Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies

Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Old July 7th, 2007, 11:14 am
Lycanthrope

Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Umm what gives anyone the idea that Bella thinkis Voldemort is infallible? He was struck down by a baby; he lost again at the tri-wiz tourney; he failed at the Ministry during the Dept. of Mysteries catastrophe and bella is aware of these things.

She also knew that he was too weak to waltz right into the DOM and grab the prophecy for himself; kill Dumbledore himself and she didn't trust Snape when Voldy did.

I think she knows he has limits, I think she just realizes he is a great wizard and if he wins against Harry (and the order), he WILL rule and she will be in a place of honor.

Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2007, 1:47 pm
Master Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
Umm what gives anyone the idea that Bella thinkis Voldemort is infallible? He was struck down by a baby;
what might make some of us think she believes in him completely is the fact that AFTER he's been defeated by a baby, Bella still willingly goes to Azkaban for him. Obviously, she hasn't minded, she goes to prison like a queen.

And Dementor-guarded Azkaban, we have learnt, isn't likely to make people more sane.

Quote:
3. What kind of relationship do you think that Bellatrix had with her cousin, Sirius, for her to so easily battle against, and ultimately have a hand in killing him?

Easily battle against? Read the book again. If he hadn't fallen, she would likely be goners.
I thought the question aimed at, 'why would she so readily ('easily') murder her own cousin? How might the relationship among those two have looked like in the past?'

Old July 7th, 2007, 6:10 pm
Forum Elephant

I think people overlook the fanatical nature of Belatrix and the fact that she wants to be the most honored and trusted servant of VM. She probably wanted Snape to be a traitor, it would both eliminate the competition and provide a way to endear herself further to her master. Her mistrust and suspicions are probably just as strong towards other DEs as well.

Vote your own issues. Nah, just vote the way I tell you to.
Old July 7th, 2007, 6:14 pm
Master Seer

yes, that's what I think, too. She doesn't like rivals for the Dark Lord's attention, and Snape appears like the number one combatant for the job, all the more since HBP

Old July 7th, 2007, 7:34 pm
Forum Elephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur du mal View Post
yes, that's what I think, too. She doesn't like rivals for the Dark Lord's attention, and Snape appears like the number one combatant for the job, all the more since HBP

Tank you for that nod, I appreciate support, especially on these threads!
Do you also see the possibility that she might actually attempt to eliminate the compitition given the chance? I think that would be consistant with her character.

Vote your own issues. Nah, just vote the way I tell you to.
Old July 7th, 2007, 7:51 pm
Master Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldLupin View Post
Tank you for that nod, I appreciate support, especially on these threads!
Do you also see the possibility that she might actually attempt to eliminate the compitition given the chance? I think that would be consistant with her character.
That was no nod, but genuine agreement

I can see her wanting to eliminate Snape - and perhaps this was also the reason why she acted the way she did in Spinner's End. I wondered why she'd allow Narcissa to 'betray' Voldemort... After she just said that she'd be proud to sacrifice her own son - if she had one - for her master's crusade, it appeared weird to me that she'd cheat on her master only because her sister was having a bit of a nervous breakdown. Perhaps she thought that this could be an option of getting rid of Snape, a bit similar to what Voldemort had in mind with Draco - 'either this greasy bloke isn't true to our cause in the first place and wouldn't kill Dumbledore so he'd drop dead OR he is killed while trying to fulfil the Vow OR the master kills him for his disobedience (because he was supposed to stay in Hogwarts as a spy even after Dumbledore's death)'

Having said this - she might WANT to get rid of Snape - I must say that I don't see her succeeding. Simply because I believe Snape to be one hell of a sharp mind, and Bella... Well, her grip with reality isn't what it's supposed to be, is it.

Old July 7th, 2007, 8:19 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

I agree with you too, OldLupin. To me it was clear at Spinner's End that she hated Snape and tried to discredit him every chance she got. I'm sure she would eliminate the compitition if she had the chance. There is a thread around here about why Bella wasn't at the Tower when Dumbledore died. I think she might not have been there because she would try to interfere, to make herself look better.

Old July 7th, 2007, 8:39 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

I think that Bella would spread disinfo and the like to get ahead in the DE pecking order (the collective delusion that they all have that there is a "favorite"), but I don't see her physically killing another DE or the like. That could risk the wrath of Voldemort. But it'd please her to no end to manipulate Voldy into killing another DE who "stood in her way". She just doesn't realize that Voldy has no "favorite", he only has DE's who have failed him recently and DE's who haven't.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old July 8th, 2007, 12:31 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
I thought the question aimed at, 'why would she so readily ('easily') murder her own cousin? How might the relationship among those two have looked like in the past?'
Ahh...well that would require a better answer then. But it is an easy answer. She hated Sirius and everything he stood for. He was the total opposite of her with respect to her belief system. She always hated him even when she was younger, once it was evident that he was going to break from the mold (something she did not do). Sirius hated Voldy and she had great respect, honor, love, etc for the man.

It was likely as "easy" for him to murder her as it was for her to murder him. She was a sworn DE and he had as little regard for her as she did for him. They were both likely thinking that putting an end to the life of the other would be best for wizard kind.

There is also the fact that they had both suffered through Azkaban and that just made them both a little more nutters than usual. Sirius likely suffered less as from his own admission being a dog helped, but each had a slight (or greater) tweak to the mind going at that point and I think it made killing the other just that much easier.

Old July 8th, 2007, 12:42 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

I don't think that Sirius and Bella had much of a relationship in the past. Sirius had made a clean break with his family, and they probably only knew each other up until the age of 13-15 or so. They were in different houses, and Sirius ran away from home, so they probably had little if any interaction for about 10 years or so before they both got to Azkaban. I don't think it pained Bella at all to kill Sirius - he basically wasn't family to her.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old July 8th, 2007, 1:02 am
Third Year

Yes, Bellatrix does seem to hold the delusion that she is (or has the ability) to be Voldemort's most trusted and valued servant. She's fanatical and evil. But even she has a soft side: her sister. She has shown the same faults as the other Death Eaters and VM himself (they are determined to ignore Harry and Company's threat) and her fanatical nature is not something we see in his other followers. Most of the Death Eaters are there mostly out of fear (there are other motivations, but fear is always there). Bellatrix is fearful of VM, but mostly because she doesn't want to lower her status as the most revered DE. Her relationship has struck me almost romantic (at least on her part). It's hard to put my finger on it, because her feelings toward him are more than that of a servant.

UNIQUE: Just because you are unique does not mean you are useful.

MySpace is fun.

Proud member of OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Old July 8th, 2007, 1:11 am
Lycanthrope

I like that you point out her soft side Weas. It is true, despite everything she has been through (torture by Voldy and Azkaban) she still has a capacity for love (not totally nutters). Who knows, maybe when Voldemort dies she'll jump through the veil and throw Sirius back out...

Old July 8th, 2007, 1:27 am
Third Year

Well, she's not as evil as VM but I don't see her helping anyone out. Except herself, or more likely, VM. She deserves death in Deathly Hallows almost as much as VM, Pettigrew and Greyback do. Neville's parents, Sirius Black and countless others were tortured or killed at her hands. Can't forget that. No redemption for that.

UNIQUE: Just because you are unique does not mean you are useful.

MySpace is fun.

Proud member of OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Old July 8th, 2007, 1:33 am
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
I like that you point out her soft side Weas. It is true, despite everything she has been through (torture by Voldy and Azkaban) she still has a capacity for love (not totally nutters). Who knows, maybe when Voldemort dies she'll jump through the veil and throw Sirius back out...
Remember what Bella's main reason was for following Narcissa to Snape's, she didn't want her to go behind Voldemort's back and spill secrets to the "traitor" Snape.
I guess you can see this as an act of sisterly love. Bella didn't want Narcissa to anger Voldemort and get hurt/killed.
I'm not sure if Bella can feel love or compassion in the true sense of the words. She seems more than happy to offer up Draco to Voldemort. She even says if she had sons, she would be glad to give them up so they could serve Voldemort. This doesn't sound like the words of a sane/loving women.
I don't think she can be redeemed. She might have some feelings for her sister. But I think if the situation was right (like Narcissa completely going against Voldemort) she would kill her.

Old July 8th, 2007, 2:00 am
Second Year

1. I dont think that Bella would have any romantic feelings for voldemort, i think maybe that the influences her family had on her would have a huge impact, I've always imagined that Bella would of joined the Death eaters is probably to have a sense of belonging, maybe even feelings that shes needed. I can imagine that her family would of treated her like an object as such, not caring for her as a daughter, but maybe "caring" for her as to where she could be in society.I think that she has devoted herself to Voldemort because she feels needed and accepted, shes probably too evil now to really have those insecurities but im guessing that maybe she did as a younger girl.

2. I dont think it has anything to do with a prior relationship to Snape, i think that its the fact that he is very good at occlumency and may even have the power to decieve Voldemort, also how he already seems such a good spy/lier/deciever for all those years under Dumbledores guide, that it could be very easy to be a double spy.She's probably more concerned of the fact that Voldemort may be betrayed, rather then her trust in him.

3. They probably had a very hostile relationship towards eachother, given that Sirius was disowned from his own family, Bella growing up in an anti muggle environment would of passionately believed that Sirius was hanging around "filth" and from that, they probably did not get along very well and probably because he was simply part of the order and being Voldemorts most loyal supporter, why wouldnt she kill him?

4. Tom riddle was said to be somewhat somewhat of a genius, if he could have discovered the chamber of secrets all by himself without anyone knowing, i am pretty sure he could find a way to keep their cause hidden. Also because tom was so well liked throughout the school with many admirers, the soon to be deatheaters were his friends, so that would of contributed to their willingness to join him.

5. Bellatrix's fondness for the Cruciatus curse tells us that she has a VERY sadistic personality, and maybe grew up seeing others being put in pain, maybe to her cousin Sirius, to muggleborns etc.

6. Im not really sure on what role Bella would play in book 7, but i think some form of justice will be served on her, i think Neville may be the one to defeat her, it would be a wonderful revenge plan.

"Thats the beautiful thing about being human," he told me.
"Things change...."

*** I love Edward Cullen! ***
Old July 8th, 2007, 4:42 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
I think that Bellatrix has murdered so often in the past that she doesn't think about it anymore. Sirius says that they hadn't seen each other in years, and Bellatrix would just think of him as another enemy of the Dark Lord. Murder is too well ingrained in her for her to think twice.

Old July 8th, 2007, 6:35 am
First Year

Going back to the idea of Bellatrix not being above getting rid of the competition for Voldemort's favor, I think she might've done just that in HBP.

It's a bit of a stretch, but follow me. Snape, at Slughorn's Christmas party, speaks to Draco, and attempts to use Legilimency against him. Draco is able to block him, using Occlumency skills that Snape says he'd learned from Bellatrix.
Draco, we know, was charged with killing Dumbledore. Snape was attempting to figure out what his plan of action was, but couldn't. Draco himself was blocking Snape, because he wanted the glory from Voldemort for completing his mission, rather than having Snape take it. Snape had promised in the Unbreakable Vow to keep Draco safe, and help him where possible.
Bellatrix, of course, knew of the Vow. She also hates Snape, and quite possibly sees him as competition for the spot of Voldemort's "favorite." She knew that if Snape failed in his duties as listed by the Vow, he'd die. By teaching Draco Occlumency, it keeps Snape out of the loop, so when Draco finally impliments his plan, and fails (I don't think anyone thought for a minute he'd succeed), Snape would be killed, unable to keep up his end of the Vow.

It's a complex plan, and it requires a lot more sublety than I thought Bellatrix possessed, but it fits her. Sneaky, underhanded, and using any means at her disposal to achieve her ends. She'd even put her nephew in the line of danger for her own gain.

You are not prepared....

"A denial !! [x9]"
-"Nirvana

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies