age: 52
Posts: 59
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

So to Elaborate that Voldemorts followers are tortured, is it possible to suggest that this is inflicted so that followers of LV will always obey. A method of keeping order, so that his followers cannot go back to how they were before joining LV. So in affect their thoughts and mind are twisted to be able to carry out his deeds of torture and such like, with Bella this would have appeared to have worked has her loyalty to LV is flawless and fanatical.


  #58  
Old November 4th, 2006, 4:59 pm
lafemmenissa  Female.gif lafemmenissa is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4908 days
Location: Santa Fe
Age: 37
Posts: 81
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmodr View Post
So to Elaborate that Voldemorts followers are tortured, is it possible to suggest that this is inflicted so that followers of LV will always obey. A method of keeping order, so that his followers cannot go back to how they were before joining LV. So in affect their thoughts and mind are twisted to be able to carry out his deeds of torture and such like, with Bella this would have appeared to have worked has her loyalty to LV is flawless and fanatical.
It could also be a form of initiation...

Anyway, back on topic, I think that the reason that Bella is so loyal to Voldy is because he sort of took her under his wing and taught her the Dark Arts himself. I see her going through some sort of emotional trauma during her Hogwarts years, coming out of it feeling (initially) confused, weak and defenseless then that turning into anger and vindictiveness. Maybe Voldy, meeting her and seeing this anger, saw that she had what it takes to really shine in the Dark Arts and the prospect to become one of the most ruthless and loyal DE's that he could ever have. He then began to teach and mentor her. He saw her as someone capable of real servitude and she saw him as something of a God. She felt powerful again. She could manipulate anyone she wanted to by any means necessary. In her view, he gave her power and for that she is eternally grateful to him.

I would be interested to find out how they initially met. Was it while she was at Hogwarts, or after? Did she meet him through other Blacks or perhaps through the Lestranges? I would really be fascinated with more back story on her (are you reading this Jo?), but I don't see how it would help us plot-wise in 7... Oh well.

all the best,
la femme


__________________
W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade One: Outstanding
W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade Two: Exceeds Expectations
Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
  #59  
Old November 4th, 2006, 6:10 pm
horcrux4's Avatar
horcrux4  Female.gif horcrux4 is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4984 days
Location: Sheffield UK
Age: 73
Posts: 2,167
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius View Post
But below that, she would see those among her family and friends that she believes share her values also enjoy success and happiness.
Do you think Bella has known happiness or would recognise it if it danced naked in front of her wearing Dobby's tea cosy? Success, yes, she regards that highly, and also the reward of Voldemort's favour. But someone as fanatical and in some ways embittered as Bella is unlikely to be happy in any circumstances.

I agree that she doesn't attack Narcissa when she could - and should if she was putting the Dark Lord first. She did help Draco to prepare for his task - though one wonders who the Occlumency was to be used to protect against.

As for why she acted as bonder to the UV, I'd assumed it was more to hobble Snape who she clearly still distrusts. I put her distrust largely down to jealousy that he seems to have taken over as Voldemort's favourite while she has slid down the ranks.


__________________
Meet Mickey, my new kitten!
Quote:
"From this time forth we shall be leaving the firm foundation of fact and journeying together through the murky marshes of memory into thickets of wildest guesswork."
Albus Dumbledore, HBP
  #60  
Old November 4th, 2006, 10:03 pm
arithmancer's Avatar
arithmancer  Undisclosed.gif arithmancer is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5099 days
Location: The Hogwarts Boathouse
Posts: 7,938
Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
Do you think Bella has known happiness or would recognise it if it danced naked in front of her wearing Dobby's tea cosy? Success, yes, she regards that highly, and also the reward of Voldemort's favour. But someone as fanatical and in some ways embittered as Bella is unlikely to be happy in any circumstances.
I am sure Bella was, or believed she was, happy when she escaped from Azkaban and was recognized by Voldemort as a useful and loyal follower.


__________________
The Sorting Hat says I belong in Slytherin.



“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.


Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 4:07 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.