Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies

Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis



 
 
Thread Tools
  #481  
Old July 9th, 2007, 3:20 am
arithmancer's Avatar
arithmancer  Undisclosed.gif arithmancer is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5098 days
Location: The Hogwarts Boathouse
Posts: 7,938
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
That is why I think she will take away his money, give him a run of the mill job and make people dislike him (not follow or worship him in the least). I won't like that ending because it would put a lie to the fact that he was a bright, cunning and resourceful person in his youth AND rich, snobby, etc.

But I am sure she will want him to "pay", she has said so again and again. 'Bully's must get their due' - her big lesson for the kids.
I really don't think Rowling is that sort of writer, writing heavy-handed morality stoties to teach little children lessons. I think she would avoid the ending you propose for the same reason you give above. She wrote Draco as a bright, cunning, and resourceful person, and I think whatever end he comes to willl not change those facts.

About the attempted Crucio in the bathroom - because Harry was quicker with his curse, we don't know that Draco could actually have gone through with it any more than he could have killed Dumbledore. Recall that we have seen Harry try that same spell, without much success, in OotP.


__________________
The Sorting Hat says I belong in Slytherin.



“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.


Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Sponsored Links
  #482  
Old July 9th, 2007, 4:11 am
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 4959 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius View Post
I really don't think Rowling is that sort of writer, writing heavy-handed morality stoties to teach little children lessons. I think she would avoid the ending you propose for the same reason you give above. She wrote Draco as a bright, cunning, and resourceful person, and I think whatever end he comes to willl not change those facts.

About the attempted Crucio in the bathroom - because Harry was quicker with his curse, we don't know that Draco could actually have gone through with it any more than he could have killed Dumbledore. Recall that we have seen Harry try that same spell, without much success, in OotP.

Well JKR has said in interviews about Draco that she wished people would not fall in love with the character because he represents a selfish bully of the worst sort. She said that those kind of people may later come to determine they are misguided, but that they will still have to pay the consequences. (That is a paraphrase - u can see her exact words on Lexicon).

So what is she going to do to show he is or has paid the consequences? Kill him? I doubt it. I think she will show it in some way and the only way I can think of is hardship. I can't see her writing an epilogue where he "turns good, raises a great family, is wealthy, happy and wise." That would be more in line with his character perhaps, but there is no lesson taught there.

Well I suppose everyone reads into things as they like, but I believe Draco very well would have finished that curse at Harry in the bathroom. That does not make him an unredeemable person; Harry after all got one off as well against Snape (tho it was deflected). I can't imagine you are trying to say that Draco is really a "good guy" because he has never shown any traits of being one.

He has only shown traits of being mean-spirited, a bully, intent on evil, ready to do harm and sarcastic. He only backtracked on the tower when he found himself up a creek with no paddle. If he is the one who gets a reprieve for all that he has done wrong so far, I don't think JKR will let him off easy.

May sound like I don't like Draco, but I found him funny; one of my favorite characters she created.


  #483  
Old July 9th, 2007, 4:41 am
arithmancer's Avatar
arithmancer  Undisclosed.gif arithmancer is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5098 days
Location: The Hogwarts Boathouse
Posts: 7,938
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
So what is she going to do to show he is or has paid the consequences? Kill him? I doubt it. I think she will show it in some way and the only way I can think of is hardship. I can't see her writing an epilogue where he "turns good, raises a great family, is wealthy, happy and wise." That would be more in line with his character perhaps, but there is no lesson taught there.
I have read that interview, thanks! I don't see why whatever suffering Draco experiences has to be permanent, especially as Draco is showing signs of learning (lowering his wand, etc.). If anything, I would say that sends the wrong lesson - it suggests there is no point to changing.

Quote:
Well I suppose everyone reads into things as they like, but I believe Draco very well would have finished that curse at Harry in the bathroom. That does not make him an unredeemable person; Harry after all got one off as well against Snape (tho it was deflected).
We don't know that Harry's curse would be any more effective against Snape than against Bellatrix. I tend to think it might be because of the depth of feeling Harry has towards Snape, but I don't think we know that, either.

Quote:
He has only shown traits of being mean-spirited, a bully, intent on evil, ready to do harm and sarcastic. He only backtracked on the tower when he found himself up a creek with no paddle.
As Dumbledore cogently explained, by the time Draco got to the Tower, he was dealing with the additional pressure that if he failed, he and his parents would all be killed. Yet even with all that, Draco did not kill Dumbledore. At least in the short run, that would seem to me to have been the easier choice for Draco. Dumbledore was there, and he was unarmed, there was really nothing preventing him except his own unwillingness.


__________________
The Sorting Hat says I belong in Slytherin.



“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.


Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
  #484  
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:26 am
Fleur du mal  Female.gif Fleur du mal is offline
Master Seer
 
Joined: 5836 days
Posts: 2,809
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
He has only shown traits of being mean-spirited, a bully, intent on evil, ready to do harm and sarcastic. He only backtracked on the tower when he found himself up a creek with no paddle. If he is the one who gets a reprieve for all that he has done wrong so far, I don't think JKR will let him off easy.

May sound like I don't like Draco, but I found him funny; one of my favorite characters she created.
I believe that most readers will agree without much discussion that Draco is a nasty bully. But as so often pointed out, the world isn't divided among good people and death Eaters (and excuse me for once more repeating this commonplace). What he is not is bad to the core. Yes, it takes absolute will to do Adava Kedavra, and maybe it's also very difficult to perform, I got no idea. But the point is, he could have killed off Dumbledore in many other ways, for example a spell pushing him over the rampart, by blasting the rampart, make Dumbledore lose balance and fall, and a dozen other possibilities. He couldn't do that, even though he thought his mother would pay with her life for that. Then the other Death Eaters came and pushed him - Greyback was there and Draco appears to be genuinely frightened of him. Still, he did nothing to save himself (and he had no idea that his protector Snape would finally show up).

There is a very broad space between the Fangirls claiming Draco's all fluffy at heart, and the complete condamnation his enemies cry for. I thought that HBP had really manifested that point (at least the fangirls have become quieter). Draco is suffering, and he's going to suffer a whole lot more in DH (I'm 99% sure that at least one of his parents will bite it, and then he's got to live with the idea that he might have saved them, which is the worst punishment I can imagine).

And yes, I think at least the people posting on this thread have all read the interview in question. I agree with JKR's warning to the female readers not to attach themselves to a character like Draco. It doesn't follow though that he is rotten to the core, just someone royally unpleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius
I really don't think Rowling is that sort of writer, writing heavy-handed morality stoties to teach little children lessons. I think she would avoid the ending you propose for the same reason you give above.
Absolutely, I don't believe she's going to cram out the big wooden mallet to knock it into the readers' heads. Between the lines, there is plenty of morals conveyed already, but in a way that takes the reader serious and doesn't patronise them.

And another moral that I like very much though it's not explicitly written down -
the Malfoys are very much attached to each other as a family. Draco isn't in the dire position he is in now simply because he is a bully who thinks he's better than someone like Hermione - there are probably dozens of students thinking exactly the same. He is there because Lucius acted the way he did twenty or more years ago. I'd say that the message in this is that as a father, you have a responsibility - mere love for your son isn't enough; buying him broomsticks and bullying whoever annoys your kid isn't what it is about to be a parent. Lucius made a choice ages ago that his son is forced to partake in paying for now; knowing the first thing about Voldemort, Lucius could have foreseen that danger, but he was careless, perhaps overestimated his own capabilities, maybe he also followed a whim seeing only the opportunities that joining up offered him. If nothing else, he should have considered the consequences on the long run, and if not for himself, at least for his loved ones. Compare it to a father in the 'real world' who commits some major criminal deed, landing himself in prison and rendering his family to the contempt of the neighbourhood - that man, too, would have to accuse himself not only of the deed in itself, but of not thinking of his family and what it means for them. Loving means taking responsibility.


__________________

Last edited by Fleur du mal; July 9th, 2007 at 11:43 am.
  #485  
Old July 11th, 2007, 1:09 am
michmud  Female.gif michmud is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4700 days
Location: Portland, Oregon USA
Age: 30
Posts: 19
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

When we first meet Draco, Harry sees him as a pampered, snobbish, bully. Did JKR plant the seeds from the beginning that he would grow to be a Death Eater?

For some reason I remember when Draco ran from Voldemort in the Forbidden forest in his first year. I always wondered what would happen if he ever joined him. As for planting seeds, I always thought that Draco lacked the guts to join Voldemort...seems I was wrong.

Is Draco truly making his choices of his own volition? How much of his choice is derived from fear, or is it bravado?

Draco always staunchly supported the cause that Voldemort championed, remember the end of GoF? But now he was probably making his choices out of fear, fear for his family's life perhaps?

Draco has used name-dropping (his father’s and Voldemort’s) and his wealth in an attempt to befriend people. He was truly dumbfounded when all Harry could muster was a “that don’t impress me much” reaction to his attempts.

Is he misunderstood? Or just plain mean?

I think that he is misguided. He was raised a certain way and he is a product of that childhood. But eventually comes down to the choices he made or makes. He is no longer a child.

With Daddy Lucius cooling his heels in Azkaban, and becoming a neophyte Death Eater, does Draco have the cold-heartedness to live up to the Death Eater Code of Conduct?

No, he is a scared young man that probably doesn't know what to do with the choices he has made.

Does he really wish to cause harm to anyone, including Harry?

He hates Harry, he probably would like to cause harm to him but I doubt that Draco could kill anyone.

The end of HBP has Dumbledore's death a fait accompli, but not by Draco's hand. How will his failure to carry out Voldemort's order, himself, be perceived by Voldemort and the other Death Eaters?

I fear for Draco, funny since he is one of my least favorite characters. I don't know if it will be enough that Dumbledore was killed. Perhaps Voldemort will be so overjoyed (can't imagine that!) that Dumbledore died that he will overlook the fact that Draco did not fulfill his orders but I seriously doubt it.

If he survives their wrath, can he ever be saved? Can he, or will he, help Harry bring down Voldemort?

I really don't know.


__________________
I will only truly have left this school none here are loyal to me... Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it. ~ Albus Dumbledore (HP & CoS)

I don't go looking for trouble. Trouble usually finds me.
~ Harry Potter

  #486  
Old July 11th, 2007, 3:42 am
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 4959 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Draco was a nasty bully who threatened, did numerous bad acts and primed himself for death eaterhood for 6 books. His sole act of any character redemption was on the tower. Even then, the whole time he was the same person and the only thing he didn't do was "murder".

JKR I truly felt had him pegged to die. I think he is the character that will be redeemed. I agree with Fleur that he will suffer in DH, but I think she is going to make him suffer a lot more than everyone else seems to think. It would be the fangirls dream to see him suffer and then end up living in a mansion with his lovely wife in a life of leisure.

That would mean that you can be nasty and horrible your whole life, change your mind, suffer a little for it and then go on to have a wonderful life of ease. I don't think that is the message JKR is trying to get across. I may be wrong, but I see an epilogue of horrible proportions for Draco. (Not that it will matter ONE bit, the fangirls will immediately write a dozen fanfics where someone in the golden trio rescues him and gives him his life back. Face it, even if she killed him, they'd ressurect him, so JKR really should just give up)

I do like your other points Fleur, I think those lessons you pointed out are very good and valid. I believe they are demonstrated in exactly the way you say they are.


  #487  
Old July 11th, 2007, 7:33 am
QueenHatshepsut  Undisclosed.gif QueenHatshepsut is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4540 days
Posts: 10
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

I don't think Malfoy is a bad person. No, I don't think he's particularly nice either, but I don't find him to be evil. He to me has always seemed like a scared little boy. His family has instilled this shameless pride and a superiority complex in him. He has a sense of entitlement and a need to feel better than others but I still don't think he's malevolent. He looks up to his father and tries to be like him. If not for his upbringing, I think he'd be a much nicer kid. He makes me wonder how Harry would have turned out with a childhood like Malfoys.

Draco has been rude and mean to Harry, no doubt. He was rejected by Harry the first time he met him and took that as enough of a reason to loathe him probably for as long as he'll know him. He's caused trouble and he's been proud and excited about becoming a Death Eater. Yet, when given what should have been an exciting and enjoyable task for an evil man, Draco couldn't go through with it. He dropped his wand, he didn't kill Albus Dumbledore. That moment for me separated an annoying, proud, and immature young man from a truly evil being. Sure, he wanted to gloat about being a part of something so huge and so mysterious, but when it came down to it, he couldn't follow through. He's not evil. Rude? Yes. Obnoxious? Most certainly. But evil, he has not shown to be.


  #488  
Old July 11th, 2007, 8:50 am
wickedwickedboy's Avatar
wickedwickedboy  Undisclosed.gif wickedwickedboy is offline
Lycanthrope
 
Joined: 4959 days
Location: Running with the Werewolves
Posts: 9,427
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

I totally agree with you Queen. I don't think Draco is evil either. But he is a bad boy and according to JKR he deserves to be punished for it. I guess there is a lot of room for speculation on just how harsh that punishment will be.


  #489  
Old July 11th, 2007, 9:58 pm
QueenHatshepsut  Undisclosed.gif QueenHatshepsut is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4540 days
Posts: 10
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
I totally agree with you Queen. I don't think Draco is evil either. But he is a bad boy and according to JKR he deserves to be punished for it. I guess there is a lot of room for speculation on just how harsh that punishment will be.
I think you're right. I mostly lurk, and have skimmed through this thread, and I agree there are a few ways JK could go with Draco. One, he could be killed to show that being rude and snobby won't get you anywhere in life and he'll be made an example of. However, I have a feeling that Draco may "see the light" so to speak. If he's just killed quickly for not following through with his task, its sort of anticlimatic. I'd feel like I'd wasted time reading about this character to never really see him change or do much of anything other than be annoying. If he realizes the error of his ways, I think it would be really interesting. I don't think he and Harry will ever like each other, but I would hope that Draco can realize the dire situation he got himself into and learn to do the right thing. Maybe he'll go into hiding, maybe he'll be killed, maybe he'll go crawling back to the Death Eaters and try to redeem himself. I don't think any of it is going to be particuarly enjoyable for him. There are a number of possible "punishments" that could be in store for him, and I can't wait to find out!


  #490  
Old July 27th, 2007, 3:50 am
Dramionelvr  Female.gif Dramionelvr is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4372 days
Location: Canada
Posts: 2
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenHatshepsut View Post
I don't think Malfoy is a bad person. No, I don't think he's particularly nice either, but I don't find him to be evil. He to me has always seemed like a scared little boy. His family has instilled this shameless pride and a superiority complex in him. He has a sense of entitlement and a need to feel better than others but I still don't think he's malevolent. He looks up to his father and tries to be like him. If not for his upbringing, I think he'd be a much nicer kid. He makes me wonder how Harry would have turned out with a childhood like Malfoys.

Draco has been rude and mean to Harry, no doubt. He was rejected by Harry the first time he met him and took that as enough of a reason to loathe him probably for as long as he'll know him. He's caused trouble and he's been proud and excited about becoming a Death Eater. Yet, when given what should have been an exciting and enjoyable task for an evil man, Draco couldn't go through with it. He dropped his wand, he didn't kill Albus Dumbledore. That moment for me separated an annoying, proud, and immature young man from a truly evil being. Sure, he wanted to gloat about being a part of something so huge and so mysterious, but when it came down to it, he couldn't follow through. He's not evil. Rude? Yes. Obnoxious? Most certainly. But evil, he has not shown to be.

I agree with QueenHatshepsut Drao isn't evil and hasn't proven himself to be...yet (I haven't read DH yet). I really do think that some of it has to do with the way Lucius makes sure that he's a good little pureblood and doesn't disobey Daddy. Sure he is consious of what he's doing, but nevertheless I don't think that he has the guts to stand up to the person that raised him or to say no to the only way of life that he knows. If Draco was taught that he can live life making his own decisions and that he can break away from his father and try to be his own person I'm sure that after sometime he would be able to become a better person. It makes me think that if he was brought up with love and in a nurturing environment like the Weasley home he would be different. Or atleast a bit more aware of other people's feeling and not be such a heartless, cold person.

I do think that some of it has to do with his surname "Malfoy," they have been a pureblooded family for centuries and as far as I can tell they've all been like Lucius and have supported the Dark Lord or have atleast liked the Dark Arts. So of course the tradition must go on because it would be a shame to ruin a tradition.


Of course this is all just a theory, but I don't truly believe that Draco Malfoy is actually evil. Or that he thinks for himself. I think that it's all in the way he was raised!

-Dramionelvr


  #491  
Old July 27th, 2007, 11:13 am
vrindadevi  Female.gif vrindadevi is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 5486 days
Posts: 39
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

I don't think he's evil either. I think that he's been raised to believe that he's better than everyone else, and to be ruthlessly competitive.
He's a bully, but as we all know bullies only hurt others because they feel bad about themselves. I agree with Dramionelvr that if he'd been raised by normal people like the Weasleys, encouraged to be a nice person rather than a vicious little creep, he might have turned out differently.


__________________
[no html allowed]

Dumbledore's Man Through and Through


Once a Vodemort-lovin', half-blood hatin' Death Eater, always a Voldemort-lovin',
half-blood hatin' Death Eater
  #492  
Old July 30th, 2007, 7:07 am
dh_deaths_rip  Male.gif dh_deaths_rip is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4369 days
Posts: 3
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

I'm sorry if this has been posted before (I really dont feel like reading 11 pages of posts) but now that I've been thinking, Draco must be a much better wizard than everyone thinks.

We all know that he's a decent wizard, about Ron's abilities, but in the second book, he makes a snake come out of his wand. Now if you remember in book six, Hermione is the only one with the ability to produce the birds fromt thin air, and we all know how good Hermione is with a wand. Snakes might not be the most complex creatures, but they probably take a bit more "oomf" than birds.

So the question, is Draco REALLY that good of a wizard? or is it something to do with his strong slytherin ties?

PS

Yay! My first post on CoS


  #493  
Old July 30th, 2007, 9:16 am
Fleur du mal  Female.gif Fleur du mal is offline
Master Seer
 
Joined: 5836 days
Posts: 2,809
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh_deaths_rip View Post
I'm sorry if this has been posted before (I really dont feel like reading 11 pages of posts) but now that I've been thinking, Draco must be a much better wizard than everyone thinks.

We all know that he's a decent wizard, about Ron's abilities, but in the second book, he makes a snake come out of his wand. Now if you remember in book six, Hermione is the only one with the ability to produce the birds fromt thin air, and we all know how good Hermione is with a wand. Snakes might not be the most complex creatures, but they probably take a bit more "oomf" than birds.

So the question, is Draco REALLY that good of a wizard? or is it something to do with his strong slytherin ties?

PS

Yay! My first post on CoS

Join the fun


My first reaction to your idea was 'well, but it was Snape who told him that spell'. But that doesn't explain how he made it work. Anyone can know a spell, performing it is quite a different business. You do have a very good point there.

All in all, I always thought that Draco was very gifted, but lazy to the bone. He does manage Occlumency, for example, which is supposed to be so advanced and difficult. He manages to control Madam Rosmerta for almost a year via the Imperius Curse - something I don't imagine to be that simple either. He's no genius like Hermione, but I think he's got more than average talent.


__________________
  #494  
Old August 1st, 2007, 1:35 pm
HeatPhoenix  Male.gif HeatPhoenix is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4420 days
Location: Auror Head office
Posts: 25
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

^^^Just like u said Draco can do Occlumency which Harry can't even do..But he did get defeated by Harry in the bathroom..and all in all his schemes in the sixth book were not so full proof ...They did not reach Dumbledore although I must say the poison mead plan was kinda good...but the necklace plan was just plain stupid and a bit obvious...


  #495  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 7:39 pm
magic1013  Female.gif magic1013 is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 5755 days
Location: exercising my Golden Snitch
Posts: 454
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatPhoenix View Post
Just like u said Draco can do Occlumency which Harry can't even do.
Ah, but Harry can do Occlumency. He did it to Snape during lessons, so it's not like others who simply can't speak or understand Parseltongue for instance. Harry chooses not to practice. He never applies himself. Something that frustrates me to no end. All that he has at his fingertips, the entire magical world has embraced him - something most of us would do a great deal for yet he wastes it all.


  #496  
Old August 5th, 2007, 2:12 pm
HeatPhoenix  Male.gif HeatPhoenix is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4420 days
Location: Auror Head office
Posts: 25
Re: Draco Malfoy: Character Analysis

Yeah but Malfoy actually applies Occlumency....Not using some thing and not knowing it is the same thing..Malfoy is more skilled in Occlumency...and Occlumeny is the skill of Closing ur mind not the skill of penetrating others thoughts...Harry countered Snape's spell allowing him to look into Snape's thought's...That was not Occlumency...


 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 5:52 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.